Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole World

Former NFL player on the balance between winning meaningless games and valuing draft positioning

90 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

No problem, they're still sure to falcon, which is the same thing with a more realistic, genuine home-cooked flavor. :ninja:

Above the text says “mad poker Steve said” was supposed to read “like pokersteve said” lol

On 12/13/2018 at 5:16 PM, ATLFalcon36 said:

Unless it's an UGA player...

Your comment is just as ridiculous as uga homers! Talent is talent no matter what school they’re from. 

1 hour ago, The Daywalker said:

Your comment is just as ridiculous as uga homers! Talent is talent no matter what school they’re from. 

It's a joke... 

8 hours ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

Ok, let's say in 2007 the team said "we need these last wins" and finishes the season at 7-9 instead of 4-12. They draft 15th instead of 3rd overall. Matt Ryan off the board, who do they draft that will change the franchise direction? You would've rather had Joe Flacco than Matt Ryan?

Ok, I should have put my original post in purple or whatever.  I was kidding.  I was imitating some of the **** some people here like to post.

18 hours ago, gazoo said:

I’m with you on the thought process. A young, cheap on salary cap, dominating DT to line up next to Grady would transform our defense.  

Mad pokersteve said, this isn’t about trying to get a good defensive player, this is about trying to get a player that can transform your defense and be gentle on salary cap for next few years allowing us to keep other vets.

You would start seeing more sacks as offenses have to provide help to their interior OL on critical passing downs. 

I’m running plays, to block out two DTs the offense would need to provide extra help, opening up plays for Deion, Campbell and what appears to be a diamond in the rough LB Foye who comes back next year with a far better understanding of his responsibilities after another camp.

I am a firm believer that pain is meant to purify, pain has a purpose of harnessed correctly. We lose more and we are Ben more apt to make coaching changes that need to be made.

Im all about winning a Super Bowl over the next few years. Losing 2 or 3 of the next 3 games increased those odds IMO. I do agree with those who don’t want the players give up. This, play the young guys and play them often. 

Agree 100%.  And it's not just about getting that great DT to change the complexion of the defense.  We will also get a very high second round pick that could turn out to be a very good OG prospect.

The LOS has to be addressed now.  We will likely dip into free agency, but the draft will have to be a big part of the solution.  Losing a few inconsequential games now could pay off big.  

gazoo likes this

On 12/13/2018 at 2:52 PM, Falcanuck said:

If we could get Nick Bosa if we lost the last remaining games, it’s an absolute no brainer. 

This. We need DL, DL, and more DL. 

gazoo likes this

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:02 PM, falconsd56 said:

If you would sure to get a good player what you said would be true.

but the draft is anything but a sure thing.

Drafting in the top 5 is even more pressure because of you miss with that pick them you just set your franchise back another 2 or 3 years.

Browns are a perfect examples of this

Drafting top 5 yields more Hall of Fame players. Plain and simple. Sure your pick can be a bust or get injured and not reach his potential. Odds are better the earlier you pick.

vitaman likes this

4 hours ago, etherdome said:

We need OL too.  Better to say:  We need LOS, LOS, LOS.

Of course we do, this draft is short on good OL.

1 hour ago, osiruz said:

Of course we do, this draft is short on good OL.

I’m fine spending money in FA on a veteran guard to plug in and resigning Levitre IF coaches think he can stay healthy. We can draft an OG in mid 2nd to mid 3rd by moving around if necessary. I am tired of late 4th round and 5th round OGs though. We desperately need at least one starting OG who has a good history of staying healthy.

Id rather continue building defense through draft and this draft is stacked at DL. I see two DTs and a pass rusher on the way in draft. Also, instead of paying Beasley we could cut bait and either resign him for less or use that to put toward a veteran DE in FA 

Osiruz likes this

12 minutes ago, gazoo said:

I’m fine spending money in FA on a veteran guard to plug in and resigning Levitre IF coaches think he can stay healthy. We can draft an OG in mid 2nd to mid 3rd by moving around if necessary. I am tired of late 4th round and 5th round OGs though. We desperately need at least one starting OG who has a good history of staying healthy.

Id rather continue building defense through draft and this draft is stacked at DL. I see two DTs and a pass rusher on the way in draft. Also, instead of paying Beasley we could cut bait and either resign him for less or use that to put toward a veteran DE in FA 

We need to take either one of the top dts or greedy williams in the first, and either OT, or RG in the second. It would be nice if we get greedy Williams, lose Alford and sign Suh. 

gazoo likes this

9 minutes ago, osiruz said:

We need to take either one of the top dts or greedy williams in the first, and either OT, or RG in the second. It would be nice if we get greedy Williams, lose Alford and sign Suh. 

There is no question Greedy would be an outstanding pick as well. We just have to make sure we have a plan to address the defenses biggest need at DT though. Obviously Sug would be one. . I would expect some excellent DTs to still be available at top of 2nd round. We even have ammo to move up into lower part of 1st round if a stud DT is still there.  It appears to me the OG run will be in the 3rd round anyway, and we pick at top of it

Osiruz likes this

8 hours ago, gazoo said:

There is no question Greedy would be an outstanding pick as well. We just have to make sure we have a plan to address the defenses biggest need at DT though. Obviously Sug would be one. . I would expect some excellent DTs to still be available at top of 2nd round. We even have ammo to move up into lower part of 1st round if a stud DT is still there.  It appears to me the OG run will be in the 3rd round anyway, and we pick at top of it

Agreed, we need some good OL, lots of holes to fill this off season.

gazoo likes this

1 hour ago, UGABOZ said:

the folks that complain the most about our oline are the ones begging for a d-lineman lol, 

We need both, we are obliterated at Dtackle, weak at De and that's why we are weak in the run game. Both trenches suck fiercely for this team. Since this is a draft rich in DT, it makes sense go get a DT.