Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wartownfalcon

Justin Fields to transfer

1,728 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Carter said:

Yeah that’s kinda what I was getting at. Reid put Mahomes in a position to be as successful as he has been. I don’t mean to take anything away from Mahomes for it. It’s just rare to get a QB-coach pairing that really flourishes like that long term. Brady wouldn’t be Brady without Belichick. It could work out beautifully. 

It was inevitable that we’d start seeing spread offense show up more in the NFL. College football just isn’t producing many high quality NFL caliber QBs anymore.

Remains to be seen how long it lasts. The way the rules are now greatly benefits offenses, so there is less risk these days with going wide open even though dual threat QBs will always be more at risk for injury. Defenses tend to adjust but idk with these rules now. Dudes get called for 15 yard penalties on regular *** sacks.

Heck yeah it's so obvious the league wants to go offense heavy. That Grady penalty was atrocious smh

Carter and g-dawg like this

Was with someone on Christmas Eve who is at all practices and I asked him about the Fields situation.  He said Fields is a talented player and made some great plays in practice, but that he wasn't consistent enough day in and out, to beat out Fromm.  I was told that when it came to knowledge of the offense, reads etc., it wasn't close.  He said Fromm has total command of the offense and his leadership was never questioned.  Nothing earth shattering, I know, but he said that Fields thought he would come in and take Fromm's job in year 1.  When he realized he couldn't, he began to explore the option of transferring. 

14 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Was with someone on Christmas Eve who is at all practices and I asked him about the Fields situation.  He said Fields is a talented player and made some great plays in practice, but that he wasn't consistent enough day in and out, to beat out Fromm.  I was told that when it came to knowledge of the offense, reads etc., it wasn't close.  He said Fromm has total command of the offense and his leadership was never questioned.  Nothing earth shattering, I know, but he said that Fields thought he would come in and take Fromm's job in year 1.  When he realized he couldn't, he began to explore the option of transferring. 

i heard the same thing from a number of guys i know who are at most of the practices.  basically word for word what you said.. i trust those guys opinions.  

Fromm's football IQ is tough to match for anyone. There might be guys that have better arms and more talent but theres not many that match his IQ. Anyone who couldn't realize that was the reason Fromm was playing is in denial. You need more than just a good arm to succeed at the highest level. 

8 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Fromm's football IQ is tough to match for anyone. There might be guys that have better arms and more talent but theres not many that match his IQ. Anyone who couldn't realize that was the reason Fromm was playing is in denial. You need more than just a good arm to succeed at the highest level. 

Yep and OC's and head coaches love that ****, they can use the complete playbook in every situation. He spreads the ball around beautifully.

As far as the Fields drama, LOL brother in law thinks Tech's new coach might make an inquiry, LOL as doubtful as I think that is, it would make for interesting talk, and rivalry game LOL.

On 12/26/2018 at 0:05 PM, Unkn0wn said:

agreed.. and fields couldn't even read the option correct this year..  time and time again he made the wrong play on a very simple read.  Fromm is the best QB on this team right now and gives us the best chance to win period.  I just hope he stays for 2 more years and doesn't leave early.  I mean how many qbs have thrown for over 300 yards against that Bama defense?  they average giving up 178 yards per game.   We are in great hands with Fromm and where ever Field's go (it clearly looks like tampering and ohio state is his destination) he will have to compete and not quit and take his ball and go home.  This smells like mitch mustain all over again. 

17 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

I mean how many qbs have thrown for over 300 yards against that Bama defense? 

Deshaun Watson threw for over 400 yards on Bama twice, along with seven touchdowns and one interception.

6 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

Deshaun Watson threw for over 400 yards on Bama twice, along with seven touchdowns and one interception.

yep prime example.. it's not done often..  300 yards and 3 touchdowns..  a pretty nice accomplishment against that bama defense..  watson is a heisman trophy finalist who did those stats during his sophomore and junior seasons.. i can't wait to see what Fromm does next year as a Junior.  

3 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

I still think Fields can be a great QB. He just isn't ready now. I dont blame Kirby or anyone for the situation. Fields just needs more coaching.

I do still blame Kirby to some degree. I can't help but wonder if Fields would have been kept more content if we'd have simply given him the entire playbook when we sent him in (or at least more passing attempts) instead of just handing off 9 times out of 10. To me that is the biggest legitimate complaint he has in his favor; and yeah I know most of us were critical of that during the season. It's clear as day Fromm was the guy that should have been starting; but it was a travesty how Kirby and Chaney mismanaged Fields' opportunities for growth in the limited amount of snaps he did get to take. 

