Geneaut

Still in the playoff hunt?

28 posts in this topic

Don't shoot the messenger! Just posting what I found.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2018/12/12/absurd-way-atlanta-falcons-can-make-nfl-playoffs/2282852002/

At first glance, Sunday's Arizona Cardinals at Atlanta Falcons game appears to be the least interesting one on the NFL's schedule.

A closer look, however, reveals two things: the loser is in great shape to secure a top-four (or higher) draft pick; and, by winning, the Falcons keep alive their faint hopes of making the playoffs. 

Yes, the 4-9 Atlanta Falcons are actually still mathematically alive for the sixth and final spot in the NFC playoff bracket. They have less than a 1 percent chance, according to fivethirtyeight.com, but they still have a chance.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution recently charted the absurd series of events the Falcons would need to have happen in order to get to the postseason:

  • The Falcons beat the Cardinals, Panthers and Buccaneers. 
  • The Vikings lose to the Dolphins, Lions and Bears. 
  • The Packers lose to the Bears and the Lions.
  • The Eagles lose to the Rams or Texans and then lose to the Redskins. 
  • The Panthers lose to the Falcons and do no better than split with the Saints. (Yes, New Orleans and Carolina meet twice in the last three weeks of the season).
  • The Lions would have to lose to the Bills but beat the Vikings and Packers.
  • The Redskins would have to lose to the Titans and Jaguars but beat the Eagles. 
  • The Giants would have to lose to the Titans, Colts or Cowboys. 
  • The Buccaneers would have to lose to the Falcons. 

In all, 15 games would to break the Falcons way.

Lose to the Cardinals on Sunday, however, and nothing else matters.

olehippy13 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Geneaut said:

Don't shoot the messenger! Just posting what I found.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2018/12/12/absurd-way-atlanta-falcons-can-make-nfl-playoffs/2282852002/

At first glance, Sunday's Arizona Cardinals at Atlanta Falcons game appears to be the least interesting one on the NFL's schedule.

A closer look, however, reveals two things: the loser is in great shape to secure a top-four (or higher) draft pick; and, by winning, the Falcons keep alive their faint hopes of making the playoffs. 

Yes, the 4-9 Atlanta Falcons are actually still mathematically alive for the sixth and final spot in the NFC playoff bracket. They have less than a 1 percent chance, according to fivethirtyeight.com, but they still have a chance.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution recently charted the absurd series of events the Falcons would need to have happen in order to get to the postseason:

  • The Falcons beat the Cardinals, Panthers and Buccaneers. 
  • The Vikings lose to the Dolphins, Lions and Bears. 
  • The Packers lose to the Bears and the Lions.
  • The Eagles lose to the Rams or Texans and then lose to the Redskins. 
  • The Panthers lose to the Falcons and do no better than split with the Saints. (Yes, New Orleans and Carolina meet twice in the last three weeks of the season).
  • The Lions would have to lose to the Bills but beat the Vikings and Packers.
  • The Redskins would have to lose to the Titans and Jaguars but beat the Eagles. 
  • The Giants would have to lose to the Titans, Colts or Cowboys. 
  • The Buccaneers would have to lose to the Falcons. 

In all, 15 games would to break the Falcons way.

Lose to the Cardinals on Sunday, however, and nothing else matters.

It's dumb listing that (A) the Falcons have to win last 3 games...  and (B) that the Bucs have to lose to the Falcons...

Same things AJC !!!

Ergo Proxy, Geneaut, Kevo and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, vel said:

There are some people around here who want us to back into the playoffs because "you never know what could happen!" I know exactly what would happen. We'd score 2 points. 

There's just a 1% chance we'll back in, but if we do we'll be on a three game win streak with lots of training for replacement players that could turn the corner. Would likely go to DAL or CHI who have fierce defenses but we had DAL dead to rights and let em off the hook. Could probably play CHI close too. Don't tank bro. Keep hope alive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, vel said:

There are some people around here who want us to back into the playoffs because "you never know what could happen!" I know exactly what would happen. We'd score 2 points. 

This team ain’t nowhere hot like 2016 with an OL, running game and opportunistic D.

Nope, this team smells of 2011 Falcons. That’s IF we had won the games we should have or were capable of.

We didn’t.

Good news is that; like that 2011 team, we can retool and be a major threat again next year like 2012 Falcons were. We certainly have a higher ceiling than the 2012 roster if we draft well and make good FA moves/roster decisions.

If we make the playoffs it’d be a miracle, so until that happens I’m more interested in how we get better than the 2016 team.

Now, if we find our balls and can run the ball/actually get the turnovers that are there as a D magically in these next 3 games? Yeah you could do something. Just can’t make playoffs on your own merit so not even gonna take it seriously.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
vel likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, vel said:

There are some people around here who want us to back into the playoffs because "you never know what could happen!" I know exactly what would happen. We'd score 2 points. 

No we actually we would score 3! Golden boot Bryant would surely get us that....Lmao!

Our defense is not competent to get safety! Comeon man! 

vel likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

There's just a 1% chance we'll back in, but if we do we'll be on a three game win streak with lots of training for replacement players that could turn the corner. Would likely go to DAL or CHI who have fierce defenses but we had DAL dead to rights and let em off the hook. Could probably play CHI close too. Don't tank bro. Keep hope alive. 

You know Old Man. The next time I'm in Atlanta and have time to spare, we're getting a brew together and watching a game. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a WAY better chance of making the playoffs NEXT year with a high draft pick than we have of making the playoffs this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Still alive. Don't tank.

This will sting but I’ll throw it out there.  We still have a better chance of making the playoffs (.06%) than the Patriots did of beating us in SB 51 when we led 28-3 (.01%)

so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance-3448

Edited by Falconsin2012

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

There's just a 1% chance we'll back in, but if we do we'll be on a three game win streak with lots of training for replacement players that could turn the corner. Would likely go to DAL or CHI who have fierce defenses but we had DAL dead to rights and let em off the hook. Could probably play CHI close too. Don't tank bro. Keep hope alive. 

LOL , :lol::lol::lol:. This was my laugh for the day lol Chicago would knock the bird piss out of us while Ryan is seeing stars. 

Edited by caponine
FalconinPA likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, caponine said:

LOL , :lol::lol::lol:. This was my laugh for the day lol Chicago would knock the piss out of us while Ryan is seeing stars. 

:lol:, yes I agree. Khalil Mack running at our linemen would probably make them **** their pants. Then my Georgia boys Floyd and Roquan Smith would make our guys count sheep with their hits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FalconinPA said:

:lol:, yes I agree. Khalil Mack running at our linemen would probably make them **** their pants. Then my Georgia boys Floyd and Roquan Smith would make our guys count sheep with their hits.

lol lmaooo you’ve ever seen a swinging door ?? lol they both would put ryan out lol probably best if we put the backup qb in actually lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, caponine said:

lol lmaooo you’ve ever seen a swinging door ?? lol they both would put ryan out lol probably best if we put the backup qb in actually lol

Our  offense ain't ready for Chicago's D. They had the Rams and Goff on the run last week. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The coaching staff is already playing for next year by experimenting with and giving playing time to young guys.  It would take a miracle for everything to fall into place for us to make it.. and the team and coaching staff know it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now