Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hurry_Up_And_Buy

Thanks Deion

92 posts in this topic

"Pay the player, not the position." Wow. Listen to Deion's part in it's entirety. Was that a lil low-key shot at the great & all-powerful Matt Ryan??? I know the fanbase is rather split on this one but isn't Mr. Sanders just saying the very thing we are all quietly thinking? MATT RYAN SHOULD NOT BE MAKING THAT MUCH EFFEN MONEY. PERIOD. I love him but imho he's overpaid. They are paying the position first and the player second rather than the player first and the position second. Every now and then Dimi will get one contract right when it comes to our top'tier players. But for years now he's been backending the crap outta these dudes until it's time to pay either Matt or Julio. Like Julio and Matt are the heartbeat of this entire franchise??? Wow. Definitely didnt learn much from New England huh Thomas?

3 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Julio would be average without Matt.

Just now, blkbigdog35 said:

Matt would be average without Julio!

Both are true, I don’t know why we can’t just appreciate that they both play for our team. On Sunday Matt set the record for passing yards in the first 11 season of a career, and Julio recorded his 5th straight season over 1,400 yards. But some people on this forum would dump Matt for any run-of-the-mill QB with a cheap salary, and trade Julio for draft picks that might never impact the team the way he does. It makes no sense 

Just now, Drew4719 said:

Both are true, I don’t know why we can’t just appreciate that they both play for our team. On Sunday Matt set the record for passing yards in the first 11 season of a career, and Julio recorded his 5th straight season over 1,400 yards. But some people on this forum would dump Matt for any run-of-the-mill QB with a cheap salary, and trade Julio for draft picks that might never impact the team the way he does. It makes no sense 

I agree 100%. I’m glad we have both.  

6 minutes ago, Drew4719 said:

Preach it brother. We need them both. Remember the years, although few in number, that we didn't have a decent QB? Was it Hebert and Miller wasn't phenomenal? Remember Jenkins as our #1 WR? We rarely stood a chance on Sunday. I'll take MR and JJ every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

26 minutes ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

Dumb thing to say. The market sets the salary range for players. Both of those guys are paid according to their market (and yes, Julio is due a raise).

Were we going to pay Ryan less than Matt Stafford?

Also, Matt Ryan is arguably top 5, definitely top 7.

Dosnt matter what another team pays a player.. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this league would be better off not knowing what everyone made.. And saying that, Ryan is being over paid for his abilities 

The NFL does not work like that.

Matt Ryan gets paid what he does because he is an MVP caliber qb and the Vikings paid Kurt Cousins what they paid him.

When Goff and Wetz get their deals......Ryan's is going to look like chump change

aer2033 and Macknsweetjones like this

50 minutes ago, Drew4719 said:

Julio would NOT be average without Matt Ryan. If anything, he'd by like Fitz where he's a great player overshadowed by a terrible team but saying that is a great disservice to Julio. 

You can appreciate what Ryan has done for the franchise and be honest about his shortcomings. He throws a poor deep ball (and has his entire career) and that definitely affects Julio's stat line. Part of the reason AB tends to edge out Julio as the "best wide receiver" is because he just gets more (and better opportunities) down the field.

Ryan is a surgeon under 25 yards. And he's a good NFL QB. But saying Julio would be average without Ryan is wrong.

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-09-15/sports/sp-38850_1_deion-sanders

Deion Sanders Set to Join 49ers Today : Pro football: All-Pro defensive back is expected to sign a one-year, $1.2-million contract.

September 15, 1994|BILL PLASCHKE | TIMES STAFF WRITER

As if the San Francisco 49ers, having added three Pro Bowl players to their defense, didn't have enough bright lights.

Now they're turning neon.

Deion Sanders, arguably the most powerful defensive weapon in the NFL, is expected to sign a one-year contract with the 49ers today.

"Neon Deion," a Pro Bowl cornerback, is expected to be in uniform Sunday when the 49ers visit the Rams in Anaheim.

The club apparently was waiting until today to announce the deal so it would not be overshadowed by the official ending of the baseball season. It was the baseball announcement that freed Sanders from his obligations as center fielder for the Cincinnati Reds.

Sanders flew to the Bay Area Wednesday and is expected at a news conference today.

