Jump to content

Shanahan Carried Ryan?


falcndave
 Share

Recommended Posts

There was a large school of thought that Ryan was carried by Shanahan based on the statistical regression in 2017. For the first half of 2018, Ryan played at a historic high level again and the talk subsided. Now let's look at Shanahan the last two years. He has had QB injuries the guy he had a whole off season to work with, the stud they went out and bought, was no Matt Ryan. He was "meh".  Not bad, but nothing special. 

I think we can put to bed the notion that Shanahan is the QB whisperer and whatever he touches turns to gold. 

By they way, I know many will miss this subtlety. This is not an anti-Shanahan post. I like the guy a lot at OC. Certainly one of the best. This is a pro-Ryan post. Also, certainly one of the best. Just like Shanahan, when you surround him with backups (OL, RB, this week TE) his results are ordinary. Right, Aaron Rodgers in 2018?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, falcndave said:

There was a large school of thought that Ryan was carried by Shanahan based on the statistical regression in 2017. For the first half of 2018, Ryan played at a historic high level again and the talk subsided. Now let's look at Shanahan the last two years. He has had QB injuries the guy he had a whole off season to work with, the stud they went out and bought, was no Matt Ryan. He was "meh".  Not bad, but nothing special. 

I think we can put to bed the notion that Shanahan is the QB whisperer and whatever he touches turns to gold. 

By they way, I know many will miss this subtlety. This is not an anti-Shanahan post. I like the guy a lot at OC. Certainly one of the best. This is a pro-Ryan post. Also, certainly one of the best. Just like Shanahan, when you surround him with backups (OL, RB, this week TE) his results are ordinary. Right, Aaron Rodgers in 2018?

I agree except for the very last words. You do realize Rodgers has 23 TDs and only 1 INT? And that is while playing hobbled for at least half the season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, PriMeTiiMe said:

I agree except for the very last words. You do realize Rodgers has 23 TDs and only 1 INT? And that is while playing hobbled for at least half the season.

You are what your record says you are.  That is what I've been hearing about Ryan. Many of his other production stats are near career lows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nah no carrying involved, I just think they worked well together. It was mutually beneficial.

I can be long winded lol so I'll only use an example for each.

Ryan had to work on his mobility and that's helped him with extending plays, scrambles for yardage, and accuracy on the move.

Whereas Shanahan got a veteran QB who could not only understand all the verbiage within his system, but execute it at a high level and critique it's weak points (he mentioned in a presser a few weeks ago that Matt helped him improve on some of the setup plays to use and his situational awareness in when to use them).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, FalconinPA said:

Shanahan is a good coach he made some Quarterbacks far worse than Ryan look good. I knew once Ryan got that system down they were going to light **** up in the league. Receivers open everywhere back then, I miss those days. 

We had key personnels on oline to execute that system.

Compare what Shanny had vs Sark had to deal with past 2 years and still statistically equal or better overall. 

Sad part is players didnt execute on most crucial play calls that has led to late offensive woes. 

We have too good of quality veteran players on offense to struggle like this....

Matt Ryan & Julio can write up entire playbook for NFL offense...they are that cerebral.

I expect Ryan to change up audible in game time based on coverage he seems best to get 1st downs and not keep going for explosive plays down the field.

Thats has been absolutely mind boggling to me when you dont have competent oline players why go that route instead just chip away with small yards and get 1st downs.

We do have qualified receivers with speed to make it happen...they need to get below 4 involved in various plays

Hardy

Russell 

Saubert 

Marvin Hall

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem with Ryan’s stars this year is people aren’t taking the garbage time into account.

Theyre not looking back at the last several games and realizing Ryan didn’t do anything until the game was out of hand and the other team let their foot off the gas.

Ryan was playing good at the beginning of the year but like the rest of the team that play has fallen off. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

The problem with Ryan’s stars this year is people aren’t taking the garbage time into account.

Theyre not looking back at the last several games and realizing Ryan didn’t do anything until the game was out of hand and the other team let their foot off the gas.

Ryan was playing good at the beginning of the year but like the rest of the team that play has fallen off. 

That’s true for most QB with losing records. Brees has those seasons with 5400 yards when the team was losing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Architect said:

Nah no carrying involved, I just think they worked well together. It was mutually beneficial.

 

I agree.  Ryan is a **** good QB and Kyle is a **** good OC.  Together they were like Reese cups; Chocolate is good, peanut butter is good, but put them together and its awesome!  they just seemed to fit well together and seemed to even have a pseudo-bromance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, falcndave said:

There was a large school of thought that Ryan was carried by Shanahan based on the statistical regression in 2017. For the first half of 2018, Ryan played at a historic high level again and the talk subsided. Now let's look at Shanahan the last two years. He has had QB injuries the guy he had a whole off season to work with, the stud they went out and bought, was no Matt Ryan. He was "meh".  Not bad, but nothing special. 

