Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wartownfalcon

Justin Fields to transfer

1,728 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

So what you're saying here is as our #1 recruit he was entitled to more playing time? ;)

Maybe there was a plan in place for Fields and he wasn't able to implement it yet. 

Shhh.  You can't say that.

24 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

That is true. A lot of guys do enjoy the college life. But a lot of them just care about the NFL ultimately.

Then he made the wrong choice to begin with.  If he wanted to come in and start right away, or wasn't prepared to be brought along gradually, as he became more adept at reading defenses and understanding the offense, then he should have gone elsewhere.

sdogg likes this

35 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

So what you're saying here is as our #1 recruit he was entitled to more playing time? ;)

Maybe there was a plan in place for Fields and he wasn't able to implement it yet. 

Entitlement is not a word that I use - it is a word that all the Fields-haters use.   I don't believe Fields was entitled to playing time but I do believe he earned much more than what he got - I believe he earned more garbage time, earned more opportunities to throw the ball and show his wares.

Nothing in Fields limited snaps shows anything other than he deserved more time on the field, not less.   For all the "one read and then he takes off" stuff his detractors throw at him - Fields is out there trying to make plays and he makes them.   As to what the coaches wanted him to do in those situations,   you don't know if that is exactly what he was told to do.   Further, when you get a handful of plays a game, it is human tendency to want to make the most of each play - as you stand in pocket going through progressions, the more you go through, the longer period of time the passrush has to get at you.    It's more likely than not that Fields was told in certain situations to look at 1 or 2 reads and go if nothing there.

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Entitlement is not a word that I use - it is a word that all the Fields-haters use.   I don't believe Fields was entitled to playing time but I do believe he earned much more than what he got - I believe he earned more garbage time, earned more opportunities to throw the ball and show his wares.

Nothing in Fields limited snaps shows anything other than he deserved more time on the field, not less.   For all the "one read and then he takes off" stuff his detractors throw at him - Fields is out there trying to make plays and he makes them.   As to what the coaches wanted him to do in those situations,   you don't know if that is exactly what he was told to do.   Further, when you get a handful of plays a game, it is human tendency to want to make the most of each play - as you stand in pocket going through progressions, the more you go through, the longer period of time the passrush has to get at you.    It's more likely than not that Fields was told in certain situations to look at 1 or 2 reads and go if nothing there.

It is very simple to see, but you want to ignore it.  

Andrew Thomas on Fromm vs Fields.

"I think Jake, he's always positive," Thomas said. "Jake's the same every day. He's very smart. I think that's the separation sometimes, how he can understand the plays, understand the checks, and things like that."

sdogg and RandomFan like this

4 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

It is very simple to see, but you want to ignore it.  

Andrew Thomas on Fromm vs Fields.

"I think Jake, he's always positive," Thomas said. "Jake's the same every day. He's very smart. I think that's the separation sometimes, how he can understand the plays, understand the checks, and things like that."

reverse it and put Justin on the field and Jake on the bench.   How positive would Jake be on the bench?  maybe he seethes more quietly or or tolerates it better than Fields. Competitors want to play - show me a happy #2 QB and I will show you one that doesn't desire to be great, much less want to start.  

Give me a year head start on you at studying a playbook and I will know more than you - whether you are better than me or not.  What you say above is rather meaningless - it also doesn't touch my contention that Fields wasn't given enough time - you are arguing who should start and I'm not making the argument that Fields should start.

6 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

reverse it and put Justin on the field and Jake on the bench.   How positive would Jake be on the bench?  maybe he seethes more quietly or or tolerates it better than Fields. Competitors want to play - show me a happy #2 QB and I will show you one that doesn't desire to be great, much less want to start.  

Give me a year head start on you at studying a playbook and I will know more than you - whether you are better than me or not.  What you say above is rather meaningless - it also doesn't touch my contention that Fields wasn't given enough time - you are arguing who should start and I'm not making the argument that Fields should start.

Read the part in bold, which I why I left out the positive part. 

Fields had 3 more years of time to prove himself.  If you are going to be butt hurt about not getting as many snaps as YOU think you deserve, too bad.  Prove yourself every day and get better.  Bust your *** and put in extra work.  Show everyone that you want to get better and make them find a bigger role for you.  

