LookAboutFalcon

Goodbye sweet high draft pick

138 posts in this topic

Momentum doesn’t carry over to the next season, but I also don’t concern myself with draft position. What actually matters is proper evaluation of coaches, schemes, players, and prospects

Vandy likes this

3 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

So if you have a different opinion, than you are a goon?  Very respectful...

If I think your opinion sucks........ Yea. I’m all for people having opinions, doesn’t mean they’re absolved of being called out on it. Not everybody agrees with me either and I’m ok with that. That’s what places like this are for, welcome to the boards

Ergo Proxy and Vandy like this

It's simple really. Having a top 5 pick doesn't mean you have to pick in the top 5. A pick with more value gives you a ton of more options in regards to trading back, picking that must have generational talent  or basically being able to stockpile picks for later or players to give you higher quality depth. We'll still have a good pick regardless because of this dud of a season but logic would tell you Matt Ryan is not going to be young forever. The more talented players you can acquire while he is around will give the Falcons a better chance at winning games that actually mean something. 

Zone#7 likes this

On 12/24/2018 at 1:32 PM, TheHeartless said:

This is a terrible comparison, why are you including QBs to freaking WRS and DEs, teams are gonna draft based off need. If you don't need DBs, you'd take Cox at 8 or whoever else for your D Line. If you need a potential franchise QB you're taking him period if you can.

You would want the guy drafted later in the draft in each instance, right?

That's the point, posters are claiming a top 5 pick is automatically a great pick, just pointing out that ain't necessarily so.

And, when some of the best pass rushers of the last few years were drafted 11-20, means you don't need a top 5 pick to find them.

But if you insist:

So, you want Jamaal Anderson or Aaron Donald?

Eric Curry at 6 or Fletcher Cox at 12?

Dion Jordan at 3 or Kerrigan at 16?

Gholston at 8 or J J Watt at 11?

Wadsworth at 3 or Tambi Hall at 20

Glen Dorsey at 5 or Jon Abraham at 13?

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:02 AM, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Comparing us to the Pats or Steelers is laughable...

Maybe, but I think you missed my point.

Teams like those go to show that getting top 10 picks isn't a sure way to become good. If it was, the Pats and Steelers wouldn't continually be good. If top 10 picks were the end all be all, why aren't the Browns, Raiders and Jags dominating the league yet?

Falconsfan567, Geneaut and Vandy like this

You can find great players later in the draft, so why on earth would any team want an earlier draft pick?  I just do not understand. It just does not make sense. Why on earth would any team want to draft earlier in round 2 or 3 or 4? Heck Tom Brady was selected in the sixth round. Why not trade your earlier picks and get as many sixth round picks as you can? I am sure other teams would trade. They do not know any better. You might find another Tom Brady there. Purple.

All teams want to win but all teams want earlier draft picks as well, just not at the cost of losing.

21 hours ago, falconidae said:

That's the point, posters are claiming a top 5 pick is automatically a great pick, just pointing out that ain't necessarily so.

And, when some of the best pass rushers of the last few years were drafted 11-20, means you don't need a top 5 pick to find them.

But if you insist:

Preach.

falconidae likes this

On 12/25/2018 at 4:04 PM, falconidae said:

But if you insist:

I'd rather trade down like the rams did and amass firsts and future firsts much like how they scored Donald. 

Bigbenright likes this

Yeah you can find great players in the mid-late first

You're just relying on the teams picking before you to not take them and for the draft to be very strong.

Bigbenright likes this

7 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I'd rather trade down like the rams did and amass firsts and future firsts much like how they scored Donald. 

WEll, Since we are so close to having a solid great group of players.. WE don't lack very many players to have one of the best teams in the league.. I think now is the time to try and get those top players at those needed positions... And try to make it happen next season.. We don't need to many players.. That is if our injured players this year will be able to come back 100 %;  I personally believe our main needs would be One or two OL just to make sure that's covered.Maybe a Vet and a drafted OL.. A must! Two ,, A hugh DE and not a LB Rusher.. And another Big Power back like Hill ,, But with more wiggle.  I like Hill thou.. He's a very large RB, , He can really help us over power opposing teams.. And lastly ,, I'd love to get another huge moble DT . I know there is more needs , but to me these are the most outstanding needs.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:21 PM, LookAboutFalcon said:

Winning 2 and possibly 3 against the bucs next week, meaningless games.  Squandered away  getting a true high end game changing talent being in the top 5 of the draft.  Well that is no longer the case.

And to the crowd saying this is great momentum going in to next season.  What a load of horse crap, I roll my eyes every time I see this.  What happened to our momentum from last year making the playoffs?  Exactly, even if having momentum going into next season argument was true, It wouldn't matter for this team, a lot of changes are going to happen heading into next season.  2 new coordinators, at least 2 new offensive line men.  New defensive linemen.

No one is going to look back on he 2018 season and be like "Yeah 2018 was a bad season, but you remember those 3 games we won at the end?  Good times!"

2018 is a lost season and to make it even worse is we lost out on having a top 5 pick.

so what  lol

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:23 AM, falconidae said:

So, who would you rather have?

Jamaal Anderson at 8 or Aaron Donald at 13?

Bortles at 3 or Beckham Jr at 12?

Justin GIlbert at 8 or Fletcher Cox at 12?

Dee Millner at 9 or Ryan Kerrigan at 16?

Charles Rodgers at 2 or Jason Pierre Paul at 15?

Joey Harrington at 3 or Brian Orakpo at 13

I can go on. And on.  I can find just as many busts in the top ten as you can find studs. I can find as many studs later in the draft as you  can find in the top ten.

I pointed out something similar the other day. 14 of the top 20 sack leaders all came outside of the top 10 with 1 being undrafted. just think of how many actual superstars in the league are outside of the top 10 while most top 10 guys don't start beyond their first few seasons