Followers 0
wartownfalcon

Justin Fields to transfer

1,728 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

2018 Heisman Winner - Transfer QB from Texas A&M to Oklahoma

Image result for kyler murray heisman winner

2017 Heisman Winner - Transfer QB from Texas Tech to Oklahoma

WOW!  You showed me a player that transferred.  How many players on UGA's team think they deserve to play more, but are staying put?  Exactly.

sdogg likes this

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

2018 Heisman Winner - Transfer QB from Texas A&M to Oklahoma

Image result for kyler murray heisman winner

2017 Heisman Winner - Transfer QB from Texas Tech to Oklahoma

Guess he should have transferred to OU then huh.. 

sdogg and 95Dawg like this

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

If he takes that talent and combines it with a better attitude.. no one is saying he doesn’t have talent.. he just lacks patience and humility.. 

too many think being humble means thinking less of yourself, when in actuality it means thinking of yourself less.. 

Yep.  Nobody is saying he isn't extremely talented, just that he wasn't ready to be the starter at UGA this year.  But at the same time, giving him another 30 snaps wasn't going to keep him in Athens.

Edited by Turkeydawg
SacFalcFan and sdogg like this

5 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Guess he should have transferred to OU then huh.. 

And could have played with Haselwood.

sdogg likes this

17 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

As Fields said, he was offered the chance to compete.  Fields thought he could beat out Fromm on talent alone and that wasn't the case.

ok 

16 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

What do you think Day offered Fields?

Probably told him the same thing Kirby did. We will give you a chance to compete for the job but you will see time on the field during certain situations 

4 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Probably told him the same thing Kirby did. We will give you a chance to compete for the job but you will see time on the field during certain situations 

And you think that an extra 15-20 snaps would have kept Fields in Athens?  As Rusty said, Fields thought he would beat out Fromm and he didn't.  Because of that, he is moving on.  

22 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Your co-workers are wrong.  I know someone who is at EVERY practice and told me what I had mentioned previously and it was the same as what Sac was hearing from his sources.  Fields is very talented, but he was not consistent enough in practice and struggled reading defenses.  I guess Andrew Thomas was involved with those "politics" you speak of?

I'm talking multiple guys here that are at practice nearly every day, but G-dawg is still right at this point it's armchair analysis all I know is Trevor and Justin we're basically two generational talents you didn't want to pass on.

3 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

If he takes that talent and combines it with a better attitude.. no one is saying he doesn’t have talent.. he just lacks patience and humility.. 

too many think being humble means thinking less of yourself, when in actuality it means thinking of yourself less.. 

I want a Natty and Fromm has had two chances and come up short - Do I believe he can get it done?  Maybe but he has only shown once the ability to close out a top opponent in a top game.   If Fields was the devil himself I might trade my soul for that Natty and Fields has that ability to take a team w/ a lot of talent and get it over the hump - don't see anyone on the horizon in 2019/2020 with his ability - it doesn't come around every year.  While the UGA franchise is setup for success for years to come - we still have to overcome Bama and, until Saban leaves or gets too old, we will have to be elite everywhere and, including QB position. We might have to overcome Ohio State as well.

Would be "must see TV" if Ohio State and UGA meet in the CFP in the next two years - media will have storylines galore.   

FalconsIn2012 likes this

Just now, Turkeydawg said:

And you think that an extra 15-20 snaps would have kept Fields in Athens?  As Rusty said, Fields thought he would beat out Fromm and he didn't.  Because of that, he is moving on.  

Only Fields know that. I don't know. I think Fromm is good but not close to being as good as some UGA fans think. 

FalconsIn2012, g-dawg and Carter like this

5 minutes ago, Zone#7 said:

Trevor and Justin we're basically two generational talents you didn't want to pass on.

Trevor was fortunate to have started for 2 more years in high school than Fields did.  He was more game ready.

