Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wartownfalcon

Justin Fields to transfer

1,728 posts in this topic

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2018/12/history-shows-justin-fields-is-just-the-latest-5-star-transfer-qb-who-could-amount-to-very-little.html

History shows Justin Fields is just the latest 5-star transfer QB who could amount to very little

Updated Dec 21; Posted 6:00 AM

A lot of blah blah blah, and then:

For instance, I don’t know that I’ve ever seen the explosion of excitement that I did this week when Georgia QB Justin Fields made it known he was looking for a new school. It was as if Patrick Mahomes just became available.

Fields has proven nothing at the college level. He was beaten out for the Georgia QB job in his freshman season by sophomore incumbent Jake Fromm, even though Kirby Smart gave him every opportunity to take it.

Yet, it’s as if the geeks are certain he will singlehandedly turn around any program at which he lands. Y’know, he was the #1-ranked overall recruit in last year’s class!

But transferring is becoming an epidemic these days. It’s not that I blame kids who do it. In order to have a chance at a multimillion-dollar NFL career, you have to get playing time in college. And if you can’t get it one place, you try another.

I’m just mystified that so many people seem so convinced that rankings equal success. They just don’t necessarily at all. Especially highly-ranked quarterbacks who transfer. History proves it.

I recently saw tweeted a graphic of such QBs who’ve switched schools in the past eight years. Including Fields, there are now 10 quarterbacks ranked either #1 or #2 nationally at their position coming out of high school by the 247 Sports composite who have transferred colleges. Their results have been spotty at best. The more you sift through this list, the more you realize how flimsy is the ranking:

• Phillip Sims (#1 in 2010), of the Tidewater region of Virginia, got beat out by A.J. McCarron at Alabama, played a season at Virginia, flunked out and ended up at Winston-Salem State. He went undrafted and was cut from two NFL teams without playing a down.

• Jeff Driskell (#1 in 2011) had a decent season as the starter at Florida in 2012, lost his job in 2013, split time in 2014 and threw for 9 TDs and 10 interceptions and fled for Louisiana Tech where he had a big year in 2015. He is the star of this entire group, having been claimed off waivers by the Cincinnati Bengals as a back-up. He has been starting for injured Andy Dalton as the Bengals play out the string of 2018.

• Gunner Kiel (#2 in 2012), Indiana’s Mr. Football, is perhaps the most notorious of this list. He verbally committed to Indiana, then reneged and committed to Louisiana State, then reneged and signed with Notre Dame. After being beaten out by both Everett Golson and Tommy Rees, he transferred to Cincinnati where he started in 2014 and 2015, throwing for 50 TDs but also 24 picks, then was busted down to third string in 2016 before getting some late-season run. He is now out of football.

• Max Browne (#1 in 2013) of Seattle you may remember as the Pittsburgh quarterback who ejected from Southern California after being beaten out there three straight years, then got hurt at Pitt after a decent start to 2017. He was not drafted and is out of football.

• Kyle Allen (#1 in 2014) of Phoenix started parts of 2014 and 2015 at Texas A&M before throwing three pick-6s against Alabama and eventually being benched with a shoulder sprain. He transferred to Houston and started there in 2017 before being benched. He was signed as a free agent by the Carolina Panthers and activated Thursday when Cam Newton was shut down for the season.

• Blake Barnett (#2 in 2015) of suburban Los Angeles was briefly Alabama’s starter in 2016 but quickly lost the job to Jalen Hurts. He eventually transferred to Arizona State where he was beaten out by incumbent Manny Wilkins. Barnett then transferred again to South Florida as a grad and started for the Bulls who went 7-0 before finishing 0-6 with an ugly home-field loss to Marshall on Thursday in the Bad Boy Mowers Bowl.

• Jacob Eason (#2 in 2016), another Seattle-area kid, was the first primo recruit beat out by relative ham-n-egger Fromm at Georgia. He actually had the starting job as a freshman before losing it early in 2017 when he was injured. So, he transferred back home to Washington where he sat out this season behind outgoing senior Jake Browning.

• Shea Patterson (#1 in 2016) of Toledo, you know all about. Played at Mississippi for two seasons and did OK, though he only totaled just 8 TDs and 7 picks against Power Five opponents. He was better at Michigan, gaining third-team all-Big Ten honors in 2018, but struggled in losses at Notre Dame and Ohio State.

