Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wartownfalcon

Justin Fields to transfer

1,728 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Turkeydawg said:

Gave it one year and threw in the towel?  Pretty sad, but so be it.  

He's not beating out Fromm at this point. No one in their right mind thinks he has any shot. 

But since you want to completely ignore that to feed your ego and degrade the kid, I'm not sure what the point of this conversation is :shrug:

Spts1 likes this

1 minute ago, Turkeydawg said:

Then why not go somewhere where you don't have to compete?

You're getting close to a breakthrough here my friend. 

Competing isn't the issue.... He won't even get the chance to compete at UGA for 2 more years. 

That's the entire point. 

Spts1 and Falcons In 2012 like this

Just now, WOR said:

He's not beating out Fromm at this point. No one in their right mind thinks he has any shot. 

But since you want to completely ignore that to feed your ego and degrade the kid, I'm not sure what the point of this conversation is :shrug:

The point is that it's a shame that after 1 season, an extremely talented kid is throwing in the towel, because he didn't win the job.  

He is free to do as he choose and I am free to have an opinion on it.  I just think it says a lot when someone walks away so quickly.

10 minutes ago, WOR said:

Wussification because he wants to do what is best for his future and career :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Justin is getting criticized for being TOO good. Crappy players don't get criticized for working their way up through different schools/transferring. But since Justin was a 5 star, he's instantly a wuss because he wants to go somewhere he can play. 

These kids get 4 years of their entire lives to play college ball. Heaven forbid they want to actually take advantage of the limited time they get

Lawd. 

I am not disputing anything you are saying. I understand everyone has a limited window, and you must take care or yourself in this world. However, my biggest question is what changed? Like, you knew what you were getting into. You had to know your time would be limited unless you outright won the job. Was the plan "well I will win the job, and if I don't I will transfer"? If so, then OK, just say that up front. Or was it a case he never even fathomed he wasn't going to win the job? If so, very poor planning. I agree he probably wasn't used the best he could have been, I just don't understand what transferring accomplishes if he has to sit a year. 

sdogg likes this

Just now, Dawggone said:

I am not disputing anything you are saying. I understand everyone has a limited window, and you must take care or yourself in this world. However, my biggest question is what changed? Like, you knew what you were getting into. You had to know your time would be limited unless you outright won the job. Was the plan "well I will win the job, and if I don't I will transfer"? If so, then OK, just say that up front. Or was it a case he never even fathomed he wasn't going to win the job? If so, very poor planning. I agree he probably wasn't used the best he could have been, I just don't understand what transferring accomplishes if he has to sit a year. 

This

You've got a decent job at business A, but zero chance for meaningful advancement. 

Business B offers you a promotion and a raise. 

Yall turning that down? Hurting your family? Your future? For what? Pride? 

Falcons In 2012 and Spts1 like this

2 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

I think all of the last part is what happened. He didn't win, he doesny have a chance to win until fromm leaves, and Chaney/Kirby have shown they don't know how to use him in the meantime. 

In all fairness to Justin.... Everything changed. 

Other than blind loyalty, why should he stay? How is this the best situation for him as an athlete? 

1 minute ago, WOR said:

You've got a decent job at business A, but zero chance for meaningful advancement. 

I love your absolute here.  How about this, you have a decent job, and if you continue to work and outperform someone else, you will be able to achieve meaningful advancement.

And Fields is guaranteed nothing at opportunity B. 

3 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Then why not go somewhere where you don't have to compete?

Why is it the crime of the century that Fields chose UGA, thought he would beat out Fromm it make headway, fail to do so, and then want to transfer?

The kid wanted to play and start for UGA - but half the fanbase wanted to hate him before this even leaked to the media.

As to any racial tactics, I won’t defend if the family decides to go down that road - as no one associated with the program is likely to have any racial animus - if they did, they are in wrong profession with probably 70% of players Black.   If attorney trying to make hay out of the stupid UGA Baseball player - that would be wrong.

I believe Justin will transfer but I don’t believe he or his family signs off on using race as a reason for a waiver.

Gritzblitz 2.0 and WOR like this

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

Why is it the crime of the century that Fields chose UGA, thought he would beat out Fromm it make headway, fail to do so, and then want to transfer?

