Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wartownfalcon

Justin Fields to transfer

1,728 posts in this topic

Yeah most of us hate the situation because of when it was announced, before ESD. But it really may only affect one recruit, I feel like Haselwood is gone due to this. Watch him go to Oklahoma.

2 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Fromm has done nothing to lose the job.  And I don’t see him leaving after next year.  In Fields shoes, I would leave too...just being honest.  He needs meaningful practice and game snaps to maximize his transition to the NFL.  He won’t get that here.

Wish he would go to Miami 

This won't do anything for his career, and I don't know why, but I want to see him at VT lol. 

Falcons In 2012 likes this

7 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

My thinking has nothing to do with Fields. We have no idea what kind of player he will turn out to be. UGA will still be loaded without him. 

My belief that UGA will never get there has everything to do with the 800 pound gorilla known as Alabama standing in the playoff doorway every single year. 

And consider that most years (like this one) you’d have to beat them in both the SECCG & playoffs just to win a NC.

1 minute ago, VoiceofReason95 said:

Yeah most of us hate the situation because of when it was announced, before ESD. But it really may only affect one recruit, I feel like Haselwood is gone due to this. Watch him go to Oklahoma.

that could give us an idea of where fields goes.. if haselwood does go to oklahoma i can see him being joined by fields there.. they are pretty dang close and haselwood has said plenty of times he wants to play with fields.. 

2 hours ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

My thinking has nothing to do with Fields. We have no idea what kind of player he will turn out to be. UGA will still be loaded without him. 

I believe Fields is the best recruit we've ever signed, other than Herschel. I knew the kid was special after the show he put on at The Opening.

Justin Fields just put together the best camp performance I've ever seen by a high school quarterback. 

[...]

Fields is special. Numbers aside, he was in total and complete control of his team every time he was on the field. He made the right reads, his progressions were seamless, his ability to settle his feet and organize his throws was professional and the guy just didn't miss. He's got all the arm you could ever want but it was really his ball placement and timing that blew me away.

https://247sports.com/Article/The-Opening-Finals-What-I-learned-including-that-Justin-Fields-is-as-good-as-it-gets-53475687/

Fields received a 100 in the 247Sports rating system, tying the highest rating ever for a quarterback, and near-perfect 0.9998 in the 247Sports Composite, the industry's most comprehensive and unbiased prospect rankings system, one which calculates players' rankings based on a variety of recruiting services.

[...]

"This is the best high school quarterback I've ever covered and that's not a statement I've ever made before," said Barton Simmons, 247Sports' director of scouting. "I think he's a transcendent talent with a national championship up his sleeve. In today's game, where athleticism at the quarterback position is at a premium, Fields is the perfect blend of size and speed as an athlete and total control as a passer."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/watch-nations-no-1-overall-recruit-qb-justin-fields-commits-to-georgia/

My belief that UGA will never get there has everything to do with the 800 pound gorilla known as Alabama standing in the playoff doorway every single year. 

After seeing how the second halves of our games against Bama have gone, I really wish Kirby had taken another head coaching before coming to UGA so that he didn't have to use on the job training to learn game management.

Yall worried about the future need to relax. 

Players/recruiting should be the last of UGA fans worries. Kirby has proven hes probably the best in the business at getting players. That's not an issue. He can get another Fromm, another Fields, another Kyler Murray transfer. 

Our future depends on coaching. Not whether or not we still have Justin fields. Chaney and Kirby brain farts are the only thing holding us back. 

Gritzblitz 2.0 and mike teevee like this

A few things here.

1. I agree with others, Kirby did a horrible job managing Fields playing time. Saban got Tua ready to step up in the NCG, if he didn't have all that "meaningless time" I am not sure we win that game.

2. Horrible timing, no way around it and top that off with the race card.

3. If UGA is so threatening for him, how come his sister is going there to play softball?

4. Look at Hurts, he got beat out for a younger player, waited for his number to be called and when it was, he came in and won the game. Waiting is not always a bad decision.

JMHO

sdogg likes this

45 minutes ago, WOR said:

It may well be. IF he's forced to redshirt. 

Which I think is the only reason he is undecided. 

But as far as the first part, I think he fully expected to win the job outright and be a freshman starter. Tbf a lot of us thought he had a shot as well. "That" chance has evaporated. Outside of injury, no one is going to be able to unseat Fromm. Sure, if he has to redshirt, then UGA is still a great place. If he doesn't...well sticking around would just be a waste of time 

Excellent reply. We have some common ground. 

29 minutes ago, Lennon said:

So is it official now that Fields is transferring? So much misinformation out there.

