Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ike barn87987

Alford says he's a top 10 CB

90 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, vel said:

He's not wrong. This is Alford's worst year. 2016-2017, Alford was a baller. If he's willing to take a pretty sizable pay cut and reworked contract, I'd be all for bringing Alford back. 

What's working against Alford right now is he's on the wrong side of 30, he's had a bad year, and the team can save $8MM cutting him outright. Along with Oliver coming along and Kazee likely playing more nickel, Alford can be phased out in 2019. I'd bring him back as a third corner/utility DB. He's better in coverage than Poole. If we go a more aggressive scheme on defense like what we ran on Sunday, you see the value in Alford. Playing passive is not his game. 

He is wrong.  He is not a top 10 CB.

Jalen Ramsey, Marcus Peters, Patrick Peterson, Kyle Fuller, Xavier Rhodes, Xavien Howard, Stephon Gilmore, Denzel Ward, Darius Slay, Josh Norman, Amukamara, Chris Harris, Lattimore, and we can keep going.

There are a LOT of CB's that are better and younger than Alford.  We over-hype him because of his pick in the Super Bowl.  Don't get me wrong, he's better than what he's shown this season, but he is not top 10 in the league.

Osiruz and falcons007 like this

21 minutes ago, pzummo said:

He is wrong.  He is not a top 10 CB.

Jalen Ramsey, Marcus Peters, Patrick Peterson, Kyle Fuller, Xavier Rhodes, Xavien Howard, Stephon Gilmore, Denzel Ward, Darius Slay, Josh Norman, Amukamara, Chris Harris, Lattimore, and we can keep going.

There are a LOT of CB's that are better and younger than Alford.  We over-hype him because of his pick in the Super Bowl.  Don't get me wrong, he's better than what he's shown this season, but he is not top 10 in the league.

I'm not saying he IS top 10. If you read the article, what he says he's not wrong. In 2016-17, you would consider including Alford in that group. A lot of the penalties he gets called for, those guys you listed do the same exact things and don't get called for it, so his "penalty issue" is vastly overblown. He's sticky in coverage, fast and aggressive. He does not play well in a passive scheme, which is what Smitty played early in his career and what Manuel played this year. Again, go back and look at Alford's coverage on Sunday. Admittedly it was the Cardinals, but the gameplan was heavy on the pressure and Alford responded. 

Just now, vel said:

I'm not saying he IS top 10. If you read the article, what he says he's not wrong. In 2016-17, you would consider including Alford in that group. A lot of the penalties he gets called for, those guys you listed do the same exact things and don't get called for it, so his "penalty issue" is vastly overblown. He's sticky in coverage, fast and aggressive. He does not play well in a passive scheme, which is what Smitty played early in his career and what Manuel played this year. Again, go back and look at Alford's coverage on Sunday. Admittedly it was the Cardinals, but the gameplan was heavy on the pressure and Alford responded. 

I agree he is a solid CB.  And I also agree he gets called for stuff those other CB's are not called for.  

The Alford of 2018-19 is actually Alford Lite.

After several fellow teammates were injured and losses occurred, he realized this was going to be a losing year.  So, he has simply been performing at a reduced level and saving his energy for future years where we would be winning.

1 hour ago, GhostofGritz said:

Yeah. I can say that I believe I have a full, thick head of hair.

Doesn't erase the fact that I'm a chrome dome.

I live in the real world.

Same here. God only made a few perfect heads. The rest he covered with hair.  B)

GhostofGritz likes this

3 minutes ago, Gold4425 said:

I don't know . . . maybe not having a pass rush, Deion missing and not having the smart QB of the defense in Rico and the headhunter in Allen may have affected Alford's play. I'm about to give him the benefit of doubt.

This is where I am. Especially after seeing how the injuries gutted this team this year, why cut a starting caliber CB if you can bring him back for a cheaper rate as depth? Start Tru and Oliver. Let Alford, Kazee, and Poole compete at nickel. Even give Alford some snaps at FS (I know some of yall have been begging for that). 

Cutting Alford means you replace him with.... Blidi Wreh? A mid round rookie? Another FA? 

Hey, if Rob says he a top 10 corner, I believe him. Hes fast, can run with anyone and has great skills; he just has gotten burnt alot. Most corners get burnt, that's their job. I believe in Rob and Tru to turn their fortunes around next season.

Alford in 2018: 

First from bottom: highest NFL Qb rating allowed.

Yards allowed: he moved up from the worst to second worst. 

4th worst in penalties given up. 

He is top 3, from the bottom. Lol@folks saying he is top 10.

PokerSteve likes this

34 minutes ago, Gold4425 said:

I don't know . . . maybe not having a pass rush, Deion missing and not having the smart QB of the defense in Rico and the headhunter in Allen may have affected Alford's play. I'm about to give him the benefit of doubt.

28 minutes ago, vel said:

This is where I am. Especially after seeing how the injuries gutted this team this year, why cut a starting caliber CB if you can bring him back for a cheaper rate as depth? Start Tru and Oliver. Let Alford, Kazee, and Poole compete at nickel. Even give Alford some snaps at FS (I know some of yall have been begging for that). 

Cutting Alford means you replace him with.... Blidi Wreh? A mid round rookie? Another FA? 

He’s in the Beasley boat for me I’m betting on Alford’s making a better fist of it next year.I also been mentioning for months the comfort in playing with the same guys for a couple of years does for your individual play.

In certain situations you don’t have to think you just play for me for some reason both corners have fallen off the cliff in stages this year and I put a lot of that down to playing with new combinations around them.They just haven’t been able to gel as a unit that’s offense and defense with any consistency.

2 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

He’s in the Beasley boat for me I’m betting on Alford’s making a better fist of it next year.I also been mentioning for months the comfort in playing with the same guys for a couple of years does for your individual play.

In certain situations you don’t have to think you just play for me for some reason both corners have fallen off the cliff in stages this year and I put a lot of that down to playing with new combinations around them.They just haven’t been able to gel as a unit that’s offense and defense with any consistency.

Exactly where I land. I see Alford possibly coming back because they keep playing him over Oliver. If they were planning on moving on, Oliver should be getting more than 20-30% of the snaps. Cutting Alford means you have to replace Alford. For a guy who's had his worst season in a while, a season when the rest of the defense looked putrid, it's not so cut and dry. 

kiwifalcon likes this

3 hours ago, ike barn87987 said:

Despite outside criticism, Falcons Robert Alford hasn't lost confidence: "I feel like I'm top 10 [cornerback] in this league.'' https://t.co/0fiHdO2wvf

And that is probably part of the problem! If he feels he has a top 10 that he probably does not see a ton of room for improvement. 

What i hate about this is you can be confident but yo admit you having a ****** year...... you cant sit here and say you playing good but also bring up check out my past years.... You bring up your past years because you are playing bad this year.

Alot of ouf Defenders are having a down year.... Its just Alford is having the worst of them all.. I can see this as just an off year but yo..... You gotta admit the ****

Falconsin2012 likes this