TheTrue7 likes this

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I want a Natty and Fromm has had two chances and come up short - Do I believe he can get it done?  Maybe but he has only shown once the ability to close out a top opponent in a top game.   If Fields was the devil himself I might trade my soul for that Natty and Fields has that ability to take a team w/ a lot of talent and get it over the hump - don't see anyone on the horizon in 2019/2020 with his ability - it doesn't come around every year.  While the UGA franchise is setup for success for years to come - we still have to overcome Bama and, until Saban leaves or gets too old, we will have to be elite everywhere and, including QB position. We might have to overcome Ohio State as well.

Would be "must see TV" if Ohio State and UGA meet in the CFP in the next two years - media will have storylines galore.   

Did Fromm come up short, or would you place a lot of that NC loss on the defense?  Bama outscored us 20-7 in the second half.  I put a lot of the blame on the oc not keeping the throttle down and us playing not to lose, instead of to win...on both offense and defense.

Edited by Turkeydawg
sdogg likes this

1 minute ago, Turkeydawg said:

Trevor was fortunate to have started for 2 more years in high school than Fields did.  He was more game ready.

Fields was plenty ready if given opportunity.   If Fields were backing up Kelly Bryant, he would be starting now as well.  There is little to no separation between those two - YES, Lawrence started more years in high school - but Fields was a two year starter at a higher level of competition.

With Trevor I know his coach got him ready for college. I know Joey King and Trevor Lawerence greatly benefited from him being his coach. He was definitely college ready and I'm not surprised by how quickly he has adapted to Clemson 

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Fields was plenty ready if given opportunity.   If Fields were backing up Kelly Bryant, he would be starting now as well.  There is little to no separation between those two - YES, Lawrence started more years in high school - but Fields was a two year starter at a higher level of competition.

Was Fields going to magically be able to read defenses once he crossed the state border into South Carolina?

RandomFan and sdogg like this

5 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Did Fromm come up short, or would you place a lot of that NC loss on the defense?  Bama outscored us 16-3 in the second half.  I put a lot of the blame on the oc not keeping the throttle down and us playing not to lose, instead of to win...on both offense and defense.

I place most of both the Natty and the SECCG losses on the offense.  The defense played well enough for long enough in both those games to win.   Fromm played good enough to win against 95% of teams in both those games but not good enough to beat Bama.  I place a lot of the blame - if not most - on Chaney but Fromm was part off it.   In both games when we needed a play or three to close out Bama he just didn't get it done - bad luck?  maybe.     

Look, I'm riding w/ Fromm and he's a DGD but we just let a better and more talented prospect walk out the door - if Kirby/Chaney were going to use Fields the way they ultimately did, then they should have redshirted him and hoped that the extra space would keep him in Athens.   Play the kid, have a plan for the kid - OR - redshirt him.    Kirby/Chaney didn't commit to either and half-azzed it which accomplished nothing.   I don't care what your opinion of Fields or Fromm is and if it differs from mine - there is zero doubt that a huge contributing factor to this debacle is how Kirby and Chaney handled it.    This topic only has a shelf-life for a few more days or weeks - but it will get re-visited annually until both QB careers are over.    Ultimately I believe Kirby will look back one day w/ regret on how he handled this.   He's a third year HC and it wasn't an easy situation for sure.

Don't know that I buy the Rusty explanation in that if Fields wasn't starter by year-end he was leaving regardless.

48 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I'm not biased because of the High School - that is just a cool bonus.

I'm biased of the talent - which is real.    The talent is the talent and Fields has tremendous talent.   It will be obvious in a few years to all those that cannot wait for him to leave right now.    Had Kirby/Chaney handled it better, I believe they could have held onto Fields for an extra year and this might have all worked out - maybe not - but would have been nice to have had Fields on campus for more than one year where he had a chance to have a full year in system.

I'm sure that the entire coaching staff at UGA agrees that it would be great to work with him for another season, but what can you do if he doesn't want to stay? You can't just make him the starter because you're afraid he'll transfer. 

