Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vel

A look into Grady Jarrett's breakout season

88 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Jerz #DukeSZN said:

I think we could rock with Grady, Senat, Crawford and a mid round DT (2-3) and maybe another FA signing with decent size. What do you guys think? I want to trade back in the 1st.

I only consider trade back if the guy I target falls because of a run on a certain position.If my guy is there I grab him I don’t wait in fear of putting hope that he may fall.

Jerz #DukeSZN and Ergo Proxy like this

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

I only consider trade back if the guy I target falls because of a run on a certain position.If my guy is there I grab him I don’t wait in fear of putting hope that he may fall.

What are your top 3 positions you're looking at in the 1st atm?

27 minutes ago, FalconinPA said:

Quinnen or Oliver

Get em on the phone now!

Quinnen will probably be gone by our pick and Oliver's injuries have caused him to slip some.

4 minutes ago, Jerz #DukeSZN said:

What are your top 3 positions you're looking at in the 1st atm?

DE DT OT/OG

Dependent on what they do at DE and decide to roll with Means Takk Beasley and Irvin.

If I’m honest I think interior pressure is that important and the meat of the draft is at DT I’d pull the trigger early on BPA at the mentioned position.

If we manage to win out and fall to about 15 I’d have a look at the OTs that fall in that area or potentially trade down to grab the above whilst still getting m targeted guy.Of course this is all predicated on what teams needs are around me.

Tim Mazetti and Jerz #DukeSZN like this

"I mean, it's going to play itself out," Jarrett said. "But at the end of the day, I've got a job to do right now and an obligation to fill through my current situation. Anything that I've been going through has been by plan. Ain't been no frustration my way. But I know when the time comes, I know that I've put in work. And I'm not blind to that. And I'm not settling. That's all I have to say."

Dude's gonna cost.

10 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

DE DT OT/OG

Dependent on what they do at DE and decide to roll with Means Takk Beasley and Irvin.

If I’m honest I think interior pressure is that important and the meat of the draft is at DT I’d pull the trigger early on BPA at the mentioned position.

If we manage to win out and fall to about 15 I’d have a look at the OTs that fall in that area.

If the meat is at DT don't you think we could get ample value from rounds 2-3 and get a potential play maker at another position on defense? Like say we get a DB that would make Tru expendable in 2 seasons while Senat and the new draftee are panning. We could use that money from Tru and sign a solid DT in FA and make the line STOUT. I'm not opposed to a 1st round DT I just want to capitalize on this deep draft and get another good player in the secondary or at LB. It's a lot of speculation lol I know. 

Tim Mazetti likes this

35 minutes ago, Jerz #DukeSZN said:

I think we could rock with Grady, Senat, Crawford and a mid round DT (2-3) and maybe another FA signing with decent size. What do you guys think? I want to trade back in the 1st.

Trading back in the first could still land you a DT that would be the top interior DL most years.

Tim Mazetti and Jerz #DukeSZN like this

6 minutes ago, Jerz #DukeSZN said:

If the meat is at DT don't you think we could get ample value from rounds 2-3 and get a potential play maker at another position on defense? Like say we get a DB that would make Tru expendable in 2 seasons while Senat and the new draftee are panning. We could use that money from Tru and sign a solid DT in FA and make the line STOUT. I'm not opposed to a 1st round DT I just want to capitalize on this deep draft and get another good player in the secondary or at LB. It's a lot of speculation lol I know. 

It’s all dependent on how you see the talent then adding it up with your needs.

There probably is talent at other spots but if you had the opportunity at one of those top 2 or 3 DTs I think the defense can’t really go wrong here.

You partner him up with Jarrett you now have 2 terrors inside and it probably makes Takk and Beasley if he’s still here better aswell throw in Means and Irvin there’s your depth.

If we fix what’s in front the secondary is plenty good enough.Your also throwing Neal & Allen back there aswell with and with Kazee coming off a pretty decent season there’s depth there aswell.

Getting the Run D and pass rush back on track is the key on the defensive side of the ball.Is the priority and has been for awhile.

Jerz #DukeSZN likes this

2 hours ago, Jesus said:

Does he just need help up front or does the team need to use the players we have in a more meaningful way?

I think he needs a better 1T next to him that can tie up blockers and help anchor the inside run game. Poe was that guy but he's gone. Senat could be but I doubt it. Either someone like a Bennie Logan in free agency or Dexter Lawrence in the second.

Stryka, Vandy and Drew4719 like this

If it takes 15m then make it happen. Getting rid of sorry a** Beasley clears 12m alone. Hes 25!! You don't let someone that disruptive and young walk. 

Could you imagine drafting one of these DTs and pairing him with Grady. Dear god.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

3 hours ago, Kung Fu Kenny said:

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Maybe the best way to sum up what defensive tackle Grady Jarrett means to the Atlanta Falcons is to talk to his teammates.

Ask Takk McKinley, a defensive end who plays alongside Jarrett on the line.