That being said, if Fields ends up transferring because of it then he will prove to be a mentally soft, entitled, egotistical, quitter that doesn't belong in a championship program in the first place.  

41 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

We are in great hands with Fromm and where ever Field's go (it clearly looks like tampering and ohio state is his destination) he will have to compete and not quit and take his ball and go home.  This smells like mitch mustain all over again. 

I'm sure some of us around here remember Jeff George? Probably the most arm talent of any QB in the history of the game. But barely qualifies as even an average NFL QB because he lacked the personality, leadership, and intangibles it takes to play the position. 

95Dawg, SacFalcFan and putnam6 like this

33 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

yep prime example.. it's not done often..  300 yards and 3 touchdowns..  a pretty nice accomplishment against that bama defense..  watson is a heisman trophy finalist who did those stats during his sophomore and junior seasons.. i can't wait to see what Fromm does next year as a Junior.  

If we could’ve sustained the execution and play calling from the first half, Fromm probably would’ve put up 400 yards, too.

SacFalcFan and Turkeydawg like this

I'm sure some of us around here remember Jeff George? Probably the most arm talent of any QB in the history of the game. But barely qualifies as even an average NFL QB because he lacked the personality, leadership, and intangibles it takes to play the position. 

I saw him play in the Dome.......he wouldn't hang out with any of the other players....very stand offish it appeared. I heard he had this huge ego and arrogance. But that was here say, can't confirm nor deny it.

I still think Fields can be a great QB. He just isn't ready now. I dont blame Kirby or anyone for the situation. Fields just needs more coaching.

A great attitude and willingness to learn will take you further than just raw talent. Hopefully he is able to have both. I do not know him personally so I'm not going to say anything negative about him and his leadership, attitude or learning capability. But that's what it will take to be great.

putnam6 and g-dawg like this

3 hours ago, Billy Ocean said:

If we could’ve sustained the execution and play calling from the first half, Fromm probably would’ve put up 400 yards, too.

yep he would have.. the same goes for last year.. after that helmet interception our staff decided to change their approach offensively hoping the defense could win it and it couldn't.. we need to stop playing like we have a lead and just go for it.. that staff needs to learn it's lesson on that. 

3 hours ago, RandomFan said:

jeff george's physical talent was one of the best we have seen and yet he failed when he should be mentioned as one of the best qbs who have played this game.. there is a lot more to being a great qb than physical talent as you said. 

Like I said in the SECCG thread, the staff didn't exactly go conservative, they stayed balanced outside of poor field position situations (which for what it's worth, one case was easily preventable if Herrien would've just ran up and called fair catch, and that case likely costed a chance at running two minute drill as well). 

What really seems like it happened was the OL was out of gas. It's strange and you'd think it'd go the opposite way but for about 2 and a half quarters they were dictating how the game was going, and then after the missed FG they slowly started fatiguing, to the point where they weren't blocking 3 and 4 well at the end. 

Fromm was 18-23 for 235 and 3 TDs while the OL was still dominating (going just past the drive that ended in an unfortunate missed FG), then went 7-16 to end, with two balls tipped since the OL was starting to fatigue, with receivers running free on both, and other cases where pressure just barely didn't give him enough time to find guys. 

Edited by VoiceofReason95

45 minutes ago, Wardog357 said:

I saw him play in the Dome.......he wouldn't hang out with any of the other players....very stand offish it appeared. I heard he had this huge ego and arrogance. But that was here say, can't confirm nor deny it.

The person I spoke with the other day used the word cocky.

Wardog357 likes this

Like jeff based on arm talent

Jamarcus says hello

jamarcus-russell.jpg

Based on athletic talent

Vince says hello

young.1489070074.jpg

Edited by 95Dawg

27 minutes ago, VoiceofReason95 said:

Like I said in the SECCG thread, the staff didn't exactly go conservative, they stayed balanced outside of poor field position situations (which for what it's worth, one case was easily preventable if Herrien would've just ran up and called fair catch, and that case likely costed a chance at running two minute drill as well). 

What really seems like it happened was the OL was out of gas. It's strange and you'd think it'd go the opposite way but for about 2 and a half quarters they were dictating how the game was going, and then after the missed FG they slowly started fatiguing, to the point where they weren't blocking 3 and 4 well at the end. 