It's a shame that some of these kids move on to college and feel that something should be given, not earned.  If Fields had proven himself more in practice, he would have gotten more snaps.  END OF STORY!

sdogg and RandomFan like this

25 minutes ago, Carter said:

Fans say that kind of stuff all the time. How many Dawg fans said Murray or any number of our RBs would win the Heisman and they haven’t even been finalists? Some folks feeling like Fields will be an exceptionally great player eventually is a really strange thing to be annoyed or take issue with. Vast majority of Dawg fans who pay attention to recruiting were saying the same things before the season started. Between Fromm and Fields, our OL and RB, we were going to dominate offensively for the foreseeable future.

I was always on the redshirt him if at all possible train of thought. That absolutely should have happened given how he was actually used as a backup QB.

And it’s very apparent that there are a lot more players on this team with attitude/entitlement issues than just him. He’s probably the least of it honestly, he is removing himself from the situation and had been rumored to since October. Got a lot of guys coming back who played a lot more than him who give up and keep playing.

So because fans say stuff like that, I should just listen? Why? They use it in their arguments for the kid.. it just has no merit.. he hasn’t shown he can live up to those expectations yet.. so why tout him.. why make him out to be so much more than he’s proven (so far) to be.. 

And yes I’m happy he’s gone.. you say there’s more attitude issues within the team.. I agree.. but it’s most prevalent in the younger kids.. the more impressionable players.. and having JF continue to act the way he was definitely wasn’t helping.. so be gone..

sorry if it seems as if I’m a hater because I’m not agreeing with the ones who are obviously biased due to him going to a certain high school.. but I wanna see results at this level in a game.. not what he’s done in high school or some drills that are against high schoolers.. 

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, Carter said:

This guy Wolken is a real piece of work.

So apparently Wolken criticized the hire of Kirby when Richt was let go.  And now he's mad that Kirby didn't come out and say that Fields was transferring, instead of saying he was exploring his options.

Edited by Turkeydawg

Fields got 40 attempts in a year where Georgia won by 3+ scores on average. That's pretty pathetic. Hope he balls out at OSU.

g-dawg likes this

5 minutes ago, HEIST said:

Fields got 40 attempts in a year where Georgia won by 3+ scores on average. That's pretty pathetic. Hope he balls out at OSU.

Moral to this story, work harder and prove your worth in practice.  Don't believe your star rating will dictate your success, positively, or negatively.

sdogg likes this

15 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

So because fans say stuff like that, I should just listen? Why? They use it in their arguments for the kid.. it just has no merit.. he hasn’t shown he can live up to those expectations yet.. so why tout him.. why make him out to be so much more than he’s proven (so far) to be.. 

And yes I’m happy he’s gone.. you say there’s more attitude issues within the team.. I agree.. but it’s most prevalent in the younger kids.. the more impressionable players.. and having JF continue to act the way he was definitely wasn’t helping.. so be gone..

sorry if it seems as if I’m a hater because I’m not agreeing with the ones who are obviously biased due to him going to a certain high school.. but I wanna see results at this level in a game.. not what he’s done in high school or some drills that are against high schoolers.. 

I'm not biased because of the High School - that is just a cool bonus.

I'm biased of the talent - which is real.    The talent is the talent and Fields has tremendous talent.   It will be obvious in a few years to all those that cannot wait for him to leave right now.    Had Kirby/Chaney handled it better, I believe they could have held onto Fields for an extra year and this might have all worked out - maybe not - but would have been nice to have had Fields on campus for more than one year where he had a chance to have a full year in system.

6 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Moral to this story, work harder and prove your worth in practice.  Don't believe your star rating will dictate your success, positively, or negatively.

there are lots of accounts of Fields balling out in practice.

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

there are lots of accounts of Fields balling out in practice.

Co-workers that have seen the boys close up because we actually live here, and can go out to see them have said multiple times this season Fields should have been the starter. That's how much he was balling out at practice, but I view it as "politics" more than anything else.

Edited by Zone#7

Aint gonna lie little bit concerned that UGA had 2 #1 QB recruits, and in the end saw them play one season and 40 attempts. That said you got to trust in Kirby, has the Dawgs to new heights in 3 years. Wish Fields and Eason the best and move on.  

