SCHOOL: Oklahoma

CONFERENCE: Big 12

POSITION: Interior Offensive Lineman

CLASS: RS Junior

JERSEY: No. 74

RECRUITMENT RATING: 3-star

HT: 6’4

WT: 346 lbs

Pass Protection – Unbelievable balance and agility in his sets for a man his size. Able to use 45-sets (rare) and vertical sets to defend the edge. Quick out of his stance and fluid to protect against counters. Good luck bull-rushing him. When he reaches his set points properly, it’s over. Struggles against speed rushers at times due to inefficient footwork. NFL may choose to revamp his stance, currently stands in upright 1/4 crouch at right tackle.

POA Run Blocking – Blocked consistently on an angle or on the move due to Oklahoma’s scheme and the alignments they typically faced, creating movement at the point of attack with power and hand usage. Could stand to gain a bit more ground in his first zone step, but has the desired agility and quickness for such a fit. Does a great job sealing edge defenders up the field on simple hinge blocks.

Functional Strength – Ridiculously powerful and able to create movement without abandoning technique for the most part. Exceptional rotational power to displace opponents and open up gaps. Say what you want about Big 12 opposition, but Ford physically dominated matchups on a per-game basis.

Pass Pro Footwork – Big kick slide at times, picking up his set foot and stomping it down noisily. Despite inconsistent footwork, feet are still light and agile. Must improve at reaching proper set points against all types of rushers. Gets beaten to the edge too easily by speed rushers, opening up his hips at the top of the arc to run them past the pocket. Leaves himself susceptible to getting beat inside as a result. Range is there to be special. Has some reps that are jaw-dropping, making him easily worth developing at tackle.

Strike Timing/Placement – For the most part patient and decisive with his strikes in pass protection. If he gets his paws on you, it’s typically over. Looks to finish when he lands a good strike, overwhelming his opponent and discouraging their future endeavors as pass rushers. Has improved during the season at not reaching in his strikes and staying flat-backed. Does a good job re-setting his hands to get a better fit. Occasionally deploys the two-handed Jeremy Parnell-punch, an aggressive but risky maneuver to pull off. Needs to keep his feet active when hands are engaged, both working in unison is a work-in-progress. Gotta attack the long arm quicker when he gets stabbed.

Leverage – Fits his hands leveraged, but doesn’t always play with low pads off the ball, not that it mattered in the Big 12. Lack of leverage will be tested more in the NFL, especially if moved inside. Does play with enough knee bend that I think the issues can be minimal. Exposes some surface area for power rushes, but anchor is so strong he usually engulfs them anyway.

Space Blocking – Not athletic for his size, just straight-up athletic. Unbelievable movement skills and flexibility to change direction and alter his path on the move. Fully capable of pulling and hitting targets in space, creating movement as he arrives. Pad level can be high on arrival and at times is overaggressive at the second level, allowing defenders to slip around him.

Competitive Toughness – Complete mauler. Tries to finish every rep by putting his opponent in the ground. Physically and mentally dominated his opponents with exceptional hustle and tenacity.

Mental Processing – There is a certain level of mental processing that can only be gained from experience, but Ford is still well ahead of the curve despite one year as a full-time starter. Picks up the majority of twists flawlessly, showing excellent awareness to devour late pressure. Can still stand to decipher his second level targets better pre-snap.

Athleticism/Size – Unbelievable athlete with an exceptional frame for the position. Very little sloppy weight, yet still massive overall with outstanding foot quickness and agility. How long are his arms? I think he’ll check that box.

BEST TRAIT – Functional Strength

WORST TRAIT – Footwork

RED FLAGS – Broken fibula suffered during sophomore year

Ford’s tape is among the best and most fun of the 2019 offensive line class, as he shows everything from high-end promise to unbelievably physical finishes. The muscle of the Oklahoma offensive line, Ford has just one year as a full-time starter under his belt, but already his mental processing and technique are pretty impressive. He’s a mauler at the point of attack, while also possessing the athleticism to get out in space and the agility in pass protection to shut down all types of rushers.

There is no question that right now his physical and athletic gifts are superior to his polish, but Ford has the traits to be a top-tier player in the NFL. He needs refinement and proper coaching, preferably at tackle first and then moving to guard if he consistently struggles on the outside. Ford’s ceiling may be higher at guard, but his value could be greater at tackle if he hits. The redshirt junior should be one of the biggest risers of the pre-draft process and has a legitimate shot to be a first round pick.

1 hour ago, atlbaby said:

Please let us draft this kid in the 2nd round and plug him in at RG.

Feels like it'd be a massive waste to have someone with his athleticism at RG. He's comfortable at RT and we have a need there - don't want us to overthink things.

Worst comes to worst though, if we keep Schraeder and he's playing well, by all means - try him at guard.