I think we can put to bed the notion that Shanahan is the QB whisperer and whatever he touches turns to gold. 

By they way, I know many will miss this subtlety. This is not an anti-Shanahan post. I like the guy a lot at OC. Certainly one of the best. This is a pro-Ryan post. Also, certainly one of the best. Just like Shanahan, when you surround him with backups (OL, RB, this week TE) his results are ordinary. Right, Aaron Rodgers in 2018?

What are you talking about?  He's on his 3rd string QB and that QB has 93.5 QB rating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess you get all of the respect when you're successful. How many fans did Kyle have before Atlanta? He was just known as Mike Shanahan's Son. Respect our QB. The BS about extending plays is ridiculous. If you have to extend an offensive okay, then someone is not doing their job. The passing game works on timing. You get receivers who's 40 time in around 4.4, and with a clear path, they should be 40 yards down the field in close to that time. Your QB should have the ball no longer than 3.5 to 4 seconds. Add about 2-3 seconds of hang time on a deep pass, and the receiver should be able to catch the ball about 60 yards down the field. The problem is that nobody uses fundamentals anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

The problem with Ryan’s stars this year is people aren’t taking the garbage time into account.

Theyre not looking back at the last several games and realizing Ryan didn’t do anything until the game was out of hand and the other team let their foot off the gas.

Ryan was playing good at the beginning of the year but like the rest of the team that play has fallen off. 

Ryan probably only have about 250 yards of garbage time passing yards, and maybe 3 TDs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

The problem with Ryan’s stars this year is people aren’t taking the garbage time into account.

Theyre not looking back at the last several games and realizing Ryan didn’t do anything until the game was out of hand and the other team let their foot off the gas.

Ryan was playing good at the beginning of the year but like the rest of the team that play has fallen off. 

Negative:

2018 Matt Ryan Splits

1st Half : 2085 yds 14TDs

2nd Half : 1991 yds 14 TDs

 

Edited by Geneaut
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

I guess you get all of the respect when you're successful. How many fans did Kyle have before Atlanta? He was just known as Mike Shanahan's Son. Respect our QB. The BS about extending plays is ridiculous. If you have to extend an offensive okay, then someone is not doing their job. The passing game works on timing. You get receivers who's 40 time in around 4.4, and with a clear path, they should be 40 yards down the field in close to that time. Your QB should have the ball no longer than 3.5 to 4 seconds. Add about 2-3 seconds of hang time on a deep pass, and the receiver should be able to catch the ball about 60 yards down the field. The problem is that nobody uses fundamentals anymore.

Problem is our run/pass ratio.  Just not going to win much when you run 34% of the time.  Ryan already has the same number of pas attempts as he did all of 2016 (20 less).  

No run game = no play action = 1-dimensional = defenses best friend

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

More than that.

That's probably the Green Bay game alone minus one TD.

Steelers game.  Saints game.  Browns game, etc

 

52 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

You need to calm your hate and rewatch those games.

Pretty much an overreaction if not hate. 

Rodgers has higher percentage of garbage yards and TD than Ryan,  not even close. If you look at Brees from their crappy defensive years, it’s highest in nfl. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

More than that.

That's probably the Green Bay game alone minus one TD.

Steelers game.  Saints game.  Browns game, etc

That’s actually incredibly inaccurate. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/summary/NFL_20181007_ATL@PIT/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/summary/NFL_20181111_ATL@CLE/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/summary/NFL_20181122_ATL@NO/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/summary/NFL_20181209_ATL@GB/

According to these 4th quarter drive summaries we gained 387 yards of total offense and 3 TDs in those four games. So you’re definitely wrong on the garbage time stats. 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Sidecar Falcon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, The Architect said:

Nah no carrying involved, I just think they worked well together. It was mutually beneficial.

I can be long winded lol so I'll only use an example for each.

Ryan had to work on his mobility and that's helped him with extending plays, scrambles for yardage, and accuracy on the move.

Whereas Shanahan got a veteran QB who could not only understand all the verbiage within his system, but execute it at a high level and critique it's weak points (he mentioned in a presser a few weeks ago that Matt helped him improve on some of the setup plays to use and his situational awareness in when to use them).

This.^^^^^

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

That’s actually incredibly inaccurate. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/summary/NFL_20181007_ATL@PIT/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/summary/NFL_20181111_ATL@CLE/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/summary/NFL_20181122_ATL@NO/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/summary/NFL_20181209_ATL@GB/

According to these 4th quarter drive summaries we gained 387 yards of total offense and 3 TDs in those four games. So you’re definitely wrong on the garbage time stats. 

 

 

 

 

FACTS!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...