Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
D.B.N.

CBS Sports mock

94 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, tactician said:

You realize he has to play three years in the minors and then another 3 to 4 years in the bigs before he can even get to arbitration. Most people cant even name a single player on the Oakland A's. How could you pass up the chance to be an iconic franchise QB? They are the most celebrated athletes in all off American sports.

Yes, I'm literally on the Braves board here every day and would be happy to welcome you over there to talk minor league ball if you're interested.

To your question, my reply led with the acknowledgment that he'd get famous quicker in the NFL. Then, I added that brain injury is a one in ten thousand thing in MLB. The stats for NFL player are depressingly different. As a minor league player selected in the top 10, Murray's MLB window is likely arrival in two to three years followed by three years of earnings under a million. After that, things escalate quickly. 

Murray has $5 million plus endorsements for the next three years followed by a window of several seasons where he'll earn millions, possibly much more depending on performance. It's a nice, safe career that will allow him to remember the names of his grandchildren after he's done. Also, it's not unprecedented for a guy who washes out of minor league baseball to wind up as an NFL QB. So, he's not even closing the door by going the safe, smart route. Drew Henson played for six seasons in the NFL after he failed at baseball. 

The situation with Murray is unusual anyway. As a top 10 MLB draft pick with a Heisman Trophy, he'll make money from endorsements and media appearances for the rest of his life, whether he ever plays a down in the NFL or not.

I haven't started my YouTube research yet but I stumbled upon this guy yesterday. Good Lawd. He will likely end up in my first round BPA group. I still think we finish in the 8-12 range when the season ends at 7:30pm ET on December 30. Sign a run stopping 1T like Bennie Logan in free agency, put this guy behind him at MLB, move Debo over to WLB and we might have something. 6'1" with 255 pounds of terror. I don't know what his 40 time is but his on field speed is impressive. He arrives with bad intentions.

Jumpin Jehosaphat likes this

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I haven't started my YouTube research yet but I stumbled up on this guy yesterday. Good Lawd. He will likely end up in my first round BPA group. I still think we will end up in the 8-12 range when the season ends at 7:30pm ET on December 30. Sign a run stoppind 1T like Bennie Logan in free agency, put this guy behind him at MLB, move Debo out to WLB and we might have something. 6'1" and 255 pounds of terror. I don't know what his 40 time is but his on field speed is impressive. He arrives with bad intentions.

Devin White is a stud, and I wouldn't hate the pick if certain players are off the board. Just think if we have a shot at Quinnen Williams, he's the BPA. Could be the best defensive player in the draft, period. Like Donald was. White is phenomenal though. Him or Simmons would be BPA if we're picking in that range probably.

20 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Devin White is a stud, and I wouldn't hate the pick if certain players are off the board. Just think if we have a shot at Quinnen Williams, he's the BPA. Could be the best defensive player in the draft, period. Like Donald was. White is phenomenal though. Him or Simmons would be BPA if we're picking in that range probably.

We'll probably win one or two more games to end up in that 8-12 range. I believe QWill be gone when we're on the clock. Devin White should be there. I would definitely consider him. Good quickness and instincts. Uncanny ability on delayed blitzes. There's your pressure from the middle. He will be a 255 pound load for RBs to pick up and can definitely get after mobile QBs that get flushed. Put him next to Debo and we're straight for years at LB. Even if we change schemes or move to a 3-4 with our next HC. 

D.B.N. and Jumpin Jehosaphat like this

32 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I haven't started my YouTube research yet but I stumbled up on this guy yesterday. Good Lawd. He will likely end up in my first round BPA group. I still think we will end up in the 8-12 range when the season ends at 7:30pm ET on December 30. Sign a run stoppind 1T like Bennie Logan in free agency, put this guy behind him at MLB, move Debo out to WLB and we might have something. 6'1" and 255 pounds of terror. I don't know what his 40 time is but his on field speed is impressive. He arrives with bad intentions.

Wow that's a bad man. His ability to read and react combined with that speed and frame is impressive.

