Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
I Even Bleed Red

I thin Dan Quinn has all the intangibles of a good head coach

47 posts in this topic

Players seem to want to play for him! Which is the most important quality in a coach.  

He's passionate about the game. He's a motivator. He leads by example and practices what he preaches bc I think he really believes in em.

I think he lacks some of the "tangibles", if you will, in a head coach right now but I think he'll learn. This season's BEATING will help him grow a lot.

I DON'T think he's the defensive guru we were sold he was. That's not his fault; we're just too hungry for one as fans bc we've always lacked that. As a fan, I think he's a salesman but I think he's real with himself and his players. He's made some bone head calls and, maybe even, hires...we all have. 

I just hope we don't waste away the prime of our talents waiting BUT we'll have to be patient with him thru the bad time (and I think there will be more bad ones short term) before he turns from a rookie head coach and a savvy old vet. I can tell he's learning, it'll be  a few more bumps and bruises years before he turns out to be a really good one. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You lost me at "... it'll be  a few more bumps and bruises years before he turns out to be a really good one..."

I don't have years left to donate to Quinn's maturation into being a good HC. Nor do I think Arthur Blank is going to sit through more than about one more season like this one.

This is a results-oriented league. If your team stops producing you will get the axe, just ask Mike McCarthy. He actually won a SB for his team, not just showed up and then blew the biggest lead in SB history like DQ.

4dabirds, mqg96, sdogg and 6 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

You lost me at "... it'll be  a few more bumps and bruises years before he turns out to be a really good one..."

I don't have years left to donate to Quinn's maturation into being a good HC. Nor do I think Arthur Blank is going to sit through more than about one more season like this one.

This is a results-oriented league. If your team stops producing you will get the axe, just ask Mike McCarthy. He actually won a SB for his team, not just showed up and then blew the biggest lead in SB history like DQ.

Maybe not another season this bad, but I think he has a longer leash than you may give him credit for. Blank has made continuity a big point a la Pats and the Steelers, which is why Sark is still here right now. Quinn works well with TD and Blank also seem to like him and may even see his "intangibles". 

McCarthy had lost the team, Quinn has not! Players seem to want to play for Quinn. They maybe poorly coached but our players haven't showed me they've quit. Idk what locker room talk or practice is like during the week, but I believe them when they say that part is NOT broken, which is the most important recipe for turning this around. 

I hear what you're saying big bro but I think we stick with him through growing pains the next couple yrs. 

PokerSteve likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, I Even Bleed Red said:

Maybe not another season this bad, but I think he has a longer leash than you may give him credit for. Blank has made continuity a big point a la Pats and the Steelers, which is why Sark is still here right now. Quinn works well with TD and Blank also seem to like him and may even see his "intangibles". 

McCarthy had lost the team, Quinn has not! Players seem to want to play for Quinn. They maybe poorly coached but our players haven't showed me they've quit. Idk what locker room talk or practice is like during the week, but I believe them when they say that part is NOT broken, which is the most important recipe for turning this around. 

I hear what you're saying big bro but I think we stick with him through growing pains the next couple yrs. 

We're on the same page, my brother. You agree with me if the team is playing like this through next season he's likely done. If next year looks like things are turning around, I agree with you Blank would be very unlikely to fire him.

The one thing we don't agree on is whether or not this team has quit. I haven't seen any real fire in this club for weeks. Not since the Cleveland game. That loss crushed this team's belief in itself as a contender.

They haven't been the same since. If they lose to the Cardinals at home and play like they've been playing, then it will be time to say the team has quit on Quinn. That would be an even more telling loss than the Cleveland game because we now know that's not a really bad team like Arizona is at the moment.

I Even Bleed Red likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm losing confidence in DQ with the passing of every week. Here is a coach that started out okay in the first half of his first year, then had it all unravel on him. Year two was much better. However, there were some questionable losses in year two, none bigger than the SB meltdown. Year three, DQ's team gets in the playoffs, but it clearly is not looking as capable as the team from the year before. Year four is a total disaster, with Dan Quinn's team spiraling completely out of control. Yes, the team suffered some big personnel losses, but is that an excuse for the loss of basic fundamental skills amongst many of the players, mental preparedness is lacking, and the overall competitive spirit is gone from what was once a team of budding young stars. See, I believed that this years Falcons were talented enough to overcome the injuries to at least be able to compete and win against some of the lesser teams out there. Instead, week in and week out, the Falcons are looking worse and worse. Week in and week out, Dan Quinn is being outcoached by teams with rookie QBs, interim HCs or by coaches who were not thought to be very good. If injuries and the departure of an OC is all it takes for DQ to lose his grip on the team/game, then what hope is there for the Falcons in the coming years with him at the helm? My gut feeling tells me that Quinn will look no better next year and will then get the boot, making way for change yet again. I hope to be wrong, but there is really nothing dynamic about the way DQ manages a  game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, FalconinPA said:

You lost me here. Players seem to have quit on him and his staff this year. 