This happens in big time college football. You have two stud recruits competing for the same job and the one who doesn't get it starts looking at other options. Especially at QB because there's only one QB on the field at a time. 

Everyone wants to blame someone, but this is just a case of everyone looking out for their own interests, as they should. 

Turkeydawg, sdogg and Carter like this

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I place most of both the Natty and the SECCG losses on the offense.  The defense played well enough for long enough in both those games to win.   Fromm played good enough to win against 95% of teams in both those games but not good enough to beat Bama.  I place a lot of the blame - if not most - on Chaney but Fromm was part off it.   In both games when we needed a play or three to close out Bama he just didn't get it done - bad luck?  maybe.     

Look, I'm riding w/ Fromm and he's a DGD but we just let a better and more talented prospect walk out the door - if Kirby/Chaney were going to use Fields the way they ultimately did, then they should have redshirted him and hoped that the extra space would keep him in Athens.   Play the kid, have a plan for the kid - OR - redshirt him.    Kirby/Chaney didn't commit to either and half-azzed it which accomplished nothing.   I don't care what your opinion of Fields or Fromm is and if it differs from mine - there is zero doubt that a huge contributing factor to this debacle is how Kirby and Chaney handled it.    This topic only has a shelf-life for a few more days or weeks - but it will get re-visited annually until both QB careers are over.    Ultimately I believe Kirby will look back one day w/ regret on how he handled this.   He's a third year HC and it wasn't an easy situation for sure.

Don't know that I buy the Rusty explanation in that if Fields wasn't starter by year-end he was leaving regardless.

Last I checked, a game is 4 qtrs and the defense is also required to play for all 4.

We let the more talented prospect walk out the door, but at this stage, he wasn't better.  What should we have done, told him he was going to be the starter, because he was more talented?  Get real.

Do you think it would be wise to redshirt your only other scholarship qb?  

Why would Kirby regret how he handled this?  He played the player most ready to play and which gave us the best chance to win right now.  

sdogg and RandomFan like this

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

1. Fields being the more physically gifted QB doesn't mean he's the better QB. Especially in a pro style offense that's based on reads and accuracy. 

2. You're assuming Fields was willing to take a redshirt and not play. We don't know what was promised. 

sdogg likes this

2 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

I'm sure that the entire coaching staff at UGA agrees that it would be great to work with him for another season, but what can you do if he doesn't want to stay? You can't just make him the starter because you're afraid he'll transfer. 

This happens in big time college football. You have two stud recruits competing for the same job and the one who doesn't get it starts looking at other options. Especially at QB because there's only one QB on the field at a time. 

Everyone wants to blame someone, but this is just a case of everyone looking out for their own interests, as they should. 

there was probably NOTHING that could have been done at season's-end to make him stay.   This was a progression of decisions made and a lack of a plan and a lack of playing opportunity throughout the season.   Where Kirby and Coaches could have helped secure the player for 2019 - would have been a series of decisions, development, planning and opportunity across the season.   I don't think it was just one thing "make me starter or I'm leaving" ultimatum.   If Fields felt he was being groomed for an opportunity to compete for the job in 2019, he probably stays - my guess is he felt like he was there to be the clipboard holder and Chaney/Kirby had it in there heads that Fromm would be starter for as long as he was here.   Who knows for sure what each character in this saga thought?  I am speculating but so are all of you.

I find it comical that anyone would think based on talent alone that Fields is guaranteed to succeed at this level or the next.  That may be one of the most foolish things anyone could say.  Fields may be turn out to be the greatest quarterback ever.  He could also be one of the biggest busts ever.  He could land somewhere in between.  The only one that knows what Field's future holds is God and God alone.  There is a long list/history of mega talented guys like Field's that didn't make it for a million and one different reasons.  There is also a long list/history of mega talented guys that succeeded on varying levels.

I also find it completely ridiculous that Field's was so much better than Fromm in practice and Kirby told Field's to suck it.  That makes absolutely no sense.

