mashburn*Fibonacci

How many draft spots did this pointless win affect us?

103 posts in this topic

On 12/17/2018 at 9:52 AM, Gee-Q said:

Yep!  Love my Falcons to death.  Would never root for them to lose.  Besides, the draft is a crap shoot!!

It is, but that's an argument for needing a higher pick. It increases the likelihood of success by either being able to pick a player less likely to fail or trade back and increase odds of hitting by getting more picks.

Bigbenright and vitaman like this

I don't believe that there is such a thing as a pointless win. The purpose of playing the game is to win, and I will ALWAYS prefer a win to a loss. Those of us who go to the games have more fun when the team is playing well. The fans deserve the best effort that the team can give, regardless of the record. If the purpose is to improve draft picks, we would be better off tanking from the beginning of every season for 4 years, then make a run at a Super Bowl with all of our accumulated, yet unused, talent.

3 hours ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

My bad for wanting to improve our team with better potential draft picks. 

Sorry I offended your day of getting off to beating an extremely horrible team that even the yellow jackets could stomp.  

Please continue with your super bowl win feeling.  

There is no guarantee that a player drafted higher will be good

I would be much more concerned long term if the team were willing to just pack it in and actually tank then I am about losing a few spots in the draft.  

Personally I just enjoy watching the Falcons win, even if it is meaningless.

dawgsfan426 and jidady like this

2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

They are wrong too. DET is ahead of us due to their weaker SOS of .503 to our .505.

That's incorrect. Detroit opponents have cumulatively won 1 single game more than ours, so we get the higher pick as of today. 

21 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

That's incorrect. Detroit opponents have cumulatively won 1 single game more than ours, so we get the higher pick as of today. 

Through 14 games our opponents were 96-94-3 (.505). DET's opponents were 97-96-2 (.503). Sorry. Tank on.

4 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Through 14 games our opponents were 96-94-3 (.505). DET's opponents were 97-96-2 (.503). Sorry. Tank on.

I forgot the Browns and Steelers tied, you're right. 

Not a tanker though, I loved Sunday's game.

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

7 hours ago, capologist said:

First, they complain that the team has quit.  Now we win, indicating the team has not quit and that's something to complain about.  It's more tiring than losing...

Tanker logic:

“Play good and don’t quit, but try not to win, and lose in a way that guarantees a high draft pick but doesn’t make me feel like we lost, so I don’t feel like I wasted money buying tickets.   And let the starters play so we feel that it’s not tanking, but reserve the right to retroactively pull their stats from a game we accidentally win.  That’s against the rules but I’m sure Arthur can make it happen.

”Go ahead and lose these last two games to get the better pick, but don’t lose to the bucs or panthers in the process because I hate losing to divisional rivals.

”Make sure we play poorly enough that the OC, DC and ST coordinator get fired, but play well enough so that the positional coaches I like get consideration for promotion.  They need to coach well enough to win, but don’t win, because winning is bad.  Just make sure you lose these two games, but don’t lose to Carolina or Tampa because I can’t stand them.

”Play Julio so I can hear the guys on Fox say nice things about us, but not good enough that we win.   Make sure he gains yards to help my fantasy team, but no garbage time yards because those are for losers.   They need to be important yards, but not important enough that we accidentally win.  Make sure he gets exactly three 70 yard receptions but runs out of bounds at the two yard line.  If this doesn’t happen it just goes to show that Sark is an idiot.

”So go out and not win, but don’t quit, and make it worth my time to watch but make sure you lose in a way that I’m not mad that we lost but no happy about losing, either.

”So go Falcons, and do your best to win. Or lose.  Whatever.”

7 hours ago, falcons007 said:

It’s important this team finishes strong. If there is any one on this team wanting to lose the game for tanking, I want that player and coach fired. You play to win the game, tankers are perennial losers.

It worked for the Pittsburgh Penguins lol

OK so, I think some of you guys are mischaracterizing someone who does not want the Falcons to win anymore this season. First off I have no opinion either way but looking at it from a logical perspective then they have a more valid point. If you look at it in terms of value then the team losing provides a higher draft position, creating value. If they win however you lose that draft pick value. There is a point in wanting your team to win but at this point what do you really win? You may achieve a warm and fuzzy feeling for a day or so but that will cost the team in April. Is it worth it? That is only a question that can be answered on an individual by individual basis.

vitaman likes this

10 hours ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

My bad for wanting to improve our team with better potential draft picks. 

Sorry I offended your day of getting off to beating an extremely horrible team that even the yellow jackets could stomp.  

Please continue with your super bowl win feeling.  

You didn't offend or upset me in any way, shape, form, or fashion. I am a big boy. I can handle other people's opinions, whether I agree or disagree. I will not resort to personal insults and character attacks whether I agree with you or not. I am an adult and can conduct myself accordingly. If I feel as though your opinion is too far gone, outlandish, or foolish, I am free to remove myself from said thread and not respond at all. By responding, I understand that I am, in fact, contributing to your thread and keeping it at the top of the first page. If I have nothing constructive or meaningful to contribute, I may as well sthu, have a coke and a smile, and keep it moving.

Now, with that being said, your stance on this 'tanking' thing is not far out or outlandish. Teams have been known to do it in all professional sports. It is as common as point shaving was back when. The 'pride' talk about winning at this juncture of a losing season is pom pom hogwash. Some former professional athletes who have played in both the NBA and NFL have stated that times like those are perfect for playing role and back-up players to see what they really have, especially when the opponent is a postseason contending team still playing their starters. Should we tank or no? I don't know. However, your opinion holds merit.

Edited by Halcon-1

10 hours ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

https://www.nfl.com/standings/league/2018/REG?sortField=overallWin&sortIsAscending=true

We went from spot 4, to being out of the top ten possibly.  

We have 6 teams ahead of us,  with being tied with 5 others.  

Probably helped us more in FA appeal than it hurt us in draft position. There are three types of FAs that are generally valuable. 1) Those who want to start and are currently backups. 2) Those who want to maximize pay roll.  3) Those who want to go out a winner and have a shot at a ring. The first two categories will come anyway. Being a consistent winner helps you with the 3rd type. Right Tony G.?

7 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

They are wrong too. DET is ahead of us due to their weaker SOS of .503 to our .505.

Every single draft order link I go to has us at 6 except for ESPN

Just now, quotemokc said:

ESPN does it wrong, but it's ESPN so they ignore critics on the subject. For no apparent reason, they only count the games played, not all the games on the schedule. I've been following the draft all my adult life. They're the only people I've seen do it that way. It's maddening.

After watching that game, it would be really hard to lose to the Cardinals.  They were just plain TERRIBLE.

How the h*** they beat a healthy Aaron Rodgers I'll never know.

Halcon-1 likes this

23 minutes ago, jidady said:

ESPN does it wrong, but it's ESPN so they ignore critics on the subject. For no apparent reason, they only count the games played, not all the games on the schedule. I've been following the draft all my adult life. They're the only people I've seen do it that way. It's maddening.

If you're wanting to know where it stands as of that day you should only count the games played, not future games like Tankathon as if those records won't change.

27 minutes ago, quotemokc said:

Keep thinking that. Just wait for the season to end and it will be revealed. In the meantime? Tank on.

6 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Keep thinking that. Just wait for the season to end and it will be revealed. In the meantime? Tank on.

Obviously we will probably have a different draft pick come the end of the season.

This thread is about where we are currently.

Sorry you are wrong.

1 minute ago, quotemokc said:

Obviously we will probably have a different draft pick come the end of the season.

This thread is about where we are currently.

Sorry you are wrong.

If you want to know where we are currently, why would you include records of future opponents when they will change?