Don't think so. At leads not the leaders of this team. Ryan, Julio, Deion, Jarrett, Takk are all playing their hearts out. It's just hard for us to believe that this TEAM (as a whole) is as bad as they are. 

18 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

We're on the same page, my brother. You agree with me if the team is playing like this through next season he's likely done. If next year looks like things are turning around, I agree with you Blank would be very unlikely to fire him.

The one thing we don't agree on is whether or not this team has quit. I haven't seen any real fire in this club for weeks. Not since the Cleveland game. That loss crushed this team's belief in itself as a contender.

They haven't been the same since. If they lose to the Cardinals at home and play like they've been playing, then it will be time to say the team has quit on Quinn. That would be an even more telling loss than the Cleveland game because we now know that's not a really bad team like Arizona is at the moment.

Guess we'll see to your point this week. Maybe you're right...

PokerSteve likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quinn's #1 weakness which I believe is going to derail him is one word.

ADJUSTMENTS

That has always been his achilles heel since he's been our head coach. He always preaches "1st quarter of season, 2nd quarter of season, 3rd quarter of season, and 4th quarter of season." Well, outside of the 2016 finish until the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl, every other season his teams have always gotten progressively worse throughout the 2nd half of the season.

Having the most 4th quarter blown leads in the NFL the past 4 seasons is unacceptable. 2-18 when trailing in games at halftime since our 5-0 start in 2015 is unacceptable as well. Horrible clock management late in games and failure to be clutch when it matters most and so forth. Quinn cannot adjust in games and he cannot adjust as the season goes on.

Quinn said after the Packers game "Our style is clearly not carrying over [into] game day and that’s been the case too many times this year!" That's a big red flag for me. It's the same old press conferences by Quinn saying "we'll get this fixed" and he just sticks with the same old schemes and same old formula and it's not working. As a defensive minded head coach the defense under him has actually been worse than Mike Smith which is shocking to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mqg96 said:

Quinn's #1 weakness which I believe is going to derail him is one word.

ADJUSTMENTS

That has always been his achilles heel since he's been our head coach. He always preaches "1st quarter of season, 2nd quarter of season, 3rd quarter of season, and 4th quarter of season." Well, outside of the 2016 finish until the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl, every other season his teams have always gotten progressively worse throughout the 2nd half of the season.

Having the most 4th quarter blown leads in the NFL the past 4 seasons is unacceptable. 2-18 when trailing in games at halftime since our 5-0 start in 2015 is unacceptable as well. Horrible clock management late in games and failure to be clutch when it matters most and so forth. Quinn cannot adjust in games and he cannot adjust as the season goes on.

Quinn said after the Packers game "Our style is clearly not carrying over [into] game day and that’s been the case too many times this year!" That's a big red flag for me. It's the same old press conferences by Quinn saying "we'll get this fixed" and he just sticks with the same old schemes and same old formula and it's not working. As a defensive minded head coach the defense under him has actually been worse than Mike Smith which is shocking to me. 

I DO agree with him lacking adjustments. Like I said, he's a rookie coach. That'll be part of the growing pains. He IS bad at it NOW but won't be couple more yrs down the road. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

You lost me at "... it'll be  a few more bumps and bruises years before he turns out to be a really good one..."

I don't have years left to donate to Quinn's maturation into being a good HC. Nor do I think Arthur Blank is going to sit through more than about one more season like this one.

This is a results-oriented league. If your team stops producing you will get the axe, just ask Mike McCarthy. He actually won a SB for his team, not just showed up and then blew the biggest lead in SB history like DQ.

That was 8 years ago and he hasn’t done anything since 

Flying Falcon and PokerSteve like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, I Even Bleed Red said:

Players seem to want to play for him! Which is the most important quality in a coach.  

He's passionate about the game. He's a motivator. He leads by example and practices what he preaches bc I think he really believes in em.

I think he lacks some of the "tangibles", if you will, in a head coach right now but I think he'll learn. This season's BEATING will help him grow a lot.

I DON'T think he's the defensive guru we were sold he was. That's not his fault; we're just too hungry for one as fans bc we've always lacked that. As a fan, I think he's a salesman but I think he's real with himself and his players. He's made some bone head calls and, maybe even, hires...we all have. 

I just hope we don't waste away the prime of our talents waiting BUT we'll have to be patient with him thru the bad time (and I think there will be more bad ones short term) before he turns from a rookie head coach and a savvy old vet. I can tell he's learning, it'll be  a few more bumps and bruises years before he turns out to be a really good one. 

