Falcons Fan MVP

I just spoke to former Falcons wide receiver Terrance Mathis and asked his opinion of Sark and this what he said.

80 posts in this topic

I love it.  Former Falcon player who doesn't play for the team anymore says Sark is Fine.  He doesn't say Sark is a great coach or a great offensive Mind, he is just FINE.  

Another example of why Falcon fans always accept bad to mediocre talent FOR NO REASON.  Thank god Atlanta United won something, because maybe they have a philosophy that actually works. 

roguebeaver likes this

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

You know exactly what it means. Means he thinks Sark is better than you guys claim. 

K, he is entitled, as am I and others! Nuff said. 

5 hours ago, TheUsualStuff said:

....or it cpuld be that a former player doesn't want to publically speak out against his former team's coaching staff.

I believe he said it if you say so, but I don't believe it means anything worthwhile.

Agree with you Mathis is not all that likely to throw shade at the OC of his former team. There is no possible way Sark, even after a couple of seasons of OJT, could match what Kubiak would bring to the OC position here, especially with our talent level on offense.

Way back in the day Mathis came and spoke at my elementary school in Stone Mountain. At the end of it all the kids rushed him and asked him when was Vick taking over for Chandler. He wouldn't answer. 

Pros do it all the time avoiding answers.

10 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Believe me, I admitted to eating Crow on Sark after the Redskins game.  He finally put together a string of excellent games.  I was happy for him.  And all blame should absolutely not fall on him.  Can’t account for injuries...but I don’t think he is good at adjusting in game.  When forced off script we tend to stay on script.  And he is too pass happy.  Even when the run game struggles, keep trying.  It helps a depleted OL.  But we run 34% of the time.

Bottom line, Falcons have not eclipsed 20 points since November 4th.  It’s just not working which is the fault of more than Sark

If you rewatch the Packers game last week, you'll see we ran the ball often and efficiently that game.  He was not pass happy.  It helped our depleted Oline.  Bonus:  Not a single toss play was called.   Interestingly,  a sizable chunk of fans are upset that he refuses to abandon the run.  Me thinks people just attach themselves to any reason to criticize sark.  

Edited by Phillup11
Schwarzwald likes this

12 hours ago, vel said:

Give Sark an NFL caliber running back and NFL caliber OL and see what happens...

Yeah, honestly. We've been nothing since Levitre's injuries last 2 years and RG minus Chester.

Oh, and no Freeman.

Did anyone forget why we lost the SB? We kept trying to pass after a few bad run attempts with Coleman/Schraeder going down and Mack having 1 & 1/2 legs as game wore on.

Give Sark that run game.

I think Sark is on a big bell curve of learning on the job for sure, but in the NFL it will breed results or failure. Right now, like the defense earlier in the season when the offense was LIGHTING IT UP, the offense is figured out since we COULDNT keep teams honest FOREVER without a run game.

It's a miracle Ryan has had such a good year and the red zone offense and 3rd down offense has been leading the league or near the top EVEN in spite of the bad few weeks now.

I agree with Vel and others.

Proof will be this offseason. Problem is people just want to think in terms of a 'scapegoat' to feel better.

Ignoring the OL situation and Freeman's absence would be like giving up on the D completely when Jarrett/Neal/Debo/Allen all went down first few weeks of the year. That's your core defense. We are missing our core/foundation on offense. The WCO is really built on play-action and a run threat.

7 hours ago, falcons007 said:

I think Raheem Morris May be bigger problem here. 

In terms of on job training, Morris is way behind Sark. That's only logical. He is younger than Sark and was an NFL player not too long ago. BIG difference. He is basically what negative people think Sark is actually. Not necessarily a problem with a simplistic defense and with DQ being the HC. I just think our overall talent was lacking. Takk and Vic are not studs. We need help next to Grady still and other LBs.

I can totally see us focusing on LB/DE/DT and another CB this offseason. 100%

Get a FA OG and pressure onto Schraeder/other OL moves...with a healthy Free? We'll be back on offense. Need more talent infused into the D and stability infused into the OL. That'll be more security than worrying about Free's health or keeping Tevin or any RB at that rate. After all, most people arguing for never keeping Free was due to the RBBC strat. Coleman is a weapon not a guy that will make more out of less like Free.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

In terms of on job training, Morris is way behind Sark. That's only logical. He is younger than Sark and was an NFL player not too long ago. BIG difference. He is basically what negative people think Sark is actually. Not necessarily a problem with a simplistic defense and with DQ being the HC. I just think our overall talent was lacking. Takk and Vic are not studs. We need help next to Grady still and other LBs.

I can totally see us focusing on LB/DE/DT and another CB this offseason. 100%

Get a FA OG and pressure onto Schraeder/other OL moves...with a healthy Free? We'll be back on offense. Need more talent infused into the D and stability infused into the OL. That'll be more security than worrying about Free's health or keeping Tevin or any RB at that rate. After all, most people arguing for never keeping Free was due to the RBBC strat. Coleman is a weapon not a guy that will make more out of less like Free.