NFL may choose to revamp his stance, currently stands in upright 1/4 crouch at right tackle.

doesn’t always play with low pads off the ball

He's got some great tape but this is the one hole I see. He plays much higher than the other players on his line so I worry a shorter, strong rusher like Takk can get under his pads but at 340 lbs and not 310 lbs, he's got a lot of extra anchor to hold strong. I could see him being a player like Alex Boone. 

Given me Ford all day in the second. He's a dancing bear and would be **** for other DEs to have to face on a weekly basis. 4th and short would make DQ look like a smarter man with a 340lb behemoth on his OL. Sometimes leverage is overrated. A big man is a big man when it counts. 

A-TowN.- and Vandy like this

No I rather him play Guard. Outside of the Patriots 2 tackles it’s not many, if any 340+ OT’s in the league.

Ford could be as effective as Kelechi Osemele when he shifted from RT to G for Baltimore back in the day.

6 hours ago, ike barn87987 said:

Check out @alexmarvez’s Tweet:

My bad I didn't realize you posted this already.

3 hours ago, ike barn87987 said:

I like Ford but still prefer Dillard.

I believe Ford will turn out better than Dillard. Not to say Dillard is no good but he's kinda finesse like Jonathan Martin, Dolphins old tackle.

19 minutes ago, atlbaby said:

@atljbo @A-TowN.- @Vandy @Ergo Proxy @kiwifalcon @osiruz @Francis York Morgan I think that is all who support Ford, but it could be more.

With how he's going to perform at the combine - in the drills as well as the numbers - I wouldn't be surprised.

Really want to see how he does coming out of a 3 point stance. If we have someone work on him with his set, he's a Pro Bowler at RT or guard, guaranteed. That's worth a 1st.

4 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

With how he's going to perform at the combine - in the drills as well as the numbers - I wouldn't be surprised.

Really want to see how he does coming out of a 3 point stance. If we have someone work on him with his set, he's a Pro Bowler at RT or guard, guaranteed. That's worth a 1st.

Yeah I totally agree with this. Think it’s very likely he’s a top 20 pick. 

atlbaby likes this

47 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Really want to see how he does coming out of a 3 point stance. 

That's what I want to see. 

1 hour ago, atlbaby said:

@atljbo @A-TowN.- @Vandy @Ergo Proxy @kiwifalcon @osiruz @Francis York Morgan I think that is all who support Ford, but it could be more.

I am all on the ford train, I think that should be our pick. My only beef with ford is he plays high, not sure if he can play at RG. Would be interesting to see him at the combine. We have a need at both RT and RG, so I am fine if he takes either spot.

Vandy and atlbaby like this

I'm a big time Cody Ford fan... A big mauling bear.... 

What I love is that he can play  G and Tackle.... I think the value is at RT but if the coaching staff thought Ty could play RT , Cody could be a beast at guard

Vandy, atlbaby and Dutty Ole Bird like this

45 minutes ago, osiruz said:

I am all on the ford train, I think that should be our pick. My only beef with ford is he plays high, not sure if he can play at RG. Would be interesting to see him at the combine. We have a need at both RT and RG, so I am fine if he takes either spot.

I'm reminded of Alex Boone, who at 6'8" with bending issues, was thought to be too tall to play OG and was a beast for a while. 

atlbaby and Dutty Ole Bird like this

2 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Our OL needs a bad-*** mauler. 

Oklahoma Sooners Football: Cody Ford will enter the 2019 NFL Draft

After a phenomenal season at right tackle, Cody Ford will take his talents to the NFL.

By Jack Shields@jlarryshields Jan 1, 2019, 5:42pm CST

After one phenomenal season as the starting right tackle for the Oklahoma Sooners, Cody Ford has announced that he will forgo his senior season and enter the 2019 NFL Draft.

After seven combined starts at left guard through the 2016 and 2017 seasons, Ford was moved out to right tackle in 2018, where he proved to be one of the most physically-gifted offensive linemen in college football. Once he and his fellow starters along the offensive line truly began to gel midway through the season, he was really able to thrive. In fact, the whole unit thrived, which is why OU’s OL was the recipient of the 800-pound Joe Moore Award.

After entering the season as a relative unknown outside of state lines, Ford improved his draft stock more than perhaps any other player in the college game this season. With his combination of size, strength, athleticism, footwork and general nastiness, he’s going to be a very intriguing option for teams who are looking to draft a versatile offensive lineman with tremendous upside. Because of these things, Ford is listed as a first-rounder in plenty of early mock drafts. I would certainly imagine that the NFL Combine will go quite well for a guy like him, so all-in-all, this seems like a pretty smart decision on his part.

OU fans have loved watching this dude play, and I think it’s safe to say that they all look forward to watching him continue to dominate at the next level.

So where does OU go from here? That’ll largely depend on the decision of left tackle Bobby Evans, who has still not announced his plan. If he also leaves for the NFL, OU will be replacing four of its five starters along the offensive line. Fortunately, Bill Bedenbaugh has been an ace recruiter of late and has always been a fantastic developer of talent. Growing pains will be expected early in 2019, but once the unit finds its footing, it’ll likely return to its dominant ways.