Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wartownfalcon

Justin Fields to transfer

1,728 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Kirby let it slip when talking about Mathis.  Fields is gone.

“Well, we liked his athleticism and his arm motion," Smart said of Mathis. "He's got a really strong whip, he can pop the ball and we thought a lot of him. [laughs] We didn't stay in communication with him the whole time from that period of time until finding out Justin was leaving. So there was a period of time there where there wasn't communication. But it did fire back up quickly.”

That’s interesting so I’m sure they talked about him transferring all along.

11 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

That’s interesting so I’m sure they talked about him transferring all along.

yeah...  I'm pretty sure at this point that the 'Fields may (read > is almost certainly going to) transfer topic' has been going strong since Florida week or immediately afterwards.

And I would venture a guess that the entire UGA coaching staff, and many of the players to varying degrees, aren't exactly heart broken about it at this point.

9 minutes ago, m2Falcons said:

yeah...  I'm pretty sure at this point that the 'Fields may (read > is almost certainly going to) transfer topic' has been going strong since Florida week or immediately afterwards.

And I would venture a guess that the entire UGA coaching staff, and many of the players to varying degrees, aren't exactly heart broken about it at this point.

My thoughts exactly!

On 12/19/2018 at 9:09 PM, TheTrue7 said:

But couldn’t take the job.. may have the physical abilities “may”, but leadership not so much..

think about this.. what happens if Eason doesn’t get hurt? Do you think we’re going through this same charade with Fromm being upset? Or do you think Fromm continues to put his head down and work?

Talent? - Fields has abundance of talent.  Probably best skill set of arm/leg talent and size/speed than any player coming out of high school in last 10yrs.  Most in Dawgs fanbase don’t really grasp the level of his talent.

Leadership? - Yeah, I believe Fields May be lacking in this area - he may develop into a leader but I didn’t really see it at Harrison HS and don’t believe he showed much this year.  He is likeable with other players (some not all).  Hopefully Justin will grow into leadership (with his new team) but he has a long way to go there.  Also, I don’t believe Justin really tries too much whenever he does public speaking- maybe just camera shy.  I know Ga freshman not available.

Fromm? Yeah no doubt Fromm is a more natural leader and team first guy.  

Fields is gonna light it up though when he transfers and gets his opportunity - believe that.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Talent? - Fields has abundance of talent.  Probably best skill set of arm/leg talent and size/speed than any player coming out of high school in last 10yrs.  Most in Dawgs fanbase don’t really grasp the level of his talent.

Leadership? - Yeah, I believe Fields May be lacking in this area - he may develop into a leader but I didn’t really see it at Harrison HS and don’t believe he showed much this year.  He is likeable with other players (some not all).  Hopefully Justin will grow into leadership (with his new team) but he has a long way to go there.  Also, I don’t believe Justin really tries too much whenever he does public speaking- maybe just camera shy.  I know Ga freshman not available.

Fromm? Yeah no doubt Fromm is a more natural leader and team first guy.  

Fields is gonna light it up though when he transfers and gets his opportunity - believe that.

Don’t really grasp the level of his talent? He’s gotta show it for “some to grasp it”.. just saying.. 

gonna light it up? Well, again, I hope for your sake he does.. ;)

9 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Don’t really grasp the level of his talent? He’s gotta show it for “some to grasp it”.. just saying.. 

Doesn’t matter to me anymore 

5 minutes ago, Red Bandana said:

If Fields isn’t granted immediate eligibility will he still transfer?

I’d say yes if he was going into a situation with a QB guaranteed to be gone after next year. Places like OU or Ohio St wouldnt make sense though. Rattler and him would both have a year learning the system at OU, but Rattler could play this year. At Ohio State Tate has been there as a back up learning the system for 2 years and would likely take over if Haskins leaves this year 

He might just end up where he is right now.

12 minutes ago, mike teevee said:

I’d say yes if he was going into a situation with a QB guaranteed to be gone after next year. Places like OU or Ohio St wouldnt make sense though. Rattler and him would both have a year learning the system at OU, but Rattler could play this year. At Ohio State Tate has been there as a back up learning the system for 2 years and would likely take over if Haskins leaves this year 

or worse.

I'm guessing he ends up at one of these: Penn State, Florida, FSU, Auburn, USC, or Bama

Don’t get going to osu and haselwood to ou thought thier big thing was playing together. Seems toxic, I like letting him play after we get the game under control against Tx to protect fromm, but I’d also be fine with letting him not dress if he hasn’t left the team yet and play one of the walk ons... actually what id prefer

Falcons In 2012 likes this

20 hours ago, mike teevee said:

Tate Martell is awful - can’t believe Buckeyes even gave him a scholly 

Posted this on recruiting thread but I don’t want to ruin the thread with JF debate.

In a perfect world we would have been playing chess, not checkers, and kept our eye on the next 2-3 years.  I believe Kirby & Chaney were short sighted this year.  Fromm is a great player and was going to improve this year, making it hard & controversial to supplant him if we were winning.  Kirk Herbstreit said all year that the debate is a joke and Fromm is the QB until he leaves.   But if our staff felt Fields was better long term, they should have sacrificed some lumps this year and started him.  Perhaps it sacrifices the year, but we were always a year away.  This was Bama’s year.  And being honest, we’d have the same record if Fields started every game this year.  

