Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wartownfalcon

Justin Fields to transfer

1,713 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Like I said it's traits. No college football program can turn someone into an NFL QB. Patrick Mahomes started at Texas Tech. What other QB is starting at QB that played at Texas Tech? Got to have the traits

I definitely agree on the traits but with the offense OSU runs all those QBs take from school with them are traits and hardware.

OSU isn't teaching guys how to read defenses, make audibles, progress through reads, throw option routes or anything of that nature. They are trying to make things as simple as possible for their guys because that's enough for a talented player to walk in and win. There's nothing wrong with that because it works. Fields just isn't going to go into the NFL more prepared than he is now by going to OSU. 

youngbloodz and m2Falcons like this

8 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

I definitely agree on the traits but with the offense OSU runs all those QBs take from school with them are traits and hardware.

OSU isn't teaching guys how to read defenses, make audibles, progress through reads, throw option routes or anything of that nature. They are trying to make things as simple as possible for their guys because that's enough for a talented player to walk in and win. There's nothing wrong with that because it works. Fields just isn't going to go into the NFL more prepared than he is now by going to OSU. 

It's the same with Oklahoma's offense. They have one progression reads and that's it. And Baker Mayfield is doing pretty good. But their WRs has struggled. Partly because they dont run the entire route tree. Now, maybe Lincoln Riley taught Baker how to read defense. A pro style offense does prepare guys better for the NFL compared to the spread. I do believe that

38 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Like I said it's traits. No college football program can turn someone into an NFL QB. Patrick Mahomes started at Texas Tech. What other QB is starting at QB that played at Texas Tech? Got to have the traits

Baker Mayfield 

1 hour ago, youngbloodz said:

Oh Carter I disagree about Ohio State brother. They can flat out get the QBs to the NFL. Now as far as getting them ready for it that has a lot to do with the player. If you don't have the traits to be an NFL QB you wont be. Doesn't matter if you go to Ohio State,UGA,Georgia Southern. The traits has to be there. 

Yup...  great history of QBs in NFL from Ohio State >>

2002 RD6 Steve Bellasari - Rams

2004 RD5 - Craig Kenzel - Bears

2007 RD5 -Troy Smith - Ravens

2012 RD3 Terrelle Pryor - Raiders

2015 RD4 Cardale Jones - Bills

2020   ?      Haskins

Georgia

2014 RD5 -  Aaron Murray - Chiefs (4 years in NFL)

2009 RD1 pick1 - Matthew Stafford - Lions

2006 RD7 - DJ Shockley - Falcons

2005 RD3 -  David Greene - Seahawks 

2001 - RD2 - Quincy Carter - Cowboys

2021     ?      Fromm

6 hours ago, Carter said:

Fields using the racial slur to apply for immediate eligibility is a nonstarter. His waiver will be dead on arrival. Beyond that, the NCAA will also be aware of setting a standard that getting your feelings hurt means you can play somewhere else immediately. So it’s not happening.

Ohio State is probably one of the worst options for him, especially if he wants to get to the NFL. They have an abysmal track record with NFL QBs and two QBs in his class year at this point. I honestly don’t think he has a better path to the NFL than staying right where he is and learning everything he can from Fromm.

Well, the waiver thing isn't coming straight from my mouth, I saw on another board that CFB writers were saying on a podcast they think they can get the waiver approved.

I don't know about it though as if they do it they've set a baaadddd precedent.

7 minutes ago, VoiceofReason95 said:

Well, the waiver thing isn't coming straight from my mouth, I saw on another board that CFB writers were saying on a podcast they think they can get the waiver approved.

I don't know about it though as if they do it they've set a baaadddd precedent.

If you can get a waiver for a racial epithet you never heard, from a baseball player that was let go- then we just need to do away with the one year wait all together.   When a rule has a truckload of exceptions, then it ceases to be a rule. 

95Dawg, Turkeydawg, Carter and 2 others like this

15 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

Has Chaney coached a future NFL quarterback since Drew Brees? 

Tyler Bray? But Chaney is the TE coach now so he won’t be developing any soon.

38 minutes ago, m2Falcons said:

Yup...  great history of QBs in NFL from Ohio State >>

2002 RD6 Steve Bellasari - Rams

2004 RD5 - Craig Kenzel - Bears

2007 RD5 -Troy Smith - Ravens

2012 RD3 Terrelle Pryor - Raiders

2015 RD4 Cardale Jones - Bills

2020   ?      Haskins

Georgia

2014 RD5 -  Aaron Murray - Chiefs (4 years in NFL)

2009 RD1 pick1 - Matthew Stafford - Lions

2006 RD7 - DJ Shockley - Falcons

2005 RD3 -  David Greene - Seahawks 

2001 - RD2 - Quincy Carter - Cowboys

2021     ?      Fromm

Lol I see Stafford and a bunch of bums and that goes for both schools. 

g-dawg likes this

24 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

If you can get a waiver for a racial epithet you never heard, from a baseball player that was let go- then we just need to do away with the one year wait all together.   When a rule has a truckload of exceptions, then it ceases to be a rule. 

I personally think they should waive the one year wait anyway. Coaches don't have to wait one year when they accept new jobs. I know the one year wait is only their to discourage transferring anyway.

25 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

I personally think they should waive the one year wait anyway. Coaches don't have to wait one year when they accept new jobs. I know the one year wait is only their to discourage transferring anyway.

