Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wartownfalcon

Justin Fields to transfer

1,710 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Meh...it levels the playing field.  It also is a vehicle for a player to hold a head coach accountable if the HC promises something and doesn’t deliver.   You also see these kids choosing schools and most times the #1 reason is they like the HC or position coach.  We just saw it with Clay Webb.  Maybe the coaches buyouts would go up as a result of transfer rule and there would be less coaching movement to counter the transfer rule.   It could work.

Moreover, while it doesn’t happen in great numbers, my understanding is that when a player commits, it is more like a 3-4yr commitment for players but schools can take it year by year and we know kids get processed. Head coaches have too much power and this would level the playing field.

Exactly schools can process a player out after a year if they want. 

g-dawg likes this

4 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

I agree, but you will lose fans because of it.  I know tons of folks who have zero interest in the NFL because of free agency/no loyalty.  

NFL is a business first. Those people obviously dont understand that. And in business it's cutthroat. Sadly, college football is coming to that. I love college football more than the NFL. Sad day imo when it becomes like that

BamaBirdLady, g-dawg and Wardog357 like this

1 minute ago, youngbloodz said:

NFL is a business first. Those people obviously dont understand that. And in business it's cutthroat. Sadly, college football is coming to that. I love college football more than the NFL. Sad day imo when it becomes like that

That would be horrible.  There is something so special about college football. 

youngbloodz and Carter like this

Just now, BamaBirdLady said:

I bet there’s 15-20% of any college roster that would disagree.  A lot of 4-star players pushed out in Year#3 because they weren’t what the coach thought they were on signing day.

5 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

It is. College football is very special but we headed that direction it seems. Some might say we already are there

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I bet there’s 15-20% of any college roster that would disagree.  A lot of 4-star players pushed out in Year#3 because they weren’t what the coach thought they were on signing day.

No. I was referring to college football becoming like the NFL.

As far as this transfering, I  have mixed feelings.  I see the players side and the schools side. I really can't comment. 

g-dawg likes this

2 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

^^^^^^ This times a Trillion!

2 minutes ago, Wardog357 said:

^^^^^^ This times a Trillion!

College football is every bit the business that the NFL is  - no doubt it’s more fun, but it’s a business - look no further than all this “coach-a-polooza” happening right now.

slickgadawg likes this

9 hours ago, g-dawg said:

College football is every bit the business that the NFL is  - no doubt it’s more fun, but it’s a business - look no further than all this “coach-a-polooza” happening right now.

High school too.  Crazy how much some of those coaches are now getting paid.

Wardog357, Carter and g-dawg like this

9 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I dont think it has reached the business level just yet. And by that I mean not all of your top recruits are being bought. Some don't get offered and some turn it down

3 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

High school too.  Crazy how much some of those coaches are now getting paid.

And every university  is a “Nike” “UnderArmor” or “Adidas” school.

1 minute ago, youngbloodz said:

I dont think it has reached the business level just yet. And by that I mean not all of your top recruits are being bought. Some don't get offered and some turn it down

You are missing the point.

10 hours ago, g-dawg said:

On a side note,  what if the projected starting quarterback at the school that Martell is gonna transfer to tweets him this: " don't swing and miss twice..."  

31 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

On a side note,  what if the projected starting quarterback at the school that Martell is gonna transfer to tweets him this: " don't swing and miss twice..."  

technically isn't that a REtweet ?

23 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

Exactly schools can process a player out after a year if they want. 

The processing of players is very minute.  You will see a handful of top teams try and get a player to move along, but 99% of players don't get processed. 

youngbloodz likes this

On 1/11/2019 at 7:32 AM, youngbloodz said:

Oh no it has, and it's been there far longer than people want to admit, or are willing to see. I like college football, but the fact it had a video game not all that long ago tells you it's reached that point. Also the fact no kid can profit off himself, but the university does yeah we're there.

youngbloodz and g-dawg like this

1 hour ago, Zone#7 said:

Oh no it has, and it's been there far longer than people want to admit, or are willing to see. I like college football, but the fact it had a video game not all that long ago tells you it's reached that point. Also the fact no kid can profit off himself, but the university does yeah we're there.

Great point 

2 hours ago, Zone#7 said:

Also the fact no kid can profit off himself, but the university does yeah we're there.

Most of the kids playing wouldn't be profitable.   The one's that would be are also the one's that are being prepared to make millions at the next level.  The guys that don't make the nfl, are still walking away with a degree and are much better prepared to make money beyond college, which many wouldn't have had that avenue without the scholarship.   It's a win win situation. If you don't like schools making millions of dollars, then tough.  

3 hours ago, Zone#7 said:

Which is also why a lot of people don't mind giving money to recruits. 

15 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Which is also why a lot of people don't mind giving money to recruits. 

Yeah but it’s not really market based as all players aren’t created equal.  Lifting or lightening of transfer rule allows the player stuck in a depth situation to maximize their NFL marketability by potentially increased playing time and exposure.

slickgadawg and youngbloodz like this

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah but it’s not really market based as all players aren’t created equal.  Lifting or lightening of transfer rule allows the player stuck in a depth situation to maximize their NFL marketability by potentially increased playing time and exposure.

I agree I was just saying a lot of people don't mind cause of how the NCAA and schools profit off of players

Zone#7 likes this

40 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Georgia's other backup is transferring...Why don't these backups wanna stay and compete?

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/another-uga-backup-quarterback-announces-transfer/amp

I don't mean to sound like an old lady even though I am middled aged, but this generation craves immediate gratification. Waiting their turn is just not something they have learned, especially the kids that have made it on a D1 roster.

As an educator and Mom it is every unfortunate for them. Life is full of delayed gratifications and that lesson is much easier to learn as a child or teenager, not an adult.

Ok, I just stepped down from my soap box, sorry it is the educator in me who has been watching this trend for years now.

Turkeydawg likes this