Field's wasn't ready as 99.9999999% of high school kids aren't ready to become the starter, he didn't beat out Fromm and now he has decided to take his talents elsewhere.  End of story.  Lets stop the conspiracy theories.  Kirby said Field's was working his butt off, he is the only person I know that was a witness that has really commented on these things.  Everything else is pure gossip.  Unless you talked to Fields directly or saw it with your own eyes, it's gossip.

Let's burn this thread because not a single person has any stake in Field's future and again I wouldn't bet my good name or my integrity on Field's being great or being a bust.  Good luck to the kid.  If Kirby wins a national title, they can make Field's the president for all i care.  No one kid is going to take UGA to a title, so good luck to him unless he is on the other sideline.

sdogg likes this

Just now, g-dawg said:

there was probably NOTHING that could have been done at season's-end to make him stay.   This was a progression of decisions made and a lack of a plan and a lack of playing opportunity throughout the season.   Where Kirby and Coaches could have helped secure the player for 2019 - would have been a series of decisions, development, planning and opportunity across the season.   I don't think it was just one thing "make me starter or I'm leaving" ultimatum.   If Fields felt he was being groomed for an opportunity to compete for the job in 2019, he probably stays - my guess is he felt like he was there to be the clipboard holder and Chaney/Kirby had it in there heads that Fromm would be starter for as long as he was here.   Who knows for sure what each character in this saga thought?  I am speculating but so are all of you.

There's only one starting QB. It's not like a LB who can still start outside if he doesn't get the Mike job. You're either the man, or you're not. 

And Fields played a lot this season. Far more than most backups. You may have a problem with the playcalling while he was in, and that's a fair criticism, but we don't know what the coaches were seeing from him in practice. My guess is that if he was making lots of good reads and accurate throws in practice, we would have seen more of a wide open playbook. 

No one likes to lose a highly touted prospect like him, but sometimes guys just aren't a good fit no matter what you do, and that's not necessarily anyone's fault.

sdogg likes this

6 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Last I checked, a game is 4 qtrs and the defense is also required to play for all 4.

We let the more talented prospect walk out the door, but at this stage, he wasn't better.  What should we have done, told him he was going to be the starter, because he was more talented?  Get real.

Do you think it would be wise to redshirt your only other scholarship qb?  

Why would Kirby regret how he handled this?  He played the player most ready to play and which gave us the best chance to win right now.  

the defense didn't lose the natty - they really played as well as could be expected - if you believe the defense lost it, I don't know what to tell you other than you would be in the extreme minority.

You keep talking about starter stuff - but I don't know why - I keep telling you that wasn't the ultimate decider - Chaney is not a great OC and he has little imagination and seemed to lack interest in developing Fields - "there is no plan" - straight from the horse's mouth.   Kirby will have regret because there was no plan - and - he will see what a team (Ohio State) that knows how to develop a dual option QB who is an explosive offensive weapon - will see what could have been w/ Georgia - had Kirby/Chaney been more committed to having a plan for Fields - even as the backup and part-time player.    If Fields felt like he was being coached well and at a high level and there was a progression to increased playing opportunity - we likely wouldn't be where we are today.   Loss of Fields, loss of Haselwood, potential loss of 2020 RB Milton.

1 minute ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

There's only one starting QB. It's not like a LB who can still start outside if he doesn't get the Mike job. You're either the man, or you're not. 

And Fields played a lot this season. Far more than most backups. You may have a problem with the playcalling while he was in, and that's a fair criticism, but we don't know what the coaches were seeing from him in practice. My guess is that if he was making lots of good reads and accurate throws in practice, we would have seen more of a wide open playbook. 

No one likes to lose a highly touted prospect like him, but sometimes guys just aren't a good fit no matter what you do, and that's not necessarily anyone's fault.

if the ONLY reason Fields wasn't a good fit was because we had Fromm - then that's not a good reason-  and that was the ONLY reason