No

Family says they only had intended to understand their options 

Nothing has been decided yet for him for sure to leave 

It just depends 

g-dawg likes this

Eason was a highly-rated QB who everybody thought was going to be great but really was not.  It was almost a blessing in disguise that Fromm, who was not so highly-rated, got to replace him against Notre Dame.  Fields is again highly-rated but definitely not proven and really did not show any greatness in the time he did have to play this year.

I say stick with the PROVEN item named Fromm and let just let Fields go.  If he succeeds that is great but there is no reason to risk UGA's upcoming seasons on an uncertainty.

Fields was really inept to choose to go to UGA knowing that Fromm was there.  He maybe thought he was better and would replace him, but he apparently did nothing in practice or in games to convince the coaching staff to think so.

4 hours ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Did ya'll really think Fields was going to be happy playing in garbage time and waiting until he's a senior to start? Because unless Fromm gets injured, that's exactly what was happening. 

I don't care what kind of plays you're calling for him, he wants to get to the next level and it's going to be hard for him to do that playing behind Fromm. So I don't blame him if he wants to leave, and I don't blame Kirby. Kirby's job is to win football games and he has one of the best QBs in the country starting for him already. Exactly how much is he supposed to take his starter off the field in order to keep his backup happy?

And this is completely different from the Hurts/Tua situation at Bama. Hurts was the starter for two seasons before Tua took his job. 

Situations are different.  Over the years we've seen guys bolt but we've also seen guys stay.  Reality is we were all just guessing with regards to whether or not Fields would bolt after not getting on the field enough, etc.  Truth is we still don't REALLY KNOW (even though we kind of do).

I've seen some trolls online saying this is the difference between Saban, Dabo, and Kirby...the other guys play their best players, etc.  Nonsense.  Hurts lost his job with poor play.  Lawrence was clearly the better QB at Clemson.  Fields is talented but Fromm WON the job.  I think it all comes down to Fields looked at the situation and figured Eason would likely be gone and he could beat out Fromm.  He miscalculated.

I do wish the kid the best.

43 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

Eason was a highly-rated QB who everybody thought was going to be great but really was not.  It was almost a blessing in disguise that Fromm, who was not so highly-rated, got to replace him against Notre Dame.  Fields is again highly-rated but definitely not proven and really did not show any greatness in the time he did have to play this year.

I say stick with the PROVEN item named Fromm and let just let Fields go.  If he succeeds that is great but there is no reason to risk UGA's upcoming seasons on an uncertainty.

Fields was really inept to choose to go to UGA knowing that Fromm was there.  He maybe thought he was better and would replace him, but he apparently did nothing in practice or in games to convince the coaching staff to think so.

People forget that Justin Fields commited in October before Fromm really got rolling at the end of his Freshman year - now he didn’t sign until the end of December but he did make his announcement early and also did a lot of recruiting for UGA.   So, even the people that don’t like Justin can be happy that he helped bring some guys to UGA.

2 minutes ago, Nereek said:

Fields wont live up to his 5 star rating.

You will eat those words and it will be obvious to you after his first year as starter for wherever he goes.

But feel free to be Mister Hot Take now.

Falcons In 2012 likes this

2 minutes ago, Nereek said:

Fields wont live up to his 5 star rating.

Fields has all the potential in the world if he can just learn to relax out there 

g-dawg likes this

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

People forget that Justin Fields commited in October before Fromm really got rolling at the end of his Freshman year - now he didn’t sign until the end of December but he did make his announcement early and also did a lot of recruiting for UGA.   So, even the people that don’t like Justin can be happy that he helped bring some guys to UGA.

Well maybe 

We'll see 

Luke Ford was one of those big ones and if we lose Haselwood over this it may just equal out 

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Who did Justin help bring in? 

Both left because they see their chance of getting to the next level is much better not being a backup. 

It's easy for you to say that Fields should stay and wait his turn because you don't have a possible career to worry about. He's got millions on the line potentially and making the wrong decision can be very costly. 

I don't begrudge either of them for their decision because they are the only ones that are going to look out for them. These universities will discard them the moment they are of no use to them, so let's stop with the commitment and loyalty talk. 

My point is he isn't going to lose millions. He needs to best leverage his time and situation. Let us imagine he beat out Fromm this year. If he were to ball out the next 2 years he is gone to the NFL. So he would have 2 full seasons of college ball. So in my scenario he plays 4 games next year and redshirts. Well Fromm goes pro, and Fields has 3 years left, which he won't even exhaust before going pro, right? Or he backs up Fromm the next year and still has 2 years. Just don't see why the plan couldn't be redshirt next year instead of sitting due to transfer. 

I don't begrudge anyone. It is just his time will come here or where ever he goes. Why not be here? He already here and in a good comfortable situation where he isn't rushed.