Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vel

A look into Grady Jarrett's breakout season

88 posts in this topic

Interior pressure is all the rage in today’s NFL, and everyone wants their own game-wrecker on the inside in an age where the line between run downs and passing downs has blurred significantly. The ability to anchor the line of scrimmage while wreaking havoc on pass attempts and taking attention away from edge defenders is at an all-time premium. In his fourth year in the NFL, Grady Jarrett is posting career-best numbers and realizing his potential as one of the league’s incredibly disruptive interior defensive lineman.

GRADY-1024x579.png

Against the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday, Jarrett posted his best numbers of the season, earning season-high overall and pass-rushing grades. He harassed Josh Rosen all afternoon, totaling six pressures, which was tied for the fifth-best among qualifying interior defensive linemen in Week 15, amassing two sacks (tied fourth) and four hurries (tied second). The Clemson product also generated a pressure percentage of 17.2, which ranked tied for seventh among qualifiers. Jarrett also demonstrated his effectiveness against the run, where he recorded a run-stop percentage of 11.8.

This season has been the most impressive of Jarrett’s career thus far. He has racked up six total sacks on the season, tied for the 11th-most among defensive interiors this season. He’s generated an impressive 44 total pressures and a pressure percentage of 12.5, both of which rank seventh-best at his position.

Looking at his advanced stats, Jarrett’s season becomes even more impressive. Among interior defensive linemen with 150 or more pass-rushing snaps, Jarrett’s win rate of 17.0 ranks sixth-best. The former Tiger has also produced an early down win rate of 15.3, which ranks seventh, and a pressure percentage of 12.9 that ranks sixth. His effectiveness on early downs demonstrates his value when rushing the passer on snaps where runs are a strong possibility and passing attempts have been typically less frequent. On third-downs, where passing is much more likely, Jarrett has produced an exceptional win rate of 20.5, a mark that ranks third among qualifying interior defensive linemen this season.

The Atlanta Falcons’ defensive tackle has been one of the league’s best at the position against the run this season, as well. Among 115 qualifying defensive interiors, Jarrett’s 9.8 run-stop percentage and 20 run stops rank 19th and tied for 13th, respectively.

Looking at his numbers this season compared to the rest of his career, Jarrett is primed to set season-highs in a plethora of categories. He’s producing the highest overall grade and pass-rushing grade of his short career, and he has tied his career-high in sacks (six), which he has two games left to surpass. He is also on pace to set career-highs in hurries and total pressures despite playing the least amount of snaps in his career since his rookie year, demonstrating his improved ability to get after the passer and make his pass-rushing snaps count.

As capable and multi-dimensional interior defensive linemen are becoming even more important, Jarrett is having a career year and is fast-approaching the status of one of the league’s most intimidating defenders in the league, able to affect both the run game and the passing game like only few can.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-grady-jarrett-earns-season-high-grade-against-cards-builds-on-career-year

Tandy, atlbaby, Tim Mazetti and 5 others like this

And for reference, I charted Grady's ranks below:

Grady Jarrett Production Ranks
Sacks             6       11th
Pressures           44        7th
Pressure Percentage      12.50%        7th
Win Rate   17%        6th
Early Down Win Rate     15.30%            7th
Third Down Win Rate 20.50%        3rd
Run Stop Percentage 9.80%      19th
Run Stops 20.0%      13th
PFF Grade 90.8          6th

I think Grady is going to land in Gerald McCoy - Jurrell Casey territory with his contract at $15MM/year. That's 5yrs $75MM. Dust off Jake's contract and put Grady's name on it. 

Grady Jarrett has put in the work that's deserving of a new contract

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Maybe the best way to sum up what defensive tackle Grady Jarrett means to the Atlanta Falcons is to talk to his teammates.

Ask Takk McKinley, a defensive end who plays alongside Jarrett on the line.

"Just how athletic he is," McKinley said of the 6-foot, 305-pound Jarrett. "For a big man like that to be able to move and be as agile as he is, it's very unique. You know how bad he wants it. Stats may not prove it sometimes, but when you look on film you see how he stands out regardless of two sacks, one sacks, whatever ... it's hurries, pressures. All of that matters. And he's our leader.

"We go as he goes."

Or ask six-time Pro Bowl center Alex Mack, who regularly lines up against Jarrett in practice.

"He's a great player," Mack said. "He's very powerful. He's a hard body type to block because he's low to the ground and really explosive. To get those reps and to have those things in practice is really beneficial to us and our team. And he comes off the ball hard and works hard every day. The better players you have on your team, the better they make everybody."

