Case to fire Quinn this offseason

The Smart One

I think the Falcons need to move on from Quinn this offseason. I believe that while Quinn is a quality coach in the end he’s not a great head coach. I’m going to try and make the case he should be fired after this year. 

1. The Brotherhood. The brotherhood has been a constant since Quinn arrived however it seems to resonate less and less these days especially since the Super Bowl. I believe the players are viewing him more as an unadapting motivational speaker then a head coach. 

2. The Super Bowl. Yes it’s been a couple years now but Quinn has to be held responsible for making us an absolute laughing stock. 

3. Coaches. Here is where a lot of Quinn’s WTF moments have shown up. Prominent examples include hiring Sark to replace Shanny and then in addition not letting him install his own offense. Also why is Raheem Morris coaching WRs while MM is the DC. Also how does Armstrong have a job. Our special teams have been pretty bad. I think the coaching hires really highlight why Quinn is not the CEO type coach the team needs. 

4. In game management. Quinn has shown time and time again that he manages games poorly. He goes for it on 4th down a lot when taking the points would make more sense. He’s also lost several games this year due to poor timeout/challenge management. 

In summation Quinn can’t manage a game.  When it came time for him to make changes to his coaching staff he’s made questionable decision after questionable decision. The players are starting to tune him out and Quinn is responsible for our franchise becoming a meme. He needs to be replaced. 

I’m interested in hearing everyone else’s thoughts. 

You can't fire Quinn after this one season.

You can start building a case for it and you can demand changes to staff be made, but you have to give him at least another year to turn things around. As a team owner, you have invested too much to just clean house and start over after a SB and then a follow up playoff season.

It won’t happen. But I’d fire Quinn if this was my team. He doesn’t do anything great as a head coach.

1)He’s hired and stuck by Sark who everyone hates. 

2) defensive scheme is boring as ****. Hardly blitz. Soft coverage. Doesn’t work. 

3) makes poor decisions as a coach

4)makes poor personnel decision such as deactivating Senat. 

5) I hate all the brotherhood stuff. Have since day 1. I hate the way he talks. I hate positive this and positive that. It’s just not my style. 

1 hour ago, The Smart One said:

I could see the argument that Quinn get another year but of course the risk is that we waste a year of Ryan and Julio who are the 2 hardest to replace players on the roster. If Quinn’s not the guy best to move on. 

Nah, he'll be here another year, at least.

But if they did fire him this off-season, who would we move on to?

1 hour ago, PokerSteve said:

Blank isn't going to fire Quinn after giving him and TD 3-year contract extensions a few months ago. However, he is unlikely to survive another season in which the team plays as sloppy and uninspired as it has over the last month.

This is I think the main reason Quinn is safe even if we lose the last 3 games. However if we struggle next year he could get the axe.I expect Sark and Manuel to get thrown under the bus and replaced as soon as this season ends.The team has looked like crap and Quinn looks lost on game day.

5 minutes ago, thofin21 said:

This is I think the main reason Quinn is safe even if we lose the last 3 games. However if we struggle next year he could get the axe.I expect Sark and Manuel to get thrown under the bus and replaced as soon as this season ends.The team has looked like crap and Quinn looks lost on game day.

Yep. I'm sure Blank would like this Quinn-TD regime to last for decades and stability does have its place. But the fan base is starting to turn on Quinn. If/when the fans finally do throw in the towel on him and MBS starts looking like even more of a ghost barn, Blank will have no choice but to fire him.

2 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Yep. I'm sure Blank would like this Quinn-TD regime to last for decades and stability does have its place. But the fan base is starting to turn on Quinn. If/when the fans finally do throw in the towel on him and MBS starts looking like even more of a ghost barn, Blank will have no choice but to fire him.

Ironically enough Blank's other team, Alanta United is playing great and winning the Championship,  probably selling more tickets than the Falcons. 

1 minute ago, thofin21 said:

Ironically enough Blank's other team, Alanta United is playing great and winning the Championship,  probably selling more tickets than the Falcons. 

Yeah, with the right coach you can win a league championship in just two years. Imagine that! I know. I can't either! :bang:

1 hour ago, The Smart One said:

I think the Falcons need to move on from Quinn this offseason. I believe that while Quinn is a quality coach in the end he’s not a great head coach. I’m going to try and make the case he should be fired after this year. 

1. The Brotherhood. The brotherhood has been a constant since Quinn arrived however it seems to resonate less and less these days especially since the Super Bowl. I believe the players are viewing him more as an unadapting motivational speaker then a head coach. 

2. The Super Bowl. Yes it’s been a couple years now but Quinn has to be held responsible for making us an absolute laughing stock. 

3. Coaches. Here is where a lot of Quinn’s WTF moments have shown up. Prominent examples include hiring Sark to replace Shanny and then in addition not letting him install his own offense. Also why is Raheem Morris coaching WRs while MM is the DC. Also how does Armstrong have a job. Our special teams have been pretty bad. I think the coaching hires really highlight why Quinn is not the CEO type coach the team needs. 

4. In game management. Quinn has shown time and time again that he manages games poorly. He goes for it on 4th down a lot when taking the points would make more sense. He’s also lost several games this year due to poor timeout/challenge management. 

In summation Quinn can’t manage a game.  When it came time for him to make changes to his coaching staff he’s made questionable decision after questionable decision. The players are starting to tune him out and Quinn is responsible for our franchise becoming a meme. He needs to be replaced. 

I’m interested in hearing everyone else’s thoughts. 

I think you can make a case for it but this may be a Rankin Smith situation where ownership just doesn't want to make waves and do the prudent think.

Quinn is learning. Dude should be a 2 time superbowl champ with 1 as DC and 1 as HC. However with questionable decisions from his HC and from him as a HC he is 1-1 in Superbowls. Take a look around and his first 3 years are as good and better than any 3 years from any other coach. Game management is definitely a concern and his coaching hires/moves leave a lot to be desired. This offseason he has some cleaning up to do. I feel like he should be calling the defense. Its his calling. He is great at that. Be like Rex and own your own defense. Same way McCarthy or Sean Payton or Todd Mcvay own their offenses. ST needs an overhaul coaching wise and at the PR position. We need a real OC. Someone who puts guys in best position to succeed but also who tightens up every aspect offensively. Sark isnt it. Quinn gets a small pass this year but we have to flip our record next year. 

Thing that kills me that the Falcons rarely under Smitty till his last year, had losing streaks. Quinn now has had two seasons out of 4 with extended losing streaks. Dont think he will come close to recapturing the magic of 2016 again, but two years have shown he has a penchant for running off long 5-7 game losing streaks. I like Quinn plopped down on the say the Jets his stuff might work, but its old hat here, they are closer to the playoffs with new energy new outlook,new approach of another staff, than the same tunes blaring at practice. Watching the Chargers go into KC and upset them with 3 starters out, and without time to adjust, shows he hasnt prepared or chosen his second string well either. We have seen Quinn's ceiling that took the 7th best offense in history to even get there, and have lived in his basement 2 other years. At some point the rah rah ends and x's and o's take over, and then Quinn has no answer just soft zone ********, hope his players that are less and less motivated beat the guy in front of them.