Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wartownfalcon

Justin Fields to transfer

1,649 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Read this elsewhere.

At Rose Bowl media day on Sunday, Ohio State's redshirt freshman quarterback was asked for his opinion on the chances that he will be OSU's starting QB in 2019 if Dwayne Haskins turns pro as expected. "I'll go 100 percent sure on that," Martell said. "It will be me."

Martell is well aware of the rumors that Georgia true freshman quarterback Justin Fields is considering transferring to Ohio State. If that transpires, what will Martell's mindset be? To stay and battle for the job? “I’m just going to tell you right now, if anybody comes in, it’s going to take them over a year to learn the offense, in terms of to be where you need to be to go in and take over the offense and perform at a high level," Martell told Bucknuts. “So, just from that aspect, if someone is going to come in and think they are just going to walk in and start, it’s probably not going to happen, just because of having to learn the offense. Because our offense that coach (Ryan) Day has set for us, it’s an NFL-type of offense and it’s difficult to learn. So, it’s takes people awhile to get it down

Martell :lol:

26 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

If Fields is the cancer you and others have made him out to be, then he’s out the door yesterday.

Go find where I said he's a cancer. I'll wait. 

What I DID say is that if he chooses to transfer then he's "mentally soft, entitled, egotistical, a quitter." BTW, has he transferred yet? Or announced a final decision? It's all hypothetical until something actually happens. He could still prove to not be those things if he ends up making the right decision. 

And none of that means he's a team cancer. It means he's unlikely to ever reach his individual physical potential, because when the going gets tough...well, you know how the old saying goes.  

32 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Go find where I said he's a cancer. I'll wait. 

What I DID say is that if he chooses to transfer then he's "mentally soft, entitled, egotistical, a quitter." BTW, has he transferred yet? Or announced a final decision? It's all hypothetical until something actually happens. He could still prove to not be those things if he ends up making the right decision. 

And none of that means he's a team cancer. It means he's unlikely to ever reach his individual physical potential, because when the going gets tough...well, you know how the old saying goes.  

Your homerism clouds your judgement.   According to your stated standards,  all transfer QBs would be mentally soft.   QB is the most unique position in all of college football - these kids that want to play NFL only have a short period to show what they can do in college.   DJ Shockley was a DGD but there is no question in my mind he could have been more in college and maybe NFL had he had more experience as a starter in college. Eason and Fields will both have a better opportunity to be the best they can be as a starter.

You seem to think that a competitor can only be valid and mentally tough if he stays where he is and battles for starting spot. I don’t believe there is “one way”.

The ultimate objective test to me is the “father test”.  If you were Justin Fields father, what would you tell your son?   Also, it was widely reported had Tua not played in Natty last year, that his intention was also to transfer.

Fromm is a dayum good QB and beat out Fields- but he had a HUGE advantage as well with a full year of starting experience and CFP experience - obviously Fields was incredibly naive to believe he could easily beat out Fromm - and maybe how quickly he, himself would pickup the offense.

None of the above makes him mentally soft.    A competitor wants to be on the field - wants the ball in his hand when the game is on the line.   Your criticism is unwarranted.

30 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Your homerism clouds your judgement.  (Hold up that mirror regarding your love for Fields bro)

According to your stated standards,  all transfer QBs would be mentally soft.  (Nope, your words not mine. I'm being specific to this situation) 

QB is the most unique position in all of college football - these kids that want to play NFL only have a short period to show what they can do in college.   DJ Shockley was a DGD but there is no question in my mind he could have been more in college and maybe NFL had he had more experience as a starter in college. Eason and Fields will both have a better opportunity to be the best they can be as a starter. 

