Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wartownfalcon

Justin Fields to transfer

1,728 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, Ransack said:

I had three family members at Harrison (two on the football team) and I have a family member on UGA's team so you tell me if you have better sources. I'm not calling the kid a thug or a cancer but he has entitlement issues and helicopter parent(s).

Noooooo...... :rolleyes:

thing is entitlement issues can be cancerous.. 

Edited by TheTrue7

2 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Noooooo...... :rolleyes:

thing is entitlement issues can be cancerous.. 

They can be but he's transferring so it's over IMO.

Fields ducked out of talking to any media after the game. He was out of the locker room before media was allowed in and they were told he was already on the team bus.

9 minutes ago, Ransack said:

They can be but he's transferring so it's over IMO.

Pretty sure that what the tweet “all lies” was about from Pablo.. felt as if they were wronged.. which explains the timing of the transfer decision.. 

but I’d hold judgment on whether it’s actually all over just yet.. 

4 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Pretty sure that what the tweet “all lies” was about from Pablo.. felt as if they were wronged.. which explains the timing of the transfer decision.. 

but I’d hold judgment on whether it’s actually all over just yet.. 

I'm sure they are frustrated. Kirby and Chaney didn't have a plan and it showed. But they knew coming in there was an established starter and that there was no guarantee of any playing time. The whole thing is ****** and it's probably best for everyone to head their separate ways

Just now, Ransack said:

I'm sure they are frustrated. Kirby and Chaney didn't have a plan and it showed. But they knew coming in there was an established starter and that there was no guarantee of any playing time. The whole thing is ****** and it's probably best for everyone to head their separate ways

See.. I think there was a plan.. of course he wasn’t going to just take the job.. he had to earn it.. and maybe he did well in practice but his attitude needed adjusting.. I’ve seen some quality athletes with that sense of entitlement clash with quality coaches firsthand.. sometimes you just need to shut up and keep plugging away..

sdogg and m2Falcons like this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, TheTrue7 said:

See.. I think there was a plan.. of course he wasn’t going to just take the job.. he had to earn it.. and maybe he did well in practice but his attitude needed adjusting.. I’ve seen some quality athletes with that sense of entitlement clash with quality coaches firsthand.. sometimes you just need to shut up and keep plugging away..

I doubt he had entitlement, but there are multiple times this season you could have put him on the field to see what we have. It's neither here nor there now, but that's not going to help going forward at least in the short term. Recruits are watching this play out I'm talking about future recruits and even football coaches at HS across Georgia.

Edited by Zone#7

7 minutes ago, Zone#7 said:

I doubt he had entitlement, but there are multiple times this season you could have put him on the field to see what we have. It's neither here nor there now, but that's not going to help going forward at least in the short term. Recruits are watching this play out I'm talking about future recruits and even football coaches at HS across Georgia.

If you think this is going to hurt our recruiting efforts, because ONE player, who might have been a bit entitled, didn't play as much as they thought they should,  then you are mistaken.  Talent doesn't mean squat if you aren't prepared and Fields wasn't far enough along in terms of reading defenses and having a good enough grasp of the offense.  We will be fine.

SacFalcFan and sdogg like this

“Entitlement” is a loaded word.  Basically means you believe you should get something for free and/or not having to work for it.

There is no proof that Fields didn’t deserve more than what he got from Chaney/Kirby.  It’s quite clear that there was no plan for Fields - it can both be true that the kid and parent didn’t handle everything the right way AND the coaches were ill-prepared to handle two QBs and initiate Fields as well.   

The truth is likely somewhere in the middle - QB is the most unique position and Fields was/is one of the higher ranked QBs to come out in last 5-10yrs.  

Fields definitely deserved better than what he got from Chaney and Kirby with playing time and a plan for him.   He basically got one game (UMASS) to really show his wares - and he did!   There were just too many blowout games for Fields not to get more signicant time.

For all the gripes about Chaney with regards to Sugar Bowl and game planning,  to think he had no role in Fields’ frustration is naive.

As to Fields’ personally, I don’t know him but have ran into him a few times and exchanged hellos and my 11yr old son is friends with a kid that lives directly across street from Pablo and family and they know him well, etc and we speak of him often.  Also specifically quizzed Harrison OL (friends of my 17yr old son who is Harrison student) who will get football scholarship this year - about Fields and tried to see if he had desire to throw Fields under bus as a bad teammate or guy and he didn’t take the bait - wasn’t a good friend of his either.  Said he was good teammate and worked hard - great talent. From my personal interactions I can say Fields is kind of quiet in social situations and adults and public speaking.   Think he connects well with other players - so he is probably never gonna be one of those perfect “face of the franchise” kind of guys.

Kirby is stacking talent and their were mistakes made on his handling of it all as well - he’s a 3rd year HC and it’s easy to forget he is still learning because he’s had so much success.

Really sad it didn’t work out for Justin at Georgia - he will be successful wherever he goes, hopefully he can become more well rounded and handle adversity.   The situation was tough from the get-go but I don’t see how anyone objective could look at it and blame Justin for leaving - he’s too talented to be a 3-year clipboard holder and Chaney’s handling wouldn’t instill confidence.   Fields probably earned a good bit more playing time than what he got. Now Fields can go somewhere and learn on the job like Fromm was afforded when Eason went down.

53 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

If you think this is going to hurt our recruiting efforts, because ONE player, who might have been a bit entitled, didn't play as much as they thought they should,  then you are mistaken.  Talent doesn't mean squat if you aren't prepared and Fields wasn't far enough along in terms of reading defenses and having a good enough grasp of the offense.  We will be fine.

We are beginning to argue in circles and cover same ground.

Chaney coaches “tight” and he likely handled QB rotation same way.   Fields was likely ready for much more than he was given - if I had more trust in Chaney then maybe I would have more confidence in QB rotation decision and lack of opportunities and playbook for Fields.   There was much debate about Chaney’s ability to handle a dual threat QB before the ink was dry on Fields LOI last December.   Chaney did nothing to squelch that POV - one year later.

2 hours ago, Zone#7 said:

Body language wreaked of entitlement.. what was said after the game about “did you see that handoff” wreaked of entitlement.. notice that he was saying that to other players.. that creates dissension.. creates separation instead of unity.. 

i don’t question his athleticism.. I question his ethics.. 

23 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Body language wreaked of entitlement.. what was said after the game about “did you see that handoff” wreaked of entitlement.. notice that he was saying that to other players.. that creates dissension.. creates separation instead of unity.. 

i don’t question his athleticism.. I question his ethics.. 

Exactly!!

m2Falcons likes this

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Really sad it didn’t work out for Justin at Georgia - he will be successful wherever he goes, hopefully he can become more well rounded and handle adversity.   The situation was tough from the get-go but I don’t see how anyone objective could look at it and blame Justin for leaving - he’s too talented to be a 3-year clipboard holder and Chaney’s handling wouldn’t instill confidence.   Fields probably earned a good bit more playing time than what he got. Now Fields can go somewhere and learn on the job like Fromm was afforded when Eason went down.

Really sad for who?  He was, and still is, being given the opportunity to stay, learn and compete.  If he decides that leaving is in his best interest, then that's on him.  

He probably will move on and have a good career, but it won't, and shouldn't be given to him.  He will sit, redshirt, learn a new system and then compete with another talented QB, at his next destination.  There are no guarantees.

You said he should have been given more pt, what amount of playing time would have been enough for Justin, Pablo and yourself?

sdogg likes this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

We are beginning to argue in circles and cover same ground.

Chaney coaches “tight” and he likely handled QB rotation same way.   Fields was likely ready for much more than he was given - if I had more trust in Chaney then maybe I would have more confidence in QB rotation decision and lack of opportunities and playbook for Fields.   There was much debate about Chaney’s ability to handle a dual threat QB before the ink was dry on Fields LOI last December.   Chaney did nothing to squelch that POV - one year later.

