Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole World

Former NFL player on the balance between winning meaningless games and valuing draft positioning

90 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

Unless it's an UGA player...

name ANY UGA player the Falcons have taken with a first first round draft pick, just because I'm too lazy to google it and would like to know if it's ever happened, heck ANY first round draft pick

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Tanking draft geeks are misguided souls who believe a rookie will bring their defense back from the dead.

Tankin draft geeks want to tank games for a defensive savior when their GM may end up taking a WR.

Tanking Draft Geeks are wise enough to realize that whatever their crazy GM may do with their top draft picks in most years, following a year such as this one, said GM knows if he gets too cute he will be in the unemployment line in 2020, so Tanking Draft Geeks are in fact making the correct decision in calling for three straight loses to finish the season.

34 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

If you would sure to get a good player what you said would be true.

but the draft is anything but a sure thing.

Drafting in the top 5 is even more pressure because of you miss with that pick them you just set your franchise back another 2 or 3 years.

Browns are a perfect examples of this

Nothing is ever a sure thing, but all we have is the draft and FA and I had rather pick higher than lower. What pressure>>> I don't feel any pressure. All players chosen create pressure, It's part of the game. <_<

PokerSteve likes this

Lmao. Both narratives from our message board hero’s are funny. Myself included.  The passion is real in our wordsmith ways. This team is playing out the string and the coaching staff is inept. Thems the facts folks. The other stuff we pontificate on is just conjecture. This team will lose because it’s a lost year. The suckage is real. This is a bad team this year. The reasons are irrelevant as far as history concerned. 

PokerSteve likes this

4 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

If Quinn plays a lot of the younger guys and thereby loses the last three games honorably for a top draft pick it will be the shrewdest move he's made since he arrived.

I can see that happening.

59 minutes ago, caver50 said:

Nothing is ever a sure thing, but all we have is the draft and FA and I had rather pick higher than lower. What pressure>>> I don't feel any pressure. All players chosen create pressure, It's part of the game. <_<

If you miss on a top 10 pick it can pick up your team for a while.

Again the browns are a great example......The bangles for pretty much all of the 90's

As is petty much the last 16 years of the raider franchise

Imagine the Falcons if we had drafted Dorsey instead of Ryan.

The pressure in the 20's is a whole **** of a lot different than it is top 10

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Tanking draft geeks are misguided souls who believe a rookie will bring their defense back from the dead.

Tankin draft geeks want to tank games for a defensive savior when their GM may end up taking a WR.

the fact that the GM and head coach might not be the best selecting talent is exactly why you want the highest pick possible, not to mention I'm still like the trade down for more picks option too.Here's hoping they get a monster DL or two and a new DC. 

PokerSteve likes this

35 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

If you miss on a top 10 pick it can pick up your team for a while.

Again the browns are a great example......The bangles for pretty much all of the 90's

As is petty much the last 16 years of the raider franchise

Imagine the Falcons if we had drafted Dorsey instead of Ryan.

The pressure in the 20's is a whole **** of a lot different than it is top 10

If the Browns had better coaching, they would have won a lot more games. The had plenty of talent, The pressure is always on my friend, but that's their job. No pressure on me, no pressure on you unless you let it.

You can't go by what other teams do. Everything is different about those teams. The whole organization is different.

If we had drafted Dorsey instead of Ryan, it would have been a huge mistake. Bad picks happen all the time, but I believe that the odds are still better with a higher draft pick. If we keep on the same track, then we will continue in the same direction, but it's not up to us, is it ?

PokerSteve likes this

11 hours ago, Jesus said:

Who cares if they win? Everyone on here complains about the Falcons first round picks but lauds the third and fourth round guys.

It's never gonna be good enough.

They want the pick in order to have a ton of 4th-7th picks. 

15 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I am in the minority here, but I’m not sold on Bosa. He has not Been dominant in college and there is Not enough tape on him justify a top five pick 

Regardless, if we can "earn" the first pick by losing the rest of the season, it would set us up for a trade down, if Bosa is not our guy.  

FalconsIn2012 likes this

14 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Me. I prefer a win over a loss any day. Even coming in at 0-15 in full TATF tank mode.

You best believe several players, coaches and front office execs want to win out.

There will be good players for tanking draft geeks no matter where we end up. Trust me.

You play this game to win. 

I’ll never understand any other mindset. ‘Tanking’ talk makes my skin crawl.

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

20 hours ago, putnam6 said:

the fact that the GM and head coach might not be the best selecting talent is exactly why you want the highest pick possible, not to mention I'm still like the trade down for more picks option too.Here's hoping they get a monster DL or two and a new DC. 

Falcons drafting record under the GM and current HC is a lot better than most folks in here grasp. 

16 minutes ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

The team won't tank.

We don’t have to try to rank, it’s coming naturally to us in 2018.  We are the rare team that tries to win yet manages to tank.

17 minutes ago, Optimus_Cr1m35 said:

Then it's not tanking, is it? It's just losing games...

Yep...that’s what I’m saying.  It’s scary when you have to ask this question: are we tanking, or are we simply this bad?

You almost hope it’s intentional tanking (it’s not), cause the alternative will keep a fan up at night...lol 

I would rather lose the next 4 games by a combined 1000-0 than win out or even win a game.

For a team who had superbowl aspirations winning a few games to end the year in a lost season doesn't mean jack.

We have a talented roster and adding an elite Dline prospect (Plus drafting higher in every round) will do so much more for this team going foward than winning some meaningless games. Nobody is going to care about those wins a week after the season. 

PokerSteve, gazoo and ZoneOne01 like this

This is such a touchy subject here.  It's humorous.  If you hope for a top draft pick that can possibly be a generational player for the future of your team, you are not a true fan.  Gotta win these last three games!!!  

I know it's hard, downright impossible to want the Falcons to lose.  That's why I'm not going to invest as much time and emotional energy these last coming up Sunday's.  I hope they play well and keep the games close but I'm sorry, we need top picks in each round.  We could turn this **** around real quick.

PokerSteve likes this