(Debatable. Also, you seem to be under the delusion that game reps are the only experience players get in college. I guarantee you they take far more reps on practice than in the games. While game reps are important and are added reps, it's not like a guy sits on the bench and never progresses if he's not getting 100% of the reps in the games)

You seem to think that a competitor can only be valid and mentally tough if he stays where he is and battles for starting spot. I don’t believe there is “one way”. (Again, you're generalizing and I'm speaking of this specific situation)

The ultimate objective test to me is the “father test”.  If you were Justin Fields father, what would you tell your son?  (To stick it out, honor his commitment and earn what he gets. Right now he's one injury away from being the man; and if he's as good as he thinks he is then it's not the craziest thing to think he could actually beat out Fromm next year. And even if he doesn't, he's only got to wait one more year for Fromm to go pro, all while he's still going to be getting reps in games just like this year but probably getting to run more of the playbook now that he knows it. Of course, if he was blatantly lied to about something, that's the only legitimate reason he should be considering transferring. But if he was lied to, I highly doubt he'd be wanting to stick around for the bowl game or still be debating the decision as is reported. He'd be gone as fast as possible.) 

Also, it was widely reported had Tua not played in Natty last year, that his intention was also to transfer. (A different situation. He was behind Hurts, who he is clearly superior to and an actual passing threat unlike Hurts was in 2017; he also was regularly reported to be performing better than Hurts in practices so he had a legitimate gripe, which obviously worked itself out in the only competitive game they played last year. But Fields is behind Fromm who is clearly the more knowledgeable and superior player at this point. It's a totally different scenario, so the Tua situation doesn't strengthen your argument.)

Fromm is a dayum good QB and beat out Fields- but he had a HUGE advantage as well with a full year of starting experience and CFP experience - obviously Fields was incredibly naive to believe he could easily beat out Fromm - and maybe how quickly he, himself would pickup the offense. (This we actually agree on. And this is the other thing: you might not like Martell or believe he's a better player than Fields, but he makes a good point. Wherever Fields transfers he's going to have to spend time learning the offense there; anyone that is ahead of him in that process is going to make it difficult for Fields to win the job unless he is drastically more talented than the other player. And that's assuming his waiver is granted: which while likely, still isn't a guarantee.)

None of the above makes him mentally soft.   (Agree to disagree, because this is one I'm not budging on without some serious evidence to the contrary: such as he was lied to or it comes out that he was head and shoulders above Fromm in most practices -- which from all reports was NOT the case. Otherwise, he's taking his ball and going home because he's not the big boy in the sandbox anymore)

A competitor wants to be on the field - wants the ball in his hand when the game is on the line.  (None of these players would be competing for snaps at a top football school if they weren't; not only just Fields. Should everyone get to transfer after their disappointing freshman seasons now?)

Your criticism is unwarranted. (I feel the same about your blind devotion to him)  :shrug:

At the end of the day it's going to work out however it's going to work out and we'll both still be Dawg fans in the end. My focus is on what's best for UGA. And you?

Edited by RandomFan

He may not have been a leader in the field or even proven anything of the sort thus far, but kids follow him, I do think that for a Georgia fan wo any side interest in fields would see he probably is a cancer at this point, maybe most of the the year given the issues with the younger crowd as mentioned.. like him or not he’s still a kid and doubt he was Mr perfect whatever’s best for the team w teammates - looking fwd to him being gone think it’s best sooner than later. And do hope he doesn’t see the field against Tx 

The speculation over Justin Fields transferring to Ohio State continues to stir things up among the Buckeyes.

Ohio State backup quarterback Tate Martell has apparently issued yet another public warning to Fields. Of course, Fields is the UGA freshman quarterback who has informed the Bulldogs that he is exploring his transfer options.

Martell is the No. 2 QB at Ohio State behind Dwayne Haskins, a junior who is considering leaving early for the NFL draft. Last week, Martell made headlines when he appeared to direct a tweet at Fields that said, “Words of advice — don’t swing and miss … especially not your second time.”

On Sunday, Martell marked his territory again when he was interviewed by reporters. He was asked if he would consider leaving the Buckeyes if a big-time transfer came in. “Why would I leave for someone who hasn’t put a single second into this program yet? I’ve put two years of working my *** off for something that I’ve been waiting for and dreaming of having my whole life.”

The super-confident Martell was also asked who was going to be the next starting quarterback at Ohio State.

“I will,” Martell replied, per Lettermen Row’s Austin Ward.

Level of confidence? “I’m 100-percent sure on that,” Martell declared.

On a related note, Haskins also confirmed to reporters Fields has reached out to him for questions about Ohio State.

