gazoo

There is still much hope looking forward, here is the fix

95 posts in this topic

seems to me we concentrate on defense in this draft--may need cornerback to replace alford in addition to a Dt in first round and a DE.

if we went this route would we have enough money in free agency to bring in 2-3 VERY good offensive linemen as our key free agents, or only enough money for one bigtime free agent?  will there be enough offensive linemen available to bring in?  basically are we screwed bc of the big contracts of ryan ("I want a super bowl more than anyone but make me the second best paid QB in the league") and future contract for julio, or will we have enough money to build an off line in free agency

5 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Do you think we'll get Gary Kubiak?

I wil start a go fund me page by depositing $1000 supporting a bonus check for Kubiak to sign here :)

PokerSteve likes this

46 minutes ago, NCFalconfan said:

We need EXPERIENCED coordinators and position coaches across the board this off season. Not guys DQ want's to give their big break to and introduce them to opportunities in the big leagues. 

I couldn’t agree more. 

I'm more worried about the psyche of this team than anything else.  

A losing record since Feb 5, 2017 is not heading in the right direction, especially with coaching that seems to need to call a timeout every game to figure out what to try next...knowing (or not) that they just made it easier for their opponent to beat them.

I think Quinn is a decent head coach, until the game is on the line.  At that point he seems to do too much hoping and hanging on, instead of adjusting and leading his team. 

Also his coordinators have proven to be simply unqualified at this level and there is zero reason to keep any of them within a hundred miles of Flowery Branch. 

NCFalconfan likes this

8 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Your own 2007 Atlanta Falcons.

Lol you joker the talents there it's just hasn't been deployed properly and has a lot of that mentioned talent been out for extended periods.

Im still pissing myself laughing about the one year turnaround thing when the Falcons did it in 08 no QB new coaches staff and talent added lol.

It can't be done though right Hahahahaha it happend with the Falcons lol.Nevermind looking round the league it happend in the backyard of the team you supposedly support...:bang:

BOOM!

The early onset of dementia demonstrates around here at times. Most of the same players on offense that catapulted our offense to scoring the 7th most points in NFL history just 2 years ago are still here, yet some suggest it’s foolish to think we could be a good offense next year. 

We have a lot of very good pieces on defense but desperately need a stud DT to play next to Grady. It will transform the entire DL and defense to have two stud, disruptive DTs playing with Tak on edge. It would even help boost Beasley’s sacks if he sticks around. We have a good secondary, we just need a big playmaker at DT and better rotating DL. The loss of Poe and Clayborn was far bigger than realized, but we have ammo this offseason to remediate. 

kiwifalcon likes this

Honestly I have much hope for next year. No way can our luck be that bad to be ravaged by injury again as we were this year. The fact that we added help at skill positions in 2018 draft mean that next year the OL and DL become the highest priority. A stud next to Grady and a couple of above average talents next to Mack sure up the lines a lot but we still have both the draft and FA to add to our ensemble. I think we are easily back in the playoffs and we forget about this year with a long playoff run next year. We definitely need to do something about OC though. Creativity and adjustments are a must. 

Edited by Stryka
gazoo likes this

14 hours ago, Vandy said:

The falcons are a poorly coached team on both sides of the ball, and on special teams as well. You have to fix the coaching staff first and foremost. This team is athletically gifted, but does not block, tackle, run or catch the ball fundamentally well. 

This is one of the reasons I believe complete rebuild of roster is not needed. Falcons offense needs a decent OL blocking and not drop or fumble the ball away. Mostly it’s coaching issue. Defense is where it needs coaching overhaul and player overhaul.

gazoo and Vandy like this

9 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Your own 2007 Atlanta Falcons.

Lol you joker the talents there it's just hasn't been deployed properly and has a lot of that mentioned talent been out for extended periods.

Im still pissing myself laughing about the one year turnaround thing when the Falcons did it in 08 no QB new coaches staff and talent added lol.

It can't be done though right Hahahahaha it happend with the Falcons lol.Nevermind looking round the league it happend in the backyard of the team you supposedly support...:bang:

That was one of the biggest turn arounds in NFL history. Falcons were consensus 0-16 pick in preseason that year.

kiwifalcon likes this

9 hours ago, FalconBlood said:

That is actually exactly what happens. It happens all the time to tons of athletes. Not necessarily "forgetting" how to play, but simply experiencing a sharp decline in ability. I think we need to move on from Schraeder.

