mattyicefalcon

Falcons New O.C

107 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Another example of folks embellishing the OL blocking. Ryan wouldn’t be top 5 in every passing stat if pass blocking was “atrocious”.

True, maybe a bit overstated, but it's definitely not good either...

youngbloodz likes this

28 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

True, maybe a bit overstated, but it's definitely not good either...

I think the OL has been adequate in pass blocking considering circumstances. When playing behind and teams know you can’t or won’t run the ball, they tee off. I don’t care how good or bad your OL is, the QB is gonna be pressured under that scenario.

what I don’t get about this board are all the threads about a new O.C., and none about the horrible job the DC has done this season.

Pacific_Falcon likes this

18 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I think the OL has been adequate in pass blocking considering circumstances. When playing behind and teams know you can’t run the ball, they tee off. I don’t care how good or bad your OL is, the QB is gonna be pressured under that scenario.

what I don’t get about this board are all the threads about a new O.C., and none about the horrible job the DC has done this season.

Agreed.  You make a very good point about us having to pass, and therefore, they are pinning their ears back.  The lack of run blocking plays a huge part too.  

On the O.C. issue, I personally would keep Sark, and get rid of Manuel.  I've been saying that for sometime. A few pieces on the o-line, and this offense will be more consistent.  The pieces are there.  On the other hand, Manuel's defenses are too soft, make too many mistakes, etc.  I wish he would go.

Vandy likes this

2 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

What OC would really want to coach this Atlanta offense - he knows he would be expected to produce 2016 Falcons level numbers ASAP and have to deal with Quinn as the HC.

Quinn probably does NOT want a big name for an OC because he wants to be able to retain as much control over this team as possible.  He probably hated it when Shanahan was here to argue with him and purposely got Sarkisian who he knew would cave in to him instantly.

I really fear that Sarkisian is going to be "let go" at the end of 2018 and that all we will end up with is another guy just like him and another transition year for our offense.  The question then is whether Quinn could convince Blank to give him another year after 2019 since the offense was not fully-developed under the new OC.

You better be prepared to back up this level of conjecture on Christmas Eve, because it sounds like a load of B.S. to be honest.

Falconsfan567 likes this

3 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

I’m not either. Especially if the offense plays lights out next week. End of the day you can’t blame him for what’s stood out like a sore thumb. Poor blocking and drops

Agree. I don't think it's at all a sure thing he's going anywhere. But on the other hand if the team doesn't make any major changes at all, that would very likely create some backlash with fans and the media. One or two heads may have to roll to appease the fans who really expected this team to compete for a chance to play the SB in their own stadium.

Blank can handle having a new OC better than he can handle having a brand new, empty stadium on Sundays, even if the seats have actually been paid for. He and Quinn will just have to decide how much damage control is going to be necessary once the season ends.

I personally would replace him. Not because he's terrible, but because there are at least a handful of people who could get a lot more out of this offense than he ever will. First few weeks of the off-season are going to be way more exciting than the whole last half of the actual season.

ya_boi_j and Pacific_Falcon like this

10 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Agree. I don't think it's at all a sure thing he's going anywhere. But on the other hand if the team doesn't make any major changes at all, that would very likely create some backlash with fans and the media. One or two heads may have to roll to appease the fans who really expected this team to compete for a chance to play the SB in their own stadium.

Blank can handle having a new OC better than he can handle having a brand new, empty stadium on Sundays, even if the seats have actually been paid for. He and Quinn will just have to decide how much damage control is going to be necessary once the season ends.

I personally would replace him. Not because he's terrible, but because there are at least a handful of people who could get a lot more out of this offense than he ever will. First few weeks of the off-season are going to be way more exciting than the whole last half of the actual season.

Main thing I would change is whoever is calling defense. Quinn needs to take over 

46 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Agreed.  You make a very good point about us having to pass, and therefore, they are pinning their ears back.  The lack of run blocking plays a huge part too.  

On the O.C. issue, I personally would keep Sark, and get rid of Manuel.  I've been saying that for sometime. A few pieces on the o-line, and this offense will be more consistent.  The pieces are there.  On the other hand, Manuel's defenses are too soft, make too many mistakes, etc.  I wish he would go.

Keanu Neal 

Ricardo Allen 

Deion Jones

3 probowlers absent on defense with ZERO PASSRUSH from BEASLEY ...what did we think was gonna happen?

Our offense was relatively healthy overall but, FAILED to put up points when needed.

Defenses can easily PREDICT most of red zone and 3RD N SHORT playcalling.

We have ZERO CREATIVITY on offense with such plethora of PROBOWL TALENT.

Pacific_Falcon likes this

10 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

QB leads the NFC in passing yards, is completing 69% of his passes, has 33 TD passes and just 6 INT with the worst ground game in the NFL while being sacked the most times in his career and somehow he's the problem?

I just get so sick of the Matt Ryan hate that is so unjustified.

