Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wartownfalcon

Justin Fields to transfer

1,728 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Agreed.   There is ZERO reason after this year that Fields & Family should have confidence in Kirby/Chaney.

Which brings up two questions in my mind: 

1. What, if anything, was promised to Fields?

2. What did Fields think he was entitled to get? 

I don't think anyone here knows the answer to either of these questions so any assertions that Fields was treated unfairly, or that Fields is a selfish prima donna are without any basis of fact. 

sdogg and GAbred like this

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Judge it in two years, chief. ;)

Are we talking potential?  I think he has plenty of it.  We were talking about this year and his inability to beat out Fromm, which is understandable.  Most of wish he would have stayed, grown in the offense and ultimately challenged to be the starter. 

sdogg likes this

3 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Which brings up two questions in my mind: 

1. What, if anything, was promised to Fields?

2. What did Fields think he was entitled to get? 

I don't think anyone here knows the answer to either of these questions so any assertions that Fields was treated unfairly, or that Fields is a selfish prima donna are without any basis of fact. 

ain't no telling what Kirby told them...:lol:

Just now, slickgadawg said:

ain't no telling what Kirby told them...:lol:

Exactly. So saying that it's Kirby's fault he's transferring is irresponsible without knowing that. 

sdogg likes this

20 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Maybe, just maybe, the coaches that watched these guys practice every day didn't see anything in Fields that would make them think he was ready to take the job.

That is a possibility. 

At any rate, I don't think Fields is all that interested in playing college football anyway. He's looking for the most direct path to the NFL, in my opinion. 

Don't bother trying to bring common sense to this thread. Some here seem to know more about qb evaluations than the staff even though they haven't watched a minute of practice. 

sdogg likes this

1 minute ago, Turkeydawg said:

Are we talking potential?  I think he has plenty of it.  We were talking about this year and his inability to beat out Fromm, which is understandable.  Most of wish he would have stayed, grown in the offense and ultimately challenged to be the starter. 

Even as a non-starter, Fields was treated unfairly in how he was used.   There was no excuse for the ad hoc manner in how his playing time, conservative playcalls and flow of game were distributed.   As the highest rated player Georgia had recruited, there should have been a plan in place for him - even as backup - there wasn’t and he’s gone.   Had Kirby & Chaney handled it better, we probably get one more year of Fields if he felt he would be given fair shot in 2019 - and it seemed clear to me from 2018 that wasn’t going to happen.

Fromm is very good but he has stellar OL and RB game so any UGA QB has opportunity to look good.  I like Fromm a lot but he is somewhat overrated by the fanbase - had a magical game vs OU and in 8 qtrs vs Bama played well in about 5 qtrs

2 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Exactly. So saying that it's Kirby's fault he's transferring is irresponsible without knowing that. 

no. I'm saying that Kirby is a GREAT recruiter...

He must have zero confidence in the staff developing him otherwise he would stay and redshirt. Or I guess the staff said a redshirt wasnt an option

Just now, g-dawg said:

Even as a non-starter, Fields was treated unfairly in how he was used.   There was no excuse for the ad hoc manner in how his playing time, conservative playcalls and flow of game were distributed.   As the highest rated player Georgia had recruited, there should have been a plan in place for him - even as backup - there wasn’t and he’s gone.   Had Kirby & Chaney handled it better, we probably get one more year of Fields if he felt he would be given fair shot in 2019 - and it seemed clear to me from 2018 that wasn’t going to happen.

Fromm is very good but he has stellar OL and RB game so any UGA QB has opportunity to look good.  I like Fromm a lot but he is somewhat overrated by the fanbase - had a magical game vs OU and in 8 qtrs vs Bama played well in about 5 qtrs

Again, maybe there was a reason for the play calls when Fields was in the game. In that, I will have to defer to the coaches that watched him practice every day.

All I'm saying is that maybe there was a reason that Fields was given mostly run plays or passes that required simple reads. 

sdogg likes this

I don't think Fields is scared of competition or feels entitled. I just think he believes he can win the job at OSU just like he did when he came to UGA. And that's what you want from a qb. 

Unfortunately, I think he's getting poor advise from his inner circle telling him he can roll in to OSU and take the job there like they probably did at UGA. 

Ultimately, Fields and those around him don't seem to have an appreciate for how big an advantage it is to spend time in and learning a system, especially a complicated one like UGAs. Talent alone will not win him the starting job.

I think he should sit out a year at OSU for a number of reasons and I wish him the best there. For his sake I hope it works out because he won't be able to do this again. 

1 minute ago, UAB_DAWG said:

I don't think Fields is scared of competition or feels entitled. I just think he believes he can win the job at OSU just like he did when he came to UGA. And that's what you want from a qb. 

Unfortunately, I think he's getting poor advise from his inner circle telling him he can roll in to OSU and take the job there like they probably did at UGA. 

