thanat0s

Pittsburgh's Pressure defense

20 posts in this topic

The Steelers are exactly the style of defense we should be playing with the likes of Brees, Newton and Rodgers on our schedule every year. They might get burned at times, but the relentless blitzing from every angle eventually wears on an OL and the hits on the QB pile up. This catch and release zone we play is a top QBs dream.

slickgadawg likes this

Does anybody know if Quinn started calling the defense again? We haven’t been perfect, but we seem to have been playing a little better on that side of the ball. I know having Debo back and playing some softer teams have helped, but we seem to be bringing more than just four on some plays and were actually blitzing today.

7 minutes ago, A Dog Named Brian said:

Does anybody know if Quinn started calling the defense again? We haven’t been perfect, but we seem to have been playing a little better on that side of the ball. I know having Debo back and playing some softer teams have helped, but we seem to be bringing more than just four on some plays and were actually blitzing today.

That's just Marquand Manuel trying to save his job now that he knows it's in jeopardy.

Just now, Hard2BaBirdWachr said:

That's just Marquand Manuel trying to save his job now that he knows it's in jeopardy.

Kind of what I was thinking, but happy to be wrong 

1 hour ago, Champagne said:

Man right now the Falcs are playing great. They got Debo back and would BEAT the Aints if they played now.

That is hilarious 

In my mind, any NFL offense with a half-decent QB, even a rookie, is capable of marching right down the field if you don't have pressure. Think about it, the average yards per play league wide is something like 6 yards. This means, on average, a team will never even get to 3rd down. So realistically there's only 2 logical ways an offense can be stopped:

1) They stop themselves due to penalties or a turnover.

2) You do something to disrupt them and throw them off.

Personally, I'd rather not wait around for option #1. It might happen with a poor team, but the playoff teams do not generally make many of those mistakes. This leaves option #2.

I don't care if you get beat deep occasionally, I'm taking my chances with extra pressure and mostly man coverage. I DO think you have to mix it up. But the basic philosophy should be that we will pressure and HIT the QB. And he will never get comfortable. Regardless of whether we have to bring 4, 5, 6, or even 7. 

That is how I prefer to play defense. Pretty much the way the Steelers do. And the Ravens. Teams KNOWN for great defenses.

16 hours ago, Champagne said:

Man right now the Falcs are playing great. They got Debo back and would BEAT the Aints if they played now.

You must be this tall to comment.

On 12/24/2018 at 11:50 AM, since68andcounting said:

I don't care if you get beat deep occasionally, I'm taking my chances with extra pressure and mostly man coverage. I DO think you have to mix it up. But the basic philosophy should be that we will pressure and HIT the QB. And he will never get comfortable. Regardless of whether we have to bring 4, 5, 6, or even 7. 

That is how I prefer to play defense. Pretty much the way the Steelers do. And the Ravens. Teams KNOWN for great defenses.

We consistantly have a "bend but don't break" defense. The coaches seem more worried about points against than actually stopping the opposing offense. Keeping them out of the endzone more often than not is fine, but when you absolutely have to keep them to a three and out, to get the ball back, you have no clue how to do that. You keep letting them get first downs and eat up what little clock you had left and needed for your offense.

You cannot simply change your philosophy when the mood or situation strikes. I haven't seen a single moment this season that tells me we are capable of actually game-planning that. How often in the past six or so years have we punted or kicked off knowing we needed a stop to get the ball back and tie or win the game, only to never get the ball back? I don't think I have ever had that kind of confidence in our defense or our coaches, and have never been shown to think otherwise.. 

On 12/23/2018 at 8:03 PM, mattyicefalcon said:

No!!

Please stop.

Agree we have played two awful OL and teams nothing to brag about but hey we did win lol

On 12/23/2018 at 8:02 PM, Champagne said:

Must be some good champagne. Please share with us what's in the glass.