Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MAD597

Number of IR players for each team, we are near the bottom

53 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, MAD597 said:

So you don't think the Colts who have 22 guys on IR don't have a few starters out? It's pretty much near impossible from a statistical perspective. If our coaches can't deal with one of the lowest IR totals in the league then they need to be replaced.

Most of the guys on IR for the Colts are either PS players or 3rd string guys. No impact players. We've lost 3 of our top defensive players this year. Doesn't even compare.

If you notice, the teams with the higher salary tied up in injuries are the ones struggling the most. We have the fewest, but still top 10-15 in salary tied up in the IR. 

playing this cookie cutter scheme versus adapting to your players strengths or opponents weaknesses is wearing thin. The 'selling point' of Quinns defensive phylosophy was its easy to learn and you 'play fast'. Bunch of hot air at this point.

3 hours ago, MAD597 said:

Other teams are dealing with the same issues or worse than we are yet our team folds like lawn chairs at the slightest bit of adversity. You don't think the Colts have a few starters in that mix of 22 guys on IR yet they were able to salvage their season and are in the playoff mix? Seams with Seattle at 16 players and KC

Your argument assume the Saints losing their starting long snapper it is exactly same as Falcons losing their starting QB.

I hope you realize how utterly clueless that argument is.

1 hour ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

Most of the guys on IR for the Colts are either PS players or 3rd string guys. No impact players. We've lost 3 of our top defensive players this year. Doesn't even compare.

While I agree with those saying our issues are more than just injuries, at the same time losing both starting safeties and your super star MLB which were the 3 vocal leaders and heart of the defense, not to mention the playcallers.......it was unquestionably an excuse for why our defense took a pounding for a few games until the young and green guys like Kazee and rookie from Yale  Foye got baptized.

That doesn’t excuse the pathetic season Falcons are having but it certainly excuses the drop in defensive playearlier in the season.

Geaux_Falcons likes this

1 hour ago, Smiler11 said:

The timings of our injuries have been what has hurt the most in my opinion. Keanu Neal, Deion Jones and Andy Levitre go down first game of the season. Rico game 2.

Right, it's lazy to list this data by pure numbers. Some of the players are practice squad players, for God's sake. The Falcons lost our safeties and our guards during the first half of the season. Nobody's overcoming that. 

gkgrimes likes this

1 minute ago, gazoo said:

While I agree with those saying our issues are more than just injuries, at the same time losing both starting safeties and your super star MLB which were the 3 vocal leaders and heart of the defense, not to mention the playcallers.......it was unquestionably an excuse for why our defense took a pounding for a few games until the young and green guys like Kazee and rookie from Yale  Foye got baptized.

That doesn’t excuse the pathetic season Falcons are having but it certainly excuses the drop in defensive playearlier in the season.

And there's nothing wrong with believing we have bigger issues, but a lot of fans simply believe injuries don't mean a thing, when in reality they do.

There's some inconsistencies with coaching and faults in philosophy, but when healthy, it hasn't been the sole reason for this season.

You don't simply lose 3 of your best defensive players and 2 starting guards and still win games. It's not always next man up. Backups are backups for a reason. 

gkgrimes likes this

23 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

And there's nothing wrong with believing we have bigger issues, but a lot of fans simply believe injuries don't mean a thing, when in reality they do.

There's some inconsistencies with coaching and faults in philosophy, but when healthy, it hasn't been the sole reason for this season.

You don't simply lose 3 of your best defensive players and 2 starting guards and still win games. It's not always next man up. Backups are backups for a reason. 

Agree. Any team, if it gets hit in certain areas it may have shallow depth, is subject to taking a major blow. No team has adequate depth at every position. OG is an area many teams don’t have good depth, but losing both with little depth really hurt our offense.

I do think it also exposed a deeper issue with being able to consistently put together gameplans that can utilize the tremendous amount of chess pieces we have to work with on offense. We’ve been really inconsistent putting together game plans under Sark, some tha looked great and some that were awful.

for example, last season in playoffs we put up 26points against the Rams defense and had a great game plan, then following week we played Eagles and it looked ok,e we had no game plan whatsoever scoring 10 points and lucky to have scored that many.