Back to UGA: Coach Kirby Smart has stated that he would like for Fields to remain with the Bulldogs. The story has died down at UGA over the last week, but will likely pick up again immediately after Tuesday night’s Sugar Bowl.

54 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

At the end of the day it's going to work out however it's going to work out and we'll both still be Dawg fans in the end. My focus is on what's best for UGA. And you?

Kirby Smart will do what is best for Georgia - doesn’t matter what “your focus” is because you (nor I) count.

I want the Dawgs to flourish, win multiple Nattys and become a football dynasty.

I want Justin to squeeze every bit of his potential out of his skill set as a football player and be the best QB he can be - would prefer it be at Georgia- but if not here, where ever it will be.   I will root for him wherever that may be - except in a situation where his new team would be playing our beloved Dawgs.

frankly88 and Macknsweetjones like this

On 12/28/2018 at 6:07 PM, Dawgfanbrock said:

I’m at the “who cares” point just hope they don’t give him any snaps in the bowl game, further than that don’t care, be gone. 

I think we're all tired of it. The "possible" transfer news coming out just 2 days before ESD, entry into the transfer portal to "explore" his options, contact with players at other schools, etc... yet, he's still on the team and could play in the Sugar Bowl. At least Kelly Bryant had the balls to just get up and leave once he knew he didn't want to be there.

SacFalcFan likes this

8 hours ago, LawDawg said:

I think we're all tired of it. The "possible" transfer news coming out just 2 days before ESD, entry into the transfer portal to "explore" his options, contact with players at other schools, etc... yet, he's still on the team and could play in the Sugar Bowl. At least Kelly Bryant had the balls to just get up and leave once he knew he didn't want to be there.

Well in fairness to that comparison, Kelly Bryant had just played in 4 games and would have no more eligibility remaining if he stuck around and played at all. He was also a senior that lost the job to a true freshman in a way that he felt was not right after taking the team to the playoffs. There was no scenario where sticking around was really an option for him like it is with Fields.

Fields is on the team, never won the job from the starter who is a class ahead of him, he has 3 more years of eligibility and is probably trying to figure out if he wants to stay in a system he is a year deep into learning vs transferring somewhere new to learn a whole new system. He has not transferred nor burned any bridge yet.

I expect we will know for sure soon after the Sugar Bowl. Kirby wants him to stay but has to plan as if he won’t. We’ll see how it ends up.

Porter Osborne Jr and g-dawg like this

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

Lacrosse?

Possibly.   The problem with Fields is he doesn't have the experience that a lot of other kids do coming from high school.  He started at his HS as a jr and sr, where most of these kids were starting as true freshmen, including Trevor Lawrence.  I would think Fields would now understand that he can't just show up and expect to be the starter.  He has to work and learn.  I wish he would do so in Athens, but I think he is looking for a quicker path to being a starter, I'm just not sure it's OSU, either.

Just now, Turkeydawg said:

Possibly.   The problem with Fields is he doesn't have the experience that a lot of other kids do coming from high school.  He started at his HS as a jr and sr, where most of these kids were starting as true freshmen, including Trevor Lawrence.  I would think Fields would now understand that he can't just show up and expect to be the starter.  He has to work and learn.  I wish he would do so in Athens, but I think he is looking for a quicker path to being a starter, I'm just not sure it's OSU, either.

Jake Fromm is 100x better than Martell.   If Fields goes to Ohio State and Haskins leaves, Justin will be the starter- you can take that to the bank.

Just now, g-dawg said:

Jake Fromm is 100x better than Martell.   If Fields goes to Ohio State and Haskins leaves, Justin will be the starter- you can take that to the bank.

It seems that you've changed your tune on how good Fromm is, since Fields couldn't beat him out and has been looking to transfer.  Fields has to learn how to read a defense before he can start at a school like OSU. He also has to learn a new offense, which I doubt he will be able to do overnight.

And what makes you think Fields won't have to sit a year?

It seems that you've changed your tune on how good Fromm is, since Fields couldn't beat him out and has been looking to transfer.  Fields has to learn how to read a defense before he can start at a school like OSU. He also has to learn a new offense, which I doubt he will be able to do overnight.

