Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wartownfalcon

Justin Fields to transfer

1,728 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, sdogg said:

They would be fools to allow it, especially if it's based off of 1 idiotic baseball players, idiotic comment. That player was immediately dealt with. If the NCAA let's him play, it will open up Pandora's box and college football will suffer in the long run. 

I disagree.  I believe getting rid of the transfer rule will HELP college football.  My thinking is that it will make college coaches AND players make better decisions on who signs.  It will open up MORE opportunities for 4,3 and 2 star players.  For example, if the rule was in place this year a coach might not target a five star if he already has one on board. He would focus on a 4 or 3 star instead. I get the Free Agency aspect of it but hey, coaches are free agents, why not the players?  It would force coaches and players to better think their decisions...

Gritzblitz 2.0 likes this

Just imagine the drama had Eason decided to stay as well, lol. 

Eason very well could have been like "I was here before both of you and I'm going to take my job back" 

5 minutes ago, sdogg said:

And perhaps that souring attitude, so early in the season, turned Kirby off on giving him "meaningful snaps". Being sour like that, shows immaturity and a lack of leadership. You can't say that about Fromm. 

that is actually a good point as well.. hadn't thought of it that way..  kirby has said you earn playing time in practice and if you are going to pout showing immaturity then that will affect how much you play.  if you look at his stat line he has zero throws in i think like 5 games most were blowouts.  

Back when Kirby said “the plan is there is no plan,” I had assumed that was just something he was telling the media. But then I saw how Fields was used this season and realized that unfortunately Kirby had told the truth. I hope Fields stays, but I won’t blame him if he decides to go some place that can better prepare him to take meaningful snaps.

3 minutes ago, sdogg said:

Just imagine the drama had Eason decided to stay as well, lol. 

Eason very well could have been like "I was here before both of you and I'm going to take my job back" 

eason was not given a shot to win his job back.. as soon as fromm won at notre dame the battle for the starting job was done..  Eason could have pouted and went public with it, but he didn't.. he got good advice from his dad and he handled it right..  

1 minute ago, SacFalcFan said:

that is actually a good point as well.. hadn't thought of it that way..  kirby has said you earn playing time in practice and if you are going to pout showing immaturity then that will affect how much you play.  if you look at his stat line he has zero throws in i think like 5 games most were blowouts.  

Yeah, if you have some growing up to do, it will be reflected in lack of pt under Kirby.

sdogg likes this

Just now, SacFalcFan said:

eason was not given a shot to win his job back.. as soon as fromm won at notre dame the battle for the starting job was done..  Eason could have pouted and went public with it, but he didn't.. he got good advice from his dad and he handled it right..  

Yep.  He did handle it the right way and I hope he has much success at UW.

sdogg likes this

1 minute ago, Turkeydawg said:

So we need to recruit 4 star qb's

we need to do a much better job recruiting qbs period.. you can't take 5 star after 5 star and nothing else..  the fact that if fields does transfer we have right now 1 guy in pumlee who is a blue shirt kid as the only option is a complete failure.  we should take 2 qbs each class until we get some depth. 

2 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

I disagree.  I believe getting rid of the transfer rule will HELP college football.  My thinking is that it will make college coaches AND players make better decisions on who signs.  It will open up MORE opportunities for 4,3 and 2 star players.  For example, if the rule was in place this year a coach might not target a five star if he already has one on board. He would focus on a 4 or 3 star instead. I get the Free Agency aspect of it but hey, coaches are free agents, why not the players?  It would force coaches and players to better think their decisions...

I don't think so. It would cause total chaos. Giving them the freedom to transfer whenever they feel, would actually help them to make less sound decisions. 

43 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Maybe he should have gotten more snaps, but the bottom line is he was behind a better qb and one that is still only a true soph.  Pipe down with your "disrespectful" nonsense.  You sound like a cry baby.  

No, it was DISRESPECTFUL to just use Fields for hand offs ONLY instead of giving him MEANINGFUL play time reps, and after a hand off then Fromm would come right back in like hokey pokey (Fields in; Fields out, Fromm back in). Saban didn't do that with Tua throughout 2017 when he was backing up Hurts and it payed off in the national championship when they beat us. This is why Georgia won't be winning a national championship anytime soon. The stats say that since 2005 Texas, outside of Alabama because of their top recruiting classes, the majority of national champions everywhere else have always had dual treat QB's, and a lot of them had to beat Alabama in their national title run too. Look at 2014 Ohio State with JT Barrett/Cardale Jones, 2016 Clemson with Deshaun Watson, 2008 Florida with Tim Tebow, 2010 Auburn with Cam Newton, 2013 Florida State with Jameis Winston, and so forth. Alabama has Tua and Hurts now and they beat us with dual threat Tua last season. The game has changed. Kirby Smart is still behind the times. 

1 minute ago, mqg96 said:

No, it was DISRESPECTFUL to just use Fields for hand offs ONLY instead of giving him MEANINGFUL play time reps, and after a hand off then Fromm would come right back in like hokey pokey (Fields in; Fields out, Fromm back in). Saban didn't do that with Tua throughout 2017 when he was backing up Hurts and it payed off in the national championship when they beat us. This is why Georgia won't be winning a national championship anytime soon. The stats say that since 2005 Texas, outside of Alabama because of their top recruiting classes, the majority of national champions everywhere else have always had dual treat QB's, and a lot of them had to beat Alabama in their national title run too. Look at 2014 Ohio State with JT Barrett/Cardale Jones, 2016 Clemson with Deshaun Watson, 2008 Florida with Tim Tebow, 2010 Auburn with Cam Newton, 2013 Florida State with Jameis Winston, and so forth. Alabama has Tua and Hurts now and they beat us with dual threat Tua last season. The game has changed. Kirby Smart is still behind the times. 