• Hunter Johnson (#2 in 2017) saw back-up duty as a freshman at Clemson and decided to transfer to Northwestern where he sat out this season. He’s projected as the starter next year.

• And now, Justin Fields (#1 in 2018) who’ll have to sit out after having his redshirt burned in garbage time at Georgia. It’s assumed, though not positive, he’ll have to wait until 2020 to play wherever he lands. But to hear and read the reaction of the recruiting geeks – writers and fans alike – you’d think he was a guaranteed savior to whatever that school turns out to be.

It’s just not true. It’s not even close to true. Lofty player rankings – especially at quarterback, doubly when they transfer – just can’t be trusted. The evidence indicates a 5-star label might even act as an albatross.

Meanwhile, you have Trace McSorley finishing up a 3-year Penn State tenure as a starter, leading the Nittany Lions through a transformational era of the most exciting offensive football in the program’s history.

Of course, he was only a 3-star recruit, the #40-ranked quarterback in the 2014 class, 10 notches down from another 3-star kid from east Texas, a #30-ranked QB. That would be Patrick Mahomes. Neither of an elite level, by any means.

95Dawg, m2Falcons and SacFalcFan like this

7 hours ago, RandomFan said:

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2018/12/history-shows-justin-fields-is-just-the-latest-5-star-transfer-qb-who-could-amount-to-very-little.html

History shows Justin Fields is just the latest 5-star transfer QB who could amount to very little

For instance, I don’t know that I’ve ever seen the explosion of excitement that I did this week when Georgia QB Justin Fields made it known he was looking for a new school. It was as if Patrick Mahomes just became available.

Fields has proven nothing at the college level. He was beaten out for the Georgia QB job in his freshman season by sophomore incumbent Jake Fromm, even though Kirby Smart gave him every opportunity to take it.

Yet, it’s as if the geeks are certain he will singlehandedly turn around any program at which he lands. Y’know, he was the #1-ranked overall recruit in last year’s class!

But transferring is becoming an epidemic these days. It’s not that I blame kids who do it. In order to have a chance at a multimillion-dollar NFL career, you have to get playing time in college. And if you can’t get it one place, you try another.

I’m just mystified that so many people seem so convinced that rankings equal success. They just don’t necessarily at all. Especially highly-ranked quarterbacks who transfer. History proves it.

I recently saw tweeted a graphic of such QBs who’ve switched schools in the past eight years. Including Fields, there are now 10 quarterbacks ranked either #1 or #2 nationally at their position coming out of high school by the 247 Sports composite who have transferred colleges. Their results have been spotty at best. The more you sift through this list, the more you realize how flimsy is the ranking:

• Phillip Sims (#1 in 2010), of the Tidewater region of Virginia, got beat out by A.J. McCarron at Alabama, played a season at Virginia, flunked out and ended up at Winston-Salem State. He went undrafted and was cut from two NFL teams without playing a down.

• Jeff Driskell (#1 in 2011) had a decent season as the starter at Florida in 2012, lost his job in 2013, split time in 2014 and threw for 9 TDs and 10 interceptions and fled for Louisiana Tech where he had a big year in 2015. He is the star of this entire group, having been claimed off waivers by the Cincinnati Bengals as a back-up. He has been starting for injured Andy Dalton as the Bengals play out the string of 2018.

• Gunner Kiel (#2 in 2012), Indiana’s Mr. Football, is perhaps the most notorious of this list. He verbally committed to Indiana, then reneged and committed to Louisiana State, then reneged and signed with Notre Dame. After being beaten out by both Everett Golson and Tommy Rees, he transferred to Cincinnati where he started in 2014 and 2015, throwing for 50 TDs but also 24 picks, then was busted down to third string in 2016 before getting some late-season run. He is now out of football.

• Max Browne (#1 in 2013) of Seattle you may remember as the Pittsburgh quarterback who ejected from Southern California after being beaten out there three straight years, then got hurt at Pitt after a decent start to 2017. He was not drafted and is out of football.

• Kyle Allen (#1 in 2014) of Phoenix started parts of 2014 and 2015 at Texas A&M before throwing three pick-6s against Alabama and eventually being benched with a shoulder sprain. He transferred to Houston and started there in 2017 before being benched. He was signed as a free agent by the Carolina Panthers and activated Thursday when Cam Newton was shut down for the season.