17 minutes ago, jfalconsp said:

Wow that's a bad man. His ability to read and react combined with that speed and frame is impressive.

Put him next to Debo with a big run stopping 1T in front of em and the run defense is fixed. He definitely aint no Duke Riley. If we somehow draft him that LSU dad guy that's an Aint fan is really gonna lose his mind.

On 12/11/2018 at 0:43 PM, Atlantafan21 said:

So you’re telling me that Jon Gruden got rid of Khalil Mack to try and draft Khalil Mack? Interesting strategy.....

*a Khalil Mack that doesn't make $21m a year

On 12/11/2018 at 0:18 PM, PriMeTiiMe said:

No way he falls below #2. He's easily the best player not named Bosa.

Here's the thing though....

As it stands right now, we're picking 4th. Two of the teams in front of us are set at QB for the foreseeable future. 

I think its likely that one/both of those teams look to package their pick to a QB needy team. All of a sudden Jacksonville, Tampa Bay, the Giants, the Bengals(?), and the Broncos are all in the Top 17 picks with pretty large QB holes, with relatively talented rosters elsewhere. 

And remember....guys fall EVERY YEAR. Elite guys. The two best defensive rookies in the league were both "lock" Top 7 picks last year. One went 8, the other fell to 17. 

37 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

As it stands right now, we're picking 4th. Two of the teams in front of us are set at QB for the foreseeable future. 

I think its likely that one/both of those teams look to package their pick to a QB needy team. All of a sudden Jacksonville, Tampa Bay, the Giants, the Bengals(?), and the Broncos are all in the Top 17 picks with pretty large QB holes, with relatively talented rosters elsewhere. 

And remember....guys fall EVERY YEAR. Elite guys. The two best defensive rookies in the league were both "lock" Top 7 picks last year. One went 8, the other fell to 17. 

This is why I'm fine with losing out but one win doesn't kill us. I think at least one QB goes top three, so if we get the #3 pick, we're in the best seat possible at this point. Any lower and suddenly you're relying on too many teams to pass on top defensive talent. 

3 minutes ago, vel said:

This is why I'm fine with losing out but one win doesn't kill us. I think at least one QB goes top three, so if we get the #3 pick, we're in the best seat possible at this point. Any lower and suddenly you're relying on too many teams to pass on top defensive talent. 

There's a ton of DL talent in this draft too. I havent watched enough of any of these dudes to rank them but I know there are many viable potential difference makers. 

1 minute ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

There's a ton of DL talent in this draft too. I havent watched enough of any of these dudes to rank them but I know there are many viable potential difference makers. 

I just like having pick of the litter instead of picking after people. If Bosa is already gone and the other is a QB, we've got as close to pick of the litter. Picking in the 20s for the past 10 years has been kind of annoying, considering the talent we've missed on. 

We say every year "this is a deep draft" but the guys who go near the top of "deep drafts" tend to be that much better pros. 

vitaman likes this

3 minutes ago, vel said:

I just like having pick of the litter instead of picking after people. If Bosa is already gone and the other is a QB, we've got as close to pick of the litter. Picking in the 20s for the past 10 years has been kind of annoying, considering the talent we've missed on. 

We say every year "this is a deep draft" but the guys who go near the top of "deep drafts" tend to be that much better pros. 

Meh, I bet its a lot closer than you think it is dude. But in this particularly instance, I definitely favor the higher pick. Because we could use a "premium" prospect.

But long term, the numbers say that you're just better off with more picks than fewer picks. And our issues drafting in the 20s have likely been exacerbated by our tendency to give up two extra mid-rounders to move up. And I mean, its not like all the DL guys who get drafted up top work out. A lot of them do, for sure. But theres always risk of underperformance. 

Hopefully this will be a year where the glut of talent makes it really tough to make a bad decision. 

2 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Meh, I bet its a lot closer than you think it is dude. But in this particularly instance, I definitely favor the higher pick. Because we could use a "premium" prospect.