Ultimately, Fields and those around him don't seem to have an appreciate for how big an advantage it is to spend time in and learning a system, especially a complicated one like UGAs. Talent alone will not win him the starting job.

I think he should sit out a year at OSU for a number of reasons and I wish him the best there. For his sake I hope it works out because he won't be able to do this again. 

Or the offense at OSU is a better fit for his skill set. Which I always believed to be the case. 

6 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

So what you're saying here is as our #1 recruit he was entitled to more playing time? ;)

Maybe there was a plan in place for Fields and he wasn't able to implement it yet. 

sdogg likes this

1 minute ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Or the offense at OSU is a better fit for his skill set. Which I always believed to be the case. 

Yea I agree with that in respect to playing qb at the college level but I don't necessarily think that offense is better suited to prepare him for the NFL. 

1 hour ago, Carter said:

The question was about arm talent compared to Trevor Lawrence. Whether it’s in 7 on 7, practice, or a live game, arm talent is arm talent. Fields arm talent is without question at least as good as Lawrence and was evidently better when they competed directly against each other.

I really didn’t say anything beyond that about how he would do or if he would end up being better than Lawrence. Arm talent is only part of the equation. Lawrence was a lot more prepared to be a QB in college.

For as much **** as you give my man g-dawg about supporting Fields, you sure do go out of your way just as much to try and **** on the kid and argue with anyone that has anything positive to say about him.

Come on now Carter.. I don’t **** on him.. I have stated that it’s not his talent or athletic ability that I don’t like.. his attitude is.. sorry I’m not on here crowing about how he’s gonna win the heisman, national championship, and be the #1 pick.. but I feel you have to earn those.. much like the starting job he wasn’t able to......

sdogg likes this

40 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Maybe, just maybe, the coaches that watched these guys practice every day didn't see anything in Fields that would make them think he was ready to take the job.

That is a possibility. 

At any rate, I don't think Fields is all that interested in playing college football anyway. He's looking for the most direct path to the NFL, in my opinion. 

Who the heck isn't if you truly think for one second a lot of these guys care about college football traditions etc you're out of your mind. Honestly if I'm at UGA I'm looking for quickest way to get drafted to make money. That moniker of student athlete by now should be considered a farce.

1 minute ago, Zone#7 said:

Who the heck isn't if you truly think for one second a lot of these guys care about college football traditions etc you're out of your mind. Honestly if I'm at UGA I'm looking for quickest way to get drafted to make money. That moniker of student athlete by now should be considered a farce.

Even though the ultimate goal is NFL for most, many guys still enjoy the college game and experience. Ask Chubb and Michel among a long list of others. 

Even though the ultimate goal is NFL for most, many guys still enjoy the college game and experience. Ask Chubb and Michel among a long list of others. 

That is true. A lot of guys do enjoy the college life. But a lot of them just care about the NFL ultimately.

You're correct, but for 90% of these guys it's a means to an end. Also people will say anything as well Chubb and Michel probably loved the atmosphere etc, but if asked if they could skip UGA jump to NFL, probably some other league where they could make money they'd probably skip out.

People gotta eat.

3 minutes ago, Zone#7 said:

You're correct, but for 90% of these guys it's a means to an end. Also people will say anything as well Chubb and Michel probably loved the atmosphere etc, but if asked if they could skip UGA jump to NFL, probably some other league where they could make money they'd probably skip out.

People gotta eat.

90% of the guys don’t make it to the nfl. And for some a college degree and a chance to be successful after school (or nfl) is a means to an end. 

1 minute ago, TheTrue7 said:

Come on now Carter.. I don’t **** on him.. I have stated that it’s not his talent or athletic ability that I don’t like.. his attitude is.. sorry I’m not on here crowing about how he’s gonna win the heisman, national championship, and be the #1 pick.. but I feel you have to earn those.. much like the starting job he wasn’t able to......

Fans say that kind of stuff all the time. How many Dawg fans said Murray or any number of our RBs would win the Heisman and they haven’t even been finalists? Some folks feeling like Fields will be an exceptionally great player eventually is a really strange thing to be annoyed or take issue with. Vast majority of Dawg fans who pay attention to recruiting were saying the same things before the season started. Between Fromm and Fields, our OL and RB, we were going to dominate offensively for the foreseeable future.

I was always on the redshirt him if at all possible train of thought. That absolutely should have happened given how he was actually used as a backup QB.

And it’s very apparent that there are a lot more players on this team with attitude/entitlement issues than just him. He’s probably the least of it honestly, he is removing himself from the situation and had been rumored to since October. Got a lot of guys coming back who played a lot more than him who give up and keep playing.

g-dawg likes this

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

90% of the guys don’t make it to the nfl. And for some a college degree and a chance to be successful after school (or nfl) is a means to an end. 

You're right, but conventional wisdom says you can always go back to school, and although they might not make it most are thinking about trying to get there is my point.

Edited by Zone#7