Such a moronic comment.  Disrespectful?  What a load of crap.  If you want to say he should have gotten more snaps, that's fine.  To say it's disrespectful is foolish.

sdogg likes this

4 minutes ago, sdogg said:

I don't think so. It would cause total chaos. Giving them the freedom to transfer whenever they feel, would actually help them to make less sound decisions. 

College basketball has survived.  Its greed pure and simple. The NCAA and colleges could come up with a way but don't want to...

Edited by slickgadawg

3 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

This is my biggest issue with the whole deal.  I always tell my kids, if you commit to do ballet, play a sport or participate in any type of team function, you will finish out the year.  There is no bailing or quitting until the year is finished with the team.  After all the games, etc. is done we can discuss what you want to do next, but once you commit for the season, you always finish it out.

sdogg and datboilando like this

1 minute ago, richham said:

This is my biggest issue with the whole deal.  I always tell my kids, if you commit to do ballet, play a sport or participate in any type of team function, you will finish out the year.  There is no bailing or quitting until the year is finished with the team.  After all the games, etc. is done we can discuss what you want to do next, but once you commit for the season, you always finish it out.

Yep, but instead we have too many folks packing it in at the first bump in the road.

Edited by Turkeydawg
sdogg likes this

I do buy into the need to have the QBs, but we might need to be more careful. Hopefully for 2019, we can pull Gabriel and Plumlee. It won't be a comfy situation because of Gabriel not being one of Georgia's typical 4-5 star guys, but at least it's depth and I like Plumlee, if he doesn't go baseball he's also a dual threat QB that dramatically improved his senior year.

It's probably too late for this cycle but for future situations, if we have an entrenched 4-5 star, I think I'd target guys with upside like the Plumlee's and JUCO guys, and not the Fields'. I don't think you need 4 scholly QBs, but I'd prefer 3.

Edited by VoiceofReason95

2 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

College basketball has survived.  Its greed pure and simple. The NCAA and colleges could come up with a way but don't want to...

not sure what you mean.. you can't transfer to a new college basketball team and not sit out.. that 1 year sitting out and not being on scholarship is also in basketball. 

6 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

We truly don't know what happened. It is very possible that Kirby just screwed up and may be regretting that he didn't do things differently. Or, maybe there is more to the story than any of us know. If Fields made this comment after the 2nd game of the season and it was truly said out of frustration, then imagine what he may have said during practice, film study, weight room and in the classroom. 

I just hate seeing Kirby bring made the complete bad guy in all of this and by no means am I saying Fields should be the complete bad guy. We don't know for sure what happened. 

27 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

He deserved more time, but as a true freshman, if you can't handle the fact that you didn't get more snaps, then you have a lot of growing up to do.  The fact that he was so bitter after the 2nd game says a lot to me.

I took that as an off handed comment or joke he made with a teammate. It's easy to read into something after all that has been said but it was game 2. If that was after LSU or later in the season I'd probably see it that way but we don't know what he said at that point in the season. We all say stuff like that behind the scenes. 

Whatever the outcome, both UGA and Fields look bad so I just hope we resolve the issue and move on as soon as possible regardless of what happens. 

1 minute ago, richham said:

I think the plan was play in the Sugar, but the transfer talk got leaked. So did plan on finishing the season

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, UAB_DAWG said:

I took that as an off handed comment or joke he made with a teammate. It's easy to read into something after all that has been said but it was game 2. If that was after LSU or later in the season I'd probably see it that way but we don't know what he said at that point in the season. We all say stuff like that behind the scenes. 

Whatever the outcome, both UGA and Fields look bad so I just hope we resolve the issue and move on as soon as possible regardless of what happens. 

Everyone else is smiling and happy as can be, and just looks bitter.

Just now, VoiceofReason95 said:

I do buy into the need to have the QBs, but we might need to be more careful. Hopefully for 2019, we can pull Gabriel and Plumlee. It won't be a comfy situation because of Gabriel not being one of Georgia's typical 4-5 star guys, but at least it's depth and I like Plumlee, if he doesn't go baseball he's also a dual threat QB that dramatically improved his senior year.

It's probably too late for this cycle but for future situations, if we have an entrenched 4-5 star, I think I'd target guys with upside and JUCO guys, and not the Fields'. I don't think you need 4 scholly QBs, but I'd prefer 3.

i believe you need 4 scholarship qbs especially for camp.. i am surprised we don't have issues with guys having a dead arm toward the end of the year.  UGA fans are upset of course regarding field's possible transfer, but this is pretty standard for schools like bama and clemson.. when you recruit at a high level of qb you will have guys leave.  the only difference is dabo and saban have been at their schools long and have done a better job getting a few next tier guys to step in at least for depth..  regarding plumlee he will probably next step on campus, he is that good with baseball..  i still hope we get 2 x 3 star kids this cycle at qb. 

4 minutes ago, richham said:

3 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Yep, but instead we have too many folks packing it in at the first bump in the road.

I get this angle, I do. But can we leave the toughness/bravado out of this? 

These situations aren't similar.... At all. 

Justin, or anyone else, isn't a 5 year old kid who doesn't wanna go to practice... 

They're world class athletes who have goals of making $100 million....Its a business, not Rec soccer.