Morris was a DB and DB coach. DQ needs to get a real WR coach. I don’t think Sark is safe, next 3 weeks will probably decide his fate.

HASHBROWN3 likes this

15 hours ago, Vandy said:

Again, no running back, and a broken OL.

But I hear you. I just don’t understand all the Sark venom as bad as the defense has been. Hardly see any of these ‘fire Manuel’ threads when our defense is #1 reason why this year’s team is not a playoff team. That and poor situational coaching by Quinn. 

Quinn was hired to fix the D. 4 years in, he obviously hasn’t. 

Manuel is terrible. Quinn needs someone competent to run this defense or he can go. I'm sick of it. Wasting the prime years of some great players.

vel and Vandy like this

16 hours ago, Vandy said:

Quinn was hired to fix the D. 4 years in, he obviously hasn’t. 

In this regard, my "Quinn is Smitty 2.0" wisecracks go from sarcastic to literal. What is it with us hiring defensive guys for a HC who can't put together a defense?

Vandy likes this

On 12/15/2018 at 0:11 AM, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I spoke to Terrance Mathis briefly on social media and asked him if he thinks Gary Kubiak would help our offense or if we should stick with Sark. His exact words were "Sark is fine". I trust his opinion more than any of ours because he would have a better understanding of the game than we do. Just wanted to pass that along. 

Explain what you mean by "briefly on social media" please 

And I'm not saying ur full of bs, but you don't even know how to spell his name correctly 

Edited by ⚡Slumerican⚡

3 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Explain what you mean by "briefly on social media" please 

And I'm not saying ur full of bs, but you don't even know how to spell his name correctly 

Direct message on Twitter. He actually follows me on there. I got lucky on that. He is the only Falcons player to follow me. I just asked his opinion. I wish I knew what Matt Ryan and Julio really thought. If they thought Sark was a problem I'm sure they'd go to Blank or somebody. 

19 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Agree with you Mathis is not all that likely to throw shade at the OC of his former team. There is no possible way Sark, even after a couple of seasons of OJT, could match what Kubiak would bring to the OC position here, especially with our talent level on offense.

I agree

PokerSteve likes this

We’ve been out both starting OGs essentially since the SB. Haven’t had a complete line that could run the ball consistently since those 5 when they started all 16. Wes hasn’t been the guy and Andy has been hurt; then Wes hopeful replacement at RG this year went down after only a handful of games. To top it off, Schraeder is a shell of his former 15/16 season self.

This board will never be able to properly evaluate Sark by comparing him to 2016 and Kyle until we see what the offense can do with a similar caliber OL. Levitre and Chester weren’t world beaters but that just shows how BAD the current starting OG situation is. It’s also a real possibility Schraeder isn’t starting here next year; if he is here at all.

Plus, we’ve basically given up on Ortiz and the FB position post-DiMarco.

All of that ignores Free’s health compared with Kyle’s stint.

The efforts we pretend to be able to evaluate Sark just because talking heads get ratings over it BECAUSE we don’t truly know or are among those that believe they can call it and look for confirmation?

It’s just a waste of time and energy. It’ll be what it’ll be. Let it be. Let’s get some starting caliber OGs, perhaps a RT upgrade, and a health RB1. That’s literally all I care about. In the end, you need players that let you run the ball. We are lacking that but Sark gets blamed for it.

Fine. Let’s go back to Koetter or some other OC and pretend the run game issues will go away.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

8 minutes ago, RLD said:

The Falcons on offense are predictable. A couple of years ago under Mike S., They weren't predictable. Seems they could move the ball at-will. Last yr. they used the excuse, it is Sark's 1st. yr., this yr. they use the excuse, it's the injuries on defense that cause's our bad offense. They need to use the 1st. pick they have on an OL guy. Plus Matty Choke wasn't worth the money he got. It has hurt the team. He has pitter-patter-feet. He hop's around like a bunny. 

LOL... have a clue bro.  

Schwarzwald likes this

7 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

LOL... have a clue bro.  

When people speak truth, its hard for others to take.  Sark is NO GOOD.  I don't care what level of football it is.  He called ONE good game his whole time here.  It was vs the Redskins and even then, it may have been a fluke.  

OH IF ONLY he had x y z a b c d e f g, Sark would be GREAT!

In the NFL, your going to have players drop, you have to adapt and work around it.  

25 minutes ago, R_The_Great said:

When people speak truth, its hard for others to take.  Sark is NO GOOD.  I don't care what level of football it is.  He called ONE good game his whole time here.  It was vs the Redskins and even then, it may have been a fluke.  

OH IF ONLY he had x y z a b c d e f g, Sark would be GREAT!

In the NFL, your going to have players drop, you have to adapt and work around it.  

The entire last portion of his post he was drooling on himself.  

23 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

The entire last portion of his post he was drooling on himself.  

Again, someone who cant handle the truth.  Oh yeah btw, Falcons losing by a touchdown now to the FN Cardinals.  THE CARDINALS!!!  WTF man