The Falcons seem to understand how valuable Jarrett is to the organization, although they need to take another step to show it. Leading into this season, there was discussion about Jarrett being awarded a long-term extension with one year and $1.905 million left on his rookie deal. Such has yet to happen despite Jarrett playing at a high level through a 5-9 season, including being named NFC Defensive Player of the Week following last week's seven-tackle, two-sack, one-force fumble performance against Arizona.

Heading into Sunday's game at Carolina (1 p.m. ET, Fox), Jarrett has a career-high six sacks in 12 games played, to go with three forced fumbles and 47 combined tackles. Not to mention he is the team's Walter Payton Man of the Year nominee for his community service, showing leadership on and off the field.

So, what about that new contract?

"I mean, it's going to play itself out," Jarrett said. "But at the end of the day, I've got a job to do right now and an obligation to fill through my current situation. Anything that I've been going through has been by plan. Ain't been no frustration my way. But I know when the time comes, I know that I've put in work. And I'm not blind to that. And I'm not settling. That's all I have to say."

Jarrett should be one of the primary pieces as the Falcons try to rebuild their defensive line for the future. The line is expected to undergo a major facelift this offseason, with the potential for the team to target a defensive lineman with what will likely be a top-10 pick in the draft. In a mock draft, ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay had the Falcons selecting Clemson defensive tackle Dexter Lawrence (6-4, 350) to pair with Jarrett, a former Tiger.

"He's a good player," Jarrett said of Lawrence. "Big, strong, athletic guy. Especially for his size, he's a really good athlete and can move and bend well. He's definitely a great prospect."

Now back to Jarrett. There has been speculation about how the Falcons might proceed with his contract situation. Joel Corry, a former contract agent and current analyst for John Clayton Football, envisioned a scenario where the Falcons could use the one-year franchise tag on Jarrett next season at a price projected to be around $15.355 million.

Cincinnati's Geno Atkins leads all defensive tackles with an average of $16.3 million per year. Philadelphia's Fletcher Cox, a former 3-4 defensive end who went back to play defensive tackle, received $17.1 million per year. Jarrett's agent, Todd France, likely will try to work off those numbers.

The Falcons' highest paid defensive player right now is cornerback Desmond Trufant at $13.75 million per year. Quarterback Matt Ryan leads all the players on the roster at $30 million per year.

Jarrett's versatility should help persuade the Falcons. He's known more as a nose tackle but has had success at the three-technique as well.

"This year, I've been [playing at] nose a lot heavier kind of because of the personnel that we've got," Jarrett explained. "But I play both well. And when I'm at both, I want to be the best that I can be.

"At nose, you're going to get a lot more doubles and you might have to be a lot more stout in the run game. Three tech, you have a lot more pass-rush options and also opportunities to make plays in the backfield. But they come at nose, too. So they kind of just come how they go. I've gotten sacks from the nose. I've gotten sacks from the three-technique. I got tackles for loss from the nose. I got tackles for loss from the three-technique."

The Falcons got a glimpse of what life without Jarrett is like. Injury forced him to miss the Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay games earlier in the season. In those games, the Falcons allowed the Steelers and Buccaneers to convert 75 percent and 62.5 percent, respectively, on third down. And they didn't sack Ben Roethlisberger.

Defensive coordinator Marquand Manuel never takes for granted how much Jarrett means to the unit.

"The truck-driver has a special, unique skill set," Manuel said. "He's not 325 pounds and a 6-4 guy, but he's a combination of different things. He beats you with his get-off. His length, meaning his arms, are bigger than what people would anticipate. His speed to power is different than anybody else, almost John Randle-ish. ... Not there yet but in that conversation with the skill set that he has."

atlbaby, Cole World and Tim Mazetti like this

No Brainer.  Grady has quietly been a dominant DT this year.  He has actually been very good for 2 years but this year he took another step up.  He was 2nd tier but now he is bottom of the elite tier.  Love his game.  Squatty,  athletic, powerful, quick, vicious hands. hustle, desire.  He has it all.  If he was 6'3 he would have been a 1st rounder.  Dude just balls.  Pay him.  Then next year we Pay Keanu and Debo.

13 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Does he just need help up front or does the team need to use the players we have in a more meaningful way?

More help. No one else on the line deserves special attention outside of him. Once that changes, the line as a whole will get much more disruptive. 

7 minutes ago, ZoneOne01 said:

More help. No one else on the line deserves special attention outside of him. Once that changes, the line as a whole will get much more disruptive. 

