MilleniumFalcon

Spotrac - Possible Falcons 2019 cap casualties

32 posts in this topic

Mohamed Sanu 2019 Cap: $7.4 million.
Pre 6/1 Trade/Release
$2.8M ($4.6M savings)
Post 6/1 Trade/Release
$1.4M ($6M savings), $1.4M 2020 dead cap

To be honest, this decision relies heavily on the state of the Falcons this winter. If they look to break it down and start over, the trading Julio Jones makes a little more sense here. Sanu's on pace to have his typical year, but with Calvin Ridley in the wings, he's expendable.

===

Ryan Schraeder 2019 Cap: $7.75 million.
Pre 6/1 Trade/Release
$3.8M ($3.95M savings)

Post 6/1 Trade/Release
$1.3M ($6.45M savings), $2.5M 2020 dead cap

Once one of the top-rated RTs in all of football, Schraeder's play has fallen off a cliff in 2018. If the Falcons start making sweeping changes to this team, he could be one.

===

Vic Beasley 2019 Cap: $12,810,000.
Pre 3/13 Release

$0 ($12.81M savings)

Post 3/13 Trade
$0 ($12.81M savings)

Post 3/13 Release
$12.81M ($0 savings)

The Falcons were hoping that an increase in snaps would bring back the 2016 version of Vic Beasley. But it's more of the same from 2017 unfortunately. It's hard to imagine Atlanta keeping him on the $12.81M 5th-year option now.

===

Robert Alford 2019 Cap: $9,100,000.
Pre 6/1 Trade/Release
$1.2M ($7.9M savings)

Post 6/1 Trade/Release
$600,000 ($8.5M savings), $600,000 2020 dead cap

Alford's one of the worst-rated CBs in all of football according to PFF despite playing 90% of the Falcons' defensive snaps in 2018. Expect plenty of movement out of ATL.

https://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/potential-2019-nfl-roster-bubbles-819/

7 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

For the first time in a while, I’m expecting the falcons to actually make a big move in free agency this offseason. They’ll actually have the money for it 

If they don't make at least one big FA move, then Quinn and Lucytroff gonna have some splain'in to do.   :ninja:

5 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

On my first cut at a 2019 off season retooling plan Sanu made y team. 

I'll be watching him these last three games though.

Agree. Sanu is very dependable, but I'm not sure he's indispensable.

The big what if this offseason really is Grady Jarrett - if they sign him early and know what he is going to cost and whether they will be able to push his salary to the future, they will have lots of cap space.  However, if they cannot sign him quick and maybe even have to franchise tag him at the end, his hit on the cap will be huge ($13.1 million).

1 hour ago, falconsd56 said:

He is a fa......no need to cut him

Oh, Okay. I thought they added year(s) when they restructured his deal. Thanks for clarifying!

Falcons would be complete idiots to start a rebuild, as stated in the Sanu section. Trading Julio is dumb. This team is still one of the more talented rosters in the league, even with the regression of several players. We’ll compete next year. 

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Stopped reading at Sanu being a cap casualty. Did anyone know over the past 3 years he is the highest graded receiver on out routes in the NFL.   Ryan’s rating is over 130 when throwing to Sanu on an out route.  So many people would be gone before Sanu

On top of it all, he only needs 154 yards (53 YPG) in these last 3 games & he will have the most yards in a season of his entire career. If he can get 3 TDs over these next 3 games, that would also give him a career best.

Consider he's doing that with Riley eating targets & an improved Hooper doing the same, and it's even more impressive.

Dude's been rock solid since arriving in ATL, gives the offense a genuine threat with the wildcard wrinkle a couple times a year, and his production is right in line with what he's getting paid. Gotta think there are far more guys ahead of him as potential cuts.

Sanu should not be cut by any means but I get the argument when looking at his cap. If they bring in a new OC, you'll want guys Matt is comfortable with and Sanu is Mr. Third Down for #2. I do hope they add a burner in the mid rounds though. That's the biggest issue with the WR corps. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

1 hour ago, vel said:

Sanu should not be cut by any means but I get the argument when looking at his cap. If they bring in a new OC, you'll want guys Matt is comfortable with and Sanu is Mr. Third Down for #2. I do hope they add a burner in the mid rounds though. That's the biggest issue with the WR corps. 

Hall? Gage?

So it will look something like---  (until someone signs)

Matthews  Brunskill(ps)

Schweitzer  Harlow(ps)             Levitre gone

Mack  Hassenauer(ps)

Fusco   Garland      

Sambrailo Beadles  Gono         Schraeder cut

Or will some of these also be FAs?

NOT LOOKING GOOD --- only 2 worth keeping

4 hours ago, delaigle said:

So it will look something like---  (until someone signs)

Matthews  Brunskill(ps)

Schweitzer  Harlow(ps)             Levitre gone

Mack  Hassenauer(ps)

Fusco   Garland      

Sambrailo Beadles  Gono         Schraeder cut

Or will some of these also be FAs?

NOT LOOKING GOOD --- only 2 worth keeping

Most OL have a weak link. Fix LG and RT and Fusco is fine. He's basically Chris Chester at that point. 

Ergo Proxy and Geaux_Falcons like this

16 minutes ago, vel said:

Most OL have a weak link. Fix LG and RT and Fusco is fine. He's basically Chris Chester at that point. 

Seriously? Fusco is basically Chris Chester :lol: