mashburn*Fibonacci

How many draft spots did this pointless win affect us?

104 posts in this topic

On 12/17/2018 at 9:51 AM, octoslash said:

You root for your team to win games?

What are you, some kind of freak?

I root for what's in the best interest of the team. When you can't go to the playoffs or even have a winning season and need to expose the coaches for being inept losing these meaningless games is in our long term best interest.

vitaman likes this

5 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

I root for what's in the best interest of the team. When you can't go to the playoffs or even have a winning season and need to expose the coaches for being inept losing these meaningless games is in our long term best interest.

Says who? For why? 

26 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

Do you not count division rivals twice? They are technically part of your schedule twice, so not sure why they'd be excluded once.

Yes, you absolutely do. 

Its not Strength of Opponents, but Strength of Schedule. At the end of the year, ignore the teams and look at just the numbers. 

Each team will have a total of 256 games. This is from last year: 

32nd. Houston Texans

Opponents' combined 2017 record: 116-140 (.453)

31st. Tennessee Titans

Opponents' combined 2017 record: 119-137 (.465)

Tie-29th. Cincinnati Bengals

Opponents' combined 2017 record: 121-135 (.473)

Hope this helps. 

Lornoth likes this

7 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Says who? For why? 

I’m not sure why some of us say “what’s best for the team”. At the end of the day, to each their own and what’s best is never the same.

Yea, I want them to have better draft position and thought it was laughable that we dominated Arizona. But that is merely my opinion and doesn’t mean losing is “best for anyone”.

It might be best for my hopes of a better draft, but is it best for those playing for their next job? Is it best for “inept” coaches to give up and not worry about their next job? Probably not. Plus, I’m sure they already know who they are gonna fire/let walk. These next 2 weeks won’t change that, no matter how well or bad we do. 

What’s best for the team is to pick future Hall of Famers with every pick. If we could just get them to do that, then we’d be better off, I promise!!

On 12/17/2018 at 9:02 AM, capologist said:

First, they complain that the team has quit.  Now we win, indicating the team has not quit and that's something to complain about.  It's more tiring than losing...

C'mon, bro. Where the Falcons pick is going to be very important to 95 percent of the fan base, especially in a throw-away season like this. You really expect fans are going to get excited about a win that does nothing but drop the team in the draft?

You apparently are not well acquainted with human nature, because this reaction to questionable "good news" that actually brings negative consequences is hardly unique to TATF.

Anything similar in life would invoke the exact same response. If my company gave me a small increase in pay, but that meant I would no longer be getting an end of year bonus, I wouldn't be all that thrilled.

On 12/17/2018 at 9:00 AM, tl;dr said:

Would rather finish the season on a high note. We could use some positive momentum going into next season. It's been a while since we had that

In that case we would probably have to suffer through another year of Sark.  No way, Tank on baby !  That's our rallying cry for the rest of the year.

7 hours ago, Cole World said:

FFS70, Lornoth is actually correct so is the Tankathon website.

You only play 13 opponents in a season with 3 of them you play twice....So thru week 15 it was a total of 182 games played (14 games x 13 opponents).

Our record after you posted your comment is 86-93-3 (182 games) and Detroit record is 87-93-2 (games).

Not sure where you got your numbers, but your #'s are way off as far as total games played.

The division games are counted twice. They are part of your schedule so to determine the Strength of Schedule you include the entire schedule.

So 14 opponents x 14 games = 196 games. At the time of that post CAR and NO hadn't played hence the 96-94-3 (.505) record. Now that they've played the record is 98-95-3 (.508).

Do you see how ONE game can affect the SOS? That's why it makes no sense for Tankathon to include the schedules of future opponents. There are 64 games left to be played that will effect the final SOS.

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

The division games are counted twice. They are part of your schedule so to determine the Strength of Schedule you include the entire schedule.

So 14 opponents x 14 games = 196 games. At the time of that post CAR and NO hadn't played hence the 96-94-3 (.505) record. Now that they've played the record is 98-95-3 (.508).

Do you see how ONE game can affect the SOS? That's why it makes no sense for Tankathon to include the schedules of future opponents. There are 64 games left to be played that will effect the final SOS.

No that’s wrong we only play 13 opponents in a given season. 

Yes we played Saints twice but you can’t count their record twice. You can only count 12 wins and 2 loses.

Just now, Cole World said:

No that’s wrong we only play 13 opponents in a given season. 

Yes we played Saints twice but you can’t count their record twice. You can only count 12 wins and 2 loses.

LMAO. If you're trying to determine the strength of schedule why do you not include the entire schedule?

I think you are thinking about strength of opponent which is different.

On 12/17/2018 at 7:50 AM, quotemokc said:

We moved from 4th to 6th pick.

Now stop crying.

So let me get this straight.

