falcon22

Bruce Irvin

93 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

He’s a solid rotational piece. I think he and Beasley sitting snaps at a 50/50 rate is fine. I like Takk on the other side with whomever they want in a bigger base DE set.

We need to blitz and scheme better and I think our defense will improve to Top 15 with guys returning...

I don’t want to pay Grady ridiculous $$$, so we shall see what happens, but I do like Grady, Crawford, Senat and a rookie stud next year...

I’ve seen enough from Oliver to cut Alford...Tru want be gone next year. His contract is not favorable.

Will be interesting to see what we do with Kazee, Neal, Allen, Poole...

Neasman and others can pound sound...

Ishmal got fat...

Duke is fine as a depth LB and I like Deion at WLB, Campbell at SLB...I actually think we could entertain a true MLB like #40 from LSU???

The only thing I can say, is no one wants to pay Grady what he deserves, but the team will probably elect to do that. They will make him among the highest paid DTs on a long term deal. No DT has developed more over the last two seasons than he has. He is by far the most consistent performer on the defense. People continually say he's not the equal of this guy or that guy. My suspicion is the Falcons think he is. I think he is. 

All of that said, if I'm wrong, not resigning him can address several other issues over the next few years. I don't see how to sign him and give Julio another bump. Something is going to have to give.

ATLskinjob likes this

Better system for the DL....you will see a better DL. 

Like the classic 80's TV show starting Lee Majors...The Fall Guy, this team needs more stunts.

18 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Agree with everything except Duke and Neasman. Duke is struggling on this level. Neasman could play for me. He went off today and has put two or three good games together. Great depth at SS in case Neal needs a few games or gets hurt again.

Irvin is definitely in my current off season re-tooling plan. If we can get him at a similar vet min contract like the one he's on with a $1.5M cap hit. Maybe go $2.0-2.5M. We need playmakers on defense. He's a playmaker.

They could add incentives to the salary- more sacks more bonuses.

16 hours ago, GleasonForever! said:

Exactly. Thinking like that is the reason why we can’t field and elite D now. Paying all our money on the offensive side of the ball has to partly gotten us what we have today. 

I don't want to be ticky-tac but 2 of our top 5 cap hits this season belong to our starting corners. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

17 hours ago, falcndave said:

The only thing I can say, is no one wants to pay Grady what he deserves, but the team will probably elect to do that. They will make him among the highest paid DTs on a long term deal. No DT has developed more over the last two seasons than he has. He is by far the most consistent performer on the defense. People continually say he's not the equal of this guy or that guy. My suspicion is the Falcons think he is. I think he is. 

All of that said, if I'm wrong, not resigning him can address several other issues over the next few years. I don't see how to sign him and give Julio another bump. Something is going to have to give.

Guess who has been as dominant as Grady...Jack Crawford. Someone isn’t getting paid, if Grady wants Donald money

1 hour ago, Geneaut said:

I don't want to be ticky-tac but 2 of our top 5 cap hits this season belong to our starting corners. 

Yep, and since they know they can't move Tru due to his contract, he's still on the field. Alford meanwhile has a contract that makes him cuttable, and has recent level of play & age working against him... hence he's losing snaps to Oliver.  The fact that Oliver is looking a bit better with more time on the field could very well mean the end of the Alford-era in ATL.

Gotta strong feeling our top three CBs next year are gonna be Tru, Oliver, and Kazee... plus we'll add a FA & a mid-late round draft pick.

Geneaut and Ergo Proxy like this

5 hours ago, MSalmon said:

Guess who has been as dominant as Grady...Jack Crawford. Someone isn’t getting paid, if Grady wants Donald money

Statistically, perhaps. On tape, no way. 

5 hours ago, k-train said:

Yep, and since they know they can't move Tru due to his contract, he's still on the field. Alford meanwhile has a contract that makes him cuttable, and has recent level of play & age working against him... hence he's losing snaps to Oliver.  The fact that Oliver is looking a bit better with more time on the field could very well mean the end of the Alford-era in ATL.

Gotta strong feeling our top three CBs next year are gonna be Tru, Oliver, and Kazee... plus we'll add a FA & a mid-late round draft pick.

