Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falconsin2012

To The Tankers

49 posts in this topic

I understand your desire for a top-5 pick.  It’s sexy and exciting.  But ask yourself this: if we lost the past 2 games, what would it say about our team?  If we lost to Arizona & Carolina, it would be a problem.  The team would be terminal and in need of a purge.  Thankfully we won convincingly.  That’s what a good team does.  It wasn’t perfect or pretty, but we asserted ourselves.  I’d rather go into the offseason looking like the team we all assumed we were 6 months ago.  It gives us reasonable hope for 2019.  If we lost 5 in a row to end the year, it would be a terrifying offseason.  Picking in the top-5 is great in a rebuild...but I’d rather pick 12th with reasonable expectations of playoffs and possibly more in 2019.

Edited by Falconsin2012

15 minutes ago, Steel City Falcon said:

It would say the team is as bad as we thought. Now with them winning pointless games, it gives Quinn a reason to second guess firing the OC and DC. Not to mention player evaluations.

Guess you see something different.  No worries.  From my POV, the foundation of a great team is still intact.  Just needs health and a reboot.  I for one am glad to see a semblance of the team we all thought we had.

There's not a serious fan who attends Falcons games or has a vested interest in this team who wants them to tank for a stupid chance at getting two or three draft chances higher.   

It would be a bad look, especially Cardinals.  I didn't think we were close to playing our best and we beat them (car and az) handily. To loose to them on purpose is for looser franchises. 

You can argue losing hurts the team more than lower draft picks as it takes away from the pride and mentality of what it means to be a Falcon. 

Browns have lost for two decades not because they didn't have high draft picks, but that being a Brown basically implied that your okay with losing.

Being a Patriot meant you win games even though you are picking 25+ every year. 

Every NFL player is a very capable athlete and like most things in life it comes down to your mentality and will to succeed. 

Xfactor and Falcons_Frenzy like this

53 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Losing while resting key banged up players and getting a look at your quality of depth is not a bad look 

That’s a different scenario.  I’m saying if we play our guys like it’s the playoffs.  Playing to win..playing through injury.  That’s what has been happening.  In this scenario , I’m glad we are winning and doing so easily.  If we had lost our franchise would be in disarray with more questions than answers..  Finish the drill and win out...I’ll feel much better about 2019 if we do so

29 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

That’s a different scenario.  I’m saying if we play our guys like it’s the playoffs.  Playing to win..playing through injury.  That’s what has been happening.  In this scenario , I’m glad we are winning and doing so easily.  If we had lost our franchise would be in disarray with more questions than answers..  Finish the drill and win out...I’ll feel much better about 2019 if we do so

idk I personally think the team is in disarray and has more questions than answers anyway

vitaman likes this

8 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

idk I personally think the team is in disarray and has more questions than answers anyway

It certainly has issues. But things are starting to improve which is a very good thing.  I’d rather see an improving team...it’s worth the 5-6 draft spots it will cost us IMO

12 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I understand your desire for a top-5 pick.  It’s sexy and exciting.  But ask yourself this: if we lost the past 2 games, what would it say about our team?  If we lost to Arizona & Carolina, it would be a problem.  The team would be terminal and in need of a purge.  Thankfully we won convincingly.  That’s what a good team does.  It wasn’t perfect or pretty, but we asserted ourselves.  I’d rather go into the offseason looking like the team we all assumed we were 6 months ago.  It gives us reasonable hope for 2019.  If we lost 5 in a row to end the year, it would be a terrifying offseason.  Picking in the top-5 is great in a rebuild...but I’d rather pick 12th with reasonable expectations of playoffs and possibly more in 2019.

I think this is the best statement I've seen on this board in sometime. It's rational, not attacking, and stated quite well. Although I wanted a high draft pick, I cannot argue this post at all.  Nicely done...

Falconsin2012 likes this

12 hours ago, 11=team said:

There's not a serious fan who attends Falcons games or has a vested interest in this team who wants them to tank for a stupid chance at getting two or three draft chances higher.   

I hate to shoot down your narrative, but we've lost a lot more than "2 or 3" spots...

NoTalentAssClown likes this

11 hours ago, TSprings said:

You can argue losing hurts the team more than lower draft picks as it takes away from the pride and mentality of what it means to be a Falcon. 

Browns have lost for two decades not because they didn't have high draft picks, but that being a Brown basically implied that your okay with losing.

Every NFL player is a very capable athlete and like most things in life it comes down to your mentality and will to succeed. 

Comparing any team to the Patriots is not using any form of critical thinking.  The Pats are the exception, and not the rule.  Wanting a higher draft pick does not make one a loser despite what many on these boards would have you believe.  Having a higher draft position can help in more than one round, and it gives you more options, trade down, more players to choose from, etc.  

