Ziggy Ansah will probably be let go at end of year

basscass

I know he had a lot of injuries,  but when he is healthy he is a beast.  He is on IR now with shoulder.  Not sure what it would cost to get him when they let him walk at the end of the year.  He will probably be on a prove it one year contract.   Maybe a change is what he needs.  Just wondering what you guys think.   Could solve a lot of our pass rush issues if he can stay on the field.  My first thought was to trade Beasley for Ansah but after looking found that he would probably be let go at end of year. 

Depends on what he is looking for in terms of contract. For a low salary, one year deal, then maybe. We would be basically be using him as a situational pass rusher, not an every down DE. I don’t think his body can handle much more than a limited role. Deal would be very low. 

Edited by Sidecar Falcon

2 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Are y'all serious right now? Pretty clear who hasn't watched lions games. On a one year deal this is a no brainer.

A one year deal for him would eat up probably 15 mil in cap space. Not worth it. We need to continue to draft defense and spend that money on ol. There are elite defensive linemen in this draft at the top, not so much on the ol. 

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Are y'all serious right now? Pretty clear who hasn't watched lions games. On a one year deal this is a no brainer.

Yeah, I can't believe posters on here think Ansah is a bad player.

Per PFF, through 14 weeks:

Detroit Lions: Ezekiel Ansah has gotten pressure on 29% of his third-down pass rushes this season, which is the highest rate for defensive players.

7 minutes ago, virginiafalcon said:

Detroit Lions: Ezekiel Ansah has gotten pressure on 29% of his third-down pass rushes this season, which is the highest rate for defensive players.

If he stays hurt, What good does he do us? In 6 seasons he has played 16 games just twice. We are better off overpaying for someone that will actually be on the field each week.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

8 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

If he stays hurt, What good does he do us? In 6 seasons he has played 16 games just twice. We are better off overpaying for someone that will actually be on the field each week.

Leave off the part where he's done at least 13 games in the others (two 14, two 16, and one 13), but fine. Same argument as people saying Julio is injury prone.

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

A one year deal for him would eat up probably 15 mil in cap space. Not worth it. We need to continue to draft defense and spend that money on ol. There are elite defensive linemen in this draft at the top, not so much on the ol. 

Lol nah. And even if it did, Beasley is getting 12 mil - 3 mil extra for a player of his caliber? Do it.

17 minutes ago, virginiafalcon said:

Thank you. Puppets around here don't wanna hear it.

2 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Julio is injury prone. But he is top 3 at his position so you deal with it.

Ansah is not.

Ansah's produced 48 sacks over his past 80 games.

He's missed 13 out of 93 possible games due to injury, or 14%.  You don't want a guy who averages 9.5 sacks a season because he may miss 2-3 games out of the year due to being nicked up?

The Falcons haven't had a pass rusher of Ansah's capability since John Abraham -- who (dun dun dun) had a reputation of being injury prone in his first several seasons as well.  I think that worked out okay for us.

4 minutes ago, virginiafalcon said:

He's missed 13 out of 93 possible games due to injury, or 14%.  You don't want a guy who averages 9.5 sacks a season because he may miss 2-3 games out of the year due to being nicked up?

The Falcons haven't had a pass rusher of Ansah's capability since John Abraham -- who (dun dun dun) had a reputation of being injury prone in his first several seasons as well.  I think that worked out okay for us.

Most of the games missed were this year, too.

I can see an incentive laden contract based on games played.

7 minutes ago, virginiafalcon said:

Not for the money he will want. Unless its an incentive laden deal like Francis stated I would not touch him

Ansah is a whole lot better than this board likes to think.

Even compared to Vic Beasley lol.......

Ansah is a legit, full-fledged, hand-in-the-dirt DE. He can play the run and obviously rush the passer incredibly well. AND he plays for Detroit, it's highly possible they've held him back from his potential a tremendous amount

Only 2 pass rushers scheduled to be in FA this year I would pay 15m+ a year for are DeMarcus Lawrence and Frank Clark and neither one of them will sniff FA. Lawrence has grown to a whole different level these last 2 seasons and dominates games. Clark is only 25 and averages 10 sacks a year the last 3 seasons and obviously fits in our scheme.

Clowney, Ford and Ansah are all a notch lower. 10m and incentives at most. Clowney is a big name but has less sacks in his career than Vic Beasley and always seems hurt. Dee Ford has the same amount of sacks as Beasley but played one more year than him. Let that sink in.

Ziggy has 2 sacks 3 seasons ago. 4 Sacks this season. 2 years ago when he had 12, 6 came in the final 2 games which means he had 6 in the other 14 games. So in the last 3 seasons: 32 games he had 12 total. And 6 in a random 2 game spurt. No thank you. 

When you have all these players that cost a pretty penny like we currently have you cannot afford to just throw out a 15m+ contract and have them disappear for most of the season.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

On 12/12/2018 at 9:01 AM, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I'd rather see Pioli try to wrangle Dee Ford away from KC before they re-sign him.

No thanks, Dee Ford and Beasley are literally the same trex armed small player. Yes on Ansah please, he is a beast and very hard to block.