falcon22

Bruce Irvin

93 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, stizz said:

Schrader, Alford, Levitre, Reed, Bosher...obvious cuts that can free up more space than needed to sign players to shore up the trenches and keep Julio happy. 

Cutting Bosher isn't necessary, but the rest should be done deals.

55 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Bosher is making like 3M and is in the bottom 3rd of league average. Don't be fooled by that big hit.

Embrace the suck likes this

3 hours ago, stizz said:

Schrader, Alford, Levitre, Reed, Bosher...obvious cuts that can free up more space than needed to sign players to shore up the trenches and keep Julio happy. 

Agree on these, but I was told Levitre is a FA after this season. If he could stay healthy I would want him to stay, but he hasn’t held up for a couple years now...and reoccurring muscle issues are generally a bad sign.

26 minutes ago, stizz said:

Bosher is making like 3M and is in the bottom 3rd of league average. Don't be fooled by that big hit.

He has fallen off as a punter, but he really is a great last line of defense on kickoffs and punts. He’s made some clutch tackles over the years, but I wouldn’t be against cutting him for someone younger and cheaper.

Stryka likes this

38 minutes ago, stizz said:

Not bottom third by avg or net avg. He's right around mid way for both. 

Stryka likes this

12 hours ago, MSalmon said:

Watch him, Crawford has become a very good DT. Grady has flashes that are dominant. But Crawford has been very steady and very good

I agree 100% that Crawford is very good. I don't think they are in the same pay grade though. With a little more consistency off the edge, and a big man to take situational snaps, it think we can build around them for sure. But, I really don't think Crawford = 100% of Jarrett. You pay less, but you also get a little less. To let Jarrett go over salary, they would have a make a supporting move (probably in free agency or trade). I really think they are forced to go OL in the draft. That said, we shall see. 

4 hours ago, stizz said:

3M is what it would cost to sign his replacement, or at least close to it. I just don't find it necessary, nor do I think 1-2mil is a deciding factor. 

13 hours ago, Drew4719 said:

He has fallen off as a punter, but he really is a great last line of defense on kickoffs and punts. He’s made some clutch tackles over the years, but I wouldn’t be against cutting him for someone younger and cheaper.

You don’t pay 3 million for a punter because he can make tackles. You got a new punter and you spend that money on other special teamer’s that can make tackles.

You can buy a punter for $1 million or bring in a handful of them as college free agents or draft one late like we did Bosher.

11 hours ago, falcndave said:

I agree 100% that Crawford is very good. I don't think they are in the same pay grade though. With a little more consistency off the edge, and a big man to take situational snaps, it think we can build around them for sure. But, I really don't think Crawford = 100% of Jarrett. You pay less, but you also get a little less. To let Jarrett go over salary, they would have a make a supporting move (probably in free agency or trade). I really think they are forced to go OL in the draft. That said, we shall see. 

I think Jarrett re-signing is dependent on cost. Someone may overpay. He’s certainly great but for how much? If we don’t re-sign Grady it’s most likely a DT early

good post

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:21 PM, Geneaut said:

Tru has looked a little better the last few games. I saw him actually make a few plays Sunday, albeit against the Carolina backup QB. 

Tru has been much better the whole second half of the season.  People need to get off his back.

Geneaut and Drew4719 like this

35 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

I think Jarrett re-signing is dependent on cost. Someone may overpay. He’s certainly great but for how much? If we don’t re-sign Grady it’s most likely a DT early

good post

Grady isn't going anywhere. He'll be a Falcon next year.  They'll find a way to work out a reasonable contract, and as far as "Aaron Donald" money, no one will pay him that.  He'll get top 10 DL money.

1989Fan likes this

21 hours ago, jidady said:

Crawford's been fine as a rotational piece, but let's be serious here. PFF has him at 72.3 (low tier of the Good range) and the #51 DT. Grady is at 90.6 and the #6 DT, with a grade of Elite. He's also their #1 DT over the past month. Grady's range is from exceptional to the very best. Crawford's range is from better than average to good. We need both and then some to get to where we need/want to be.

