Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wartownfalcon

Justin Fields to transfer

1,649 posts in this topic

The following article is a prefect example of the idiocy existing in the world and media today. 

Seriously... read the title, and then read the entire article. 

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/georgia-football-justin-fields-jacob-eason

If Georgia football fans can root for Jacob Eason, they can do the same for Justin Fields

Connor Riley
Posted 2 hours ago

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more.

A closer look at the differences between former Georgia football quarterbacks Jacob Eason and Justin Fields

A good chunk of Georgia football fans are rooting for Jacob Eason in some way heading into the 2019 season. While no one is living or dying with every Eason pass like they did when he was Georgia’s quarterback during the 2016 season, most would like him to do well at Washington in this upcoming season.

The same cannot be said for Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields. The former Georgia quarterback was granted immediate eligibility at Ohio State this season and a number of Georgia fans weren’t happy about it.

For the first time, Fields spoke on his time at Georgia since transferring. He thanked everyone for his time at Georgia, but that did little to quell some fans.

“I have no regrets about my time at UGA and have no hard feelings for the school or football program,”Fields said on Friday. “My overall experience at UGA was fully consistent with UGA’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.  My sister is a softball player at UGA.  I am still close friends with many of my UGA teammates.  A part of me will always be a Georgia Bulldogs fan.”

Why is Fields seen as a villain to some, while many are outright rooting for Eason? Why can’t everyone wish the best for both Eason and Fields?

Maybe part of it is because Fields committed to Georgia when it had already become clear that Jake Fromm had usurped the job from Eason, and Kirby Smart had no intentions of giving the job back to Eason. Maybe part of it is because Eason sat out a season, while Fields sought immediate playing time, like he did at Georgia. There’s probably even the fact that Fields went to play at Ohio State, a much more hated program than Washington.

Many will also likely point to the timing of Fields’ initial transfer announcement. News of Fields entering the transfer portal came out the Monday before the Early Signing Period. Georgia’s season hadn’t finished yet, as the Bulldogs still had to play in the Sugar Bowl.

Reports of Eason transferring to Washington came out the day after Georgia’s season ended last year. There wasn’t a transfer portal for him to put his name him into though. Had Georgia played in the College Football Playoff in 2018, Fields almost certainly follows a similar timeline. The same could be said for Eason had Georgia not made the College Football Playoff in the 2017 season.

Fields was certainly a more divisive player among the fan base while at Georgia. Eason and Fields were both better recruits than Fromm. But the calls to play Fields were louder than they ever were for Eason during the 2017 season. Fields was much more athletic and clearly had every bit of arm strength that Eason had. But with the exception of the LSU game, Fromm was an even better player in 2018 than he was in 2017.

Fields could’ve certainly handled his exit from Georgia better, and he’d probably admit that. But he, like Eason, was a 5-star quarterback who couldn’t beat Fromm. Both quarterbacks have the physical tools to become NFL quarterbacks, and they weren’t going to be able to showcase them on the bench. They both made the decision to go to places where they can do that.

By coming to Georgia, Fields bet on himself that he would be able to beat out Fromm. Fields lost that bet. Fromm made a similar bet the year before, when he came to Georgia the year after Eason had started 12 games for the Bulldogs and looked like the future. Fromm just happened to win his bet.

Fans shouldn’t hate Fields because he made a business decision. He made the same one that Eason made the year before. Hopefully, Georgia sees Washington and Ohio State in the College Football Playoff next year. And we get to see those two former Georgia quarterbacks possibly duke it out on the field with Fromm and Kirby Smart’s defense.

What a garbage article. Comparing the way Eason and Fields handled their transfers is a prime way to show the right and wrong ways to handle it.

Eason was the starter and got hurt, not something he could control, then the team went on a tear and Fromm never relinquished the job. Despite this, Eason was perhaps the biggest cheerleader on the sideline for UGA... he was always there to celebrate big plays, help Fromm any way he could, hand the ball off good as **** to kill clock at the end of games. Nothing came out about Eason transferring until the season was over. ****, Eason still tweets out positive stuff about UGA.

Fields on the other hand had a lawyer leak out to a national media sports writer the week of early signing day that he would be seeking a transfer and using an incident of a racial slur directed at him by a baseball player in the stands to seek immediate playing time... then refused to answer any questions at all about it. Then a video surfaced of him complaining to a teammate about his role as a backup. Every time the camera showed him on the sideline he was sitting on the bench or standing with his hands hanging up on the neck of his shoulder pads looking bored and disgruntled. He was rarely seen around Fromm. He turned at least one recruit and long time commit against UGA.

Why won’t UGA fans cheer for Fields like we will Eason? Because Eason played the part of a teammate all the way up to his departure and visibly hated to leave, but it was understood that it was a business decision for him to go back home. Fields played the part of an individual only concerned with himself all the way up to his departure, divided the locker room and visibly couldn’t get off the field fast enough; he left home because he never won the job he thought he would easily take. He went to the one non conference school not named Notre Dame that everyone in the SEC probably hates the most, with a coaching staff who obviously tampered through his private QB coach and tempted him away before a likely transfer ever surfaced.

