Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cole World

Former NFL player on the balance between winning meaningless games and valuing draft positioning

90 posts in this topic

i would be ok with us winning our last 3 but i would not hurt one bit if we loss... I do think we can win these last 3 but i feel like possibly getting Quinnen Williams or Nick Bosa is more important then 3 games to be honest... I think picking early in each round could possibly give us 3 contributors... possibly 4

Again im not saying tank but i do think it would be HUGE if we got one of those 2.

I think if we go 7-9 ... Not only do i think the FO and Head Coach find ways to keep certain coaches to blame the injuries.... But i think we will miss out on the elite players at the top..... Its a good DLine draft so good players will be in the mid first would but i see Williams, Bosa, Gary, Allen, and Simmons as the elite skill set guys.

So i think the best thing for the team future is to lose these last 3 games but i think we win 2 or all 3

18 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

If we could get Nick Bosa if we lost the last remaining games, it’s an absolute no brainer. 

I am in the minority here, but I’m not sold on Bosa. He has not Been dominant in college and there is Not enough tape on him justify a top five pick 

VTCrunkler and Optimus_Cr1m35 like this

6 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Who cares if they win? Everyone on here complains about the Falcons first round picks but lauds the third and fourth round guys.

It's never gonna be good enough.

Hard to miss when your are drafting 4th. 

PokerSteve likes this

5 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Who cares if they win? Everyone on here complains about the Falcons first round picks but lauds the third and fourth round guys.

It's never gonna be good enough.

Me. I prefer a win over a loss any day. Even coming in at 0-15 in full TATF tank mode.

You best believe several players, coaches and front office execs want to win out.

There will be good players for tanking draft geeks no matter where we end up. Trust me.

You play this game to win.

Yeah.... I don't think my passion for winning is going to change the outcome of these games. The Falcon's are doing plenty well enough towards a top draft on their own while trying their very best.

Intentionally tanking, not really necessary.

I'm not going to the game this week, so I don't care about wasted time or money. I suppose it is sad though for little 9 year old Joey Barnnuts going to the only Falcon's game he'll ever see live in person to get down there and have them play terribly... especially if it was intentional.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I am in the minority here, but I’m not sold on Bosa. He has not Been dominant in college and there is Not enough tape on him justify a top five pick 

Did you see him play ?

Dirtybird56 likes this

27 minutes ago, atljbo said:

Did you see him play ?

Maybe 5 games total and I’m not a film guy.  I could be wrong, too.  But a top 5 pick, no.  He isn’t Garrett or Miller or his brother for that matter...IMO

25 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Maybe 5 games total and I’m not a film guy.  I could be wrong, too.  But a top 5 pick, no.  He isn’t Garrett or Miller or his brother for that matter...IMO

Perhaps not. But those three could be HoFers when all is said and done. One of them already likely is. Bosa will be a stud, legit DE in the NFL

FalconsIn2012 likes this

It's gonna be tough, but we need to lose these last three!  We'd have the head to head tie breaker against the Cardinals.  But the Bucs are also pretty tough to lose to and only one game behind us.  Plus the Panthers are worse than their record indicates--they've lost like 6 straight.  So it's gonna be a huge challenge.  Hopefully we can sink to the occasion!

3 hours ago, vel said:

Exactly. Winning meaningless games because of "pride" makes you feel good in the moment but foolish long term. Winning the battle but losing the war. 

If you would sure to get a good player what you said would be true.

but the draft is anything but a sure thing.

Drafting in the top 5 is even more pressure because of you miss with that pick them you just set your franchise back another 2 or 3 years.

Browns are a perfect examples of this

7 minutes ago, ZoneOne01 said:

Drafting a stud defensive lineman >>>> winning a meaningless game during a lost season 

The good thing is....in  this draft you can probably do both

3 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Me. I prefer a win over a loss any day. Even coming in at 0-15 in full TATF tank mode.

You best believe several players, coaches and front office execs want to win out.

There will be good players for tanking draft geeks no matter where we end up. Trust me.

You play this game to win.

Tanking Draft Geeks do not tank for a good player. They tank for the great player who will bring your defense back from the dead, who will get your sick pigeons, er Falcons, back in the play-offs. Tank Draft Geeks are all in to get this town it's first SB win and Lombardi for everybody to enjoy ~ even those so short-sighted they were willing to trade that kind of potential to win 3 completely inconsequential games in an irrelevant season. You play these last 3 games to lose. In all variations.

2 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Tanking Draft Geeks do not tank for a good player. They tank for the great player who will bring your defense back from the dead, who will get your sick pigeons, er Falcons, back in the play-offs. Tank Draft Geeks are all in to get this town it's first SB win and Lombardi for everybody to enjoy ~ even those so short-sighted they were willing to trade that kind of potential to win 3 completely inconsequential games in an irrelevant season. You play these last 3 games to lose. In all variations.

Tanking draft geeks are misguided souls who believe a rookie will bring their defense back from the dead.

Tankin draft geeks want to tank games for a defensive savior when their GM may end up taking a WR.

putnam6 and PokerSteve like this

5 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Who are your Top five?