The kid wanted to play and start for UGA - but half the fanbase wanted to hate him before this even leaked to the media.

As to any racial tactics, I won’t defend if the family decides to go down that road - as no one associated with the program is likely to have any racial animus - if they did, they are in wrong profession with probably 70% of players Black.   If attorney trying to make hay out of the stupid UGA Baseball player - that would be wrong.

I believe Justin will transfer but I don’t believe he or his family signs off on using race as a reason for a waiver.

Half the fan base wanted to hate him before the media leak?

Time will tell on your last sentence. 

Edited by Turkeydawg

1 minute ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Eason transferred for the exact same reason but he didn't anywhere near this level of vitriol. 

Why is that? 

Eason lost his job as the starter and him leaving wasn't splattered all over the place 2 days prior to signing day.  

If Fields wants to leave after not being named the starter, so be it.  I don't agree with walking away so quickly, but again, so be it.  The way this is playing out and the timing, is the biggest concern.  That plus the potential race card issue.

Edited by Turkeydawg
sdogg likes this

2 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Eason lost his job as the starter and him leaving wasn't splattered all over the place 2 days prior to signing day.  

Who's fault is it that the story leaked?

And you honestly think that Eason wasn't looking around and talking to people in Washington before signing day last year? As his team was about to play in a playoff game? 

And I still fail to see how this effects signing day. 

Just now, WOR said:

I think all of the last part is what happened. He didn't win, he doesny have a chance to win until fromm leaves, and Chaney/Kirby have shown they don't know how to use him in the meantime. 

In all fairness to Justin.... Everything changed. 

Other than blind loyalty, why should he stay? How is this the best situation for him as an athlete? 

Everything changed? Really? I must be seeing a different world than you on this.

The best situation for him? Stay, learn, grow. Win a natty, honor your commitment. All the while getting at a minimum 2 years to start and run possibly the best team in the country. So if he is as good as advertised he only plays to years where he goes. So stay here, learn optimize your potential, you are close to home. Then put those 2 years in, win a couple NATTYs, a Heisman, and go #1 overall. You have 3 scenarios:

(1) If Fromm falls, Fields takes over. 

(2) If Fromm goes as a JR to NFL - you have 2 years to shine

(3) You have an honest conversation with Kirby and if Fromm is going to stay for SR year, then you only play in 4 games next year and you redshirt. Maybe you play in 3 with one start against a weak team and then have 1 game for post season, IDK just some plan.

Like I said, I understand all sides and I am not up in arms over any viewpoint. It just seems to me his best option actually is UGA.

5 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Eason transferred for the exact same reason but he didn't anywhere near this level of vitriol. 

Why is that? 

Your statement is inaccurate

No sir. That he left for the same reason, at least the way I see it.

Situation #1: Eason signed as a prize recruit. The savior of the program. He came in, started as a freshman and was on his was to super stardom and a high draft pick. The next spring Fromm comes in and shows well. Eason gets hurt and loses his job and Fromm plays better than Eason did and leads the team to success Eason didn't approach. Obviousy, Eason is now in a situation where he is going into his JR year as the backup. His eligibility will run out before Fromm leaves.

Situation #2: Fromm has just led UGA to a Rose bowl win and nearly a National title. 1 blown coverage away. Fields knows all of this, knows how much eligibility Fromm has, how much he has. He sees up front Fromm's success and that he is the team leader currently. He knows he (A) must be much better than Fromm to unseat him or (B) work hard and wait his turn with hopefully some playing time before then. 

Eason had know way to know Fromm was coming when he committed. HIS situation is what changed. In my eyes, Fields knew all this going in. If he simply planned poorly or changed his mind. Just say so. But Eason's situation changed which could justify the mind changing, Field's situation didn't change to precipitate that mind change.

sdogg likes this

11 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

Everything changed? Really? I must be seeing a different world than you on this.

The best situation for him? Stay, learn, grow. Win a natty, honor your commitment. All the while getting at a minimum 2 years to start and run possibly the best team in the country. So if he is as good as advertised he only plays to years where he goes. So stay here, learn optimize your potential, you are close to home. Then put those 2 years in, win a couple NATTYs, a Heisman, and go #1 overall. You have 3 scenarios:

(1) If Fromm falls, Fields takes over. 

