Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wartownfalcon

Justin Fields to transfer

1,728 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

His attorney is using the fact that Urban Meyer left as the basis for his waiver. 

LOL

Looks like Trent Dilfer agreed with me about Justin's INITIAL decision to go to Georgia.  He said he TOLD Justin not to enroll at Georgia:

https://thespun.com/big-ten/ohio-state-buckeyes/super-bowl-qb-told-justin-fields-not-to-go-to-georgia

Justin Fields throws a pass for Georgia.

After a freshman season at Georgia that ended with only limited snaps, five-star quarterback Justin Fields ultimately transferred to Ohio State. While many fans and pundits were confused as to why he would leave the program after just one year, a former Super Bowl-winning quarterback claims he saw the writing on the wall early.

In an interview with DawgNation on Monday, former Super Bowl champion Trent Dilfer said he was not surprised that it didn’t work out for Fields at Georgia and revealed that he even warned Fields against going there.

“I was probably the only guy that wasn’t surprised. I told him it wasn’t a good move to go there,” Dilfer said. “He’s a unique talent, one of the best I’ve ever seen. But these kids when they’re in high school think they’re just going to go in and beat the stud in front of him. And Jake’s a great player.”

Dilfer explained that the Bulldogs were never going to rotate star quarterback Jake Fromm out often enough for Fields to develop.

“The dual thing was never going to work with them rotating between quarterbacks,” Dilfer said. “And Jake, because of his command of the offense and the success he had as a freshman, to me, I just didn’t think it was a good move.”

On 1/30/2019 at 4:39 PM, slickgadawg said:

Looks like Trent Dilfer agreed with me about Justin's INITIAL decision to go to Georgia.  He said he TOLD Justin not to enroll at Georgia:

https://thespun.com/big-ten/ohio-state-buckeyes/super-bowl-qb-told-justin-fields-not-to-go-to-georgia

Justin Fields throws a pass for Georgia.

After a freshman season at Georgia that ended with only limited snaps, five-star quarterback Justin Fields ultimately transferred to Ohio State. While many fans and pundits were confused as to why he would leave the program after just one year, a former Super Bowl-winning quarterback claims he saw the writing on the wall early.

In an interview with DawgNation on Monday, former Super Bowl champion Trent Dilfer said he was not surprised that it didn’t work out for Fields at Georgia and revealed that he even warned Fields against going there.

“I was probably the only guy that wasn’t surprised. I told him it wasn’t a good move to go there,” Dilfer said. “He’s a unique talent, one of the best I’ve ever seen. But these kids when they’re in high school think they’re just going to go in and beat the stud in front of him. And Jake’s a great player.”

Dilfer explained that the Bulldogs were never going to rotate star quarterback Jake Fromm out often enough for Fields to develop.

“The dual thing was never going to work with them rotating between quarterbacks,” Dilfer said. “And Jake, because of his command of the offense and the success he had as a freshman, to me, I just didn’t think it was a good move.”

However, it should be noted that Justin committed to UGA in October.   Was Fromm thought of as highly in October as he was in December? January?   By the time Justin was signed/sealed/delivered Fromm was looking stronger but then Fromm "went off" in the CFP win over Oklahoma and loss over Bama - by then, it was too late to revisit the committment - I doubt Fields would have revisited it - but it should at least be noted.

Fields will tear it up in Columbus - wish him well when not playing UGA.

Guarantee this “hardship” he encountered would’ve been a non-issue if Fromm was leaving after last season. 

1 minute ago, judas yeast said:

It was obvious it would be granted after the racist nonsense he suffered through in Athens

Remind me how he suffered?

I wish Justin nothing but the best in his future baseball career. 

I wish I could say I'm surprised by this ruling but I knew from the moment the rumor started that the NCAA would wet themselves over this.

The only thing more ridiculous than the ruling is Day acting like they waited until Justin entered the transfer portal to reach out.

jeffro2000, m2Falcons and 95Dawg like this

This is what I expected all along and stated as such a few times. The waiver would quietly be granted and that would be it.

You knew the NCAA/UGA weren't going to resist this waiver much regardless of the real reason he transferred.

I wish the kid the best in life, but I don't have to root for him to have any "real" football  success at OSU. I'm sure he will be fine though.

Edited by jeffro2000

24 minutes ago, Carter said:

while the "lawyer trick" to get him eligible is terrible - it should also be said that Justin Fields has not said one negative thing in the media about the University of Georgia.

We all know what this was and so does Justin - the goal for Justin and his family was to get him eligible to play/start somewhere in 2019. The family did apparently "go along" with the lawyer's tactic - and don't blame anyone for being mad about it - I don't like it either - no one in the media or otherwise has really played up this angle - everyone recognizes it for what it is - and given Justin's statements - it's obvious he wants the story to die a quick death as well.

Time for everyone to let it go - wish him well or ill - it's done.

1 minute ago, youngbloodz said:

Hopefully Tate Martell is next

yep.   no reason his shouldn't be granted as well.

You are looking at the dawn of college free agency.   Gonna be a lot harder for teams like Georgia and Bama that stack talent and depth because the ones that don't rise to the top quickly - a lot of them will bail.

It is what it is.

youngbloodz likes this