I firmly believe Fields is leaving not because of Fromm, but Chaney.  His offense is archaic.  6 yard dig routes and every single pass is outside the numbers.  We are a dominant run team.  Why can’t we use PA to exploit the seams with our mini-Gronk at TE.  We rarely throw over the middle.  Just no creativity...nothing exotic.  Bring Bobo back and see what happens.  Can UGA afford healthcare package for all Bobo’s Kids?  That’s the big question

Edited by Falconsin2012
Zone#7 likes this

Bobo wouldn’t come back... did he or is he getting fired? If so man that would be awesome great recruiter, great offensive mind, be an excellent qb coach

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

“Entitlement” is a loaded word.  Basically means you believe you should get something for free and/or not having to work for it.

There is no proof that Fields didn’t deserve more than what he got from Chaney/Kirby.  It’s quite clear that there was no plan for Fields - it can both be true that the kid and parent didn’t handle everything the right way AND the coaches were ill-prepared to handle two QBs and initiate Fields as well.   

The truth is likely somewhere in the middle - QB is the most unique position and Fields was/is one of the higher ranked QBs to come out in last 5-10yrs.  

Fields definitely deserved better than what he got from Chaney and Kirby with playing time and a plan for him.   He basically got one game (UMASS) to really show his wares - and he did!   There were just too many blowout games for Fields not to get more signicant time.

For all the gripes about Chaney with regards to Sugar Bowl and game planning,  to think he had no role in Fields’ frustration is naive.

As to Fields’ personally, I don’t know him but have ran into him a few times and exchanged hellos and my 11yr old son is friends with a kid that lives directly across street from Pablo and family and they know him well, etc and we speak of him often.  Also specifically quizzed Harrison OL (friends of my 17yr old son who is Harrison student) who will get football scholarship this year - about Fields and tried to see if he had desire to throw Fields under bus as a bad teammate or guy and he didn’t take the bait - wasn’t a good friend of his either.  Said he was good teammate and worked hard - great talent. From my personal interactions I can say Fields is kind of quiet in social situations and adults and public speaking.   Think he connects well with other players - so he is probably never gonna be one of those perfect “face of the franchise” kind of guys.

Kirby is stacking talent and their were mistakes made on his handling of it all as well - he’s a 3rd year HC and it’s easy to forget he is still learning because he’s had so much success.

Great points.

Here is my problem with the way they handled Fields.  

When the first half of the season  is full blowout wins, why the #&#)$*# don't you try to develop him as a QB instead of just bringing him in to hand off the football?!?!?  It wouldn't matter if he were a one-legged 2-star.  He's your BACKUP QB, one play away from being your #1 option.  

And earlier in the season there were a lot more than the nefarious "Fields camp" making this observation because its just COMMON SENSE.  I'm starting to believe that they fell victim to trying to avoid a QB controversy which media has been trying to manufacture since the moment Fields set foot on campus. 

g-dawg likes this

1 hour ago, Turkeydawg said:

Really sad for who?  He was, and still is, being given the opportunity to stay, learn and compete.  If he decides that leaving is in his best interest, then that's on him.  

He probably will move on and have a good career, but it won't, and shouldn't be given to him.  He will sit, redshirt, learn a new system and then compete with another talented QB, at his next destination.  There are no guarantees.

You said he should have been given more pt, what amount of playing time would have been enough for Justin, Pablo and yourself?

If he decides to leave “that’s on him”.  WELL DUH

No one, including myself has ever said anything should “be given to him”.  THAT’s YOU, BROTHER 

“There are no guarantees” - another WELL DUH

”What amount of PT would be enough?”    WHO KNOWS?  MAYBE THERE WAS NOTHING SHORT OF STARTING - but all you have to do is look at the time he did get in.  Outside of the dumb fake punt call by Kirby and maybe the AU goal line call, his play all year long was a net plus and stats bare it out.  Maybe nothing short of starting job would have satisfied him but we will never know - what I can tell you is the way that Justin was used was terrible and did neither him nor Fromm any good.  