Our record this year when we get 100 yards rushing is 4-1. But QB is the problem!!! Worst part of being a fan of Atlanta sports fans is dealing with a fan base that doesn't crack an average of 70 IQ points. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

1 minute ago, Expert Poster said:

I'd prefer we go find the next innovative young coach to be the OC rather than go for retreads like Kubiak or Haley. 

Kubiak and Haley are "retreads" ? Ok! 

And where would you get these  next "innovative" "young" coach ?  At Home Depot Parking lot??

1 minute ago, mattyicefalcon said:

And where would you get these  next "innovative" "young" coach ?  At Home Depot Parking lot??

Yes, they are retreads--i.e. coaches that have been around at many different stops. You are aware that there are assistant coaches all across the NFL, right? It's the job of a head coach and front office to do their homework and identify promising candidates. 

3 minutes ago, Expert Poster said:

Yes, they are retreads--i.e. coaches that have been around at many different stops. You are aware that there are assistant coaches all across the NFL, right? It's the job of a head coach and front office to do their homework and identify promising candidates. 

Our front office lacks right personnel who knows how to scout right cordinators and players.....and heres an example Ill give you

Special Teams coordinator = Keith Armstrong 

This man should not have a job in NFL.

And fact that, hes still employed with FALCONS ORGANIZATION is troublesome and blatantly justifies lack of vision from ownership.

Unless and until Mr.Blank doesnt step in and take over ....I dont see anything positive happening.

If he could songle handedly bring championship to Atlanta United within 2 years of inception why cant he be involved in same way with Falcons.

I personally feel he has too much unwavering FAITH in Dimitroff/ Pioli and it may backfire.

4 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

I figured once Hue was fired they’d actually use him more but that wasn’t the case

To be fair Chubb is a great workhorse back, needs touches to be effective. Sucks for Duke because he’s such a good player. 

ya_boi_j likes this

6 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

Free would have struggled too behind this line. But Coleman's lack of vision and his inability to break tackles was just as frustrating to me

Correct, but I will say that Coleman the last 3 or so games looked much better, He is running with much better vision and also being a little more patient to let the blocks set up. Speaking of vision, there was a play late in the game yesterday where the blocking wasn't great, but good enough to get the first down and instead Brian Hill ran right straight into the back of the line. That legit pissed me off because Freeman would have seen the open spot and gotten the first down and the Falcons wouldn't have had to punt.

youngbloodz likes this

6 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

I think the issue is that Sark doesn’t seem to know how to use Coleman effectively. I believe Coleman is a #1 RB but the utilization of him seems to be incredibly dumb. 

I fully agree with this. I think Coleman would be perfect in the Rams offense this year. He's a single back type runner. He's not a traditional lineup and follow the fullback and find the small creases type of guy. Rams run 3 wides 70% of the time. Coleman would thrive in that offense.

Drew4719 and Sidecar Falcon like this

6 hours ago, Vandy said:

It needs some work, but near as bad as ya’ll have claimed. Any OL anchored by Mack and Matthews isn’t awful. 

The running game issues have been more about the RB’s. 

But Mack hasn't been very good this year. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that it has more to do with the guard situation than it is him, but the only guy that has been good from start to finish this year is Matthews.

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

I fully agree with this. I think Coleman would be perfect in the Rams offense this year. He's a single back type runner. He's not a traditional lineup and follow the fullback and find the small creases type of guy. Rams run 3 wides 70% of the time. Coleman would thrive in that offense.

Rams offensive line is ridiculous. They literally picked CJ Anderson up off the street and the dude ran for over 100 yards. 

Falconsfan567 and Drew4719 like this

7 hours ago, Vandy said:

A healthy Free wouldn’t have. 

LOL, Teco has proven this year he’s not a #1. 

OL is not as bad as you & others here claim it is. Our RB’s inability to cut up has been just as big an issue as to why we are near bottom of league in running the ball. 

Our OL was ok until Pittsburgh.  It was only really bad for 5 games...But those games were so bad it sticks in your mind and forms a negative narrative. They have been much improved the last few games and I’ve been so happy with Ty’s improvement working the right side

Edited by Falconsin2012
Vandy and Drew4719 like this

22 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Rams offensive line is ridiculous. They literally picked CJ Anderson up off the street and the dude ran for over 100 yards. 

Meh, Anderson did that against worst run D in NFL. And he’s done it before. Brian Hill coming out of no where off our PS running for 100+ against a still good Panther run D was way more impressive IMO.

3 hours ago, mattyicefalcon said:

I’ve said it a few times but keep your eye on the 49ers QB coach.  He fits the mold and has spent years learning, teaching and implementing Shanny’s passing game.  Future stud

26 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

But Mack hasn't been very good this year. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that it has more to do with the guard situation than it is him, but the only guy that has been good from start to finish this year is Matthews.

Not very good? I can’t agree with that one, my friend.  Mack’s wearing down a little, but still is an upper tier NFC center. 

Drew4719 likes this

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Not very good? I don’t agree with that my friend.  Mack’s wearing down a little, but still is an upper tier NFC center. 

Like I said, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that it's the guards more so than him this year. He has earned that benefit in my book. But I've also seen him get manhandled more this year than he has at any other point in his career.