If you do away with it altogether, super teams like Bama, Georgia, Ohio State and Clemson will come back to the pack somewhat

youngbloodz likes this

2 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

Oh Carter I disagree about Ohio State brother. They can flat out get the QBs to the NFL. Now as far as getting them ready for it that has a lot to do with the player. If you don't have the traits to be an NFL QB you wont be. Doesn't matter if you go to Ohio State,UGA,Georgia Southern. The traits has to be there. 

Yeah I should have been more specific with what I meant to say. Talking more about preparing him for the NFL. Ohio State can put any position in the league, they just have a long list of outstanding college QBs that did absolutely nothing in the NFL. Fields was emphatic about developing into a pro QB when he was being recruited, I think his long term goal is to be a top level NFL QB.

But I agree it’s traits too, probably more than anything else. Traits can be developed also, but only if you have it to work with. Fields has the physical traits all day long. It’s the mental side I’m not so sure about and I don’t think that part gets developed if he goes to OSU.

youngbloodz likes this

18 minutes ago, Carter said:

Yeah I should have been more specific with what I meant to say. Talking more about preparing him for the NFL. Ohio State can put any position in the league, they just have a long list of outstanding college QBs that did absolutely nothing in the NFL. Fields was emphatic about developing into a pro QB when he was being recruited, I think his long term goal is to be a top level NFL QB.

But I agree it’s traits too, probably more than anything else. Traits can be developed also, but only if you have it to work with. Fields has the physical traits all day long. It’s the mental side I’m not so sure about and I don’t think that part gets developed if he goes to OSU.

Oh yeah I can agree with that. The mental aspect is the toughest part as a QB. It will be interesting to see how it plays out

30 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

If you do away with it altogether, super teams like Bama, Georgia, Ohio State and Clemson will come back to the pack somewhat

That's true cause now why would a 5 star player wait to play when he could go somewhere and play immediately. It also would be open season and money would start flowing moreso than it already is

g-dawg likes this

Just now, youngbloodz said:

That's true cause now why would a 5 star player wait to play when he could go somewhere and play immediately. It also would be open season and money would start flowing moreso than it already is

Teams would have to be concerned about players moving to rivals schools and taking playbooks, calls and other info. I know that can already happen but removing basically any restrictions from transferring will only further those things. 

youngbloodz likes this

23 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

Teams would have to be concerned about players moving to rivals schools and taking playbooks, calls and other info. I know that can already happen but removing basically any restrictions from transferring will only further those things. 

I agree 100%. I just don't like how schools want to treat athletes like they are regular students but they don't have to follow the same rules are regular students. Well more NCAA 

2 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

Mahomes really fell into the perfect situation though and that’s a very underrated or maybe misunderstood part of the NFL imo. The traits are important, being prepared, but also playing in the right system. I don’t think Mahomes does what he has done so far on maybe any other team. Main reason I was excited to see if Aaron Murray could do anything as a pro was because he landed with Andy Reid. Stuck as the backup for several years but that’s about it. Reid is a very QB friendly coach, tends to get a lot out of them and change his offenses for what he has.

youngbloodz and 95Dawg like this

51 minutes ago, Carter said:

Mahomes really fell into the perfect situation though and that’s a very underrated or maybe misunderstood part of the NFL imo. The traits are important, being prepared, but also playing in the right system. I don’t think Mahomes does what he has done so far on maybe any other team. Main reason I was excited to see if Aaron Murray could do anything as a pro was because he landed with Andy Reid. Stuck as the backup for several years but that’s about it. Reid is a very QB friendly coach, tends to get a lot out of them and change his offenses for what he has.

He definitely got lucky. I believe Brady was lucky too to fall to NE. Luck definitely plays a part of success in college and NFL. Weather that's being put in the right situation or just staying healthy. I will be interested in seeing how the Chiefs and Reid do in the playoffs 

Carter likes this

1 hour ago, Carter said:

True but the system KC is running now has been adapted by Reid as well to suit Mahomes.  NFL is adapting as well with more spread concepts.

7 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

Lol I see Stafford and a bunch of bums and that goes for both schools. 

Stafford and a couple decent QBs in Murray and to lesser extent Greene and Shockley. UGA QBs drafted higher by one Round just about across the board. OSU has no one that did squat.

31 minutes ago, m2Falcons said:

Stafford and a couple decent QBs in Murray and to lesser extent Greene and Shockley. UGA QBs drafted higher by one Round just about across the board. OSU has no one that did squat.

Cool story bro

5 hours ago, g-dawg said:

True but the system KC is running now has been adapted by Reid as well to suit Mahomes.  NFL is adapting as well with more spread concepts.

Yeah that’s kinda what I was getting at. Reid put Mahomes in a position to be as successful as he has been. I don’t mean to take anything away from Mahomes for it. It’s just rare to get a QB-coach pairing that really flourishes like that long term. Brady wouldn’t be Brady without Belichick. It could work out beautifully. 

It was inevitable that we’d start seeing spread offense show up more in the NFL. College football just isn’t producing many high quality NFL caliber QBs anymore.

Remains to be seen how long it lasts. The way the rules are now greatly benefits offenses, so there is less risk these days with going wide open even though dual threat QBs will always be more at risk for injury. Defenses tend to adjust but idk with these rules now. Dudes get called for 15 yard penalties on regular *** sacks.

youngbloodz and g-dawg like this