(2) If Fromm goes as a JR to NFL - you have 2 years to shine

(3) You have an honest conversation with Kirby and if Fromm is going to stay for SR year, then you only play in 4 games next year and you redshirt. Maybe you play in 3 with one start against a weak team and then have 1 game for post season, IDK just some plan.

Like I said, I understand all sides and I am not up in arms over any viewpoint. It just seems to me his best option actually is UGA.

It may well be. IF he's forced to redshirt. 

Which I think is the only reason he is undecided. 

But as far as the first part, I think he fully expected to win the job outright and be a freshman starter. Tbf a lot of us thought he had a shot as well. "That" chance has evaporated. Outside of injury, no one is going to be able to unseat Fromm. Sure, if he has to redshirt, then UGA is still a great place. If he doesn't...well sticking around would just be a waste of time 

@Gritzblitz 2.0 I'm moving more towards your line of thinking with the program; a month ago I thought it was more likely than not that Kirby would win a title in the next two to four years. But if Fields transfers, combined with what I saw in the second half of the SEC championship game, well... 

tenor.gif

15 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

No sir. That he left for the same reason, at least the way I see it.

Situation #1: Eason signed as a prize recruit. The savior of the program. He came in, started as a freshman and was on his was to super stardom and a high draft pick. The next spring Fromm comes in and shows well. Eason gets hurt and loses his job and Fromm plays better than Eason did and leads the team to success Eason didn't approach. Obviousy, Eason is now in a situation where he is going into his JR year as the backup. His eligibility will run out before Fromm leaves.

Situation #2: Fromm has just led UGA to a Rose bowl win and nearly a National title. 1 blown coverage away. Fields knows all of this, knows how much eligibility Fromm has, how much he has. He sees up front Fromm's success and that he is the team leader currently. He knows he (A) must be much better than Fromm to unseat him or (B) work hard and wait his turn with hopefully some playing time before then. 

Eason had know way to know Fromm was coming when he committed. HIS situation is what changed. In my eyes, Fields knew all this going in. If he simply planned poorly or changed his mind. Just say so. But Eason's situation changed which could justify the mind changing, Field's situation didn't change to precipitate that mind change.

Both left because they see their chance of getting to the next level is much better not being a backup. 

It's easy for you to say that Fields should stay and wait his turn because you don't have a possible career to worry about. He's got millions on the line potentially and making the wrong decision can be very costly. 

I don't begrudge either of them for their decision because they are the only ones that are going to look out for them. These universities will discard them the moment they are of no use to them, so let's stop with the commitment and loyalty talk. 

Spts1 likes this

Idk why yall are acting like anything would change if fields actually said "I thought I could beat fromm, but I didnt so I'd like to go somewhere where I can play". 

Well in other words... Why yall need him to explicitly say that. It's pretty darn implied, and it's perfectly fair for him to do that. 

1 minute ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

These universities will discard them the moment they of no use to them, so let's stop with the commitment and loyalty talk. 

This. 

I think a lot of this is tainted with UGA fans thinking of "he has to/should stay at UGA". 

Why? He's perfectly in his right to transfer. It's perfectly acceptable for him to think it's better for him, as an athlete, somewhere else. 

He doesn't owe UGA/the fans anything. They gave him a years worth of schooling, he gave them a years worth of football. 

Gritzblitz 2.0 and Spts1 like this

3 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

@Gritzblitz 2.0 I'm moving more towards your line of thinking with the program; a month ago I thought it was more likely than not that Kirby would win a title in the next two to four years. But if Fields transfers, combined with what I saw in the second half of the SEC championship game, well... 

tenor.gif

My thinking has nothing to do with Fields. We have no idea what kind of player he will turn out to be. UGA will still be loaded without him. 

My belief that UGA will never get there has everything to do with the 800 pound gorilla known as Alabama standing in the playoff doorway every single year. 

38 minutes ago, WOR said:

Fromm has done nothing to lose the job.  And I don’t see him leaving after next year.  In Fields shoes, I would leave too...just being honest.  He needs meaningful practice and game snaps to maximize his transition to the NFL.  He won’t get that here.

Wish he would go to Miami 

Edited by Falconsin2012
Spts1 likes this