• Blake Barnett (#2 in 2015) of suburban Los Angeles was briefly Alabama’s starter in 2016 but quickly lost the job to Jalen Hurts. He eventually transferred to Arizona State where he was beaten out by incumbent Manny Wilkins. Barnett then transferred again to South Florida as a grad and started for the Bulls who went 7-0 before finishing 0-6 with an ugly home-field loss to Marshall on Thursday in the Bad Boy Mowers Bowl.

• Jacob Eason (#2 in 2016), another Seattle-area kid, was the first primo recruit beat out by relative ham-n-egger Fromm at Georgia. He actually had the starting job as a freshman before losing it early in 2017 when he was injured. So, he transferred back home to Washington where he sat out this season behind outgoing senior Jake Browning.

• Shea Patterson (#1 in 2016) of Toledo, you know all about. Played at Mississippi for two seasons and did OK, though he only totaled just 8 TDs and 7 picks against Power Five opponents. He was better at Michigan, gaining third-team all-Big Ten honors in 2018, but struggled in losses at Notre Dame and Ohio State.

• Hunter Johnson (#2 in 2017) saw back-up duty as a freshman at Clemson and decided to transfer to Northwestern where he sat out this season. He’s projected as the starter next year.

• And now, Justin Fields (#1 in 2018) who’ll have to sit out after having his redshirt burned in garbage time at Georgia. It’s assumed, though not positive, he’ll have to wait until 2020 to play wherever he lands. But to hear and read the reaction of the recruiting geeks – writers and fans alike – you’d think he was a guaranteed savior to whatever that school turns out to be.

It’s just not true. It’s not even close to true. Lofty player rankings – especially at quarterback, doubly when they transfer – just can’t be trusted. The evidence indicates a 5-star label might even act as an albatross.

Meanwhile, you have Trace McSorley finishing up a 3-year Penn State tenure as a starter, leading the Nittany Lions through a transformational era of the most exciting offensive football in the program’s history.

Of course, he was only a 3-star recruit, the #40-ranked quarterback in the 2014 class, 10 notches down from another 3-star kid from east Texas, a #30-ranked QB. That would be Patrick Mahomes. Neither of an elite level, by any means.

Lol how does Pennlive know what goes on in Athens? I'm sure that negative article has nothing to do with Fields decommitment from Penn State

g-dawg and Macknsweetjones like this

2 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Or he could be like Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murry

Lol how does Pennlive know what goes on in Athens? I'm sure that negative article has nothing to do with Fields decommitment from Penn State

Mayfield wasn't a 5 star

31 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Mayfield wasn't a 5 star

I'm still trying to figure out how he was so lowly rated. But that's what I get for skimming and not reading the entire thing

Ovie_Lover likes this

2 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

I'm still trying to figure out how he was a so lowly rated. That's what I get for skimming and not reading the entire thing

It's insane he was a 3 star. The scout was drunk.

youngbloodz likes this

I think you're kind of proving the whole point of his article: that the initial scouting of the QB position isn't very good. Evidenced by the high amount of top 2 rated QB's over the years that have ended up transferring...have not panned out. He's not saying Fields is destined to fail or that he sucks; he's simply saying the historical data suggest the odds aren't in his favor if he ends up transferring. 

95Dawg likes this

5 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

Lol - how do you write an article like that and leave out that the last two Heisman winners were QB transfers (Mayfield/Murray) and not reference another that almost got invited this year(Will Grier)?

Talk about an unbalanced/slanted article - sheesh!

3 hours ago, RandomFan said:

I think you're kind of proving the whole point of his article: that the initial scouting of the QB position isn't very good. Evidenced by the high amount of top 2 rated QB's over the years that have ended up transferring...have not panned out. He's not saying Fields is destined to fail or that he sucks; he's simply saying the historical data suggest the odds aren't in his favor if he ends up transferring. 

He pulled the top 2 rated crap only cause it supports his agenda. The writer was just looking for clicks and got it. Why does Pennlive care about QB transfers that has nothing to do with Penn State? I agree with you about the QB scouting. 

g-dawg and Macknsweetjones like this

51 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Lol - how do you write an article like that and leave out that the last two Heisman winners were QB transfers (Mayfield/Murray) and not reference another that almost got invited this year(Will Grier)?

Talk about an unbalanced/slanted article - sheesh!

Were Murray, Mayfield, and Grier five star QBs that we’re ranked #1 or #2 nationally? Like the author stated? 

