Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
falcndave

Shanahan Carried Ryan?

70 posts in this topic

There was a large school of thought that Ryan was carried by Shanahan based on the statistical regression in 2017. For the first half of 2018, Ryan played at a historic high level again and the talk subsided. Now let's look at Shanahan the last two years. He has had QB injuries the guy he had a whole off season to work with, the stud they went out and bought, was no Matt Ryan. He was "meh".  Not bad, but nothing special. 

I think we can put to bed the notion that Shanahan is the QB whisperer and whatever he touches turns to gold. 

By they way, I know many will miss this subtlety. This is not an anti-Shanahan post. I like the guy a lot at OC. Certainly one of the best. This is a pro-Ryan post. Also, certainly one of the best. Just like Shanahan, when you surround him with backups (OL, RB, this week TE) his results are ordinary. Right, Aaron Rodgers in 2018?

1 minute ago, falcndave said:

There was a large school of thought that Ryan was carried by Shanahan based on the statistical regression in 2017. For the first half of 2018, Ryan played at a historic high level again and the talk subsided. Now let's look at Shanahan the last two years. He has had QB injuries the guy he had a whole off season to work with, the stud they went out and bought, was no Matt Ryan. He was "meh".  Not bad, but nothing special. 

I think we can put to bed the notion that Shanahan is the QB whisperer and whatever he touches turns to gold. 

By they way, I know many will miss this subtlety. This is not an anti-Shanahan post. I like the guy a lot at OC. Certainly one of the best. This is a pro-Ryan post. Also, certainly one of the best. Just like Shanahan, when you surround him with backups (OL, RB, this week TE) his results are ordinary. Right, Aaron Rodgers in 2018?

I agree except for the very last words. You do realize Rodgers has 23 TDs and only 1 INT? And that is while playing hobbled for at least half the season.

Just now, PriMeTiiMe said:

I agree except for the very last words. You do realize Rodgers has 23 TDs and only 1 INT? And that is while playing hobbled for at least half the season.

You are what your record says you are.  That is what I've been hearing about Ryan. Many of his other production stats are near career lows.

Nah no carrying involved, I just think they worked well together. It was mutually beneficial.

I can be long winded lol so I'll only use an example for each.

Ryan had to work on his mobility and that's helped him with extending plays, scrambles for yardage, and accuracy on the move.

Whereas Shanahan got a veteran QB who could not only understand all the verbiage within his system, but execute it at a high level and critique it's weak points (he mentioned in a presser a few weeks ago that Matt helped him improve on some of the setup plays to use and his situational awareness in when to use them).

15 minutes ago, FalconinPA said:

Shanahan is a good coach he made some Quarterbacks far worse than Ryan look good. I knew once Ryan got that system down they were going to light **** up in the league. Receivers open everywhere back then, I miss those days. 

We had key personnels on oline to execute that system.

Compare what Shanny had vs Sark had to deal with past 2 years and still statistically equal or better overall. 

Sad part is players didnt execute on most crucial play calls that has led to late offensive woes. 

We have too good of quality veteran players on offense to struggle like this....

Matt Ryan & Julio can write up entire playbook for NFL offense...they are that cerebral.

I expect Ryan to change up audible in game time based on coverage he seems best to get 1st downs and not keep going for explosive plays down the field.

Thats has been absolutely mind boggling to me when you dont have competent oline players why go that route instead just chip away with small yards and get 1st downs.

We do have qualified receivers with speed to make it happen...they need to get below 4 involved in various plays

Hardy

Russell 

Saubert 

Marvin Hall

The problem with Ryan’s stars this year is people aren’t taking the garbage time into account.

Theyre not looking back at the last several games and realizing Ryan didn’t do anything until the game was out of hand and the other team let their foot off the gas.

Ryan was playing good at the beginning of the year but like the rest of the team that play has fallen off. 

mqg96, Halcon-1, PokerSteve and 1 other like this

KS  is a good coach but he didn’t sniff greatness until he came here. It was very good match and he probably left too soon. Just Like Josh McDaniels, he will probably get fired in 2 years as HC and become an OC. Outside of 2012, KS had pretty mediocre offenses.

Ergo Proxy and aer2033 like this

7 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

The problem with Ryan’s stars this year is people aren’t taking the garbage time into account.

Theyre not looking back at the last several games and realizing Ryan didn’t do anything until the game was out of hand and the other team let their foot off the gas.

Ryan was playing good at the beginning of the year but like the rest of the team that play has fallen off. 

That’s true for most QB with losing records. Brees has those seasons with 5400 yards when the team was losing.

Ergo Proxy likes this

1 hour ago, FalconinPA said:

Shanahan is a good coach he made some Quarterbacks far worse than Ryan look good. I knew once Ryan got that system down they were going to light **** up in the league. Receivers open everywhere back then, I miss those days. 