But long term, the numbers say that you're just better off with more picks than fewer picks. And our issues drafting in the 20s have likely been exacerbated by our tendency to give up two extra mid-rounders to move up. And I mean, its not like all the DL guys who get drafted up top work out. A lot of them do, for sure. But theres always risk of underperformance. 

Hopefully this will be a year where the glut of talent makes it really tough to make a bad decision. 

Oh trust me! I know. Vic Beasley is right in our face! Lol 

12 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I haven't started my YouTube research yet but I stumbled upon this guy yesterday. Good Lawd. He will likely end up in my first round BPA group. I still think we finish in the 8-12 range when the season ends at 7:30pm ET on December 30. Sign a run stopping 1T like Bennie Logan in free agency, put this guy behind him at MLB, move Debo over to WLB and we might have something. 6'1" with 255 pounds of terror. I don't know what his 40 time is but his on field speed is impressive. He arrives with bad intentions.

I would definitely be down with this pick. Just to spite Stain fans, plus our LB corps would be incredible. 

On 12/13/2018 at 0:01 AM, jidady said:

Yes, I'm literally on the Braves board here every day and would be happy to welcome you over there to talk minor league ball if you're interested.

To your question, my reply led with the acknowledgment that he'd get famous quicker in the NFL. Then, I added that brain injury is a one in ten thousand thing in MLB. The stats for NFL player are depressingly different. As a minor league player selected in the top 10, Murray's MLB window is likely arrival in two to three years followed by three years of earnings under a million. After that, things escalate quickly. 

Murray has $5 million plus endorsements for the next three years followed by a window of several seasons where he'll earn millions, possibly much more depending on performance. It's a nice, safe career that will allow him to remember the names of his grandchildren after he's done. Also, it's not unprecedented for a guy who washes out of minor league baseball to wind up as an NFL QB. So, he's not even closing the door by going the safe, smart route. Drew Henson played for six seasons in the NFL after he failed at baseball. 

The situation with Murray is unusual anyway. As a top 10 MLB draft pick with a Heisman Trophy, he'll make money from endorsements and media appearances for the rest of his life, whether he ever plays a down in the NFL or not.

The only argument for baseball is injury risk. Money, fame, endorsements all side with being a NFL QB.

On 12/13/2018 at 10:53 AM, Francis York Morgan said:

I could live with this pick but I’d keep Debo at MLB if we ran a 4-3 and move White to OLB. I don’t think this would be the best scenario though. 

The best scenario if we drafted White, would be to switch to a 3-4. This would be able to utilize our fast LBs to our advantage. I also think this would help out Beasley as well. 

Edited by Sidecar Falcon
FalconFanSince1970 likes this

22 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I think when it’s all said and done we’ll end up with the 3rd overall pick, with 49ers and Raiders ahead of us. Raiders will be the key along with Herbert declaring. I think Gruden releases Carr this offseason.

Gruden has had it in for McKenzie players since he got there. When this happens the natural speculation would be that Gruden “must” pick a QB. I think Gruden use this as a way to trade down with QB needy teams and get more picks. The teams that need a QB are Giants (less likely), Broncos, Jags, Phins, and Skins. There could also be some dark horse teams like Bucs and Bengals depending on if they get a new HC. But then again Gruden might just pick Williams to be his “Sapp”.

I think that’s the only way I see us getting one of the big two defensive lineman is the QB scenario. This gets draft is loaded with defensive linemen. Personally I think we should trade down and pick up a few of these lineman as well as Thompson. I think that’ll give us the most bang for our buck. 

3 hours ago, tactician said:

The only argument for baseball is injury risk. Money, fame, endorsements all side with being a NFL QB.

We're not talking about injury risk. We're talking about injury certainty. He'll be lucky if he can put on a shirt without his partner's help if he plays several years in the NFL. One of my wife's co-workers is married to a former NFL offensive lineman. His body is mush, and he's been told he has CTE, too. And he's a gigantic man, not an undersized QB. And I as I said, he'll have money, fame, and endorsements no matter what. He's a top 10 draft pick in one sport who won the Heisman Trophy in another. It's the age of the influencer, and his resume is inimitable.