Cheap Talk

Sambrailo nailing down RT?

61 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, Gee-Q said:

My 13-year old son said that Beadles sucked yesterday... lol

At one point, he was screaming... What the heck is 69 doing?  He's garbage..

Haha... my 13-year old has been playing football here in Austin since age 4.  Majority at QB.  He knows the value of a good lineman

He is not wrong.

Gee-Q likes this

3 hours ago, Road Warrior said:

I'll take your word for it, but I didn't see that.  What I remember is it was like his feet were in concrete and just didn't move.  Where was Hooper lined up at?  Why would he be blocking the tackle?  

No watch it again. Hooper definitely got in the way and caused the sac.

Road Warrior, atljbo and Atl Falcon like this

4 hours ago, vel said:

This. 

Stabilize the OGs, that improves Mack and Jake is a rock now. Most OL have 4 out of 5 as really good and the 5th is usually helped. If Ty is that 5th, I don't think we're in bad shape. 

Yup, we don't need allstars at every spot, just don't make it so the studs we do have are constantly doing their own jobs and the job of everybody around them at the same time. Get the best guard available and then we can keep our options open and pick the best player our of guards and tackles.

We don't need to overcommit to changing our entire line, our RT's and our guards are both good enough as long as they're the weakest link.

5 hours ago, osiruz said:

He is better than Shraeder but I still rather draft an RT.

Sambrailo is playing decent but a lot of his success has come because we are running the ball better the last 2 games. A solid run game will slow down a opposing team pass rush. 

PokerSteve and Cole World like this

I HATED this trade when we got him, given he was the guy abused on Denver's OL by Beasley.

That being said, he's been extremely solid for us these past 2 seasons when we've used him.  I don't think he's a long term solution at RT, but we should def resign him to play swing tackle

6 hours ago, Cheap Talk said:

No one is giving Sambrailo his due, but he has given Ryan time in the pocket the last two games that has been missing all season. The two sacks that were given-up from the right side in the Green Bay and Arizona games were not his fault, and his PFF rating reflects that. 

He has shown the athleticism that made him a 2nd-round selection. Everyone wants to remember the multi-sack game by Beasley against him, but he is turning 27-years old and could be maturing into the Falcon's answer at RT. If so,that would save them a high draft pick or from signing an expensive free-agent next off-season. That is no small find here at the end of an almost worthless season.

6 hours ago, Cheap Talk said:

No one is giving Sambrailo his due, but he has given Ryan time in the pocket the last two games that has been missing all season. The two sacks that were given-up from the right side in the Green Bay and Arizona games were not his fault, and his PFF rating reflects that. 

He has shown the athleticism that made him a 2nd-round selection. Everyone wants to remember the multi-sack game by Beasley against him, but he is turning 27-years old and could be maturing into the Falcon's answer at RT. If so,that would save them a high draft pick or from signing an expensive free-agent next off-season. That is no small find here at the end of an almost worthless season.

He is not the answer if there is just one  Free Agent T with two healthy legs and weighs 315 or more.

7 hours ago, Cheap Talk said:

I hope you're wrong, imo Sambralio is too old to make a project.. I actually hope if we keep him it's for debth and we can have a young hungry olineman in that position next season.. We take on too many players on that ledge just before they fall off and we end up stuck with junk. Sambralio is a prime example 

vitaman likes this

No im tired of these bargain bin o lineman yeah he will get us through this year then our luck he sucks to high heaven and we are back to square one.

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

I think we have our man, and will save over $6M in cap space by allowing the Falcons to let Schraeder go as a June 1st cut.

Still need to draft an OG/OC in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

How many June 1st designations can we have? 

1 hour ago, HMFIC said:

He is not the answer if there is just one  Free Agent T with two healthy legs and weighs 315 or more.

52 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

I hope you're wrong, imo Sambralio is too old to make a project.. I actually hope if we keep him it's for debth and we can have a young hungry olineman in that position next season.. We take on too many players on that ledge just before they fall off and we end up stuck with junk. Sambralio is a prime example 

32 minutes ago, RoddyWhite84 said:

No im tired of these bargain bin o lineman yeah he will get us through this year then our luck he sucks to high heaven and we are back to square one.

You guys were all born with 'silver spoons' in your mouths. Remember an undrafted free-agent on the Falcon's practice squad for several years, named Clabo? He helped the Falcons make it to the NFC championship game, coming 10-yards from going to the SB. 

Sambrailo has a lot more natural talent and athleticism than Clabo had, it has just taken a lot of time to learn the speed of the NFL game. Some players get bad press and that is it, fans get brain-washed, think that is what has happened in Sambrailo's case.