Fromm was 18-24 for 235 and 3 TDs while the OL was still dominating (including all of the drive that ended in an unfortunate missed FG), then went 7-15 to end, with two balls tipped since the OL was starting to fatigue, with receivers running free on both, and other cases where pressure just barely didn't give him enough time to find guys. 

that missed field goal shouldn't have had the affect on the game as it did.. that basically changed all of the momentum.  i have talked to guys who were on the field at the time and they felt the energy just went out of the UGA sideline while the Bama sideline which was dead to the world exploded..  you saw that on the field as well.  i thought in both situations (both bama games) our staff wasn't as aggressive as they could have been in the game.  when you do a stupid fake punt on 4th and 11, but you don't go for it on 4th and 1 and 4th and 3 i believe at midfield or in plus territory that says a lot.. you can't say we were aggressive on that stupid punt call, but then you were conservative on those other calls.. if you are going to be aggressive then you go for it on those shorter plays in plus territory.  

5 hours ago, RandomFan said:

I do still blame Kirby to some degree. I can't help but wonder if Fields would have been kept more content if we'd have simply given him the entire playbook when we sent him in (or at least more passing attempts) instead of just handing off 9 times out of 10. To me that is the biggest legitimate complaint he has in his favor; and yeah I know most of us were critical of that during the season. It's clear as day Fromm was the guy that should have been starting; but it was a travesty how Kirby and Chaney mismanaged Fields' opportunities for growth in the limited amount of snaps he did get to take. 

That being said, if Fields ends up transferring because of it then he will prove to be a mentally soft, entitled, egotistical, quitter that doesn't belong in a championship program in the first place.  

I agreed with a lot of this post, but why the last paragraph? Seems like he has good reason to leave. There is also a guy ahead that he will likely not beat. Success isn't guaranteed anywhere but barring injury he would have only one year at Georgia since I think a redshirt is unlikely. He should have never come to Georgia if they didn't have a plan to get him two years that he was on board with in case he didn't win job.

g-dawg likes this

32 minutes ago, GAbred said:

He should have never come to Georgia if they didn't have a plan to get him two years that he was on board with in case he didn't win job.

You can't predict how a player from HS is going to adapt to the college game, or how quickly they can pick up the offense/read defenses.  The more he learns, the more he would play.  If he transfers, he will have to sit out, learn a new offense and still have to compete to be the starter.   What would be wise for him to do, is to ask to redshirt next year in Athens, learn from Fromm, get a firm handle on the offense and then guarantee himself 2 years to run the offense as the starter. 

95Dawg likes this

2 hours ago, Turkeydawg said:

You can't predict how a player from HS is going to adapt to the college game, or how quickly they can pick up the offense/read defenses.  The more he learns, the more he would play.  If he transfers, he will have to sit out, learn a new offense and still have to compete to be the starter.   What would be wise for him to do, is to ask to redshirt next year in Athens, learn from Fromm, get a firm handle on the offense and then guarantee himself 2 years to run the offense as the starter. 

That's what I would want but I know a lot of that is for selfish reasons. Seems like a good kid and I think he'll be a good player somewhere. I haven't heard anyone question his work ethic so I see success in his future

g-dawg likes this

3 hours ago, GAbred said:

I agreed with a lot of this post, but why the last paragraph? Seems like he has good reason to leave. There is also a guy ahead that he will likely not beat. Success isn't guaranteed anywhere but barring injury he would have only one year at Georgia since I think a redshirt is unlikely. He should have never come to Georgia if they didn't have a plan to get him two years that he was on board with in case he didn't win job.

Agreed that was a split personality post with me also agreeing 100% with first paragraph and then Dr Jekyll turned into Mr Hyde.

The 5* QB transfer phenomenon is obviously a real thing now and we have many examples where it works and doesn’t work.  No one wanted Justin Fields to stay more than me - but it’s totally understandable why he would leave.  Just because some attorney might encourage his family to play the race card - all can see it for what it is - an excuse at a time when NCAA is granting waivers.

Of course Justin wants to play and him grumbling in front of a hot mike walking off the USCjr game is regrettable but probably happens all the time with many a program and backup that wants to run offense when game a blowout.

Just don’t get all the hostility and vitriol - let it go.  As to his college or NFL future?  It’s TBD - the kid is uber talented and is looking for an opportunity to learn on the job - Fromm wasn’t a finished product and was given opportunity to learn on the job due to injury - no QB steps on field given first opportunities as a finished product.

Fields obviously made a miscalculation believing he would just show up and beat Fromm out for job as a Freshman - personally, I thought he would gain as season went on and take it next year - which likely may not have happened with all we have now.

The kid is moving on.   Don’t believe he is personally trying to hurt UGA - he has a lot of friends on the team.  I know he was also very close to RB coach Dell McGee.

There is no doubt Fields needs to mature and handle things better moving forward- and he most likely  will.