Yeah my thoughts on this have changed. <_<

On 2/9/2019 at 2:33 AM, UAB_DAWG said:

Hes an immature kid that got a lot of bad advise from people in authority in his life that were supposed to be teaching him to be a man and failed. He’s a kid that just wants to play football next year and it doesn’t appear anyone has bothered to teach him there’s more to life than that and himself. He was offered a way to continue that mentally and took advantage of it. The kid made a series of bad decisions starting with choosing UGA but kids do that, especially those with poor adult leadership. Anyone that expected anything else was fooling themselves. In light of that I don’t hold a grudge against him.And it seems like he walked into another situation where adults will continue to enable him. He’s somebody else’s problem now.

i do hope that getting away from his comfort zone at home will force him to grow up but that doesn’t seem likely at OSU. The more info that comes out continues to show our coaches handled this the right way and that matters to me more than anything else at this point.

Read what I quoted in that response. I have no significant ill will towards the kid. I just think that evaluating the totality of his personality and behavior while at UGA, and the manner in which that he handled his departure, he's not "tied to UGA" in any way other than he made the ill advised decision to go to Athens apparently mentally confident that he would displace Fromm in year 1 only to find out that Jake is no slouch and that he has a long way to go himself.

I'm not wishing him anything... neither success or failure. If he grows up and improves as a person, great... the world could use less a-holes. But it just won't have any bearing on me one way or the other.

SacFalcFan and RandomFan like this

1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

In before the white knight rides to the rescue of poor defenseless Fields...once again. 

I don’t think Fields is a saint by any stretch.  I can find lots of fault with things he has done.  However so much conjecture without proof of a whole host of things - even @Carter who has been mostly balanced in this discussion had chosen to throw down the gauntlet on him above -  all with conjecture and whispers and no facts.   

Was Fields a good teammate?  He sure seemed to have a lot of well wishers on the team when he left.

Do I believe there was tension in the QB room? Yeah probably and I also noticed a lack of proximity between the QBs on game day when I went to a few games as well.   I do find fault with Fields if this truly was the case as it would be petty.

I have to laugh though at all the dust up about Fields saying sarcastically “Yeah I was really good handing the ball off” in front of a hot mike, in a private conversation with a teammate - Who TF should care about that?  and to think most backups that aspire to be starters don't say similar things? Of course they do! - those are just pile-on complaints.

Also, blaming an 18yr old kid for family hiring lawyer and using race comment by baseball player and blaming Fields personally for when the story leaked?  That’s ridiculous as well.    As weak as we all know that argument is for requesting a waiver - does it happen if NCAA isn’t getting weak-kneed about enforcing the transfer rule?  Blame the NCAA, not Justin's camp, for the waiver request - they are letting it be a free-for-all so most players now are looking for loopholes and excuses. 

This whole scenario with Justin Fields recruitment, season and transfer was the perfect storm.  Justin played a big role in it, his family played a role but so did Kirby, do did Chaney and I am sure other outside influences had a lesser effect.  Chaney and Kirby handled the snaps and plays for Justin like rank amateurs - there is no justification for how bad they bungled it.  "There is no plan" - clearly there wasn't.

I believe Justin has some growing up to do and he certainly is not as mature as Jake Fromm - While Fields is popular with teammates, he isn’t a leader - at least not yet.  Also, I have shared with Carter as well and won’t discuss specifics but Fields needs to make good choices off the field as well.

Hope going forward Kirby tries to put at least two years in between 5* kids - don’t blame him for getting Fields and was thrilled when we got him but evidence is mounting across college football that at the QB position, elite talent won’t wait more than one year to get onto the field and coaches and fans cannot expect that will happen and should adjust accordingly - at Quarterback.  Fields had no intention of waiting more than one year - and most other 5*’s won’t either - it may not be as messy - but the results will be the same.  With Eason, it wasn’t messy, but the results were the same - kid transferred.   QB is the most unique position on field.

Gary Patterson:

"When I see the guy bragging about how many waivers [are approved], that's not what this is about," TCU coach Gary Patterson said. "In how many households are the teenagers making decisions? Why are we sitting here saying they need more leverage? This waiver thing, we've got to help people that truly have a problem, [like] their family is sick. It can't be just because you don't like somebody or somebody said something to you. We all have to live in a world that's like that.

From Dave Clawson and David Shaw:

"It's too easy right now," Wake Forest coach Dave Clawson said. "It's too easy to let kids quit."

Added Shaw: "The hopscotch approach to college really hinders their ability to have success in life."

Edited by Turkeydawg
SacFalcFan, RandomFan and 95Dawg like this

Todd Berry, executive director of the American Football Coaches Association, stressed that coaches still support immediate-eligibility waivers for players dealing with extreme circumstances. But the recent changes have broadened the argument to play right away.

"That's what a lot of our student-athletes feel is going to happen now -- that they can claim something and get a waiver," Berry said. "Even if they're claiming something and it's not true, the impact it's going to have on those universities just by making an accusation is significant."