Lot of it goes to coaching too. Every coach has different styles and emphasis points. If players don’t hone the skills and adapt, they will fall off the cliff. Quinn should start showing game film with attention to detail, not some boxing clips.

NCFalconfan likes this

16 hours ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

Care to elaborate why this team is 4-9? I think even with your “perfect” off-season, there will be learning curves under new coordinators, no guarantee guys come back to the same level pre injury, and Dan Quinn will still get in the way at some point...

Plus, is our talent up to the level of LAR, DAL, PHI, MIN, GB, NO, CAR, CHI, SEA? Bc those are the teams we have to beat in the NFC...

Our defensive talent is nowhere near half those teams...and offensively, we are inferior to several...

Agree. We can't match the defensive talent of those teams. We don't have the talent-laden defense we thought we had going in to this season. Our CB's are trash, we're short at least one impact LB, none of our young DL guys looking all that special so far,  including Takk or Grady. Admittedly even Bruce Irvin has disappeared in this Charmin scheme we play.

There are too many changes coming to expect this team to be 10-6 or better next year. We should certainly have better coaching and coordinator(s), some better players on defense, etc. There is going to be a transition period. We'll still have this soft, reactive defensive scheme. Quinn will no doubt get in the way in a couple of close games. All things considered, I think we project to something like an 8-8 record next year rather than 10-6, 11-5 and back in the play-offs.

16 hours ago, gazoo said:

Yep......the OC is the critical piece. We have the resources to fix the other weaknesses, but we need a legit OC our players respect and believe in

I agree 100%. Can Quinn come up with another Shanahan this time instead of another Sark? Assuming we even fire Sark in the first place. I'm with everybody else up in here who's praying Sark will get sacked and Kubiak will magically show up in his place.

gazoo likes this

7 hours ago, Jerz #DukeSZN said:

It all depends at what price. Vic is a servicable 3rd down rusher... if we can pay him according to his impact I have no problem keeping him. I think it is a given at this point that we won't take up his option, so it will all depend on what his demand is on the open market. Unfortunately with pass rushers being in such high demand it is very likely someone will offer him a big contract in hopes he can regain his 2016 form. 

Jerz #DukeSZN and rugger8 like this

Improve the trenches, fix the coordinators and i think we're back in the hunt.

The roster isn't anywhere as weak as some are making out. 

The offense needs to improve at at least one guard position and RT. A 2nd round draft pick and 1 high tier FA pick up could sort this. The only real loss is Tevin Coleman and given his chance he's proven to be a useful but replaceable part

If everyone comes back 100% next season, the defense is in reasonably good shape also. Deion and Campbell as nickle LB's, let Oliver Trufant and Kazee play at CB (improved line play and the return of both starting safeties should help massively), bolster the interior with what should be a stud DT from first round and an Edge guy in the 3rd. Takk will have to step up but should benefit from the added inside push and you either resign Beasley to a contract that is fitting of a part time pass rusher or let him go and try find a solid vet edge guy.

Its not perfect but a decent coordinator could easily work with either of these units. 

gazoo likes this

2 hours ago, NCFalconfan said:

We need EXPERIENCED coordinators and position coaches across the board this off season. Not guys DQ want's to give their big break to and introduce them to opportunities in the big leagues. 

There was plenty of hubris in our coaching decisions after our 2016 super bowl run. I think more than anything that is why we have fallen off a cliff. I think injuries have been a blessing in desguise because even fully healthy this team wasn't going to make a deep playoff run. At least now we have seen how poorly coached we are on offense and we will get the help of some high draft picks to fill out some of the key areas where we are thin or outright lacking. 

PokerSteve likes this

13 hours ago, gazoo said:

Anytime the team struggles trolls come out of retirement to stir the pot.

We seem to do pretty good with running back picks, but I am with you, Freeman’s injuries are a big concern. He’s awesome when healthy but we need another back since I don’t think we resign Coleman.  I love Judge Ito. He not only runs well when given any chance, he puts himself out there in pass protection and catches the ball well. He’s going to get better too.  We should use another mid round pick on a bigger one IMO. We have that extra 4th and 5th compensatory picks so we ha e the ammo.

Also agree the silver lining. Keep an eye on Saubert to play many sets with Hooper next year as our new #2, he looked good last week and should be ready to take over for the terribly inconsistent Paulsen who well probably cut. Paulsen disappointed me this year and Saubert way cheaper and way more upside, especially in passing game.