Yeah, I agree. I do see a lot of teams chip or give help on Beasley. I really think adding another stud defensive tackle will really open things up for everyone.

Tim Mazetti likes this

26 minutes ago, Stryka said:

No Brainer.  Grady has quietly been a dominant DT this year.  He has actually been very good for 2 years but this year he took another step up.  He was 2nd tier but now he is bottom of the elite tier.  Love his game.  Squatty,  athletic, powerful, quick, vicious hands. hustle, desire.  He has it all.  If he was 6'3 he would have been a 1st rounder.  Dude just balls.  Pay him.  Then next year we Pay Keanu and Debo.

When Grady was at Clemson, Paul Johnson was gushing about how good he was. Paul always seems to give credit to opposing players, but you could tell that he was genuinely impressed by the way Grady plays.

We put another dominant, penetrating, disruptive DT next to Grady and it will transform the entire defense.  Beasley would again  become Feastley and Tak would feast, but the LBs and Secondary would also benefit with more big play opportunities.

QBs like Brady and Brees struggle most with interior pressure where they can’t buy an extra second stepping up in pocket if edge heat coming.  Grady gave Brady fits in Super Bowl until Grady tuckered out. 

I pray we get one of the top 4 DTs in this draft for this reason.

13 minutes ago, Jpg428gggg said:

When Grady was at Clemson, Paul Johnson was gushing about how good he was. Paul always seems to give credit to opposing players, but you could tell that he was genuinely impressed by the way Grady plays.

Yea I mean he was surrounded by good talent but you did hear ACC coaches talk about how tough they were in the interior even with the good edge rushers they had.  Grady was the biggest part of that.  It was evident early on that he would be a good NFL player. He has the pedigree from his dad but Im still shocked sometimes at his athleticism for his size.  He is not shaped like most of the 300 pounders. 

PokerSteve likes this

1 hour ago, Atlantafan21 said:

But there’s people here that say Grady doesn’t make a big impact....

and wow, that’s got to be the first time Alford has a good grade all year. 

Grady does make an impact...pay him but not as much as AD ...AD FC AH are better tho...just don't over pay

Edited by Atl Falcon

1 hour ago, vel said:

And for reference, I charted Grady's ranks below:

Grady Jarrett Production Ranks
Sacks             6       11th
Pressures           44        7th
Pressure Percentage      12.50%        7th
Win Rate   17%        6th
Early Down Win Rate     15.30%            7th
Third Down Win Rate 20.50%        3rd
Run Stop Percentage 9.80%      19th
Run Stops 20.0%      13th
PFF Grade 90.8          6th

I think Grady is going to land in Gerald McCoy - Jurrell Casey territory with his contract at $15MM/year. That's 5yrs $75MM. Dust off Jake's contract and put Grady's name on it. 

Where did you get the ranking? They are wrong. 

Grady is 10 th in pressures and pass rushing productivity, not 7th among interior lineman. 

Sacks he is 16th in NFL among interior rushers. 

Hits he is 14th. 

I agree he may fall under 13-15 M, no where near top 3-5 pay.

1 hour ago, Atlantafan21 said:

But there’s people here that say Grady doesn’t make a big impact....

and wow, that’s got to be the first time Alford has a good grade all year. 

Every one knows he makes impact, pay the man. But he isn’t top5, barely top 10 this year.

PokerSteve likes this

10 minutes ago, gazoo said:

We put another dominant, penetrating, disruptive DT next to Grady and it will transform the entire defense.  Beasley would again  become Feastley and Tak would feast, but the LBs and Secondary would also benefit with more big play opportunities.

QBs like Brady and Brees struggle most with interior pressure where they can’t buy an extra second stepping up in pocket if edge heat coming.  Grady gave Brady fits in Super Bowl until Grady tuckered out. 

I pray we get one of the top 4 DTs in this draft for this reason.

Quinnen or Oliver

gazoo and falcons007 like this

I'm sure Grady's contract will need to average around 14M per season or they won't even look at it...if we could get a 5 yr 70 mil contract (40 guaranteed w 20M signing bonus) done with him I'd be glad...

Boise Falcon Fan likes this

1 hour ago, vel said:

think Grady is going to land in Gerald McCoy - Jurrell Casey territory with his contract at $15MM/year. That's 5yrs $75MM. Dust off Jake's contract and put Grady's name on it. 

None of this can be true because TATF told me that Beasley was having a bad year because Grady was "invisible." 

vel and Shelley#37 like this