Alot of good cornerbacks to draft

GABLACKBIRD

While I agree we could use another good DB, our priority in FA and the draft needs to be the biggest, meanest, nastiest and best at their position OLs and DLs we can find. Conrad Dobler types. Guys who can be physical and win the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. If we get cute and avoid our most obvious weaknesses AGAIN this year I will be livid. 

I just hope they have the sense to stay in state - Deandre Baker - UGA - possibly mid first round?

I would love for them to draft a DE/DT with a top 10 pick and maybe even consider trading next year's #1 (and this year's #2?) for a 2nd 1st round pick to get him.  The guy would attract fan support, won the 2018 Jim Thorpe award for top college DB, and shut down half the field to UGA opponents.

The one variable is whether Isaiah Oliver will have a good last 3 games this year to convince the Falcons to dump Alford.  If he develops well, Trufant (ain't going nowhere with his cap hit) and Oliver could start next year with Kazee in the nickel spot and hopefully Ricardo and Neal back at the safety spots.

If Oliver looks bad, they definitely will have to consider drafting a CB in the 1st round as they cannot afford to live with Alford around for another year and have too easy of an escape given his low cap hit. 

In either case, though, they might want to draft a CB high to groom to replace Trufant in 2020 or 2021 and just have good depth.

Edited by jlrfalcon

1 hour ago, jlrfalcon said:

The one variable is whether Isaiah Oliver will have a good last 3 games this year to convince the Falcons to dump Alford.  If he develops well, Trufant (ain't going nowhere with his cap hit) and Oliver could start next year with Kazee in the nickel spot and hopefully Ricardo and Neal back at the safety spots.

If Oliver looks bad, they definitely will have to consider drafting a CB in the 1st round as they cannot afford to live with Alford around for another year and have too easy of an escape given his low cap hit. 

In either case, though, they might want to draft a CB high to groom to replace Trufant in 2020 or 2021 and just have good depth.

They may be about to get rid of Alford and Trufant. Oliver is a rookie, and these next 3 games won't really prove anything. He just needs to be coached properly.

2 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

The one variable is whether Isaiah Oliver will have a good last 3 games this year to convince the Falcons to dump Alford.

I like Oliver a lot, but I don't think the Alford decision involves him. Worst in the league is worst in the league. He's played the way that makes the decision to cut him easy, which is regrettable since he's been a core player for us for a long time now.

33 minutes ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

What? I thought I had read multiple times this draft was rubbish at CB. In any case, I believe DL is good so we need to grab a DT and DE at least. We do need at least 1 CB though, I agree with that...just surprised to read that this is a good CB group coming up.

I know Greedy may be there at our first pick, which presents a question if not quandary.we absolutely need a starting DT, but do we cut the bait with Alford, draft Greedy, sign a veteran starting DT in part by some cash from cutting Alford, then trade up into lower part of round one and still get one of the talented DTs left? I believe osiruz threw that out there and quite frankly I’d be ok with that unless TD sees a DT that stands so far above the rest we need to go that way.

it looks like the run on OGs won’t wvwn happen until late round 2 or early round 3 anyway. We have no choice but to sign a veteran OG in FA but we need to draft one too.

Now, FFS70 wants us take a lon* snapper if that is best but I disagree.

I am expecting Trufant and Oliver on the edges and Kazee in the slot next year. Still need to add some more you talent to develop Incase Tru doesn’t rebound. And for the love of god let Wilson get some snaps, he could be our best CB this year based on his past performance in small samples.

8 hours ago, Faithful Falcon said:

They may be about to get rid of Alford and Trufant. Oliver is a rookie, and these next 3 games won't really prove anything. He just needs to be coached properly.

7 hours ago, jidady said:

I like Oliver a lot, but I don't think the Alford decision involves him. Worst in the league is worst in the league. He's played the way that makes the decision to cut him easy, which is regrettable since he's been a core player for us for a long time now.

These back my point - the Falcons only need a very small sample size (3 games) to show that Oliver is better than the worst (Alford) and is showing upward progress. 

It would really take very poor games from Oliver (multiple touchdowns, missed tackles, dropped interceptions, penalties called on, etc.) to look like a worse option in the long term than the expensive Alford.

10 hours ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Only way Tru gets let go if he's traded. That's when he'll turn into his brother's and be a legit cb smh.. 

11 hours ago, marvinthemartian said:

While I agree we could use another good DB, our priority in FA and the draft needs to be the biggest, meanest, nastiest and best at their position OLs and DLs we can find. Conrad Dobler types. Guys who can be physical and win the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. If we get cute and avoid our most obvious weaknesses AGAIN this year I will be livid. 

Exactly. Best CB in the world can’t help you if your dline is trash

2 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

These back my point - the Falcons only need a very small sample size (3 games) to show that Oliver is better than the worst (Alford) and is showing upward progress. 

It would really take very poor games from Oliver (multiple touchdowns, missed tackles, dropped interceptions, penalties called on, etc.) to look like a worse option in the long term than the expensive Alford.

You're picking on Alford alone, so do not try to piggy back off of me with that. Trufant has been garbage for all but 1 season. However, coaching is a problem of them all. Trufant discovered press coverage over the last few weeks, and his play has improved. If we can see it on film, so can the coaches. Too bad that we've lost a bunch of games due to these small things.