Agreed. Crawford is good, but saying he's been as good as Grady is overstating his contributions.  Playing next to Grady has helped him a lot.  Without Grady, he wouldn't be as good.

Stryka likes this

17 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

I'd cut him in a heartbeat. My one legged grandma can kick better than him. His punting and kick offs have been down for at least two years now. He has a hitch in his punting giddyup that led to two blocks. He makes one good hit and TATF wants to keep him? Naw bro. Cut him Sunday and get that $2.6M in cap relief.

Drew4719 and Embrace the suck like this

1 hour ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I don't see Beasley coming back.  No way the Falcons pay him 12 mil, and someone will overpay for him.

The only thing that makes me think he'll be back is the rush on DEs has sort of cooled on the FA market lately.  Granted, I haven't kept up with it diligently, but I remember a few years ago there were basically fire sales on DEs -- the year Irvin went to the Raiders.  Nobody was paying top dollar for them anymore.

It would be just our luck to get in on the front end of the next DE boom, though.  Sounds like something the Falcons would do.

Stryka and Boise Falcon Fan like this

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I'd cut him in a heartbeat. My one legged grandma can kick better than him. His punting and kick offs have been down for at least two years now. He has a hitch in his punting giddyup that led to two blocks. He makes one good hit and TATF wants to keep him? Naw bro. Cut him Sunday and get that $2.6M in cap relief.

I definitely think he is declining and agree he takes awhile to get the ball off, but it would cost about 2mil to replace him with a vet anyway. Unless there's a guy in college worth spending a late pick on?

1 hour ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I don't see Beasley coming back.  No way the Falcons pay him 12 mil, and someone will overpay for him.

I don't want him back either. Pretty sure if the Falcons decline his option they still qualify for a comp pick, too. Murky waters there, but I'm all for letting him walk and replacing him with Irvin or even Campbell and keeping Foye (or someone else) inside.

Boise Falcon Fan likes this

10 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

I definitely think he is declining and agree he takes awhile to get the ball off, but it would cost about 2mil to replace him with a vet anyway. Unless there's a guy in college worth spending a late pick on?

UDFA. Get them cheap like Michael Koenen.

28 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

A draft pick or UDFA can punt as well as Bosher at a $0.6M cap hit. Tavecchio can handle the kickoffs.

This is a complete no brainer. Dude can play DE and SLB if necessary. Quinn covets versatility and Bruce embodies the fast and physical mantra. Still need help in FA/Draft. Need a bulkier M. Bennett type DE who is stout vs the run but can also pass rush. Then we need a 2 gaping DT to allow Grady to play more 3 tech instead of 1 tech. IMO that fixes the defense with Rico and Keke comin back healthy. 

1 hour ago, Falcanuck said:

I don't want him back either. Pretty sure if the Falcons decline his option they still qualify for a comp pick, too. Murky waters there, but I'm all for letting him walk and replacing him with Irvin or even Campbell and keeping Foye (or someone else) inside.

Vic is likely to return on a smaller deal. He still has loads of potential and is still decent player. 5 sacks this year and can be effective situationally. We cant keep cutting guys and not replacing them like we did with Poe and Clayborn. Quality players arent a dime a dozen. 

3 minutes ago, Stryka said:

Vic is likely to return on a smaller deal. He still has loads of potential and is still decent player. 5 sacks this year and can be effective situationally. We cant keep cutting guys and not replacing them like we did with Poe and Clayborn. Quality players arent a dime a dozen. 

Irvin does the exact same thing as Vic. I’m OK with a cheaper deal, but Vic would land big $$$$ elsewhere if he was a UFA. Bringing back mediocre players is how you set a franchise back.

Boise Falcon Fan likes this