Tru has looked a little better the last few games. I saw him actually make a few plays Sunday, albeit against the Carolina backup QB. 

KCFalcon22 likes this

5 hours ago, k-train said:

Strong likelihood without major turnaround AND perhaps a restructure that Alford and Schraeder as most likely to be cut among he higher cap hits on the roster, albeit with June 2nd designations.

One thing hurting us is not having Grady done before we could’ve used this season to stretch out his average.

More concerned with how we play FA and our moves on draft day/what we actually need entering draft is determined after FA.

23 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

The guy with 3.5 sacks in 3 games.  Seems logical.

Wow I didn't realize that. Ugh oh, I might have to drop him from my off season re-tooling plan. He's gonna be too expensive. He's got 6.5 sacks on the season.

Falcons In 2012 likes this

53 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Wow I didn't realize that. Ugh oh, I might have to drop him from my off season re-tooling plan. He's gonna be too expensive. He's got 6.5 sacks on the season.

It took him 2 weeks to acclimate, but he and Beasley have too much speed when Grady is breaching the A-Gap.  We need him.  See if we can keep Irvin & Beasley for $18,000,000/annually with incentives to earn more

I don't know what his price tag will be, but if they don't make a really strong effort to keep him I'll start doubting the depth of their commitment to getting this pass rush up to a respectable level like we've finally seen the last few weeks.

Francis York Morgan likes this

14 hours ago, falcndave said:

Statistically, perhaps. On tape, no way. 

Watch him, Crawford has become a very good DT. Grady has flashes that are dominant. But Crawford has been very steady and very good

Shelley#37 likes this

3 hours ago, MSalmon said:

Watch him, Crawford has become a very good DT. Grady has flashes that are dominant. But Crawford has been very steady and very good

Crawford's been fine as a rotational piece, but let's be serious here. PFF has him at 72.3 (low tier of the Good range) and the #51 DT. Grady is at 90.6 and the #6 DT, with a grade of Elite. He's also their #1 DT over the past month. Grady's range is from exceptional to the very best. Crawford's range is from better than average to good. We need both and then some to get to where we need/want to be.

Boise Falcon Fan likes this

On 12/24/2018 at 1:38 PM, Geneaut said:

And it was the defense that needed an overhaul when Quinn got here due to Smith’s tenure fall out; other than our OL which was getting some tools for itself via Levitre(traded for vet), Chester (FA ala our Fusco move)  and Schraeder’s uprising to a good 2015 season (ala UDFA Gono move). Matthews was now tested as a rookie and started taking big overall performance steps.

It just so happens we wound up with overpayment along the OL post-Mack, Andy pre-injuries, and now Matthews. The issue is being at a transitional phase of salary distribution with young guys needing payment. That’s why Schraeder is almost a lock to be gone without a restructure at minimum. 

Had Rico(captain), Neal, Debo and even Grady not gotten hurt this year it may or may not have led to Rocky’s regression being a thing. Tru may be overpaid as well, but he is younger and that’s why Robert is more of a likely cut without a restructure.

We must get Grady at a reasonable sub $16M per year deal. And well structured at that.

Then, what is the next Julio contract to look like?

This leads into the Beasley decision looming as somewhat harder than the Schraeder and Rocky choices. Two underperforming veterans with high cap hits, cheaper/better/younger replacements, make them the easy decisions.

However, long term OL look(Gono to push Ty; who is a FA himself after this year) demands we try to resign him for a decent contract before market opens. Just not Schraeder money since Ty is less proven. I’d give Ty as much as half of RS’s average for a 2-3 year deal and a chance for him to hit FA market later in his prime if he wants to prove it more to league and cash in later. That gives us time for Gono and OL development at OG/C.

This brings us back to RB injuries and contracts; Free is reasonable in price but has to come back & stay healthy next year, or is a June 2nd 2020 cut. Does Tevin get the SF overpayment treatment like McKinnon got?

Coleman probably tries to get close to these. So is Hill and Ito the answer? What was the extent of Ito’s injury; etc? Otherwise, RB becomes a draft need round 4 etc but I think Ito comes back fine. All depends on Tevin’s market number and if a team follows SF’s ridiculously bad contract for McKinnon.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/jerick-mckinnon-14507/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/devonta-freeman-14514/

This is why Drafting will always matter more than FA in today’s NFL. Our team got Free for a decent contract. Injuries just struck.