13 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

A top 5 pick isn't just in the first round.  You get better valued picks throughout the draft and gives us a better chance to trade down for more picks.

Dutty Ole Bird likes this

14 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Comparing any team to the Patriots is not using any form of critical thinking.  The Pats are the exception, and not the rule.  Wanting a higher draft pick does not make one a loser despite what many on these boards would have you believe.  Having a higher draft position can help in more than one round, and it gives you more options, trade down, more players to choose from, etc.  

No but wanting your team to lose does.

Knight of God likes this

13 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Guess you see something different.  No worries.  From my POV, the foundation of a great team is still intact.  Just needs health and a reboot.  I for one am glad to see a semblance of the team we all thought we had.

Team is overrated, all it gives you is false hope that this isnt a sheet show and many of the inherent problems will not be remedied and show their ugly face again. I bet another blown lead we probably won't try to fix the OL or OC problem. I also think we roll with the same Dbs next season.

12 hours ago, TSprings said:

Browns are going to be one of the best teams next season. They should've been a playoff team this season if they didn't have one of the worst all time HC and beat us handily.

Tanking for a few spots higher for a pick that could possibly be a generational player is just a pipe dream.  Now changing mediocre coordinators for ones that are innovative and to build for a winning future is priceless. 

Knight of God likes this

15 hours ago, 11=team said:

Thats not true. Ive been a serious fan since the 80s, been to several games, and havent missed one on broadcast in years. That said 2 games ago i was all for tanking. We arent talking 2 or 3 places were talking top 5 to maybe mid round which could be 10-12 places. If youre going to tell me that many places dont change things id say you couldnt be more wrong. Ive seen enough pointless wins and moral victories to last id like to be in the best possible position to draft the best possible players.

15 hours ago, 11=team said:

22 minutes ago, falcon1fan said:

Thats not true. Ive been a serious fan since the 80s, been to several games, and havent missed one on broadcast in years. That said 2 games ago i was all for tanking. We arent talking 2 or 3 places were talking top 5 to maybe mid round which could be 10-12 places. If youre going to tell me that many places dont change things id say you couldnt be more wrong. Ive seen enough pointless wins and moral victories to last id like to be in the best possible position to draft the best possible players.

Um I am a serious fan (section 134 PSL holder) and I was at the game rooting for the cardinals to win in my #45 Deion Jones jersey.  Not by a blow out but 3 points would have made me one happy TRUE SERIOUS FALCON FAN who is INVESTED.  A top 6 pick isn't a guarantee but the value being that high up and the chances of it panning out over a top 15 pick is worth tanking.  A stupid chance? lol if we lost the cardinals and panthers game we would be sitting at the 4-5 spot versus where we are currently.  Once our season was over winning any more games was pointless.  This season was a loss and now its even more of a loss now that we are picking out of the top 10.  Getting a top 5 pick would have helped with the ****** season this team had.  I could care less for winning going into the offseason.  A 7-9 without making the playoffs is worse than a 5-11 season in my eyes as a SERIOUS FAN. I only care about winning and having a top 5 draft pick gives us better chances than a top 15.

16 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Exactly.

Tanking is for losers. Period. 

15 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

We were in disarray during the 2nd half of the 2015 season, how did we follow that up?

Does anyone have proof that how you finish a season affects how you start and finish the next or are people just making **** up to prove their point? 

Also seems like people have different take on what tanking is. Some think you want your team to throw the game. But most of us who are supporting "tanking" really just want us to lose. Not for the players or coaching staff to intentionally throw the game. 

Edited by Bobby.Digital

26 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

We were in disarray during the 2nd half of the 2015 season, how did we follow that up?

Does anyone have proof that how you finish a season has any correlation to how you start and finish the next or are people just making **** up to prove their point? 

Also seems like people have different take on what tanking is. Some think you want your team to throw the game. But most of us who are supporting "tanking" really just want us to lose. Not for the players or coaching staff to intentionally throw the game. 

This whole winning going in to the off-season helps with the following season is idiotic nonsense.  Football has one of the highest turnovers from year to year for a team.  Our team as a foundation might be the same but that's about it.  Winning at the end of this season will have no bearing whatsoever how we do next season other than giving DQ some doubt on whether to make some coaching changes in the off-season.  

I didn't want the falcons to get blown out but i wanted them to play a good game and lose on the last play or drive.  Pretty much how our season has played out.

Edited by Mgaffar
typo

4 hours ago, falcon1fan said:

...there is no such thing as a pointless win as teams are defined and remembered by their record.  Your methodology would certainly make the Falcons losers over years.  Football is a team sport and there is absolutely no evidence that tanking for a higher draft choice improves any chances of getting a Lombardi.  I can recall only one number 1 pick who became a SB MVP - Eli Manning.