"Just how athletic he is," McKinley said of the 6-foot, 305-pound Jarrett. "For a big man like that to be able to move and be as agile as he is, it's very unique. You know how bad he wants it. Stats may not prove it sometimes, but when you look on film you see how he stands out regardless of two sacks, one sacks, whatever ... it's hurries, pressures. All of that matters. And he's our leader.

"We go as he goes."

Or ask six-time Pro Bowl center Alex Mack, who regularly lines up against Jarrett in practice.

"He's a great player," Mack said. "He's very powerful. He's a hard body type to block because he's low to the ground and really explosive. To get those reps and to have those things in practice is really beneficial to us and our team. And he comes off the ball hard and works hard every day. The better players you have on your team, the better they make everybody."

3 hours ago, Kung Fu Kenny said:
Jarrett's versatility should help persuade the Falcons. He's known more as a nose tackle but has had success at the three-technique as well.

"This year, I've been [playing at] nose a lot heavier kind of because of the personnel that we've got," Jarrett explained. "But I play both well. And when I'm at both, I want to be the best that I can be.

"At nose, you're going to get a lot more doubles and you might have to be a lot more stout in the run game. Three tech, you have a lot more pass-rush options and also opportunities to make plays in the backfield. But they come at nose, too. So they kind of just come how they go. I've gotten sacks from the nose. I've gotten sacks from the three-technique. I got tackles for loss from the nose. I got tackles for loss from the three-technique."

The Falcons got a glimpse of what life without Jarrett is like. Injury forced him to miss the Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay games earlier in the season. In those games, the Falcons allowed the Steelers and Buccaneers to convert 75 percent and 62.5 percent, respectively, on third down. And they didn't sack Ben Roethlisberger.

Defensive coordinator Marquand Manuel never takes for granted how much Jarrett means to the unit.

"The truck-driver has a special, unique skill set," Manuel said. "He's not 325 pounds and a 6-4 guy, but he's a combination of different things. He beats you with his get-off. His length, meaning his arms, are bigger than what people would anticipate. His speed to power is different than anybody else, almost John Randle-ish. ... Not there yet but in that conversation with the skill set that he has."

That's why I want us to get a player like Williams, Oliver, Simmons, or trade back for Derrick Brown and maybe even Lawrence.

Falconsin2012 and atlbaby like this

9 hours ago, Falconcheff said:

Doggone...so let me get this straight...Grady Jarrett, Matt Ryan, and Julio Jones are ALL posting career numbers and we're STILL this bad!??

And some believe ONE player can carry a team...or so the narrative says. I guess SB rings only matter for QBs. Means they get the credit if they win, right?

Meh, let Grady walk and get draft picks. That's this board in a freaking nutshell. LOL!:lol:

*bUt ThE cAp $p@c3*

Stryka likes this

All that matters is how much of the contract is guaranteed so we can easily dump the guy in 3 or 4 years when he has slowed down and not looking like the Superbowl kid of years past.

Arch just said we're only about fifty fifty and getting him because he's trying to get Aaron Donald money and we are around the 14 or 15 million a year and he's not coming down at all there's a good chance that he's going to hit the open market

13 minutes ago, DMT11 said:

Arch just said we're only about fifty fifty and getting him because he's trying to get Aaron Donald money and we are around the 14 or 15 million a year and he's not coming down at all there's a good chance that he's going to hit the open market

So is he basically saying it would be wise to put the tag (non-exclusive not exclusive) on him so he won't leave?

No he didn't think tag was something falcons would do, just draft a guy which is unfortunate but if he's wanting 20m a year the. Well u ****** up by not winning with him when u had him cheap there's no point in drafting well if u don't win when u can afford them but we never get the franchise vet to go along with them usually , we will only have one elite player rarely two playing on opposite sides whether that's corner or def end etc ,. Maybe this year Arthur will spend

At some point every year we need to not hear from dimi to talk about being mindful of the future , I just think with Julio and Matt now we got to go all in at some point it never really felt like we've ever done that

Edited by DMT11

On 12/20/2018 at 8:57 AM, Falconcheff said:

Doggone...so let me get this straight...Grady Jarrett, Matt Ryan, and Julio Jones are ALL posting career numbers and we're STILL this bad!??

Neal

Deion Jones

Allen

The brain of defense was out.....on top of that, Vic Beasley went ghost! 

4 immediate starters to contribute and make an impact OUT! 

what did people think was gonna happen?

Inspite of scoring 30+ pts vs Bengals / Saints we lost them....because of defense! & if we just beat Philly on the last play ?!! 

You win 2 of above 3 game games...Falcons would be in playoffs over Philly.

Stryka, Tim Mazetti and Falconcheff like this

Grady is similar to Babs in so many ways....but where Babs had problems finishing plays with his stellar quickness....Grady routinely finishes plays.

By the way, shoutout to Babs, who was a solid DL for us for 12 seasons. Another Falcon for life...was on this team as longer than Roddy was.

They are saying the Browns want him and have the capability of paying him bigger bucks. So if he's all about maxing out his earning potential then he won't be a Falcon for very much longer. We can't afford him. This is something that should have already been handled tho. Dummy-troffed!

Edited by Hurry_Up_And_Buy