Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cole World

Former NFL player on the balance between winning meaningless games and valuing draft positioning

90 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

I would rather lose the next 4 games by a combined 1000-0 than win out or even win a game.

For a team who had superbowl aspirations winning a few games to end the year in a lost season doesn't mean jack.

We have a talented roster and adding an elite Dline prospect (Plus drafting higher in every round) will do so much more for this team going foward than winning some meaningless games. Nobody is going to care about those wins a week after the season. 

Loser mentality.  You are not a true fan.  Go root for another team.  We need these last wins.

Bobby.Digital and PokerSteve like this

I feel like some people are confused by how tanking works. Players don’t tank. Organizations do. You take the good players off the field as much as possible and play young untested players. It allows a full roster evaluation and of course the high picks. 

rugger8, gazoo, PokerSteve and 5 others like this

1 minute ago, The Smart One said:

I feel like some people are confused by how tanking works. Players don’t tank. Organizations do. You take the good players off the field as much as possible and play young untested players. It allows a full roster evaluation and of course the high picks. 

Yup.  I've been saying it and wish they would do it.  I would bench Alford(not that he's good) and play Oliver the rest of the year to see what we have in him.  I think Alford is done and cutting him would not be a big cap hit.  I'd see what we have in Brian Hill and take some snaps away from Coleman since he's most definitely not gonna be here next year.  ****, honestly, with this offensive line I might just let Schaub finish out the season before Ryan gets killed...

PokerSteve and vitaman like this

12 hours ago, papachaz said:

name ANY UGA player the Falcons have taken with a first first round draft pick, just because I'm too lazy to google it and would like to know if it's ever happened, heck ANY first round draft pick

It was a joke... that we would never be satisfied with any draft pick unless it was a random Uga player.

papachaz likes this

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

Falcons drafting record under the GM and current HC is better than most folks in here grasp. 

We've been one of the best drafting teams over the last 5 years. Don't get the bad drafting talk around here 

PokerSteve, gazoo and Vandy like this

1 hour ago, The Smart One said:

so we started tanking in preseason??

no wonder.....

:ninja::ninja:

8 minutes ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

Smitty, is that you?

I'm not going to say, but I will admit to screaming 'run the **** ball and TAKE THE FIELD GOAL' at scamahan his last game here....

:mmmhmm::mmmhmm:

PokerSteve likes this

3 hours ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

This team isn't sweeping the last 3. Carolina nosediving does make that game interesting, but Green Bay was too at the time and was up by 20 in the 3rd. 

Exactly and whats crazy Kaptain is this sorry team has yet to be eliminated from the playoffs. LOL dont know if they could beat the Raiders, Niners LOL or themselves to make the playoffs, thats why Im not a big fan of Quinn right now

16 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Maybe 5 games total and I’m not a film guy.  I could be wrong, too.  But a top 5 pick, no.  He isn’t Garrett or Miller or his brother for that matter...IMO

That's freaking hilarious.... Only watching 5 games.. admitting that not a film guy.. but proclaiming the player hasn't impressed him and is not worth a top 5 pick...   

Stick to day job homie

9 minutes ago, Gee-Q said:

That's freaking hilarious.... Only watching 5 games.. admitting that not a film guy.. but proclaiming the player hasn't impressed him and is not worth a top 5 pick...   

Stick to day job homie

Never claimed to be a professional analyst.  Just offering an opinion.  16 sacks in 2.5 years doesn’t scream world beater....but as I stated, I could be wrong 

PokerSteve likes this

2 hours ago, Mescalito said:

Loser mentality.  You are not a true fan.  Go root for another team.  We need these last wins.

Let's get on the same page here. What do we need these last three wins for? What do we get out of 7-9?

PokerSteve likes this

36 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Never claimed to be a professional analyst.  Just offering an opinion.  16 sacks in 2.5 years doesn’t scream world beater....but as I stated, I could be wrong 

He had 4 in 3 games before going down with an injury this year.

4 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

He had 4 in 3 games before going down with an injury this year.

True.  Against Oregon State, Tulane and Indiana  who won a combined 8 games

I'm all aboard the lose-out train. I'll watch the games regardless and get the same entertainment value aiming for a goal - albeit just a different goal. Having a top 3 pick with the talent we already have would set us up if we draft right, and I trust the FO to pick players that will produce.

vitaman likes this

15 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Tanking Draft Geeks do not tank for a good player. They tank for the great player who will bring your defense back from the dead, who will get your sick pigeons, er Falcons, back in the play-offs. Tank Draft Geeks are all in to get this town it's first SB win and Lombardi for everybody to enjoy ~ even those so short-sighted they were willing to trade that kind of potential to win 3 completely inconsequential games in an irrelevant season. You play these last 3 games to lose. In all variations.

200.gif

Bigbenright and PokerSteve like this

4 hours ago, Bobby.Digital said:

I would rather lose the next 4 games by a combined 1000-0 than win out or even win a game.

For a team who had superbowl aspirations winning a few games to end the year in a lost season doesn't mean jack.

We have a talented roster and adding an elite Dline prospect (Plus drafting higher in every round) will do so much more for this team going foward than winning some meaningless games. Nobody is going to care about those wins a week after the season. 

I’m with you on the thought process. A young, cheap on salary cap, dominating DT to line up next to Grady would transform our defense.  

Mad pokersteve said, this isn’t about trying to get a good defensive player, this is about trying to get a player that can transform your defense and be gentle on salary cap for next few years allowing us to keep other vets.

You would start seeing more sacks as offenses have to provide help to their interior OL on critical passing downs. 

I’m running plays, to block out two DTs the offense would need to provide extra help, opening up plays for Deion, Campbell and what appears to be a diamond in the rough LB Foye who comes back next year with a far better understanding of his responsibilities after another camp.

I am a firm believer that pain is meant to purify, pain has a purpose of harnessed correctly. We lose more and we are Ben more apt to make coaching changes that need to be made.

Im all about winning a Super Bowl over the next few years. Losing 2 or 3 of the next 3 games increased those odds IMO. I do agree with those who don’t want the players give up. This, play the young guys and play them often. 

Bigbenright likes this

6 hours ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

The team won't tank.

No problem, they're still sure to falcon, which is the same thing with a more realistic, genuine home-cooked flavor. :ninja:

5 hours ago, Mescalito said:

Ok, let's say in 2007 the team said "we need these last wins" and finishes the season at 7-9 instead of 4-12. They draft 15th instead of 3rd overall. Matt Ryan off the board, who do they draft that will change the franchise direction? You would've rather had Joe Flacco than Matt Ryan?

Edited by MilleniumFalcon

7 hours ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

This team isn't sweeping the last 3. Carolina nosediving does make that game interesting, but Green Bay was too at the time and was up by 20 in the 3rd. 

The last line I saw has us favored by 9 over the Cardinals. After our last five games averaging about 16 points a game to have us favored by 9 says this Cards team has descended to levels of fail only seen by the Browns recently.

Kaptain Krazy likes this