"There are some very sensitive negotiations going on," said Carmen Policy, the 49ers' president.

Sanders, a free agent who openly sought the best chance to play in a Super Bowl, picked the 49ers over a long list of suitors including New Orleans, Miami, Kansas City, Philadelphia and his previous team in Atlanta.

In Sanders, the 49ers finally have a strong, fearless defensive back who can handle the likes of Dallas Cowboy receivers Michael Irvin and Alvin Harper.

In each of the last two seasons, the Cowboys have defeated the 49ers in the NFC championship game thanks, in part, to big plays by Irvin and Harper.

The Cowboys always have bragged that they have a player, cornerback Kevin Smith, who is not afraid of 49er star receiver Jerry Rice.

Now, with Sanders probably joining Merton Hanks in the defensive backfield while forcing shaky Eric Davis to the bench, the 49ers can return the favor.

"Deion Sanders is in a class by himself," said Eric Allen, star cornerback of the Philadelphia Eagles. "He's got everything. He does it all well; hit, run, cover."

Tim McDonald, the 49er safety who was one of three players who agreed to renegotiated contracts so Sanders' approximately $1.2-million deal could fit under the salary cap, was excited.

"Deion's a great player and he brings a lot," McDonald told reporters. "He brings excellent man-to-man coverage skills. He brings a lot of charisma and a lot of excitement and I think he's all business once he steps on the football field."

Linebackers Ken Norton and Gary Plummer were the two others who renegotiated their contracts to make room for Sanders.

San Francisco Coach George Seifert has called Sanders the best defensive back in the game today. While players agreed he will be an important addition, expect some initial locker room problems while room is being created for his sometimes intimidating presence.

"There are going to be some feelings hurt," Hanks told reporters. "There's going to be a shake-up in the secondary, because he has to play. He has to play."

The 49ers have recently become concerned about their defense after allowing their former quarterback, Joe Montana, to pass for 203 yards and two touchdowns against them in the Kansas City Chiefs' 24-17 victory Sunday.

Their worries doubled a day later, when it was discovered that their top pass rusher, Richard Dent, could miss at least six weeks because of a knee injury.

But John McVay, 49er vice president for football operations, is certain Sanders will be an instant help to the team.

"This guy is something else, he's the real thing," McVay said last Saturday, "He's really something special. He's everything they say he is."

Policy, the club president, said he was confident Sanders would become a 49er today.

"I have a very, very good feeling about this," he said Wednesday, "but it's not done till it's done. I think they know we've gone as far as we can go (financially). We've done all we could do in the framework of a one-year deal."

Meanwhile Falcon President Taylor Smith said the team still assumes Sanders will give Atlanta a chance to match the best offer from another club.

"If the (money) is what it's rumored to be . . . then I know we can be competitive with that kind of offer," Atlanta Coach June Jones said.

Stray Dog THA GAWD and rounz like this

48 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Dosnt matter what another team pays a player.. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this league would be better off not knowing what everyone made.. And saying that, Ryan is being over paid for his abilities 

Ryan isn’t over paid because the Falcons don’t have an answer if they didn’t pay him. They don’t have Steve Young, or Aaron Rodgers, or even Jimmy Garrapolo just waiting in the wings. They have no choice but to pay the market rate

Halcon-1 and ⚡Slumerican⚡ like this

I'm beginning to think that the AAF League will discuss me some good. Let me say this, F Deion Sanders. After he left Atlanta, the only thing I enjoyed us when he was decimate while playing for Dallas. Talking about you built the Georgia Dome. F you, and your Stans. 

I hate hearing mfs talk about player's money. You're on Ryan's D about performance, but trying to boost Julio. The Drop King, The 4th Migo, the often injured, etc. 

Drop Matt and pick up whom? Short of maybe 3-5 guys on this entire planet and nothing changes for the better. He aint perfect and not the GOAT. But he is FAR AND AWAY the best QB this franchise has EVER had so maybe we should build some lines and sww how that works.

Bigbenright likes this

1 hour ago, Drew4719 said:

Deion is such a turncoat. it shows more and more every time he opens his mouth about the Falcons.

He’s always been a flapper.

citsalp likes this