I had no idea that out of the top 5 richest QBs NONE of them will be in the playoffs this year! Minnesota Qb ranked #6 could possibly make it in. Drew Brees ranked 7th highest paid is definitely in. So basically every time Ryan is re-signed to another top deal we have to wait another 2-3 years for the cap to catch up. This is crazy and it's hard to not imagine bringing in a young QB to come and compete. This franchise doesn't seem to project future success very well outside of signings and future cap rises. Any opinions/facts on this?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports/2018/12/17/nfls-highest-paid-quarterbacks-will-be-watching-some-cheapest-playoffs/?noredirect=on

Edited by Hurry_Up_And_Buy
1 minute ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

I had no idea that out of the top 5 richest QBs NONE of them will be in the playoffs! Minnesota Qb ranked #6 could possibly make it in. Drew Brees ranked 7th highest paid is definitely in. So basically every time Ryan is re-signed to another top deal we have to wait another 2-3 years for the cap to catch up. This is crazy and it's hard to not imagine bringing in a young QB to come and compete. This franchise doesn't seem to project future success very well outside of signings and future cap rises. Any opinions/facts on this?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports/2018/12/17/nfls-highest-paid-quarterbacks-will-be-watching-some-cheapest-playoffs/?noredirect=on

Matt signing his last extension gave us $4M in EXTRA cap space this season. He's the #16 and #14 top paid QB by salary cap hit next year and the year after.

You have to understand the cap and all it's quirks to see how it affects teams. You can't just take the total cost of the contract and divide it by the number of years.

4 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

Matt signing his last extension gave us $4M in EXTRA cap space this season. He's the #16 and #14 top paid QB by salary cap hit next year and the year after.

You have to understand the cap and all it's quirks to see how it affects teams. You can't just take the total cost of the contract and divide it by the number of years.

So by 2020 he goes up from #14 to #2 and by 2021 his cap hit goes up to #1. Hopefully we get a competitive young QB in the next couple years. I know the cap adjusts but his hit will still be Top 5-10 for the bulk of the contract.

Edited by Hurry_Up_And_Buy
5 minutes ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

So by 2020 he goes up from #14 to #2 and by 2021 his cap hit goes up to #1. Hopefully we get a competitive young QB in the next couple years. I know the cap adjusts but his hit will still be Top 5-10 for the bulk of the contract.

Assuming no other QBs sign deals...which they will.

and paying Ryan top 10 for his contracts makes sense since he is a top 5-10 QB.

your angle here is obvious. I would love to make a sizable bet that barring injury Ryan is our QB for 5 more years.

1 minute ago, 1989Fan said:

That does fit the agenda that Ryan isn’t as good as his deal and he should be replaced.

I'm confused, I'm not saying " Ryan isn’t as good as his deal and he should be replaced."

I think he's worth every penny if that's the going rate for a top 10 top 5 QB. What I'm saying is as his deal goes into 2020-2021 they can do things to reduce the cap hit and Ryan still gets his money by restructuring his base salary.  

55 minutes ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

He's a top 5-10 QB. That's what they make. We don't have to wait 2-3 for the salary cap to adjust. Most of his extensions have provided immediate cap relief.

Edited by Geneaut
1 hour ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

I had no idea that out of the top 5 richest QBs NONE of them will be in the playoffs this year! Minnesota Qb ranked #6 could possibly make it in. Drew Brees ranked 7th highest paid is definitely in. So basically every time Ryan is re-signed to another top deal we have to wait another 2-3 years for the cap to catch up. This is crazy and it's hard to not imagine bringing in a young QB to come and compete. This franchise doesn't seem to project future success very well outside of signings and future cap rises. Any opinions/facts on this?

Richest quarterbacks currently active in the NFL:

1. Tom Brady - Estimated Worth: 180 million

2. Eli Manning - Estimated Worth: 100 million

3. Drew Brees - Estimated Net Worth: $80 million

4, Ben Roethlisberger - Estimated Net Worth: $70 Million

5. Carson Palmer (will go further - since he's not actually playing) Estimated net worth $60 million

6. Joe Flacco - Estimated Net Worth: $55 Million

7. Aaron Rodgers - Estimated Net Worth: $30 Million

This was as of November 30, 2018

A lot of these guys are paid in multiple ways - what you meant, I believe was highest contract value quarterbacks - not necessarily highest paid - and certainly not the richest.