52 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Then he made the wrong choice to begin with.  If he wanted to come in and start right away, or wasn't prepared to be brought along gradually, as he became more adept at reading defenses and understanding the offense, then he should have gone elsewhere.

I'm sure Kirby promised him something in return for his commitment. I have been around enough recruits to know nothing comes free

6 minutes ago, Zone#7 said:

Co-workers that have seen the boys close up because we actually live here, and can go out to see them have said multiple times this season Fields should have been the starter. That's how much he was balling out at practice, but I view it as "politics" more than anything else.

Your co-workers are wrong.  I know someone who is at EVERY practice and told me what I had mentioned previously and it was the same as what Sac was hearing from his sources.  Fields is very talented, but he was not consistent enough in practice and struggled reading defenses.  I guess Andrew Thomas was involved with those "politics" you speak of?

sdogg likes this

5 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

I'm sure Kirby promised him something in return for his commitment. I have been around enough recruits to know nothing comes free

As Fields said, he was offered the chance to compete.  Fields thought he could beat out Fromm on talent alone and that wasn't the case.

sdogg likes this

8 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

What do you think Day offered Fields?

9 minutes ago, Zone#7 said:

I don't know just like no one else here knows exactly the score on what went down and how practices played out.   I don't believe it's as simple as "Fromm was better in practice" as I don't believe Eason was better than Fromm last year in practice when Eason was the starter, either.

There is too much "everything Fields did was wrong" arm-chair analysis on this board because it is an easy narrative to take.   Once you concede that Kirby/Chaney didn't handle the QB snaps properly and Fields was short-changed, all the other stuff comes into play. 

Fields wanted to play, earned more than he got - and when he felt he didn't get the PT he felt he earned/deserved, he was probably surly about it and might have developed an attitude.  It would be nice if Fields just took it and waited and hoped he would get his shot next year.   I don't think his nor his father's POV was that he was getting PT that he was earning - probably led to hard feelings and distrust - rightly or wrongly, that was probably their perception.   Once you lose trust, divorce is imminent.

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Fields wanted to play, earned more than he got - and when he felt he didn't get the PT he felt he deserved, he was probably surly about it and might have developed an attitude.  It would be nice if Fields just took it and waited and hoped he would get his shot next year.   I don't think his nor his father's POV was that he was getting PT that he was earning - probably led to hard feelings and distrust - rightly or wrongly, that was probably their perception.   Once you lose trust, divorce is imminent.

Almost all players feel they deserve more playing time, or have earned it.  Divorce is not imminent 99% of the time!

sdogg likes this

Fields was given opportunities to win the QB job. Don’t sail off with that theory either. He wasn’t ready this year. That’s the bottom line. He has all the talent in the world but we aren’t exactly in a position of having to rely on him. Fromm is the more consistent QB and Fields was not winning the job unless he was clearly better than Fromm. Wasn’t the case.

Fields is leaving because he no longer believes UGA will turn him into the best QB he can be. It’s about the simplest explanation. I don’t know why everyone wants to character assassinate this kid and his family or say the coaches totally botched having him on the roster.

sdogg likes this

8 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Almost all players feel they deserve more playing time, or have earned it.  Divorce is not imminent 99% of the time!

2018 Heisman Winner - Transfer QB from Texas A&M to Oklahoma

Image result for kyler murray heisman winner

2017 Heisman Winner - Transfer QB from Texas Tech to Oklahoma

18 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I'm not biased because of the High School - that is just a cool bonus.

I'm biased of the talent - which is real.    The talent is the talent and Fields has tremendous talent.   It will be obvious in a few years to all those that cannot wait for him to leave right now.    Had Kirby/Chaney handled it better, I believe they could have held onto Fields for an extra year and this might have all worked out - maybe not - but would have been nice to have had Fields on campus for more than one year where he had a chance to have a full year in system.

If he takes that talent and combines it with a better attitude.. no one is saying he doesn’t have talent.. he just lacks patience and humility.. 

too many think being humble means thinking less of yourself, when in actuality it means thinking of yourself less.. 

95Dawg and sdogg like this