Upstate NY Falcon likes this

5 hours ago, vel said:

Ty was drafted in 2015. That's years. His play this year is miles better than how he looked when Beasley abused him in 2016. 

He's one player out of many. I did a quick search on last year's OLmen drafted from rounds 1-3, and it's a mixed bag, but more than half, probably closer to three quarters of them are already starting to make contributions.

I didn't focus on the first round too much. We know they are making there mark as they should be (a la Nelson in Indy... On a good OL though).

But for the rest, T Orlando Brown, 3rd rnd, rated highest grade of all by PFF for Baltimore linemen in week 9.

2nd round OG/C Daniels starting for Chicago and appears to be getting high marks or at least high praise from his coach. We know how they are doing.

2nd round T Connor Williams of Dallas "is up and down with more good than bad".

2nd rnd, T Hernandez is starting to play much better as mentioned in a couple of threads on TATF, not that that makes it a fact, but he looked decent in the one game I saw a couple weeks ago.

2nd rnd Vikings OT Brian O'Neill was only 1 of 7 OTs with 0 sacks after 200 or more snaps after week 9 I believe it was.

3rd rnd OT Rankin now starting and doing a good job for Houston. I live here so get to see him week to week and he would likely start for us at OT or OG.

3 others from the 3rd round are injured or haven't yet made a mark, and one of them is behind 2 good OTs on the Rams.

That's 6 for 9 that are doing average to great selected in the 2nd or 3rd round. It sounds to me that it takes no longer than about 9-14 weeks to get up to speed and start contributing. Obviously, there will be outliers, just as there are those selected later who may be starting and at least average before someone selected early.

I did notice those who were selected at the back end of the 3rd round didn't seem to be making contributions, but many of the others are. As bad as our OGs and RT have been, I would gladly take the first 6 above, although that doesn't mean I would neglect an above average FA at a G and T position. 

As much as MR has been on the ground this year, our OL and fielding a pass rush would be my 2 biggest priorities in the off season, followed by a very distant 3rd priority at one LBer spot, and with Foye coming along, it would be a low priority. I expect he could be much better with our injured safeties coming back next year.

vel and vitaman like this

32 minutes ago, Steel City Falcon said:

Lets see how well he plays against the Panthers and Buccs. Both of them have a better pass rush than the Cardinals.

The Cards is one f the better D's in the league..... They are 6th in sacks with 41......The Panthers are 27th with 30 sacks (before tonights game) and the Bucs are 14th with 36 sacks

I do want to see how he plays the rest of the year tho.

I want to see Gono development next year also

bossFALCON™ and Cheap Talk like this

3 hours ago, atlbaby said:

Sambrailo is playing decent but a lot of his success has come because we are running the ball better the last 2 games. A solid run game will slow down a opposing team pass rush. 

This

17 hours ago, Cheap Talk said:

Sambrailo's PFF rating for the season, following the Arizona game, has now been increased to 77.1 from a 72.3 season rating prior to the last game.  That moves Sambrailo ahead of Alex Mack's 76.6 PFF season rating, and is just slightly behind Jake Matthews' 79.6 PFF season rating.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/ty-sambrailo/9492

Jerz #DukeSZN and Cheap Talk like this

15 hours ago, Gee-Q said:

My 13-year old son said that Beadles sucked yesterday... lol

At one point, he was screaming... What the heck is 69 doing?  He's garbage..

Haha... my 13-year old has been playing football here in Austin since age 4.  Majority at QB.  He knows the value of a good lineman

I believe that your son is correct.  Zane Beadles' PFF grade for the season now stands at 42.8 following the Arizona game.  Beadles' PFF grade for the season prior to the last game was a 50.1.  He's bad and getting even worse.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/zane-beadles/5570

Jerz #DukeSZN likes this

17 hours ago, vel said:

Honestly, I had this thought mid way through the game yesterday. I just didn't recall seeing Sambrailo, which is usually a good thing for OL. I didn't pay attention to how well he was playing, but he hasn't been an issue lately. Coming out, he was an ideal fit for a ZBS OL. I wish they would give him some snaps at RG, because I think he could solve our problems there. But if he's not tanking at RT, why not just roll with it. 

Ty pass blocking is still suspect, but his run blocking is 5 times better than schraders

vel likes this

My question is if he is this much better, why did it take the staff so long to identify and make the change? Not only games but all the practices should have shown this since early in the season!

i guess the contract gives a longer leash?

vitaman and Cheap Talk like this

18 hours ago, vel said:

This. 

