falcon22

Bruce Irvin

93 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

Irvin does the exact same thing as Vic. I’m OK with a cheaper deal, but Vic would land big $$$$ elsewhere if he was a UFA. Bringing back mediocre players is how you set a franchise back.

Agreed.  Someone will pay him more than the Falcons will...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

Irvin does the exact same thing as Vic. I’m OK with a cheaper deal, but Vic would land big $$$$ elsewhere if he was a UFA. Bringing back mediocre players is how you set a franchise back.

You need role players. Vic is not a game changing  #8 draft pick. However he can fill multiple roles and is better when asked to just get after the passer. Obviously the lack of relentlessness and technique leave a lot to be desired but he can be effective. You let him go and now we need a starting DE and situational pass rusher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stryka said:

You need role players. Vic is not a game changing  #8 draft pick. However he can fill multiple roles and is better when asked to just get after the passer. Obviously the lack of relentlessness and technique leave a lot to be desired but he can be effective. You let him go and now we need a starting DE and situational pass rusher

You don’t pay situational rushers who get single digit sacks 12 mil per. And Irvin is a better situational rusher anyway. So no, losing Vic and retaining Irvin keeps us where we were to start this season, plus 12mil to play with. 

vitaman likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

You don’t pay situational rushers who get single digit sacks 12 mil per. And Irvin is a better situational rusher anyway. So no, losing Vic and retaining Irvin keeps us where we were to start this season, plus 12mil to play with. 

Vic will not be retained for that price when we have to sign Grady. Vic will only be back on a smaller deal. He loves Atlanta. This is his dream team in rhe state where he is from. We added Irvin and only got marginally better rushing the passer. If we let Vic go we lose 5 to 6 sacks and his speed to spy mobile QBs. We then need to add 2 guys. Irvin is not a world beater. Over the course of a year he would have been projected to be at the same amount of sacks vic had the last couple years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Stryka said:

Vic will not be retained for that price when we have to sign Grady. Vic will only be back on a smaller deal. He loves Atlanta. This is his dream team in rhe state where he is from. We added Irvin and only got marginally better rushing the passer. If we let Vic go we lose 5 to 6 sacks and his speed to spy mobile QBs. We then need to add 2 guys. Irvin is not a world beater. Over the course of a year he would have been projected to be at the same amount of sacks vic had the last couple years. 

I agree. If Vic wants to stay at 6-7mil, I’m all for it. 

Geneaut, Stryka and Drew4719 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2018 at 4:10 PM, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

He’s a solid rotational piece. I think he and Beasley sitting snaps at a 50/50 rate is fine. I like Takk on the other side with whomever they want in a bigger base DE set.

We need to blitz and scheme better and I think our defense will improve to Top 15 with guys returning...

I don’t want to pay Grady ridiculous $$$, so we shall see what happens, but I do like Grady, Crawford, Senat and a rookie stud next year...

I’ve seen enough from Oliver to cut Alford...Tru want be gone next year. His contract is not favorable.

Will be interesting to see what we do with Kazee, Neal, Allen, Poole...

Neasman and others can pound sound...

Ishmal got fat...

Duke is fine as a depth LB and I like Deion at WLB, Campbell at SLB...I actually think we could entertain a true MLB like #40 from LSU???

Trufant and Alford will both be here next season. Its the following season that either or both contracts are cuttable. Get back the 3 main zone setters and the corner play will be much better. Allen, Neal, amd Jones shrink the throwing windows for qbs. We need to play better at corner, no doubt,  but creating more holes isn't the way to go. Lets get our guys back and get some type of consistent pass rush.

Stryka likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2018 at 0:12 PM, k-train said:

Yep, and since they know they can't move Tru due to his contract, he's still on the field. Alford meanwhile has a contract that makes him cuttable, and has recent level of play & age working against him... hence he's losing snaps to Oliver.  The fact that Oliver is looking a bit better with more time on the field could very well mean the end of the Alford-era in ATL.

Gotta strong feeling our top three CBs next year are gonna be Tru, Oliver, and Kazee... plus we'll add a FA & a mid-late round draft pick.

I honestly feel that if we cut Alford for the cap savings, we will make an offer to Poole to keep him in the fold.  He is versatile to play either slot or safety and with him being a RFA we will place a tender on him in order to receive a pick back for him...or well be able to keep him for only about 1.5-2 million next year.  Either way we are not breaking the bank for someone who has performed well at most times during his tenure here and or we are getting at least a third if someone really wants him bad enough.  The flip side to that is that if he does happen to perform above expectations next year if we keep him, we can let him walk and still get a comp pick in return down the line if we choose not to give him a new deal. 

k-train likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, federicofalcon2 said:

I honestly feel that if we cut Alford for the cap savings, we will make an offer to Poole to keep him in the fold.  He is versatile to play either slot or safety and with him being a RFA we will place a tender on him in order to receive a pick back for him...or well be able to keep him for only about 1.5-2 million next year.  Either way we are not breaking the bank for someone who has performed well at most times during his tenure here and or we are getting at least a third if someone really wants him bad enough.  The flip side to that is that if he does happen to perform above expectations next year if we keep him, we can let him walk and still get a comp pick in return down the line if we choose not to give him a new deal. 