This is all gonna play itself out over the next few years - Chaney playcalling with Justin in the game was predictable and limited.  Once opposing defenses saw after 1-2 games what Chaney was doing with Fields, it made the defensive calls easier.

I would have loved to have seen a more coherent plan for Fields in the offense - then - if we used him well and he left, then so be it.   My guess would be that if Fields felt like he was being developed to challenge for starter in 2019, he might have stayed.  I do think Justin might have earned and/or been promised more than what he got - speculation on my part to be sure.   I have NO DOUBT that Justin’s has blame in this divorce - I just part company with your belief that this is “all on Justin” or “90% Justin’s fault”.   Kirby/Chaney botched this “two QB” juggling act and then Justin probably got a negative attitude and it probably crescendo’d from there.   LSU/UF games probably was the tipping point.

I am way over it at this point and am all in on all Dawgs that are still Dawgs - what’s done is done.  I do believe 3 years from now there will be a lot of regret but hopefully Dawgs can find someone good for 2020 class.

18 minutes ago, frankly88 said:

Great points.

Here is my problem with the way they handled Fields.  

When the first half of the season  is full blowout wins, why the #&#)$*# don't you try to develop him as a QB instead of just bringing him in to hand off the football?!?!?  It wouldn't matter if he were a one-legged 2-star.  He's your BACKUP QB, one play away from being your #1 option.  

And earlier in the season there were a lot more than the nefarious "Fields camp" making this observation because its just COMMON SENSE.  I'm starting to believe that they fell victim to trying to avoid a QB controversy which media has been trying to manufacture since the moment Fields set foot on campus. 

That’s exactly what I believe happened.   Rather than play Justin sensibly and more in blowout losses and more playbook - I believe Kirby/Chaney might have put their thumb on the scale with less time and predictable “role” to avoid some type of QB controversy should Justin come in and WOW early.  Not saying Justin should start - just that they didn’t want to give fuel to anything that could stir it up for 2019.

Again, this is opinion and we will never know the whole unbiased story.

6 minutes ago, sdogg said:

It appears the USC may have been the tipping point. 

What?   

First, that was some tv footage on cutting room floor until the transfer news broke,right?

Gdawg, who is going to have regret, and why?  None of us are running him out of town, we all wish he would stay.

If Fields is leaving because he couldn't beat out Fromm, which from what I was told, was the very reason he checked himself into the portal, then another 10 snaps a game wasn't going to convince him to stay anyhow.  

sdogg likes this

30 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

That’s exactly what I believe happened.   Rather than play Justin sensibly and more in blowout losses and more playbook - I believe Kirby/Chaney might have put their thumb on the scale with less time and predictable “role” to avoid some type of QB controversy should Justin come in and WOW early.  Not saying Justin should start - just that they didn’t want to give fuel to anything that could stir it up for 2019.

Again, this is opinion and we will never know the whole unbiased story.

So your theory is rather than letting Fields have a fair shot to prove he’s the better qb and make this team better by overtaking Fromm, the coaches chose to limit this teams success by handcuffing Fields? All for the sake of avoiding a controversy? If that’s the case, why recruit him inthe first place?

sdogg likes this

Posted (edited)

Still think Kirby called the Fields fake punt in a last ditch attempt to keep him on campus.  If it works, he is the hero who brought down Bama, making it much harder to dip out at seasons end.  

Edited by Falconsin2012

29 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

So your theory is rather than letting Fields have a fair shot to prove he’s the better qb and make this team better by overtaking Fromm, the coaches chose to limit this teams success by handcuffing Fields? All for the sake of avoiding a controversy? If that’s the case, why recruit him inthe first place?

I am saying there is no rational explanation for how Fields was handled this year in the spots he was used, when he could have been used and wasn’t and the overall handling of the QBs as a whole - usually coach speak to media is not straight talk but when Kirby said “There is No Plan” when discussing the QBs - it rings somewhat true.     I dunno, it’s an enigma wrapped in a mystery.  Bizarre all the way around.