Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
falcndave

Shanahan Carried Ryan?

70 posts in this topic

Nobody "carried" anybody. The Ryan/Shanahan connection was a symbiotic relationship that brought out the best of both. Ryan had to expand his repertoire by rolling out and becoming more mobile, Kyle had to shape his offense around Ryan's strengths, which were more than enough to operate his offense at an extremely high level.

Shanahan left the Falcons too soon for that duo to win a SB, and that's a shame for both of them. Now that they've gone their separate ways, I have doubts either will ever get a SB championship separately.

Halcon-1 likes this

2 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

That’s actually incredibly inaccurate. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/summary/NFL_20181007_ATL@PIT/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/summary/NFL_20181111_ATL@CLE/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/summary/NFL_20181122_ATL@NO/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/summary/NFL_20181209_ATL@GB/

According to these 4th quarter drive summaries we gained 387 yards of total offense and 3 TDs in those four games. So you’re definitely wrong on the garbage time stats. 

I stand corrected.

Thanks for taking the time to look that up. Seriously because I was curious 

Sidecar Falcon likes this

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I stand corrected.

Thanks for taking the time to look that up. Seriously because I was curious 

It’s cool. We all make mistakes. I’m honesty not trying to be a d0uche by saying this, but thank you for admitting you made a mistake. There aren’t a lot of people that do that on this board, so I appreciate it. 

I was curious as well. Looking at some of these fourth quarter stats and it’s even more d@mning for Sark than I originally thought. I felt like there was no sense of urgency to win in some of our games. 

Faithful Falcon and PokerSteve like this

3 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Pretty much an overreaction if not hate. 

Rodgers has higher percentage of garbage yards and TD than Ryan,  not even close. If you look at Brees from their crappy defensive years, it’s highest in nfl. 

Yep, and I called him hating because we've been pretty much in every game. He probably had garbage yards on the last drive of each of those games, but the rest we're legit.

6 hours ago, The Architect said:

Nah no carrying involved, I just think they worked well together. It was mutually beneficial.

I can be long winded lol so I'll only use an example for each.

Ryan had to work on his mobility and that's helped him with extending plays, scrambles for yardage, and accuracy on the move.

Whereas Shanahan got a veteran QB who could not only understand all the verbiage within his system, but execute it at a high level and critique it's weak points (he mentioned in a presser a few weeks ago that Matt helped him improve on some of the setup plays to use and his situational awareness in when to use them).

Exactly. I think that second year with Shanny showed what an OC/QB combo that really click together can really do.

PokerSteve likes this

7 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Both Ryan and Shanny are special at their respective jobs.  With regards to the 49ers, $57,000,000 of their CAP is on IR.  Nobody is winning with such a handicap.  Shanny did a great job getting an unknown 3rd string QB prepared this year

Totally agree, this was my point. If your average under bad circumstances and elite in good company, your pretty darn good at your job. 

7 hours ago, The Architect said:

Nah no carrying involved, I just think they worked well together. It was mutually beneficial.

I can be long winded lol so I'll only use an example for each.

Ryan had to work on his mobility and that's helped him with extending plays, scrambles for yardage, and accuracy on the move.

Whereas Shanahan got a veteran QB who could not only understand all the verbiage within his system, but execute it at a high level and critique it's weak points (he mentioned in a presser a few weeks ago that Matt helped him improve on some of the setup plays to use and his situational awareness in when to use them).

Very good post. Thanks for the response! 

6 hours ago, BLM said:

What are you talking about?  He's on his 3rd string QB and that QB has 93.5 QB rating.

My OP is pretty light hearted stuff. At the end of the day, two greats meet. They perform at historic levels together. They part, and suddenly both are taking flack because their just "good" when surrounded by commoners. 

Vandy likes this

Shanny is a god-tier OC. Ryan is a near elite QB on his own. Together they were almost unstoppable, but we’re the Falcons so of course we didn’t get more than a year of it once they were on the same page

3 minutes ago, falcon22 said:

It is crazy to think that Ryan still has 28 TD passes, only 6 INTs, over 4000 yards, a 70 percent completion percentage and a 108 rating as a passer. 

But he sucks lmfao

/purple

Ergo Proxy likes this

39 minutes ago, Dirtybird56 said:

Shanny is a god-tier OC. Ryan is a near elite QB on his own. Together they were almost unstoppable, but we’re the Falcons so of course we didn’t get more than a year of it once they were on the same page

Unfortunately “God Tier” OCs get snatched for Head Coaching gigs quickly. That’s why there aren’t too many around. Then if they don’t work out they go back to being coordinators and the offensive schemes/players pass them by. 

1 hour ago, falcon22 said:

It is crazy to think that Ryan still has 28 TD passes, only 6 INTs, over 4000 yards, a 70 percent completion percentage and a 108 rating as a passer. 

Remember, it's not him. Julio is throwing that ball to himself, Sanu, Hooper, Ridley, and Coleman. America gave us ESPN, and we stop using logic. Lol!!!

Ergo Proxy likes this

Ryan wasn't a rookie, Ryan was a battle tested veteran with top tier career stats before KS got here. Are people stupid? How could anyone think KS carried Ryan given Ryan's career up to that point?

PokerSteve and Ergo Proxy like this

10 hours ago, falcons007 said:

That’s true for most QB with losing records. Brees has those seasons with 5400 yards when the team was losing.

Every QB has garbage time stats. It's just another thing only Matt does apparently.

No other QB has stats. Games stop when it's over before the game is over.

/28-3

/thread

10 hours ago, falcons007 said:

KS  is a good coach but he didn’t sniff greatness until he came here. It was very good match and he probably left too soon. Just Like Josh McDaniels, he will probably get fired in 2 years as HC and become an OC. Outside of 2012, KS had pretty mediocre offenses.

Oook. If you say so. . . .

7 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Nobody "carried" anybody. The Ryan/Shanahan connection was a symbiotic relationship that brought out the best of both. Ryan had to expand his repertoire by rolling out and becoming more mobile, Kyle had to shape his offense around Ryan's strengths, which were more than enough to operate his offense at an extremely high level.

Shanahan left the Falcons too soon for that duo to win a SB, and that's a shame for both of them. Now that they've gone their separate ways, I have doubts either will ever get a SB championship separately.

All the way this!

PokerSteve likes this

12 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

I don’t agree that Ryan bailed out Smitty. It was combination.The reality is MS made the team practice situational football. Ryan and offense executed like clock work. The falcons were leading the nfl in final 2 minutes of half and end of the game most of Smitty Era. Ryan’s MS talked about it many times. MS rarely wasted time outs until final 2 mins of halves. 

mqg96 and Vandy like this

7 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

No. Lol.

Coaches make the players. . . . Even the greatest player is reduced to the gen pop with a poor coach. Fans overrate players and under rate great coaches and coaching. Look at Falcons offense under TD. . . no SB appearance till that historic offense in 2016.