100% agree we should keep Poole. Its cheap to keep him. Move Kazee to CB and let them battle for the Nickel spot.

Trufant has began improving and been solid in the 2nd half of the season in coverage. (Still scared to tackle a RB)

Oliver has looked decent in his little time out there and should be the #2 CB on the outside opposite of Trufant.

Cut Alford.

Draft a CB in the 4th or later or sign one for cheap for depth.

Ergo Proxy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

100% agree we should keep Poole. Its cheap to keep him. Move Kazee to CB and let them battle for the Nickel spot.

Trufant has began improving and been solid in the 2nd half of the season in coverage. (Still scared to tackle a RB)

Oliver has looked decent in his little time out there and should be the #2 CB on the outside opposite of Trufant.

Cut Alford.

Draft a CB in the 4th or later or sign one for cheap for depth.

Even if we move Kazee to Nickel we can still play Poole at 4th cb when Kazee is in slot or we can move Poole back to nickel when we play 3 safety defense.  

I also agree with the drafting of another CB possibly no later than 3rd because we may need someone to replave Tru in 2 or 3 years, I wouldn't even be opposed to cutting alford or keeping him if he takes a pay cut (which i dont think he will) because of him being so physical.  Yes they play off in the cover three but that's why I think he would make a good slot cb because he is so physical he would need to be inside to best utilize the way he plays.  But if we don't I still like the depth we have with or without him but keeping Poole and having the availbility to play players at multiple positions throughout the d.  

Oliver is very promising, I just hope he is able to use his size and skill to play like he did against Carolina and become that lockdown other side to Tru and create turnovers.  That would enable Neal to get back to being a inside the box enforcer and Allen to keep eliminating the downfield passes while also helping create turnovers, which, lol, in turn will help Kazee roam down near the line and being able to get involved with the ball more rather than sitting back (which he says he prefers corner opposed to safety because its boring just sitting back there).  We could have the best defensive backfield (i know we have heard it before) this league has ever seen if we can remain healthy and all the pieces fall into place.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2018 at 11:58 AM, trubirdfan4life said:

Trufant and Alford will both be here next season. Its the following season that either or both contracts are cuttable. Get back the 3 main zone setters and the corner play will be much better. Allen, Neal, amd Jones shrink the throwing windows for qbs. We need to play better at corner, no doubt,  but creating more holes isn't the way to go. Lets get our guys back and get some type of consistent pass rush.

I will MB bet you on Alford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2018 at 11:32 AM, Falcanuck said:

I agree. If Vic wants to stay at 6-7mil, I’m all for it. 

Someone wanna tell me how 6 sacks equals 7MM a year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, KCartledge85 said:

Someone wanna tell me how 6 sacks equals 7MM a year?

Did he take up 2 offensive linemen? Did he fill a hole so other players could attack the QB? Did he make other players around him better by stunts and other football tactics? Yes worth it, No well ok then. 

 

vitaman likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SeahawkFan80 said:

Did he take up 2 offensive linemen? Did he fill a hole so other players could attack the QB? Did he make other players around him better by stunts and other football tactics? Yes worth it, No well ok then. 

 

All of these are a big, F NO!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2018 at 3:22 PM, PriMeTiiMe said:

100% agree we should keep Poole. Its cheap to keep him. Move Kazee to CB and let them battle for the Nickel spot.

Trufant has began improving and been solid in the 2nd half of the season in coverage. (Still scared to tackle a RB)

Oliver has looked decent in his little time out there and should be the #2 CB on the outside opposite of Trufant.

Cut Alford.

Draft a CB in the 4th or later or sign one for cheap for depth.

If Alford restructured I wouldn’t mind keeping him as that veteran depth player. Keep him from playing all those snaps he has; STs and D snap counts add up on a vet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KCartledge85 said:

Someone wanna tell me how 6 sacks equals 7MM a year?

7mil isn't what it used to be in the NFL. Sanu makes 7mil. Vic also created more pressure than his sack total would indicate. Adrian Clayborn makes 5mil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

7mil isn't what it used to be in the NFL. Sanu makes 7mil. Vic also created more pressure than his sack total would indicate. Adrian Clayborn makes 5mil.

And Falcons were smart to let AC walk. I’d like to see ATL extend VB44, but his production doesbt come close to $7MM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now