Edited by TheTrue7
RandomFan likes this

39 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Were Murray, Mayfield, and Grier five star QBs that we’re ranked #1 or #2 nationally? Like the author stated? 

Dude....Justin Fields is gonna be a star in college football.   His extremely limited snaps at UGA did NOTHING to suggest otherwise.  Fields proved under the worst set of circumstances that he could perform at a very high level.

You will be severely disappointed if you are rooting for Fields to be a flop.

The article is written from POV that “(insert name here) could be a flop because of so-and-so and such and such” and a guy that knows nothing of Fields and his abilities.

4 hours ago, RandomFan said:

The odds aren’t in his favor?  Fields oozes talent.  All 5* aren’t created equal and go no further than Eason/Fields to see this.

Fields has every trait needed to be successful - and he will be.

Baker Mayfield was stuck behind Patrick Mahoney - both are starting QBs in the NFL now.  There’s your comp.  - very similar situation- simply too much talent for one starter spot  - not sure why anyone would paint this otherwise.

57 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Dude....Justin Fields is gonna be a star in college football.   His extremely limited snaps at UGA did NOTHING to suggest otherwise.  Fields proved under the worst set of circumstances that he could perform at a very high level.

You will be severely disappointed if you are rooting for Fields to be a flop.

The article is written from POV that “(insert name here) could be a flop because of so-and-so and such and such” and a guy that knows nothing of Fields and his abilities.

I don’t believe anyone is rooting for him to flop..  just that we’re not crowning him like you are.. 

and again, the author explained his parameters but since it painted Fields in a negative light, you once again step forward to protect and object.. 

RandomFan likes this

14 hours ago, RandomFan said:

People believe great talent makes a qb great but thats crap.  Lot of very talented qbs amount to nothing.  Nothing is a given.  Fields may be a great qb or he might be nothing in the end.  I remember number 1 qb mitch mustain who a sure fire lock to being a number 1 pick.. his family got involved and after his freshman year he transferred and the rest is history. 

Fields could not beat out fromm and if he thinks it will get easier transferring to osu or ou he has another thing coming.  Where ever you transfer you will have to compete and not quit and go elsewhere.  Time will tell on fields.  I am just happy this whole soap opera will be done and fields or his family won't be trying to hurt our recruiting efforts like he did this year. 

57 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

Fields could not beat out fromm and if he thinks it will get easier transferring to osu or ou he has another thing coming.  Where ever you transfer you will have to compete and not quit and go elsewhere.  Time will tell on fields.  I am just happy this whole soap opera will be done and fields or his family won't be trying to hurt our recruiting efforts like he did this year. 

Bingo

1 hour ago, TheTrue7 said:

I don’t believe anyone is rooting for him to flop..  just that we’re not crowning him like you are.. 

and again, the author explained his parameters but since it painted Fields in a negative light, you once again step forward to protect and object.. 

Why post it at all?  If “nobody knows” then why is this article worthy of this messageboard?  The kid has played well in his limited opportunity.  He would have Started for every college team save about 5.  Would be the toast of any of those teams.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

Why post it at all?  If “nobody knows” then why is this article worthy of this messageboard?  The kid has played well in his limited opportunity.  He would have Started for every college team save about 5.  Would be the toast of any of those teams.

This is all your opinions.. yet you speak out if others opinions differ.. why post it? Maybe because it hit on the subject of the thread? 

:shrug:

RandomFan likes this

6 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

This is all your opinions.. yet you speak out if others opinions differ.. why post it? Maybe because it hit on the subject of the thread? 

:shrug:

Well I know the kid and his talent.  This post won’t age well for you. ;)

Surprised that people that have seen his small sample size at Georgia would think otherwise ).

69.2% completion percentage 

4 Passing TDs

4 Rushing TDs

0 Ints

0 fumbles 

500+ scrimmage yards run/pass

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Well I know the kid and his talent.  This post won’t age well for you. ;)

Surprised that people that have seen his small sample size at Georgia would think otherwise.

Won’t age well? I haven’t stated anything otherwise.. what you interpret is what you interpret.. doesn’t bother me either way.. as I said before, I hope for your case he pans out to be half as good as you’re making him out to be..

but here I thought you were over it.. 

;)

26 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

He would have Started for every college team save about 5.  Would be the toast of any of those teams.

What are you drinking this morning? 

TheTrue7 likes this