In week 14 of the season, we were slotted for the 4th pick in the draft, suggesting there were only 3 teams worse than us.

At the same time, we were still mathematically in the playoff hunt at kickoff but we’re eliminated after we won the game.

Interesting  season!

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

LMAO. If you're trying to determine the strength of schedule why do you not include the entire schedule?

I am I’m trying to figure out how you are confuse

1. Saints 2. Panthers 3. Bucs 4. Cardinals 5. Packers 6. Cowboys 7. Eagles 8. Giants 9. Redskins 10. Steelers 11. Ravens 12. Bengals 13. Browns 

13 opponents times (x) 14 games = 182 games through week 15

6 minutes ago, Cole World said:

1. Saints 2. Panthers 3. Bucs 4. Cardinals 5. Packers 6. Cowboys 7. Eagles 8. Giants 9. Redskins 10. Steelers 11. Ravens 12. Bengals 13. Browns 

You left out the second game against the Aints which is included. Bro just run your numbers based on 182 games. They don't match any site. NFL.com, CBSS, ESPN, Tankathon, nobody's. You're the one confused.

40 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

34 minutes ago, Cole World said:

So now that we know we only play 13 opponents let add their wins and losses going in order by the way I listed them

1. Saints 12 -2 (14 games) yes we played them twice but you can only count their record once (14 games not 28 games)

2. Panthers 6-8 (14 games)

3. Bucs 5-9 (14 games)

4. Cardinals 3-11 (14 games)

5. Packers 5-8-1 (14 games)

6. Cowboys 8-6 (14 games)

7. Eagles 7-7 (14 games)

8. Giants 5-9 (14 games)

9. Redskins 7-7 (14 games)

10. Steelers 8-5-1 (14 games)

11. Ravens 8-6 (14 games)

12. Bengals 6-8 (14 games)

13. Browns 6-7-1 (14 games)

12+6+5+3+5+8+7+5+7+8+8+6+6=86 wins

2+8+9+11+8+6+7+9+7+5+6+8+7=93 loses

1+1+1= 3 ties

86-93-3

Edited by Cole World

9 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

You left out the second game against the Aints which is included. Bro just run your numbers based on 182 games. They don't match any site. NFL.com, CBSS, ESPN, Tankathon, nobody's. You're the one confused.

Dude you are slow. You can't count Saints record twice. 12-2 is 12-2 not 24-4 as you are indicating.

14 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

And how in the **** did I leave out the 2nd game against the Saints when their record is 12-2? with 2 wins coming against us?

please explain

Edited by Cole World

46 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I showed you how I got 182 games. Show me how you got 196 games through week 15

16 minutes ago, Cole World said:

Dude you are slow. You can't count Saints record twice. 12-2 is 12-2 not 24-4 as you are indicating.

LMAO. It's obvious you don't have a clue about what strength of schedule is.

Bquinn_11 likes this

22 minutes ago, Cole World said:

So now that we know we only play 13 opponents let add their wins and losses going in order by the way I listed them

1. Saints 12 -2 (14 games) yes we played them twice but you can only count their record once (14 games not 28 games)

3. Bucs 5-9 (14 games)

7. Eagles 7-7 (14 games)

8. Giants 5-9 (14 games)

1+1+1= 3 ties

86-93-3

So that would equate to an SOS of .480.

Now go find just one website that agrees with that. You won't. Maybe then you'll realize you're the one who's clueless here.

21 minutes ago, Cole World said:

3. Bucs 5-9 (14 games)

7. Eagles 7-7 (14 games)

8. Giants 5-9 (14 games)

1+1+1= 3 ties

86-93-3

It’s really not that hard. You have to count every game you play. Even against those teams you play twice. Hence Strength of Schedule not Opponent.

It’s not Strength of 13/16 Schedule. 

I almost feel like you’re just F’n with 1970 at this point

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

1 minute ago, Bquinn_11 said:

It’s really not that hard. You have to count every game you play. Even against those teams you play twice. Hence Strength of Schedule not Opponent.

I did. Did you not see my break down above?

2 of Saints 12 wins came against us. If I didn't count the 2nd game it would be 11 wins.

Pay attention

3 minutes ago, Bquinn_11 said:

Good luck bro. Freakin clueless.

7 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

So that would equate to an SOS of .480.

Now go find just one website that agrees with that. You won't. Maybe then you'll realize you're the one who's clueless here.

That's what it is. Surely it's not yours.

Edited by Cole World

4 minutes ago, Cole World said:

I did. Did you not see my break down above?

2 of Saints 12 wins came against us. If I didn't count the 2nd game it would be 11 wins.

Pay attention

Haha. So you count them playing us twice but only count us playing them once? 

I’m not sure you’re qualified to be calling people slow. 

FalconFanSince1970 likes this