Roster Issues are holes along LOS; front 7 D with LB choices (Vondre coming due post 19; Duke?? Foye as 3rd starter?)....DT next to Grady long-term (but Senat/Crawford are decent rotation at least)...DE plan (we needed Irvin infusion with Cuts looming such as Reed)...and CB decisions(Cut or rework Rocky, Draft another?)

My gut says OL is still a FA first thing; and maybe one in mid-rounds, but we still focus on D in the Draft...outside of maybe a RB or TE look in the Draft. Like a true H-back?

1st: BPA on D or we traded out of the pick (up or down depends on who we target)

2nd: D again

3rd: O side; OL? RB?? If OL gets the FA treatment plan we may skip on O until after round 3. OL draft picks year one is hard to go this route unless it’s a perfect fit.

4th: BPA at positions needing depth or to fill a role etc

Edited by Ergo Proxy

49 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

And it was the defense that needed an overhaul when Quinn got here due to Smith’s tenure fall out; other than our OL which was getting some tools for itself via Levitre(traded for vet), Chester (FA ala our Fusco move)  and Schraeder’s uprising to a good 2015 season (ala UDFA Gono move). Matthews was now tested as a rookie and started taking big overall performance steps.

It just so happens we wound up with overpayment along the OL post-Mack, Andy pre-injuries, and now Matthews. The issue is being at a transitional phase of salary distribution with young guys needing payment. That’s why Schraeder is almost a lock to be gone without a restructure at minimum. 

Had Rico(captain), Neal, Debo and even Grady not gotten hurt this year it may or may not have led to Rocky’s regression being a thing. Tru may be overpaid as well, but he is younger and that’s why Robert is more of a likely cut without a restructure.

We must get Grady at a reasonable sub $16M per year deal. And well structured at that.

Then, what is the next Julio contract to look like?

This leads into the Beasley decision looming as somewhat harder than the Schraeder and Rocky choices. Two underperforming veterans with high cap hits, cheaper/better/younger replacements, make them the easy decisions.

However, long term OL look(Gono to push Ty; who is a FA himself after this year) demands we try to resign him for a decent contract before market opens. Just not Schraeder money since Ty is less proven. I’d give Ty as much as half of RS’s average for a 2-3 year deal and a chance for him to hit FA market later in his prime if he wants to prove it more to league and cash in later. That gives us time for Gono and OL development at OG/C.

This brings us back to RB injuries and contracts; Free is reasonable in price but has to come back & stay healthy next year, or is a June 2nd 2020 cut. Does Tevin get the SF overpayment treatment like McKinnon got?

Coleman probably tries to get close to these. So is Hill and Ito the answer? What was the extent of Ito’s injury; etc? Otherwise, RB becomes a draft need round 4 etc but I think Ito comes back fine. All depends on Tevin’s market number and if a team follows SF’s ridiculously bad contract for McKinnon.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/jerick-mckinnon-14507/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/devonta-freeman-14514/

This is why Drafting will always matter more than FA in today’s NFL. Our team got Free for a decent contract. Injuries just struck.

Roster Issues are holes along LOS; front 7 D with LB choices (Vondre coming due post 19; Duke?? Foye as 3rd starter?)....DT next to Grady long-term (but Senat/Crawford are decent rotation at least)...DE plan (we needed Irvin infusion with Cuts looming such as Reed)...and CB decisions(Cut or rework Rocky, Draft another?)

My gut says OL is still a FA first thing; and maybe one in mid-rounds, but we still focus on D in the Draft...outside of maybe a RB or TE look in the Draft. Like a true H-back?

1st: BPA on D or we traded out of the pick (up or down depends on who we target)

2nd: D again

3rd: O side; OL? RB?? If OL gets the FA treatment plan we may skip on O until after round 3. OL draft picks year one is hard to go this route unless it’s a perfect fit.

4th: BPA at positions needing depth or to fill a role etc

Schrader, Alford, Levitre, Reed, Bosher...obvious cuts that can free up more space than needed to sign players to shore up the trenches and keep Julio happy.