I juries started our issues this year and absolutely were an excuse f9r poor play and struggles at times, but I do believe they exposed some deeper weaknesses 

56 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Your argument assume the Saints losing their starting long snapper it is exactly same as Falcons losing their starting QB.

Lol. Give him an A for effort.

OPs post has no context.

gkgrimes, gazoo and Geneaut like this

Looks like we're 2nd highest cap hit per player on IR behind only the 49ers.  Indicative of the quality of players on IR. You know, starters not practice squad players. 

apl2g likes this

just for giggles I went to the Colts site and their roster (today) only list 12 players on IR ------- NOT 22

How you done any checking on the numbers????

6 hours ago, apl2g said:

The question is how many of those players are key starters for the other teams. Yes this team needs depth and a few starters but injuries to key starters hurt them a lot 

Great point 

55 minutes ago, jrydun said:

Looks like we're 2nd highest cap hit per player on IR behind only the 49ers.  Indicative of the quality of players on IR. You know, starters not practice squad players. 

49ers lost a starting QB. Starting QBs will inflate cap numbers

Better comparison is the Seahawks.

7 hours ago, gazoo said:

Pretty sure he does.. just doesn’t stop him from repeatedly spewing nonsense.. 

gazoo and apl2g like this

On 12/16/2018 at 4:33 PM, jrydun said:

And thats with the two most important injured players on rookie deals...

On 12/16/2018 at 5:13 PM, delaigle said:

just for giggles I went to the Colts site and their roster (today) only list 12 players on IR ------- NOT 22

How you done any checking on the numbers????

This...I just went through and looked at well, they have 22 players in reserve/IR NOT ON IR. They only really have 3 starters out for the year,Doyle being one of them but they have Ebron so that's a wash...

As someone else mentioned earlier, the timing of the injuries hurt as well. GJ, Neal, Debo, Freeman were all hurt week one, than came the line guys and Rico. Not that it could ever be proven but I bet if those guys were getting hurt now our record wouldn't be the same. 

This doesn't absolve coaching from blame at all, but it's alot harder to pin point it on that when so many key guys were out from weeks 1-4.

On 12/16/2018 at 11:15 AM, apl2g said:

I think it’s a mixture. The colts have 20 players on IR but only $8 mil in salary. That tells me that it’s a bunch of low level depth players 

I guess Wentz and Ajayi salaries suddenly make them “low level depth players”.

teams are entrusting dudes on rookie deals more than ever.

i just think some fans are looking for an excuse.

20 minutes ago, ant.accurate said:

I guess Wentz and Ajayi salaries suddenly make them “low level depth players”.

teams are entrusting dudes on rookie deals more than ever.

i just think some fans are looking for an excuse.

Nope but if u look at the eagles they went from super bowl champions to a .500 team... clearly injuries hurt them too

In regard to quantity vs quality here's the ranking based on average $ per player.  One could assume the more $ player, the more impactful the loss of that player is. 

Losing 22 scrubs is not as bad as losing 5 stars.

Capture.PNG

gkgrimes and Geneaut like this

Dude, we lost Debo, Neal and Allen on defense and Levitre, Fusco, and Freeman on offense. 

Debo is the Captain of the defense who calls the plays, Neal is the enforcer, and Allen is the centerfielder.  That is a MAJOR hit to the defense.  Debo comes back and after hets a game or two under his belt, we hold a team to 14 points and he had a pick 6.  His injury definitely mattered. 

Ryan was carving defenses up and then he lost his interior linemen and his starting RB.  His numbers dipped and he started getting sacked more.  It's not rocket science.  If you get injuries to key positions, it's tough to overcome. 

If you get a bunch of backups and lose maybe one or two "non-captain" starters, you can overcome it.  We did a few years ago when Trufant went down and still made the SB.  We just got hit hard by the injury bug early in the season.  Look at the Saints.  OL is completely intact and magically Brees is the least sacked QB in the league.  

gkgrimes likes this

On 12/16/2018 at 10:17 AM, caponine said:

this team was in a position to win 4 or 5 more games this season but coaching messed it up. Poor clock management, and situational football, and playcalling. and the inability for Quinn to coach a game efficently

All of this plus coaching staff vastly overrated this team’s depth.