 

I actually disagree with this i think he is exactly that and the way the defense plays when he himself personally calls the defense and does head coaching proved that to me.  Under him calling the defensive plays in 2017 and the end of 2016  we were a top 10 defense and made it to the superbowl with that defense.   The problem i see is when he gives play calling up to Richard Smith and Manuel our defenses turns to a dumpster fire.   The fact the defense changes that much between him calling the defense and someone else proves to me that he is indeed a genius defensive mind.   Which is exactly why i want him to do that defensive playcalling from now on like zimmer does and alot of really good offensive head coaches do like Sean Payton, Sean Mcvay  etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

I actually disagree with this i think he is exactly that and the way the defense plays when he himself personally calls the defense and does head coaching proved that to me.  Under him calling the defensive plays in 2017 and the end of 2016  we were a top 10 defense and made it to the superbowl with that defense.   The problem i see is when he gives play calling up to Richard Smith and Manuel our defenses turns to a dumpster fire.   The fact the defense changes that much between him calling the defense and someone else proves to me that he is indeed a genius defensive mind.   Which is exactly why i want him to do that defensive playcalling from now on like zimmer does and alot of really good offensive head coaches do like Sean Payton, Sean Mcvay  etc...

Maybe you’re right. But Seattle plays the same style of defense without Earl Thomas, Micheal Bennett, Bruce Irvin, Cam Chancellor, Tichard Sherman, etc

And DQ hasn’t been there for yrs. Maybe you’re right or maybe Seattle’s success came from many pieces being in the right place that came from pay-grades much higher Dan Quinn and DQ was just made to look good as the front man. 

vitaman likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, I Even Bleed Red said:

Maybe you’re right. But Seattle plays the same style of defense without Earl Thomas, Micheal Bennett, Bruce Irvin, Cam Chancellor, Tichard Sherman, etc

And DQ hasn’t been there for yrs. Maybe you’re right or maybe Seattle’s success came from many pieces being in the right place that came from pay-grades much higher Dan Quinn and DQ was just made to look good as the front man. 


But what im saying had nothing to do with Seattle.  The top 10 defense was the Falcons under him and lord knows our defense isn't loaded with talent like those seattle teams were lol.   Im basing what im saying completely on the difference of our own defense with solid to above avg players with him calling the plays compared to someone else calling the plays.  With him callign them were finished 9th in 2017 and from the week he took over from richard smith to then end of 2016 we were around 7th or 8th numbers wise which improved us from like 29th to 23rd  maybe by the end of the year.   He gave up those play calls this year to manuel and were back to in the late 20's to last. 

So why was their such a difference in our defense with and without him calling the plays on defense considering he was really the only thing that changed much and it was that noticable of a difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is only one trait that a good head coach needs...winning.  How a coach/staff goes about that doesn't matter as long as he is getting his players to buy in and perform.  I have confidence in DQ still but until winning comes back, I can't prop him up.  I can handle losing but if I keep seeing games where we're not even competitive, I will turn.

PokerSteve likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, I Even Bleed Red said:

Players seem to want to play for him! Which is the most important quality in a coach.  

 

 

:huh: Really? Most important quality? Not being a great game manager? Situational coach? Being able to adjust on the fly? Really?

When players realize he doenst know what the **** he's doing, who do you think will want to play for him? Players wants to play for winners that win Championships (ex. Belicheck). He's no Belicheck.

PokerSteve and m2Falcons like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, I Even Bleed Red said:

I DO agree with him lacking adjustments. Like I said, he's a rookie coach. That'll be part of the growing pains. He IS bad at it NOW but won't be couple more yrs down the road. 

Rookie? He's a 4th year coach. That's not a rookie, that's a veteran. 4 year veteran. Just like a player.

YouTellMe, vitaman, rounz and 2 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best thing a rookie HC can do is surround himself with experienced assistants--not college/high school coaches.  Shanahan was about Shanahan and looking good for his HC job he was auditioning for.  Morris didn't do much more than Quinn as HC, but should have been left in his area of expertise (secondary/defense).  He has no business coaching WR).  One thing that Smitty did (except near the end) is rarely lost more than two games in a row.  Quinn is losing four and five games consecutively.  He's running an undisciplined group and it hasn't improved yet.  He's never built a team, yet was given final say over the roster with an already suspect GM to work with.  Some of these guys he's decided to stick with, instead of bringing better talent in, shows his inexperience with the personnel side of things.  Year 4 and Quinn is still making the same game management mistakes and holding on to bad assistants.

PokerSteve and mqg96 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, I Even Bleed Red said:

I DO agree with him lacking adjustments. Like I said, he's a rookie coach. That'll be part of the growing pains. He IS bad at it NOW but won't be couple more yrs down the road. 

He’s not a rookie coach. He’s a 4 year vet HC coaching like a rookie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

:huh: Really? Most important quality? Not being a great game manager? Situational coach? Being able to adjust on the fly? Really?

When players realize he doenst know what the **** he's doing, who do you think will want to play for him? Players wants to play for winners that win Championships (ex. Belicheck). He's no Belicheck.

Agreed. He lost a couple games this season with poor game management. I think players lost faith also when he kept trotting Riley and Richards out there which cost us a couple more games. 

Players have obviously quit, which is very disconcerting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0