Matt Boshers hit and a story about Mike Ditka...

Spts1

I have been following Matt movements after kicks for a while now. I've noticed that he is trying to get into plays and make tackles.  Today of course he succeeded big time...:lol:  Its dangerous though for a couple of reasons.  FIRST, he is the SAFETY.  Come up too far and you run the risk of the runner getting behind you because you are out of position.  Second reason.  I remember a story that linebacker Hollywood Henderson of the Dallas Cowboys told in his autobiography about Mike Ditka. 

Mike Ditka was the special teams coach for the Cowboys during Henderson'r rookie year.  Ditka was SUPER wild still back in them days.  Henderson played on the kickoff return team and Ditka allowed him to line up anywhere he felt he needed Henderson on the kickoff.   Dallas was playing the Los Angeles Rams in the NFC Championship game.  Leading up to the game Ditka had noticed that the kicker of the Rams, Tom Dempsey ( yes, THAT Dempsey, the club footed NFL recorder holder at the time for longest field goal) loved to stand around the pile after the kick returners would get tackled.  Ditka told Henderson about it.  He said " Dempsey looks like he wants to get into the action.  I want  you to line up directly in front of him on the opening kickoff and drill him."   Henderson said that on the opening kickoff he lined up directly in front of Dempsey as instructed and when Dempsey kicked off he went and drill him with his helmet under the chin and knocked him cold.  He said one of the Rams said " hey Henderson,  you can't do that!".  Henderson responded " I already did! "   Henderson said when he went to the sidelines Ditka said  " he won't be standing over any more piles! "   LMAO....:lol:

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Bosher definitely got some nice hits in his career but I think it's time to move on.

He's had a couple straight years of weak punting. Get that $2.6M in cap relief next year.

Find a better punter for $2.0M. Paul Allen may be a good start.

I'm with you on that, especially with his one-speed kick.

No matter what's going on around him, speed it up? Nope.

As some other posters have said, It's like he has no situational awareness at all when he's punting.

I agree, but now I'm wondering if he might need that oblivion/concentration to be successful.

Still, at least have another gear.

3 minutes ago, rounz said:

I'm with you on that, especially with his one-speed kick.

No matter what's going on around him, speed it up? Nope.

As some other posters have said, It's like he has no situational awareness at all when he's punting.

I agree, but now I'm wondering if he might need that oblivion/concentration to be successful.

Still, at least have another gear.

Buddy leads the league in blocked punts with his one, two, three step punts.

His distance is down too. Give me that $2.5M.