"There's 1,000 kids in the portal right now," NC State coach Dave Doeren said. "Everyone wants to talk about player safety. What happens when a position group has three less guys left in it? I don't think we can manage our rosters the way we used to be able to."

1 hour ago, Carter said:

Nothing came out about Eason transferring until the season was over. ****, Eason still tweets out positive stuff about UGA.

Where are the quotes, tweets, etc. where Justin has trashed UGA?  have seen nothing but positives and compliments he has thrown Dawgs way.

1 hour ago, Carter said:

Fields on the other hand had a lawyer leak out to a national media sports writer the week of early signing day

What are your sources that show that Fields or his family leaked out or approved of leaking out the transfer?

2 hours ago, Carter said:

Then a video surfaced of him complaining to a teammate about his role as a backup.

What did Fields say in the video?   As I recall it went something like this:  

Teammate:  "You played well today."

Fields:  "Yeah, I was really good handing the ball off."

Was not said to a reporter, was not said for public consumption - didn't even make its way to print/video in public until after the transfer was known.     What is the unforgiveable sin there?  that is ridiculous Carter.

Every time the camera showed him on the sideline he was sitting on the bench or standing with his hands hanging up on the neck of his shoulder pads looking bored and disgruntled. He was rarely seen around Fromm.

I already agreed that I believe there was tension - you could feel it w/ Fromm's comments and you could speculate it with the lack of interaction between the two on the sideline - for this, I would only be GUESSING but to me it is a really bad look for Fields.

He turned at least one recruit and long time commit against UGA.

That's a stretch.   Very good chance that Haselwood never commits to UGA in the first place w/o Fields.   If Haselwood's sole reason for coming to UGA was Justin Fields - then he was never really a Dawg to begin with.    If you want to knock Fields for Haselwood then at least give him credit for helping UGA staff recruit the players he did in 2018 class - net/net Fields was a PLUS for UGA recruiting.

Just now, RandomFan said:

Like I said. It's gotten as predictable as death and taxes. 

I realize you don't want to talk specifics - just snarky comments - that's what happens when you have no facts.

Gdawg, I believe you have it wrong regarding Fields and who he helped us recruit/get.  Haselwood was a commit before Fields was, so I find it hard to follow your argument saying that Haselwood would not have committed to uga, if it weren't for Fields.  That's near the top of your asinine comments.

26 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Gdawg, I believe you have it wrong regarding Fields and who he helped us recruit/get.  Haselwood was a commit before Fields was, so I find it hard to follow your argument saying that Haselwood would not have committed to uga, if it weren't for Fields.  That's near the top of your asinine comments.

From Haselwood in a Dawgnation article from before Fields was committed:

“Man, I don’t want to be anywhere else but Athens,” he told DawgNation. “I’m up there more than any other commit. The only reason I visit other schools is only for my coach. That’s because I respect him.”

57 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I realize you don't want to talk specifics - just snarky comments - that's what happens when you have no facts.

Keep telling yourself that. One day you might even believe it. 

On 12/18/2018 at 9:07 AM, slickgadawg said:

Justin concurs with what you just said.  It too much water under this bridge now:

What’s said above..

what you heard..

“What did Fields say in the video?   As I recall it went something like this:  

Teammate:  "You played well today."

Fields:  "Yeah, I was really good handing the ball off."

Was not said to a reporter, was not said for public consumption - didn't even make its way to print/video in public until after the transfer was known.     What is the unforgiveable sin there?  that is ridiculous Carter”

Did you misquote him on purpose?

Was not said to a reporter? Just in front of 4-5 cameras...

Was not said for public consumption? LOL.. again in front of 4-5 cameras

Didn't even make its way to print/video in public until after the transfer was known? This is where it gets good.. I'd be willing to bet CKS saw this probably right after the game.. And I'd also bet that this was a BIG reason why his PT suffered..

"Unforgiveable sin"? There's no such thing.. Creating dissension on a team though.. Smh

Edited by TheTrue7

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

:lol: I would have a conversation with you, but you've proven time and time again that you are not only biased, but unwilling to listen to an alternate view that doesn't support your opinion of Justin. It's fine... let it go. The only reason I replied above is because someone quoted me and I don't think they understood what my remark was specifically pointed at. 

1 hour ago, youngbloodz said:

Lol you guys are something else. Good entertainment though. 

Everybody's somethin'... :lol: How are things settling in down at the U? You feeling good about the new staff? I have no issues with threadjacking this runaway train wreck. :lol:

Ransack likes this

4 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

:lol: I would have a conversation with you, but you've proven time and time again that you are not only biased, but unwilling to listen to an alternate view that doesn't support your opinion of Justin. It's fine... let it go. The only reason I replied above is because someone quoted me and I don't think they understood what my remark was specifically pointed at. 

not true at all.  Go back and read what I wrote and tell me I have given Justin a pass.  I had several criticisms of Fields - but I stick to the facts w/o doing the pile on that goes on here - However,  I did even dip my toes in some speculation that is negative.