And what makes you think Fields won't have to sit a year?

Fields is more talented than Fromm but just doesn’t have the mastery of the offense nor the confidence of the coaches as much as Fromm.   I do think Fields has a lot to learn moving up from HS to College but his progression is slower getting backup reps in practice and very limited game experience.  If Fromm and Fields started at the same time, it would have been a much closer call.

Fromm is really good but he was probably on the verge of losing his job after LSU - one more clunker and he might have been out - very uneven performances those first half dozen games.

I am satisfied with Fromm as UGA QB but he still needs to figure out how to close out Bama - he played great in both those games but wasn’t blameless in both losses and slumped in 2nd halves.

Fields needs playing time and Kirby & Chaney just don’t seem willing to put Fields on the gridiron enough - so I believe the divorce is necessary.

Every situation is somewhat different.  It sucks that maybe 3 out of top 4 QBs to ever come out of state of Georgia did so in back/back years.   Just unfortunate.  

I don’t really blame Fields/Kirby nor Chaney too much - it’s just a sucky set of circumstances with Fromm/Fields only being a year apart and that the redshirt was never really considered - that plus a real “there is no plan” strategy by the coaching staff.   

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

Fields is more talented than Fromm but just doesn’t have the mastery of the offense nor the confidence of the coaches as much as Fromm.   I do think Fields has a lot to learn moving up from HS to College but his progression is slower getting backup reps in practice and very limited game experience.  If Fromm and Fields started at the same time, it would have been a much closer call.

Fromm is really good but he was probably on the verge of losing his job after LSU - one more clunker and he might have been out - very uneven performances those first half dozen games.

I am satisfied with Fromm as UGA QB but he still needs to figure out how to close out Bama - he played great in both those games but wasn’t blameless in both losses and slumped in 2nd halves.

Fields needs playing time and Kirby & Chaney just don’t seem willing to put Fields on the gridiron enough - so I believe the divorce is necessary.

Every situation is somewhat different.  It sucks that maybe 3 out of top 4 QBs to ever come out of state of Georgia did so in back/back years.   Just unfortunate.  

I don’t really blame Fields/Kirby nor Chaney too much - it’s just a sucky set of circumstances with Fromm/Fields only being a year apart and that the redshirt was never really considered - that plus a real “there is no plan” strategy by the coaching staff.   

You are crazy if you think Fromm was on the verge of losing his job after the LSU game.  Absolutely, bat**** crazy!

21 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Trevor Lawrence was battling Kelly Bryant - an outgoing slumping Senior.  Fields would have best out Bryant as well.

Just now, g-dawg said:

Trevor Lawrence was battling Kelly Bryant - an outgoing slumping Senior.  Fields would have best out Bryant as well.

And you know this how?  If you can't read a defense at UGA, being at Clemson won't be any different.  Trevor Lawrence beat out Bryant because Lawrence COULD read defenses.  Lawrence was also a 4 year starter in high school, compared to Fields, who only started for 2 years.  

1 minute ago, Turkeydawg said:

You are crazy if you think Fromm was on the verge of losing his job after the LSU game.  Absolutely, bat**** crazy!

Didn’t mean losing his job as much as Fields was gonna get a much increased role - and by some of those “insider” reports, if you believe them, that was bandied about and seriously considered.   The season was in the balance after the flat LSU loss with Florida, AU, UK left.   It’s easy to sit back now and act like the Dawgs weren’t in a different place then than we are now.

1 minute ago, Turkeydawg said:

And you know this how?  If you can't read a defense at UGA, being at Clemson won't be any different.  Trevor Lawrence beat out Bryant because Lawrence COULD read defenses.  Lawrence was also a 4 year starter in high school, compared to Fields, who only started for 2 years.  

I know sooo much more about Justin Fields than you.

Just now, g-dawg said:

I know sooo much more about Justin Fields than you.

I know all I need to know, he can't read a defense at the college level yet.  I don't give a **** what he could do against a bunch kids who couldn't sniff an offer from Wofford.

I know all I need to know, he can't read a defense at the college level yet.  I don't give a **** what he could do against a bunch kids who couldn't sniff an offer from Wofford.

You know nothing.  #clueless