Stabilize the OGs, that improves Mack and Jake is a rock now. Most OL have 4 out of 5 as really good and the 5th is usually helped. If Ty is that 5th, I don't think we're in bad shape. 

We can score pts even with this pathetic oline.

My main concern always has been inability to beef up D-Line.

Lack toughness and intimidation upfront.

Young rookies look like H.O.F vs our defense.

And we sit there in cover 2 or 3 all day to pick us apart at will. 

Major changes needed on defense upcoming season.

vel likes this

4 hours ago, theProf said:

Sambrailo's PFF rating for the season, following the Arizona game, has now been increased to 77.1 from a 72.3 season rating prior to the last game.  That moves Sambrailo ahead of Alex Mack's 76.6 PFF season rating, and is just slightly behind Jake Matthews' 79.6 PFF season rating.

Thanks for that Prof, obviously PFF did not think he was responsible for the sacks in either game.

Gee-Q, that kid of yours knows his stuff!

13 hours ago, celtiksage said:

He's one player out of many. I did a quick search on last year's OLmen drafted from rounds 1-3, and it's a mixed bag, but more than half, probably closer to three quarters of them are already starting to make contributions.

I didn't focus on the first round too much. We know they are making there mark as they should be (a la Nelson in Indy... On a good OL though).

But for the rest, T Orlando Brown, 3rd rnd, rated highest grade of all by PFF for Baltimore linemen in week 9.

2nd round OG/C Daniels starting for Chicago and appears to be getting high marks or at least high praise from his coach. We know how they are doing.

2nd round T Connor Williams of Dallas "is up and down with more good than bad".

2nd rnd, T Hernandez is starting to play much better as mentioned in a couple of threads on TATF, not that that makes it a fact, but he looked decent in the one game I saw a couple weeks ago.

2nd rnd Vikings OT Brian O'Neill was only 1 of 7 OTs with 0 sacks after 200 or more snaps after week 9 I believe it was.

3rd rnd OT Rankin now starting and doing a good job for Houston. I live here so get to see him week to week and he would likely start for us at OT or OG.

3 others from the 3rd round are injured or haven't yet made a mark, and one of them is behind 2 good OTs on the Rams.

That's 6 for 9 that are doing average to great selected in the 2nd or 3rd round. It sounds to me that it takes no longer than about 9-14 weeks to get up to speed and start contributing. Obviously, there will be outliers, just as there are those selected later who may be starting and at least average before someone selected early.

I did notice those who were selected at the back end of the 3rd round didn't seem to be making contributions, but many of the others are. As bad as our OGs and RT have been, I would gladly take the first 6 above, although that doesn't mean I would neglect an above average FA at a G and T position. 

As much as MR has been on the ground this year, our OL and fielding a pass rush would be my 2 biggest priorities in the off season, followed by a very distant 3rd priority at one LBer spot, and with Foye coming along, it would be a low priority. I expect he could be much better with our injured safeties coming back next year.

Which is also why I have no issue going OL in the mid rounds. My preference is go hard after Saffold to take on the LG spot. That settles the left side. After that, get the best RG in the early second. From there, depending on how Sambrailo looks from here on out, you might be set. If he falls off vs CAR and TB the next two weeks, I think the RT market in the draft is deep enough to find one in the third. I'm rooting heavily for him to continue to show well. His run blocking is great. It's his pass blocking. But if you have four out of five that are good, that's a good OL. 

4 hours ago, jdawg4876 said:

Ty pass blocking is still suspect, but his run blocking is 5 times better than schraders

But is it? His run blocking is clearly his strength, but who has he gotten beat by on the edge? A stunt with Clay Matthews was mostly on Beadles. He's held his own largely all things considered. I think seeing Peppers/Horton and JPP/Curry the next two weeks will tell the story. 

2 hours ago, mattyicefalcon said:

We can score pts even with this pathetic oline.

My main concern always has been inability to beef up D-Line.

Lack toughness and intimidation upfront.

Young rookies look like H.O.F vs our defense.

And we sit there in cover 2 or 3 all day to pick us apart at will. 

Major changes needed on defense upcoming season.

We need a DC will some balls first. I was glad to see Manuel send constant pressure on Sunday but I think it took him seeing Richards do that in Dallas vs New Orleans to do it. I've been begging for that all season. 

But I agree, we don't have enough nasty guys in the front seven. We need guys you hate to prepare for. 

Cheap Talk and mattyicefalcon like this

4 hours ago, theProf said:

Can you provide his run blocking and pass blocking break downs?