Top QB Cap hits for 2018:

1. Jimmy Garoppolo - $37 mil

2. Matthew Stafford - $26.5 mil

3. Derek Carr - $25 mil

4. Joe Flacco - $24.75 mil

5. Andrew Luck - $24.4 mil

Ryan's cap hit is $17.7 mil

@Hurry_Up_And_Buy I brought this stat up in the off season and everybody got upset with me. This has been ongoing for several seasons. The NFL is a business, but that's going to cost your team a chance of getting better. The Seahawks won the Super Bowl in 2013 when Russell Wilson was only in the 2nd year of his rookie contract, and there was barely any cap on Wilson and the whole Seahawks team was stacked up. Now Russell had to get paid and look where the Seahawks have been since then. We should have won the Super Bowl in 2016 when we had our chance. Drew Brees is 39 going on 40 and they're not going to pay him much since he's getting older, but that also makes the entire Saints team much better. 

3 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Wait, Jimmy G had a $37m cap hit? Jesus ******* christ that is insane.

THey had a ton of cap room, so it made sense to front load his cap figure...unproven or not, they got a guy they wanted and he was going to get that money somewhere...if you look at his cap figures for remaining years, 20, 26, 26, 26 is not that bad....and after next year, his dead cap hit is less than $4m which is insane for a QB...so they can easily cut bait from him if decide to go with a rookie in 2 years...It was actually a solid financial move...

Compared to Ryan's cap hits of 22, 31, 34, 35, 30 for the enxt 5 yearrs which is really high....and his dead cap figure doesnt get down to under $20m until 2022 which is $13m....so he is basically untouchable for the next 5 years....not great if his paly all of a sudden falls off like Ryan Shreader

52 minutes ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

THey had a ton of cap room, so it made sense to front load his cap figure...unproven or not, they got a guy they wanted and he was going to get that money somewhere...if you look at his cap figures for remaining years, 20, 26, 26, 26 is not that bad....and after next year, his dead cap hit is less than $4m which is insane for a QB...so they can easily cut bait from him if decide to go with a rookie in 2 years...It was actually a solid financial move...

Compared to Ryan's cap hits of 22, 31, 34, 35, 30 for the enxt 5 yearrs which is really high....and his dead cap figure doesnt get down to under $20m until 2022 which is $13m....so he is basically untouchable for the next 5 years....not great if his paly all of a sudden falls off like Ryan Shreader

2019 QB Salary Cap Hits

Player Team Salary Cap Value Cash Spent
Drew Brees Saints $33,500,000 $23,000,000
Matt Stafford Lions $29,500,000 $19,500,000
Kirk Cousins Vikings $29,000,000 $28,000,000
Andrew Luck Colts $27,525,000 $21,125,000
Tom Brady Patriots $27,000,000 $15,000,000
Ryan Tannehill Dolphins $26,611,666 $18,750,000
Joe Flacco Ravens $26,500,000 $18,500,000
Aaron Rodgers Packers $26,500,000 $15,000,000
Russell Wilson Seahawks $25,286,766 $17,000,000
Eli Manning Giants $23,200,000 $17,000,000
Cam Newton Panthers $23,200,000 $16,700,000
Ben Roethlisberger Steelers $23,200,000 $17,000,000
Philip Rivers Chargers $23,000,000 $16,000,000

In the NFL you pay for QBs.

Edited by Geneaut
6 hours ago, raumin said:

But you also have to take into account the cap will continue to rise and they can restructure the deal. 

Bro I swear I thought about you today. I miss hangin out with you and KD. I hope all is well.

These Falcons bro. Jeez. We need rest. One day my man. We need a real Dimi overhaul though.

13 hours ago, FalconinPA said:

r

The 49'ers severely over payed for Garoppolo. Never even proved himself as a QB.

You have to pay not to implicate yourself in throwing a Super Bowl to get a player for your new team.   IJS

:(

Then again - this team gave Shanahan - a rookie head coach - a 6 year contract with a no offset clause - unheard of before this deal. 

13 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Bro I swear I thought about you today. I miss hangin out with you and KD. I hope all is well.

These Falcons bro. Jeez. We need rest. One day my man. We need a real Dimi overhaul though.

You know what's funny? Last Monday night I was at a sports bar with a few friends watching the game and one of them turned to me and said "Are you ever on FMB?". I was like yea I check it everyday just to see what everyone is thinking. My friend had been on it (he doesn't post or anything) and knows all the characters and said "have you ever read FFS1970?" I like spit out my sweet tea lol, I was like "Have I heard of him? Not only do I know him but he was a mentor to me and anyone else in the Atlanta recording/producing scene".

Falcon wise, I'm turning into the guys who used to sit behind me at the Dome who where 20+ years season ticket holders. Nothing surprised them and there was nothing to get excited about. They just watched and left early after they knew where this was all headed. 

19 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Wait, Jimmy G had a $37m cap hit? Jesus ******* christ that is insane.

It was a smart thing to do for them, TBH. 

They had absurd cap space so rather than stretch his cash over the length of his deal, they front loaded the guarantees. If he ends up not to be a viable upper-tier starting option, they can move on with minimal dead money as early as 2020.