Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wartownfalcon

Justin Fields to transfer

1,713 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, frankly88 said:

Its not "race stuff" or a "race card".  It was a REAL event that happened involving Justin Fields race.    

Being called an adverse name by a drunk fan makes most NCAA starters eligible for transferring.    

1 minute ago, Turkeydawg said:

True.  Claim cold weather sensitivity.

I blame his dad. A friend of mine knew the fields and told me justin's dad basically says "if my son not starting, my son will not play for you."

7 minutes ago, The Great American said:

Being called an adverse name by a drunk fan makes most NCAA starters eligible for transferring.    

Yep. 

1 hour ago, The Great American said:

Being called an adverse name by a drunk fan makes most NCAA starters eligible for transfering.    

Did it become a national news story?  Are students kicked out of school for making those comments?  

The point is not that this should or should not make Fields eligible for a transfer waiver.  The point is No one is making it up. IT HAPPENED!

Edited by frankly88
Carter and g-dawg like this

8 minutes ago, Nereek said:

I blame his dad. A friend of mine knew the fields and told me justin's dad basically says "if my son not starting, my son will not play for you."

That's no good.

5 minutes ago, frankly88 said:

Does it become a national new story?  Are students kicked out of school for making those comments?  

The point is not that this make should or should not make Fields eligible for a transfer waiver.  The point is No one is making it up. IT HAPPENED!

Yes it happened.  Some drunk student dropped the n bomb in the stands.  

4 minutes ago, frankly88 said:

Does it become a national new story?  Are students kicked out of school for making those comments?  

The point is not that this make should or should not make Fields eligible for a transfer waiver.  The point is No one is making it up. IT HAPPENED!

True, it did happen but that should not be the basis for his transfer as suggested by attorney.  .  His quality of life was never threatened.    

sdogg likes this

I think Martell putting his name in the transfer portal is him trying to manufacture leverage over OSU in the event Justin Fields waiver is approved and he outplays Martell in spring. Putting your name in the portal doesn't mean you ARE transferring, it just means coaches can contact you and allows players to gauge their options for transferring.

So if it looks like Martell won't win the job then he can transfer and he himself may even have a claim for a waiver with "the coaching change affecting his position on the team."

It's a new day in college football.

youngbloodz likes this

1 hour ago, youngbloodz said:

I hope the NCAA approves the waiver just so this thread can reach 100 pages. Let's do it

I hope Fields gets the waiver because I want to see him play more than one play in a row.  I want him to cut it loose and realize his potential.  The sooner the better.

youngbloodz and Zone#7 like this

What's funny to me now is if we hire Eddie Gran. He would be a great match for Fields skill set as a QB. Gran has done some really good stuff with dual threat QBs in his offenses. He's not a QB coach though. But it sounds like Justin had that covered anyway. :rolleyes::lol:

g-dawg, Zone#7 and jeffro2000 like this

5 minutes ago, Carter said:

I think Martell putting his name in the transfer portal is him trying to manufacture leverage over OSU in the event Justin Fields waiver is approved and he outplays Martell in spring. Putting your name in the portal doesn't mean you ARE transferring, it just means coaches can contact you and allows players to gauge their options for transferring.

So if it looks like Martell won't win the job then he can transfer and he himself may even have a claim for a waiver with "the coaching change affecting his position on the team."

It's a new day in college football.

That waiver claim would be as ridiculous as Justin's if granted. We're gonna have a transfer version of the coaching carousel if this all plays out that way

Carter likes this

When you see a talent like Field, you just give him the ball and the rest will be history so to speak. The so-called QB competition is a farce to begin with. Coaches know exactly what their favorite QBs are and who to start even before the QB competition. Dabo didn't go through that freaking QB competition not to give the job to Lawrence.

8 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

That waiver claim would be as ridiculous as Justin's if granted. We're gonna have a transfer version of the coaching carousel if this all plays out that way

They want players to have more freedom of choice academically and athletically. Folks who harp about how unfair it is that coaches can change jobs for any reason they want shouldn't have a problem with players doing it right? :lol: 

2 hours ago, The Great American said:

True, it did happen but that should not be the basis for his transfer as suggested by attorney.  .  His quality of life was never threatened.    

Easy for someone not called that to say that I guess.

GAbred likes this

2 minutes ago, Zone#7 said:

Trust me ... I have been called names AND my quality of life has been threatened before.  

sdogg likes this

1 minute ago, Zone#7 said:

Or easy to say that when the same family is now sending their daughter to the same school.

sdogg likes this

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

I hope Fields gets the waiver because I want to see him play more than one play in a row.  I want him to cut it loose and realize his potential.  The sooner the better.

Same here. Hopefully everything goes well for him. I support all players. Even the ones that diss my school or transfer 

g-dawg likes this

27 minutes ago, Carter said:

They want players to have more freedom of choice academically and athletically. Folks who harp about how unfair it is that coaches can change jobs for any reason they want shouldn't have a problem with players doing it right? :lol: 

Yea I don’t know what the answer to all this is honestly. With the way the rules stand now, I don’t think Fields nor Martel qualify for a waiver if the reported claims are the basis of those waivers. 

I think that the players should have the same freedom to transfer as coaches do to change jobs. That seems fair to me. No individual player holds the same value to a university as a head coach but collectively players have equal value so they deserve equal freedoms. I think the concepts of amateurism is pretty archaic tbh. 

With all that said, a completely open player transfer carousel could be complete chaos so maybe restricting coaching transfers while opening up player transfers could be a middle ground. What the right answer is, is beyond me tho. 

g-dawg likes this

1 hour ago, UAB_DAWG said:

Free for all

g-dawg likes this

9 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Would be the worst possible thing.

Meh...it levels the playing field.  It also is a vehicle for a player to hold a head coach accountable if the HC promises something and doesn’t deliver.   You also see these kids choosing schools and most times the #1 reason is they like the HC or position coach.  We just saw it with Clay Webb.  Maybe the coaches buyouts would go up as a result of transfer rule and there would be less coaching movement to counter the transfer rule.   It could work.

Moreover, while it doesn’t happen in great numbers, my understanding is that when a player commits, it is more like a 3-4yr commitment for players but schools can take it year by year and we know kids get processed. Head coaches have too much power and this would level the playing field.

youngbloodz likes this

4 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

With the new redshirt rule you aren't far from it. 

I agree, but you will lose fans because of it.  I know tons of folks who have zero interest in the NFL because of free agency/no loyalty.  

BamaBirdLady, youngbloodz and sdogg like this