Goober Pyle

Former Falcons OL Bill Fralic passes away..

46 posts in this topic

Prayers up.

Incredible O lineman.

Put things into perspective moments.

We went to a scab game during the strike year in the 80's.  We were going to give the striking players a piece of our mind.

Reality check.  I walked past Bill Fralic...................his leg made 1 of me.

PokerSteve likes this

https://pittsburghpanthers.com/news/2018/12/14/football-legendary-pitt-offensive-lineman-bill-fralic-passes-away.aspx

Legendary Pitt Offensive Lineman Bill Fralic Passes Away

12/14/2018 11:30:00 AM

PITTSBURGH—Bill Fralic, who set new standards of greatness for offensive linemen during his accomplished career at the University of Pittsburgh, passed away on Thursday following a battle with cancer. He was 56 years old.

Fralic was a four-year fixture on Pitt's punishing offensive lines from 1981-84. He was a three-time first team All-American, including unanimous status as a junior and senior. Fralic became the first offensive lineman to twice finish in the top 10 of the Heisman Trophy balloting, placing sixth in 1984 and eighth in 1983.

Fralic's collegiate career led to the phrase "Pancake Block" being added to the football lexicon. Pitt publicists used "Pancakes" as a statistical barometer for each time Fralic put an opposing defensive lineman on his back.

His positional coach at Pitt, the late Joe Moore, was one of the nation's most highly respected teachers of offensive line play. Said Moore of his star offensive tackle: "Bill Fralic is the best. If you can find somebody better, bring him to me. I've been privileged to coach some good ones here, but none better than Bill Fralic. Those kind only pass through once."

The second player taken overall in the 1985 NFL Draft, Fralic went on to an exceptional pro career from 1985-93, playing eight years with the Atlanta Falcons and his final season with the Detroit Lions. He was selected to the Pro Bowl four times and was a two-time All-Pro. Fralic additionally was named to the NFL 1980s All-Decade Team.

Fralic's No. 79 jersey was retired by Pitt at halftime of his final home game in 1984, a 21-10 win over Tulane. He would go on to be enshrined in the College Football Hall of Fame in 1998.

A Western Pennsylvania native, Fralic became the first sophomore to letter in football at Penn Hills High School. He also became a WPIAL heavyweight wrestling champion for the Indians, compiling a 98-7 record on the mat.

Fralic was a member of the inaugural class of the WPIAL Hall of Fame in 2007. He was also a member of the inaugural Pitt Athletics Hall of Fame class that was enshrined this past September.

In 1989, he established Bill Fralic Insurance, which became a leader in specialized commercial trucking insurance. Fralic also did radio analyst work for the Atlanta Falcons and Pitt football.

"Bill Fralic was not only an all-time player at the University of Pittsburgh, but also an all-time human being," Pitt head football coach Pat Narduzzi said. "His generosity, support and concern for others was unmatched. For as hulking a figure as he was, Billy was even larger in his kindness and passion for others. He leaves a wonderful legacy that goes well beyond football at Pitt, Penn Hills and all of Western Pennsylvania. Our hearts and prayers are with his wife, Susan, and all of his loved ones."   

"Bill is truly one of the iconic figures in the history of Pitt Athletics," Director of Athletics Heather Lyke said. "He set a tremendous standard for our current generation of student-athletes, not only as an athlete but also for what he went on to accomplish once his playing days concluded. Bill's reputation for giving back might even transcend his Hall of Fame football career. He was a passionate supporter of Pitt and Penn Hills. Our deepest sympathies to his wife, Susan, and his many loved ones and friends."  

Memorial arrangements will be announced at a later date.

he was really special!

my best friend and i went down to training camp one year in sewanee and in between the two practices we wondered into the hotel area--and in walked bill fralic.  my best friend had named his dog (chow breed) Fralic-after the falcons lineman and as bill was walking by my friend said mr. fralic--and he grumbled, "yeah" and my buddy said-i named my dog after you!  fralic looked down at us and said, "oh yeah, what kind of dog is it."?  he said a chow and it's really mean!  and fralic said, "well that's ok then!"  

he was so intimidating and big--but once we told him the dog was a chow--he was cool with it!

PokerSteve and rounz like this

11 minutes ago, Gold4425 said:

I loss my brother to Cancer last week. Cancer is a beast!

I am very sorry about your brother.  That had to be a hard thing to endure.

citsalp likes this

The greatest guard in franchise history, and one of the top overall players. He played the game clean and was never afraid to speak out against those who didn’t.

What a loss. :(

RIP.  I remember for a while he was the only Falcons player to make the pro-bowl.  Really good player.

Edited by isproab

That’s terrible, Rest In Peace brother. One of the best to ever play the game, should’ve lived to see himself inducted into the hall of fame.

1 hour ago, isproab said:

RIP.  I remember for a while he was the only Falcons player to make the pro-bowl.  Really good player.

Yep. These days everyone has that “never draft a guard in the 1st” mentality, but Fralic was the 2nd overall pick in the draft & was consistently great for the Falcons.

Sincere thanks to all of you. He was a great family man. Straight up guy. We'll miss him. I've decided to get more involved  in volunteering. I'm also writing a heartfelt  movie drama about cancer. If it is ever optioned I will donate some of the proceeds to cancer. It is so hard seeing a normally healthy man's body ravished so fast by cancer. Whew Cancer is a BEAST!

NCFalconfan, Vandy and Lowndesfalc like this

3 hours ago, Gold4425 said:

I loss my brother to Cancer last week. Cancer is a beast!

My condolences.  I've been there  (too often, though once is more than enough of that pain).