Kazee looks like the real deal to me, he needs to stay on field next year. The heart of our defense was Neal and Jones, with Allen also providing vocal leadership. I’m serious, a stud DT to play next to Grady and our entire line changes for the better. We need to get rid of the weak pieces n DL as well. I’ll bet we draft at least two DL and two OL. We also need to do better in FA.

I believe the defense will get right back on track next year with our stars back in lineup and better pieces, it’s really DQs and he isn’t going anywhere. 

Pour offense is stacked with talent minus 2 horrible backup OGs. We take those weak spots and fill with good OGs, maybe a high pick rookie and a upper level FA and we have most of the 2016 offense that was 7th in NFL history in points. We just need to make the right decision on a new OC.

What OC wouldn’t salivate at working with this level of talent and a veteran QB as good as Ryan? It’s not a burn and rebuild at all, I’ve seen countless offenses take off like a rocket with a new OC taking over. We have the talent, but it needs a legitimate OC who knows how to utilize it.

I know you have been high on Saubert since preseason. I haven't seen enough yet to have an opinion.

On Kazee, for him to be on the field next year, I think it has to be as the nickle if Rico fully recovers. I am a big believer in the impact of leaders on the field, and Rico is one. When you consider Kazee's experienced, I'd put him way ahead of the curve.

17 hours ago, Vandy said:

The falcons are a poorly coached team on both sides of the ball, and on special teams as well. You have to fix the coaching staff first and foremost. This team is athletically gifted, but does not block, tackle, run or catch the ball fundamentally well. 

And the penalties, my God. Yes, the first three coaching decisions have to be OC, DC, ST's.

FA and draft our arses off in the trenches. We need another LBer and corner.  I'm not sold on Freeman or TeCo any longer.  I want a power RB with some speed, Ito is workable as a relief RB. 

PokerSteve, rugger8 and Vandy like this

2 hours ago, falcons007 said:

This is one of the reasons I believe complete rebuild of roster is not needed. Falcons offense needs a decent OL blocking and not drop or fumble the ball away. Mostly it’s coaching issue. Defense is where it needs coaching overhaul and player overhaul.

Agreed. Get the coaching right and take advantage of this unique position we have in the draft, we should be fine. 

gazoo, falcons007 and PokerSteve like this

25 minutes ago, falcndave said:

I know you have been high on Saubert since preseason. I haven't seen enough yet to have an opinion.

On Kazee, for him to be on the field next year, I think it has to be as the nickle if Rico fully recovers. I am a big believer in the impact of leaders on the field, and Rico is one. When you consider Kazee's experienced, I'd put him way ahead of the curve.

I appreciate Rico as much or more than anyone on this board, but Kazee looks like that ball-hawking FS this team has been missing to me. 

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Agreed. Get the coaching right and take advantage of this unique position we have in the draft, we’ll be fine. 

Oh, and when we have big leads, no more playing soft prevent defense (see SB and a multitude of other games) but take the way the Steelers and Ravens played us with leads.  They didn't sit back and let us score, they sent the kitchen sink and wreaked havoc on our OL and gave us no chance to get back in the games.  That's the type of defense I want. 

Vandy, PokerSteve and mqg96 like this

1 hour ago, Dr Long Shot said:

It all depends at what price. Vic is a servicable 3rd down rusher... if we can pay him according to his impact I have no problem keeping him. I think it is a given at this point that we won't take up his option, so it will all depend on what his demand is on the open market. Unfortunately with pass rushers being in such high demand it is very likely someone will offer him a big contract in hopes he can regain his 2016 form. 

For the right price I'd like to keep him for a long time as depth. He can be a nice switch up after a dominating DL hammers away at opposing OL for 3 quarters. Hopefully we can get a dominating DL eventually.

Vandy likes this

Just now, WhenFalconsWin said:

Oh, and when we have big leads, no more playing soft prevent defense (see SB and a multitude of other games) but take the way the Steelers and Ravens played us with leads.  They didn't sit back and let us score, they sent the kitchen sink and wreaked havoc on our OL and gave us no chance to get back in the games.  That's the type of defense I want. 

The mystery is that’s the D we saw last 1/3 of 2016 and throughout our playoff run. And then it just disappeared...

What happened to THAT Dan Quinn?