10 years from now, how will people remember these 2 QB’s?  To me it’s clear.  Both are going to be great college QB’s....but only one will be remembered as dynamic.  A game changer.  A once in a generation talent and we let him get away.  JF simply could not gamble that Fromm would leave next year.  If Fromm stayed, Fields gets one year.  It’s not enough.  He needs years of meaningful practice reps and game snaps with the #1 team.

The good news is our OL and running backs are good enough to help Fromm win us a NC.  Fields on the other hand will be the kind of player who doesn’t need all the extra help to get the job done.  IMO

10 hours ago, mike teevee said:

giphy.gif

Wasn’t a fan of the kid on the QB1 show. He seemed to spout off quite a bit on twitter in HS too.

Buckeye coaches probably want to kick his pompous *** off the team.  Martell is so overrated

g-dawg and 95Dawg like this

37 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Buckeye coaches probably want to kick his pompous *** off the team.  Martell is so overrated

Yeah whenever someone spouts off Martell’s name as a legitimate option to be starter for Ohio State, I just :lol:.

You cannot assume Fields is operating with the most sensible mind.  His best option would be Oklahoma where he could likely follow in the footsteps of recent Heisman winners and the competition for the QB spot would be from a true freshman.

However, watch him do something based more on his emotions like going to Georgia Tech just so he can stay near home and attempt to get back at UGA at the end of the season. 

Even Ohio State is going to be in a transitional period next year with HC Urban Meyer leaving and would not be a great choice for an "uncertainty" like Fields who would the one thrown under the bus if the Buckeyes have a bad year next year (assuming he beats out Martell).

Edited by jlrfalcon

On 12/21/2018 at 4:42 PM, Falconsin2012 said:

Posted this on recruiting thread but I don’t want to ruin the thread with JF debate.

In a perfect world we would have been playing chess, not checkers, and kept our eye on the next 2-3 years.  I believe Kirby & Chaney were short sighted this year.  Fromm is a great player and was going to improve this year, making it hard & controversial to supplant him if we were winning.  Kirk Herbstreit said all year that the debate is a joke and Fromm is the QB until he leaves.   But if our staff felt Fields was better long term, they should have sacrificed some lumps this year and started him.  Perhaps it sacrifices the year, but we were always a year away.  This was Bama’s year.  And being honest, we’d have the same record if Fields started every game this year.  

10 years from now, how will people remember these 2 QB’s?  To me it’s clear.  Both are going to be great college QB’s....but only one will be remembered as dynamic.  A game changer.  A once in a generation talent and we let him get away.  JF simply could not gamble that Fromm would leave next year.  If Fromm stayed, Fields gets one year.  It’s not enough.  He needs years of meaningful practice reps and game snaps with the #1 team.

The good news is our OL and running backs are good enough to help Fromm win us a NC.  Fields on the other hand will be the kind of player who doesn’t need all the extra help to get the job done.  IMO

It's a tough situation. I'm a little puzzled by how the coaching staff handled Fields in games this year.  I do hate losing him. But Fromm is also special, in a different way. Not a direct comparison, but I think he has Tom Brady like leadership and smarts.

And there is the one fact that Fields couldn't beat out Fromm and it wasn't even close.

Falcons In 2012 likes this

10 minutes ago, sirlot said:

It's a tough situation. I'm a little puzzled by how the coaching staff handled Fields in games this year.  I do hate losing him. But Fromm is also special, in a different way. Not a direct comparison, but I think he has Tom Brady like leadership and smarts.

And there is the one fact that Fields couldn't beat out Fromm and it wasn't even close.

Good post.  I actually posted in a different thread that in a perfect world Fromm is drafted by the Patriots in the 2nd round.  Learn from Brady and step in...he even looks like Brady

sirlot likes this

On 12/21/2018 at 2:01 PM, TheTrue7 said:

That's why he is transferring...:lol:

On 12/22/2018 at 11:01 AM, Falconsin2012 said:

Sounds like he got some Geno Smith in him....

Think it’s a mistake to not have him move on now- get him away from the team, locker room, and no where near the field, at this point don’t see how that is a good thing and not some kind of toxic situation for the team.. Kirby should either tell him to decide and stay or move on. 

ncgodawgs likes this

18 minutes ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

Think it’s a mistake to not have him move on now- get him away from the team, locker room, and no where near the field, at this point don’t see how that is a good thing and not some kind of toxic situation for the team.. Kirby should either tell him to decide and stay or move on. 

I don’t know, I mean now that everything has calmed down I don’t see a problem with him playing the bowl game.  The reality is that when many players transfer after a season(including bowl game) the coaches already know and player tells coaches etc.  

the difference in this situation is that it was made public and not intentionally by Justin.  Almost every other time a player leaves after a season the coaches knew the players plans weeks or even months before it is announced.  I think this situation is more about it getting out vs the fact he is transferring.  If that makes sense.

18 minutes ago, Is This What You Want? said:

I don’t know, I mean now that everything has calmed down I don’t see a problem with him playing the bowl game.  The reality is that when many players transfer after a season(including bowl game) the coaches already know and player tells coaches etc.  

the difference in this situation is that it was made public and not intentionally by Justin.  Almost every other time a player leaves after a season the coaches knew the players plans weeks or even months before it is announced.  I think this situation is more about it getting out vs the fact he is transferring.  If that makes sense.

My only argument there is, if you are going to play another player, in garbage time, or just for the sake of getting someone reps, then give those reps to the player that is going to be playing for this team next year.  If a situation calls for Fields to play, to help us win, then fine, play him.  If the game is out of hand, play the player who is sticking around.