He left too soon. 

red falcon likes this

1 hour ago, The Architect said:

Nah no carrying involved, I just think they worked well together. It was mutually beneficial.

I agree.  Ryan is a **** good QB and Kyle is a **** good OC.  Together they were like Reese cups; Chocolate is good, peanut butter is good, but put them together and its awesome!  they just seemed to fit well together and seemed to even have a pseudo-bromance.

1 hour ago, falcndave said:

What are you talking about?  He's on his 3rd string QB and that QB has 93.5 QB rating.

I guess you get all of the respect when you're successful. How many fans did Kyle have before Atlanta? He was just known as Mike Shanahan's Son. Respect our QB. The BS about extending plays is ridiculous. If you have to extend an offensive okay, then someone is not doing their job. The passing game works on timing. You get receivers who's 40 time in around 4.4, and with a clear path, they should be 40 yards down the field in close to that time. Your QB should have the ball no longer than 3.5 to 4 seconds. Add about 2-3 seconds of hang time on a deep pass, and the receiver should be able to catch the ball about 60 yards down the field. The problem is that nobody uses fundamentals anymore.

31 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Ryan probably only have about 250 yards of garbage time passing yards, and maybe 3 TDs. 

9 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Ryan probably only have about 250 yards of garbage time passing yards, and maybe 3 TDs. 

More than that.

That's probably the Green Bay game alone minus one TD.

Steelers game.  Saints game.  Browns game, etc

Flying Falcon and PokerSteve like this

45 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Negative:

2018 Matt Ryan Splits

1st Half : 2085 yds 14TDs

2nd Half : 1991 yds 14 TDs

Edited by Geneaut
Gee-Q and Ergo Proxy like this

13 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

I guess you get all of the respect when you're successful. How many fans did Kyle have before Atlanta? He was just known as Mike Shanahan's Son. Respect our QB. The BS about extending plays is ridiculous. If you have to extend an offensive okay, then someone is not doing their job. The passing game works on timing. You get receivers who's 40 time in around 4.4, and with a clear path, they should be 40 yards down the field in close to that time. Your QB should have the ball no longer than 3.5 to 4 seconds. Add about 2-3 seconds of hang time on a deep pass, and the receiver should be able to catch the ball about 60 yards down the field. The problem is that nobody uses fundamentals anymore.

Problem is our run/pass ratio.  Just not going to win much when you run 34% of the time.  Ryan already has the same number of pas attempts as he did all of 2016 (20 less).  

No run game = no play action = 1-dimensional = defenses best friend

rounz, red falcon, tonatl07 and 5 others like this

We need an Oline. Oline makes a rookie look like a world beater. Last night the difference between Rivers and Mahomes was negligeable. Rivers came out on top in the end because the chargers fatties could block and the chiefs got tired.

DQ had two sometimes abrasive Coaches, Shanny and DL Coach Cox.

Shanny was very blunt and has an ego but Ryan was at his best with him.

Cox was a screaming, get on you, tough guy. But he got results from Beasley and our DL.

Makes you wonder . . . I'm just saying.

53 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

More than that.

52 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

You need to calm your hate and rewatch those games.

Pretty much an overreaction if not hate. 

Rodgers has higher percentage of garbage yards and TD than Ryan,  not even close. If you look at Brees from their crappy defensive years, it’s highest in nfl. 

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

More than that.

That’s actually incredibly inaccurate. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/summary/NFL_20181007_ATL@PIT/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/summary/NFL_20181111_ATL@CLE/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/summary/NFL_20181122_ATL@NO/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/summary/NFL_20181209_ATL@GB/

According to these 4th quarter drive summaries we gained 387 yards of total offense and 3 TDs in those four games. So you’re definitely wrong on the garbage time stats. 

Edited by Sidecar Falcon
Gee-Q and Ergo Proxy like this

3 hours ago, The Architect said:

I can be long winded lol so I'll only use an example for each.

Ryan had to work on his mobility and that's helped him with extending plays, scrambles for yardage, and accuracy on the move.

Whereas Shanahan got a veteran QB who could not only understand all the verbiage within his system, but execute it at a high level and critique it's weak points (he mentioned in a presser a few weeks ago that Matt helped him improve on some of the setup plays to use and his situational awareness in when to use them).

This.^^^^^

36 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

That’s actually incredibly inaccurate. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/summary/NFL_20181007_ATL@PIT/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/summary/NFL_20181111_ATL@CLE/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/summary/NFL_20181122_ATL@NO/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/summary/NFL_20181209_ATL@GB/

According to these 4th quarter drive summaries we gained 387 yards of total offense and 3 TDs in those four games. So you’re definitely wrong on the garbage time stats. 

FACTS!

Sidecar Falcon and Ergo Proxy like this